Most goals by of City player in first team match (1 Viewer)

DannyThomas_1981

Micky Quinn scored the first ever opening day hat-trick in the history of the premier league in 1993 against Arsenal. Dion Dublin also had an opening day hat-trick against Chelsea in 97. It’s a very elite club the club of opening day hat-tricks in the premier league, only 9 players IIRC and two are Sky Blue.
And classically Tony, one was against us. Opening game of the 96 season; huge aspirations given the summer signing of McAllister. This was it - the big time. Forest at home.

Followed by the obligatory Kevin Campbell hat-trick as he walked through our defence. An absolute shambles by Big Ron. We didn’t even score. I believe that Forest ended up relegated that season as well to make that performance even worse on reflection.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

And classically Tony, one was against us. Opening game of the 96 season; huge aspirations given the summer signing of McAllister. This was it - the big time. Forest at home.

Followed by the obligatory Kevin Campbell hat-trick as he walked through our defence. An absolute shambles by Big Ron. We didn’t even score. I believe that Forest ended up relegated that season as well to make that performance even worse on reflection.
[/QUOTE

covboy1987

David Cross scored two hat tricks in one season. The first was on the opening day of the season in a 4-1 win at Everton, I was at that game. I missed his second hat trick which was on the last day of the season away at Burnley, another win.
I was at both games when David cross scored hatricks first and last games of the season - I was also at goodison park first game of the season 1975 when we trounced everton 4-1 Mick ferguson got a hatrick

NortonSkyBlue

I was at both games when David cross scored hatricks first and last games of the season - I was also at goodison park first game of the season 1975 when we trounced everton 4-1 Mick ferguson got a hatrick
It was David Cross that scored the 3 goals in 75 at Goodison.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Dions opening day hatrick against the nouveau riche Chelsea......it was roasting hot that day....I nearly melted ..had about 7 pints to keep me hydrated

ovduk78

I remember Mick Ferguson scoring another couple, 1 in a 3-1 win at Wolves and the other in a 4-2 win against Man City where I think he scored all his goals in the last 9 minutes. Does anyone know who has the most hat-tricks for us, Ferguson can't be far off certainly in Div 1/PL?

oscillatewildly

Dublin scored a hatrick against Sheffield Wednesday in a midweek televised game. We took the lead three times but in typical City fashion managed to lose 4-3.
I think the fastest hat trick I have ssen live was by Nigel Clough as he helped Forest come back from 4-0 down (Kevin Gallagher hat trick). He must have scored his 3 inside 10 minutes just before half time.
I also saw Fergie score 4 at home to Ipswich once. They put Ferguson 4 Ipswich 0 on the score board.
I was at that Shef Wed away game - it's exactly 25 yrs ago. Adge, tell 'em!

hopesprings

Two hat-tricks in the same game by Coventry players. I think that would have been a first for the club.
Bobby Gould scored a few hat ricks I think one for sure was a Friday night game I think it was the first time the electronic scoreboard was used and it had 999 and the photo appeared on the back of the Saturday papers with a headline something along the lines of but no help for ??? I had a feeling it was Ipswich but may be getting mixed up with the Ferguson one mentioned earlier

oscillatewildly

It’s going to be a short lived thread when you start out with a 5.
I remember Geoff Hurst scoring 6 for West Ham against Stoke
Didn't Denis Law score 6 (possibly 7?) for Man City in a cup tie which became abandoned?
I'm pretty sure he managed to score in the rearranged fixture too but Man City lost!

clint van damme

The mention of Cyrille Regis in the Terry Gibson thread set me thinking...

What's the most goals posters have seen a City player score in a first team match?

I'll start the ball rolling, I saw Cyrille knock 5 past the mighty Chester City in a League Cup second round tie at Highfield Road on a chilly Tuesday night in October 1985.

Any other outstanding performances others remember?

Was at the Chester game. Remember the score board displaying Cyril 5 Chester 0 or something like that at one point.
Was it 7-2 in the end?

DazzleTommyDazzle

I remember the Fergie 4, now you've reminded me.

Kevin Gallacher, I always think people underrate him.

Which was particularly special as Ipswich had been interested in Fergie, but Bobby Robson been reported in that morning's papers as saying that he wanted to see how he did against his defence before deciding whether to bid!

Grendel

I remember Mick Ferguson scoring another couple, 1 in a 3-1 win at Wolves and the other in a 4-2 win against Man City where I think he scored all his goals in the last 9 minutes. Does anyone know who has the most hat-tricks for us, Ferguson can't be far off certainly in Div 1/PL?

Ferguson scored 4 in one game I’m sure ah seen someone has said already

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Ian Rush? Same season Gibson got his hat-trick against them.

Well remembered! It was Ian Rush who got 4 against us, but it was the season after Gibson got his hat-trick (that season Rush only managed 3 against us at Anfield - lightweight). The 4 goals by Rush were scored in one of the matches when Gould insisted on playing Perry Suckling in goal and we were routinely getting hammered (Southampton scored 8 against us, including hat-tricks by Wallace and Moran).

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Was at the Chester game. Remember the score board displaying Cyril 5 Chester 0 or something like that at one point.
Was it 7-2 in the end?

The score was 7-2. I don't remember the scoreboard thing, possibly it was done after the final whistle (like they did for Mick Ferguson). I do remember the size of the gate was pitiful and the club didn't do a proper programme for the match, it was some flimsy cut down version.

Irish Sky Blue

Bobby Gould scored a few hat ricks I think one for sure was a Friday night game I think it was the first time the electronic scoreboard was used and it had 999 and the photo appeared on the back of the Saturday papers with a headline something along the lines of but no help for ??? I had a feeling it was Ipswich but may be getting mixed up with the Ferguson one mentioned earlier
I do remember a Bobby Gould hat trick against Burnley in a 5-1 win in our first season in the first division. He had just come back from an extended spell out with injury and that was our first win in quite a number of games. I used to keep a scrap book of Telegraph reports on City games (sad I know) and the headline for that report was ' Dynamic Bobby back in business and so are City'. It had a picture of Gerry Baker standing inside the netting of the goal at the West End with his hands raised in triumph and another of Jim Thompson, the Burnley keeper flying through, and clutching, thin air as a rocket shot from Gould was already pictured in the back of the net. Ask me what I did yesterday and I haven't a clue, but a report from 53 years ago is as clear as day.

henry the wasp

Well remembered! It was Ian Rush who got 4 against us, but it was the season after Gibson got his hat-trick (that season Rush only managed 3 against us at Anfield - lightweight). The 4 goals by Rush were scored in one of the matches when Gould insisted on playing Perry Suckling in goal and we were routinely getting hammered (Southampton scored 8 against us, including hat-tricks by Wallace and Moran).
My mistake. Could have sworn the Gibson hat-trick, the 8-2 and the Rush 4 were the same season.

Irish Sky Blue

My favourite ever game featured a Fergie hat trick against Man City, probably the game you mention. It was a midweek game, Man City were top of the League, unbeaten and had a cracking team. In the first half they took us to pieces and despite Fergie equalising their early goal against the run of play, they scored a second and were 2-1 up at half time.
Gordon Milne must have given the team talk to end all team talks as in the second half we were sensational. I have never seen a performance from a team like that before or since. We were superb and Man City couldn't handle us. There was wave after wave of attacks from ( the real and only) Sky Blues but we just couldn't score. Finally with about 15 minutes to go we broke though. Fergie scored another two and Wallace the other. The 5-4 Christmas game against Norwich I know is many people's favourite and was later in the same season than this game, but I just loved the way we played against an excellent Man City. Had we played Pele's 1970 Brazil team that night I am convinced we would have won we were that good!

Last edited:

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

My favourite ever game featured a Fergie hat trick against Man City, probably the game you mention. It was a midweek game, Man City were top of the League, unbeaten and had a cracking team. In the first half they took us to pieces and despite Fergie equalising their early goal against the run of play, they scored a second and were 2-1 up at half time.
Gordon Milne must have given the team talk to end all team talks as in the second half we were sensational. I have never seen a performance from a team like that before or since. We were superb and Man City couldn't handle us. There was wave after wave of attacks from ( the real and only) Sky Blues) but we just couldn't score. Finally with about 15 minutes to go we broke though. Fergie scored another two and Wallace the other. The 5-4 Christmas game against Norwich I know is many people's favourite and was later in the same season than this game, but I just loved the way we played against an excellent Man City. Had we played Pele's 1970 Brazil team that night I am convinced we would have won we were that good!

Gordon Milne was very underrated at Coventry - his 1977-78 Coventry team was one of my favourites. His later record in Turkey shows what a great manager he really was - but we decided to go with Dave Sexton instead.

Grendel

Gordon Milne was very underrated at Coventry - his 1977-78 Coventry team was one of my favourites. His later record in Turkey shows what a great manager he really was - but we decided to go with Dave Sexton instead.

The counter to that is that he did when he had money blew it.

Wasn’t Larry Lloyd the most expensive defender signed at the time in the uk? There was also the complete and utter fiasco regarding Collier and Jones. Of course by the end players were just sold underneath him by Hill who was useless on a McGinnitty scale as chairman.

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Wasn’t Larry Lloyd the most expensive defender signed at the time in the uk? There was also the complete and utter fiasco regarding Collier and Jones. Of course by the end players were just sold underneath him by Hill who was useless on a McGinnitty scale as chairman.

Oh, I think you'll find there were plenty of successful signings ..and he didn't sign a podgy, washed-up midfielder and then leave an Irish international out of the team because of personal spite.

Johhny Blue

We broke down on the way to that wolves game, arrived at half time 1-0 down and ended up in the wolves end. That was a fun second half

Irish Sky Blue

Blyth, Gillespie, Cross, Wallace, Powell, McDonald, Holton, Stein, Hutchison, Yorath, just some of his great signings off the top of my head.
Lloyd went on to win the European Cup twice with Forest so his pedigree was good. If you listen to what he said about his time at Coventry, he admits his attitude was shocking, deliberately booting the ball away during training games etc. He got his money back on Collier, Jones did in fact play a few games for the club while perhaps not reaching his potential.

Irish Sky Blue

That team was my favourite City team, even more than the cup final team, as they played such great,entertaining football

ovduk78

Gordon Milne must have given the team talk to end all team talks as in the second half we were sensational. I have never seen a performance from a team like that before or since. We were superb and Man City couldn't handle us. There was wave after wave of attacks from ( the real and only) Sky Blues but we just couldn't score. Finally with about 15 minutes to go we broke though. Fergie scored another two and Wallace the other. The 5-4 Christmas game against Norwich I know is many people's favourite and was later in the same season than this game, but I just loved the way we played against an excellent Man City. Had we played Pele's 1970 Brazil team that night I am convinced we would have won we were that good!
We beat Derby 4-2 in another brilliant midweek game in 1978 and again were 2-1 down with about 10 minutes to go and won with late goals from Bobby MacDonald & 2 from Ian Wallace. Tommy Docherty was Derby's manager and was found guilty of perjury in court on the day of the match and I remember that we seemed to sing in the West End "Docherty's a liar!" non-stop.

Users who are viewing this thread