Observation! (1 Viewer)

CCFC88

Wasps offered Coventry something they didn't have, a professional Rugby club, something it has only ever had for 1 year.

If you honestly think CCFC are going to move to any of the places you've mentioned and generate as much revenue as they do currently whilst retaining their league status you are absolutely crackers.

albatross

All this fixating on WASPS achieves nothing. Operating on the premise that a failure for WASPS will lead to a resurgent CCFC is also preposterous. CCFC were failing under SISU long before WASPS got here so there is nothing to suggest from the past that SISU would or could make CCFC a success if even WASPS left.

stupot07

All this fixating on WASPS achieves nothing. Operating on the premise that a failure for WASPS will lead to a resurgent CCFC is also preposterous. CCFC were failing under SISU long before WASPS got here so there is nothing to suggest from the past that SISU would or could make CCFC a success if even WASPS left.

You can fixate on both. You can be both anti sisu and anti sisu, it isn't an either/or.

No one thinks wasps leaving = ccfc flourishing. No ome thinks wasos are the reason for our downfall. However wasps being here will always hinder the club. That's fine, if people don't want to talk about wasps or take any action against them, they should accept that it likely puts a glass ceiling up, which means we're going to struggle to find a decent owner and going to struggle as a yoyo club between league one and championship at best, as our revenue making potential of being a 25 day per annum rental deal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

chiefdave

Indeed there isn't but there is far more chance of SISU leaving if CCFC owning the Ricoh once again becomes a possibility.

NorthernWisdom

Wasps offered Coventry something they didn't have, a professional Rugby club, something it has only ever had for 1 year.

That'd be like suggesting Bradford have only had a top flight team for two seasons, failing to take into account any pre Premier League seasons. Therefore, Watford should move to Valley Parade.

That disrespects the fact that Coventry were among the strongest rugby clubs around for a couple of decades post-war.

Let's arbitrarily pick some dates to make a ;'difference' eh, and miss the fact that Wasps succeeding in embedding themselves here, if they do, makes it more likely that othert clubs will seek to embed themselves wherever they're offered the best deal.

CCFC88

That'd be like suggesting Bradford have only had a top flight team for two seasons, failing to take into account any pre Premier League seasons. Therefore, Watford should move to Valley Parade.

That disrespects the fact that Coventry were among the strongest rugby clubs around for a couple of decades post-war.

Let's arbitrarily pick some dates to make a ;'difference' eh, and miss the fact that Wasps succeeding in embedding themselves here, if they do, makes it more likely that othert clubs will seek to embed themselves wherever they're offered the best deal.

I suggested nothing of the sort, Bradford City have been a professional football club for an eternity it has nothing to do with league status, how many professional Rugby clubs were there in Coventry pre Wasps?

I not sure why you think Coventry being half decent at rugby 60 years ago has any effect on Wasps moving here?

torchomatic

True we were failing long before Wasps. Then CCC did that deal with them, so how do you rate our future prospects now? Do you genuinely believe Wasps having the Ricoh will have no affect on the football club? If not, why?

Last edited:

CCFC88

Stick a reminder on this thread and come back to me when an English professional football "franchises", if your view is correct I shan't be waiting too long.

NorthernWisdom

It astonishes me that, having seen the commodification of football and sport in the modern era (and the consequences thereof), that anybody would even bother to defend sport-as-business.

The path we've been on for a number of years is an inevitable one unless fans stop being so parochial, and realise they need a united voice across clubs and sports to stop what we buy into changing irrevocably.

NorthernWisdom

I suggested nothing of the sort, Bradford City have been a professional football club for an eternity it has nothing to do with league status, how many professional Rugby clubs were there in Coventry pre Wasps?

I not sure why you think Coventry being half decent at rugby 60 years ago has any effect on Wasps moving here?

Given professionalism is a modern construct, I'd say comparing a (less successful!) football club in Bradford and showing how the dates chosen are disengenuous are... apt.

Cup winners in the 70s btw, semi-finalists in the 80s and, if you're being pedantic, CRFC have never had a top flight team during the professional era. A league structure is also a modern invention for rugby btw.

CCFC88

It astonishes me that, having seen the commodification of football and sport in the modern era (and the consequences thereof), that anybody would even bother to defend sport-as-business.

The path we've been on for a number of years is an inevitable one unless fans stop being so parochial, and realise they need a united voice across clubs and sports to stop what we buy into changing irrevocably.

I think you're paranoid, like I said, lets come back to this when these franchises start taking off, not the odd one that slips through the net in MK's case.

Astute

Stick a reminder on this thread and come back to me when an English professional football "franchises", if your view is correct I shan't be waiting too long.
Wimbledon to Milton Keynes.

It all starts with one side doing it. And now it isn't just a rugger thing.

