Match Thread vs Crewe (1 Viewer)

Jackoskyblue

Anyone at the game how did Wilson play? Sounded like he made an impact going from radio commentary

RichieGunns

Ive said this a number of times of late - there is too much pressure on Clarke and Baker to score. We need more threat from the left. McSheffrey is finished and gives us nothing. We should desperately try and get a loan in to boost us here.

I agree. Macca just hasn't offered any scoring options this season and doesn't look like he will.

But loans are probably out of our remit because of ACL freezing our accounts!

Otis

After all that bemoaning of missed chances, i was distracted and missed our first and just caught King Leon ( ;) ) putting the second away!

Two little two late though (see what I did there ;) )

Another story of missed chances costing us which is a worry!

The bloke on SSN said that if we had taken our chances tonight it would have been a whitewash.

We scored two and won and were desperately unlucky not to have scored at least two in the home leg.

I remember the Yeovil scout who was there that day saying we should have won 7-3.

Sent from my KIS using Tapatalk 2

stupot07

Ive said this a number of times of late - there is too much pressure on Clarke and Baker to score.We need more threat from the left. McSheffrey is finished and gives us nothing. We should desperately try and get a loan in to boost us here.
Agree - we've gone from relying on Mcgoldrick and baker for goals to relying on Clarke and baker.

We need more goals from sheff, a central midfielder and Elliott.

SkyBlue_Bear83

And yet for 180 minutes we were losing te tie 3-0.

Nothing to do with the quality of Crewe? They had less shots and scored more goals - they were better and more economical at finishing.

We gift wrapped them the tie in those 10 minutes, any half decent side would have scored a couple of goals in those last 10 at the Ricoh, they didn't have to play good to score their goals. Fair play to them but we shot ourselves in the foot

RichieGunns

Is it time to give fleck a run on the left?

I dunno on that one I'm afraid.

He seems like a pocket player or down the middle player.

Moussa has played on the left before but from what I remember he is again better coming down the middle.

Could give him a go! I really can't understand why Macca is still playing. He needs to be dropped to the bench for a few games until he sorts himself out!

He's good at making runs but he thinks too much of himself and not of the players around him!

RichieGunns

We gift wrapped them the tie in those 10 minutes, any half decent side would have scored a couple of goals in those last 10 at the Ricoh, they didn't have to play good to score their goals. Fair play to them but we shot ourselves in the foot

Good comment mate!

Totally agree with you there!

Brighton Sky Blue

I dunno on that one I'm afraid.

He seems like a pocket player or down the middle player.

Moussa has played on the left before but from what I remember he is again better coming down the middle.

Could give him a go! I really can't understand why Macca is still playing. He needs to be dropped to the bench for a few games until he sorts himself out!

He's good at making runs but he thinks too much of himself and not of the players around him!

Sheff? I'm still haunted by him missing that open goal against Shrewsbury.

ohitsaidwalker king power

Wasn't our tie...we didn't play well tonight, but had chances most notably Leon just before half time and Baker llsecond half.
Obvious to say but the best team didn't win the tie, it's a real shame. Ricoh result was a freak beyond reasoning. But that's football.
If there is anything to be had from tonight it's the fact that we can score against them and having won need to press home our undoubted superiority on Saturday. 3 pts a must.

Pusb

dadgad

When Sheffrey last make any significant impact on any game? Cant even remember when he last scored??

Brighton Sky Blue

We carried Sheff tonight. Was nothing but a passenger. Hopefully Carsley can see past the 'cov kid' status and drop him. Fleck would offer more than he does although im not ken on Fleck playing on te left so maybe it would be more suited to Moussa.

How much 'trouble' was there by the way SW?

Nonleagueherewecome

Anyone at the game how did Wilson play? Sounded like he made an impact going from radio commentary

He didn't get stabbed, so it's an improvement. Sorry folks...

Nonleagueherewecome

Is it time to give fleck a run on the left?

It'd have to be a gentle jog or a saunter, not a run...and I'm a fan! Our best passer of the ball IMO, but is a liability in all other aspects of his play. We do have to get more out of him, but I fear an Eastwood-type situation.

Caught the tail end of the interview on Radio Stoke with the Crewe manager who quoted "I think that we controlled the game and overall deserved to go through. The Coventry players and staff complimented us and said Crewe deserved to go through also."
Well they do say that football is a game of opinions or..... 'lies'! Let's hope for karma on saturday.

Brighton Sky Blue

It'd have to be a gentle jog or a saunter, not a run...and I'm a fan! Our best passer of the ball IMO, but is a liability in all other aspects of his play. We do have to get more out of him, but I fear an Eastwood-type situation.

I think I said when Fleck first signed that his best position would be an attacking midfield/playmaker role behind the striker(s). His game at Rangers was all about that (and this in a team carrying Kris Boyd up front), and it's where he'd do the most damage. He still has good technical ability-but his fitness has long been shoddy, even by SPL standards.

Brighton Sky Blue

Caught the tail end of the interview on Radio Stoke with the Crewe manager who quoted "I think that we controlled the game and overall deserved to go through. The Coventry players and staff complimented us and said Crewe deserved to go through also."
Well they do say that football is a game of opinions or..... 'lies'! Let's hope for karma on saturday.

He should be thanking his goalkeeper and nobody else (except perhaps Chris Dunn).

stupot07

I think I said when Fleck first signed that his best position would be an attacking midfield/playmaker role behind the striker(s). His game at Rangers was all about that (and this in a team carrying Kris Boyd up front), and it's where he'd do the most damage. He still has good technical ability-but his fitness has long been shoddy, even by SPL standards.
Problem is he's looked poor playing this position in the 4231 behind a lone striker, he hasn't got the right mobility or inclination to make runs in behind Clarke and become the second striker. He may be ok in the diamond behind 2 strikers.

He has looked best as the deepest midfielder when he is given time and space like in the first half vs Shrewsbury at home. But that position also has its pitfalls....

Brighton Sky Blue

Problem is he's looked poor playing this position in the 4231 behind a lone striker, he hasn't got the right mobility or inclination to make runs in behind Clarke and become the second striker. He may be ok in the diamond behind 2 strikers.

He has looked best as the deepest midfielder when he is given time and space like in the first half vs Shrewsbury at home. But that position also has its pitfalls....

I put this down purely to the physicality demanded of most teams at League 1 level. He is a luxury player who will be no good when asked to do anything beyond play pretty passes and open sides up; at any rate, creating chances, his main forte, isn't something we're struggling to do at this moment in time.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
How much 'trouble' was there by the way SW?

Didnt witness any after this game. Police were stood around the front of the corner stands (both Cov and Crewe) but did very little even when a flare was thrown at us (although a fan did ask an officer at the time of our goal about it and he said 'we will deal with it' and that was how I was distracted for our goal).

Got straight onto the coach after the game and although i seen a number of police running towards the train station, it appeared calmer outside than it did on the inside

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Oh and Clarke got better and more into the game second half. Do think hes isolated in what he can do most if the time though (although he took his header well for the goal).

Think the midfield needs tweaking a bit. Possibly Sheff having a 'rest' and Flwck or Moussa coming in to play closer to the front two.

Bailey looked to have knackered something tonight aswell so i would be surprised if he plays on Saturday

Mr pot

We carried Sheff tonight. Was nothing but a passenger. Hopefully Carsley can see past the 'cov kid' status and drop him. Fleck would offer more than he does although im not ken on Fleck playing on te left so maybe it would be more suited to Moussa.

He lost his cov kid status when he went to blues. The cov kid left in him is the coke he once snorted uo his nose

You'll Never Beat McPake

Baker seemed to be playing too deep snd infield, he had a poor game. In 1st half he and Christie saw very little of the ball.
Leon did well considering everytime the ball went near him the 2 crewe centrebacks were crawling all over him. Wilson looked keen and made a good impression. Cameron looked scared to death and did not know what he was doing half the time. Sheff was fired up at start and lost focus. Should have made better contribution. Bailey also out of sorts. Dickinson did well in 1s half. Overall team performance 6/10.

Users who are viewing this thread