So what would you say if it happened to us? A good mate of mine was a Wimbledon supporter. They thought it would never happen. Yes they had ground problems. But they couldn't lose their club.......could they?....

idm1975

Whilst watching the game Saturday block 24 I saw this chap with a shit load of wasp tickets and he stopped and talked to the guy on the end and next thing I see him ripping off 6 tickets and given them to the guy then he sat down for 5 minutes and went to another one of our supporters talked to him and gave him tickets and moved to block 23. I think wasps are using our support for bait
If someone offers me wasps tickets i would gladly take the whole book off him, then go to the toilet and wipe my arse on them and then give them to hadji

Astute

cheeky edit there. I thought better of you.
Hadn't finished post. Using phone at work. Posted instead of moving down page. So I finished my post. But same difference. You can't say that you will have a long wait for something to happen when it already has.

I remember saying that we would never move to Northampton. What happened there? And we only came back because CCC handed the Ricoh to Wasps. Nothing to do with low attendances. So if Wasps never turned up where would we be playing now? Would CCC have handed the Ricoh over unencumbered? Would you be happy watching us at Northampton after all this time?

CCFC88

Hadn't finished post. Using phone at work. Posted instead of moving down page. So I finished my post. But same difference. You can't say that you will have a long wait for something to happen when it already has.

I remember saying that we would never move to Northampton. What happened there? And we only came back because CCC handed the Ricoh to Wasps. Nothing to do with low attendances. So if Wasps never turned up where would we be playing now? Would CCC have handed the Ricoh over unencumbered? Would you be happy watching us at Northampton after all this time?

If you'd read the whole thread you would see that we had dealt with the MK dons issue as a one off, my statement to NW was clearly meant in the future, he understood that, not sure why you didn't.

Astute

If you'd read the whole thread you would see that we had dealt with the MK dons issue as a one off, my statement to NW was clearly meant in the future, he understood that, not sure why you didn't.
So if we deal with the SISU thing as a one off it will make it OK?

You were saying that it won't happen. No explanation why it won't though. If it can happen once it can happen again unless the rules are tightened up. And as we saw from the FL with our move to Northampton they just tweak or change the rules as needed.

Or do you think that they would happily leave themselves open to legal action from SISU by not letting them do what is moraly wrong but nothing wrong legally?

If the FL had any less balls than they now have they would all be women.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

you will never see it coming
I can see a disclaimer coming ?

We cannot Condone aggressive behaviour !!! :banghead:

hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Tonylinc

I'm telling you here and now that Wasps and CCFC will, in a few year's time, be under the same ownership and it makes perfect sense to me.

Captain Dart

Telford, Yorkshire, Belfast, Dublin, London, Plymouth, Glasgow, Portsmouth to name a few would have a fighting chance.

Three naive thoughts you've got:

Firstly that the current status quo remains as such if the likes of Wasps are accepted wrt geographical immobility, both at a club and a league level;

Assuming the same volume of gates are needed from the off, or at all;

That other football clubs might not disappear, leaving holes. Surivival of the fittest allows for others to prey on those spaces, and take them over. That applies to Coventry as well - perhaps Hull might fancy creating Coventry Tigers...

Belfast, Dublin and Glasgow are not in England.
Portsmouth is occupied.
London is heavily occupied.
Yorkshire is heavily occupied.

So no.

Astute

Belfast, Dublin and Glasgow are not in England.
Portsmouth is occupied.
London is heavily occupied.
Yorkshire is heavily occupied.

So no.
Yorkshire has lots of land to build a ground. And I have heard many times that it is important to have our own stadium.

Captain Dart

Yorkshire has lots of land to build a ground. And I have heard many times that it is important to have our own stadium.
Which Yorkshire town/city does not have a professional football club?

duffer

Ooh, I can answer that. One.

Coventry RFC (est. 1874, in Coventry) were a professional club well before London Wasps came here. They had paid full-time staff, their own ground, and a number of paid full-time players, and when Wasps arrived they still plied their trade in the third division of rugby (where their crowds are far above the typical level for that division). By any definition that's a professional club - they don't just pitch up on a Saturday and pick their team from a bunch of assorted postman, milkmen and bank clerks depending on who is on shift that weekend. In 96-97 they were very nearly a Premiership club, which seems to be your rather unusual definition of 'professional'. Bradford City haven't been in the top flight since 2001, and were only recently in the fourth division by way of contrast, though you don't doubt their professional status.

The fact that you didn't seem to know that about CRFC rather highlights some holes in your argument, which in any case seems to be based around the concept of commerce rather than morals. I'm not clear, are you for franchises, or aren't you, or does it only matter to you if it happens to a team that you support?

So, what if CCFC move away to Northampton for a while again, or Kettering or Walsall? What if they build a permanent ground in Rugby or Hinckley or somewhere else in the Warwickshire or Leicestershire hinterlands? It'll be no use complaining on moral grounds if you're happy for Wasps to roll up here - that would surely be hypocrisy. And if our owners say that it's necessary for the club to survive, then what other argument can you possibly have?

JulianDarbyFTW

Is it Wasps fault we're in this mess? No. Does their presence help us? No. Would CCFC have more options if Wasps left? Yes.

I don't think many people actively blame Wasps for our plight, but they do harbour resentment that they seem to have waltzed in and become the darlings of the council overnight. That's not Wasps fault, but it is what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread