Observation! (1 Viewer)

Calista

I’ve made this argument before and got crucified for it, and no doubt will again.

A lot of the things on this thread would make perfect sense if Wasps were not already a franchise before the Coventry move. They went a long way out of London to Wycombe (which already had, and still has, a rugby club) and largely flipped their supporter base. So any protests about moving to the Ricoh were barely more than a whimper. I mean, how could people say “this is High Wycombe’s club, you can’t move it”? FFS if a rugby club HAD been torn from its roots, and its supporters HAD waged a proper protest, CCFC fans would have marched with them.

So as far as I am concerned, Wasps moving on to Coventry sets no precedent for (say) Worcester Rugby Club to move to Swindon*, or indeed for Coventry City Football Club to move even as far as Bedworth*. Both of those things would be completely unacceptable, just like the MK Dons thing.

Basically, a top sporting franchise was up for grabs, and Coventry City Council had every incentive to grab it because the only alternative was to capitulate to an organisation that had (in the words of Les Reid himself) made an “aggressive attempt to distress and acquire the Ricoh Arena”. The move to Sixfields was an integral part of that – before that I wasn’t even anti-SISU.

I say all the above as someone who for years was convinced that the Ricoh was the passport to the Sky Blues’ place at the top table of English football, and I’m fucking pissed off that we never took that opportunity, and that we’ve descended to such lows.

I respect all the passionately anti-franchise views. I just can’t go along with this (supposedly self-evident) argument that if you opposed Sixfields you’re a hypocrite if you don’t take a moral stance against Wasps. Look elsewhere for the cause of our shitty problems.

* I have no reason to suppose that either will happen, but one would surprise me a lot more than the other :(

duffer

I’ve made this argument before and got crucified for it, and no doubt will again.

A lot of the things on this thread would make perfect sense if Wasps were not already a franchise before the Coventry move. They went a long way out of London to Wycombe (which already had, and still has, a rugby club) and largely flipped their supporter base. So any protests about moving to the Ricoh were barely more than a whimper. I mean, how could people say “this is High Wycombe’s club, you can’t move it”? FFS if a rugby club HAD been torn from its roots, and its supporters HAD waged a proper protest, CCFC fans would have marched with them.

So as far as I am concerned, Wasps moving on to Coventry sets no precedent for (say) Worcester Rugby Club to move to Swindon*, or indeed for Coventry City Football Club to move even as far as Bedworth*. Both of those things would be completely unacceptable, just like the MK Dons thing.

Basically, a top sporting franchise was up for grabs, and Coventry City Council had every incentive to grab it because the only alternative was to capitulate to an organisation that had (in the words of Les Reid himself) made an “aggressive attempt to distress and acquire the Ricoh Arena”. The move to Sixfields was an integral part of that – before that I wasn’t even anti-SISU.

I say all the above as someone who for years was convinced that the Ricoh was the passport to the Sky Blues’ place at the top table of English football, and I’m fucking pissed off that we never took that opportunity, and that we’ve descended to such lows.

I respect all the passionately anti-franchise views. I just can’t go along with this (supposedly self-evident) argument that if you opposed Sixfields you’re a hypocrite if you don’t take a moral stance against Wasps. Look elsewhere for the cause of our shitty problems.

* I have no reason to suppose that either will happen, but one would surprise me a lot more than the other :(

Then with respect you've answered your own question. Wasps most certainly were not a franchise before they moved here. They'd moved around a few grounds in North/West London, were described by their owner when he purchased them as a 'London' club, had their base of operations and their academy in London, and most of their fans were from... wait for it, London.

A number of Wasps fans weren't exactly thrilled by their move to Wycombe, but it is at least within a reasonable distance of London, and their academy never moved. It's a convenient fiction to portray Wasps as some sort of nomadic franchise. Plenty of their fans protested, and a number haven't come with them - if you want to see the hurt it caused, then have a read here...

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/394/130/032/keep-wasps-rfc-inaround-london/

"As an 80-yr old great-grandmother who spent many a freezing Saturday afternoon on the touchline at Sudbury watching her husband play for Wasps in the ’50s - and who currently makes trips to Adams Park with her rugby-playing grandsons when they visit from France - I am devastated that the club is relocating to Coventry. With two sons who are ‘birth members’ of the Wasps and a three-year old great-grandson looking forward to joining, I cannot believe that I have watched my last ‘live’ home game. Is there no way we can prevent this move?"

"The final betrayal of your long suffering fans. You took Wasps an hour down the M40 to the far end of a trading estate and wondered why your crowds went down .You now use this as an excuse to move into the midlands, even farther away. You are presumably hoping to take support from Lecester and Northants. You are committing commercial suicide. Wasps are a WEST LONDON club. Wake up before you destroy the club I have supported for 25 years or more."

"As a Londoner who has supported a fabulous team for many years through thick and thin, including relocating to the home counties myself, it is outrageous that another more suitable ground closer to the club's fans and roots could not be identified. I am not alone in making a 160 mile round trip from my area for a home match. I might be alone when it becomes 360 miles in December. A very sad decision. A very uncaring decision by those who made it. I shall always be a Wasp but this is a huge mistake."

There are plenty of similar stories both there and elsewhere - again it's a myth that this didn't hurt Wasps fans in any way more than it would hurt us if CCFC move out of Coventry, and that they didn't protest.

I'm afraid that my opinion is that if you're happy to try to justify Wasps moving here, then in reality your opinion on franchising is that it's OK as long as it doesn't happen to a team that you support.

Sky Blue Kid

Then with respect you've answered your own question. Wasps most certainly were not a franchise before they moved here. They'd moved around a few grounds in North/West London, were described by their owner when he purchased them as a 'London' club, had their base of operations and their academy in London, and most of their fans were from... wait for it, London.

A number of Wasps fans weren't exactly thrilled by their move to Wycombe, but it is at least within a reasonable distance of London, and their academy never moved. It's a convenient fiction to portray Wasps as some sort of nomadic franchise. Plenty of their fans protested, and a number haven't come with them - if you want to see the hurt it caused, then have a read here...

"As an 80-yr old great-grandmother who spent many a freezing Saturday afternoon on the touchline at Sudbury watching her husband play for Wasps in the ’50s - and who currently makes trips to Adams Park with her rugby-playing grandsons when they visit from France - I am devastated that the club is relocating to Coventry. With two sons who are ‘birth members’ of the Wasps and a three-year old great-grandson looking forward to joining, I cannot believe that I have watched my last ‘live’ home game. Is there no way we can prevent this move?"

"The final betrayal of your long suffering fans. You took Wasps an hour down the M40 to the far end of a trading estate and wondered why your crowds went down .You now use this as an excuse to move into the midlands, even farther away. You are presumably hoping to take support from Lecester and Northants. You are committing commercial suicide. Wasps are a WEST LONDON club. Wake up before you destroy the club I have supported for 25 years or more."

"As a Londoner who has supported a fabulous team for many years through thick and thin, including relocating to the home counties myself, it is outrageous that another more suitable ground closer to the club's fans and roots could not be identified. I am not alone in making a 160 mile round trip from my area for a home match. I might be alone when it becomes 360 miles in December. A very sad decision. A very uncaring decision by those who made it. I shall always be a Wasp but this is a huge mistake."

There are plenty of similar stories both there and elsewhere - again it's a myth that this didn't hurt Wasps fans in any way more than it would hurt us if CCFC move out of Coventry, and that they didn't protest.

I'm afraid that my opinion is that if you're happy to try to justify Wasps moving here, then in reality your opinion on franchising is that it's OK as long as it doesn't happen to a team that you support.

How do you make a 65-70 miles London/Wycombe round trip "Reasonable distance?" A massive majority of CCFC fans didn't think a 65-70 miles Coventry/Northampton round trip was "Reasonable"

fernandopartridge

By Calista's logic, CCFC, having played for a year in Northampton can too be considered as a franchise club and should move to the first place that welcomes them.

fernandopartridge

How do you make a 65-70 miles London/Wycombe round trip "Reasonable distance?" A massive majority of CCFC fans didn't think a 65-70 miles Coventry/Northampton round trip was "Reasonable"

It is 26.6m from where Wasps amateur rugby side play (i.e. the general area where Wasps belong) to Adams Park in Wycombe. That's 53.2m round trip. Why are you always so far off the mark?

duffer

Depends where you're starting from - but it's a lot closer to where Wasps were based than Coventry, that's for sure. The real point is that Wasps are and were a London club - indeed when their new owner took over he made exactly that point. They even re-branded as "London" Wasps. Until the Ricoh became available at a knock down price the stated plan was always to either move them back to London or previous to that build in Wycombe.

Wasps were never a nomadic franchise, drifting hither and thither on the breeze.

Sky Blue Kid

It is 26.6m from where Wasps amateur rugby side play (i.e. the general area where Wasps belong) to Adams Park in Wycombe. That's 53.2m round trip. Why are you always so far off the mark?

It's 130 miles from where I live to the Ricoh , but lets not take what used to be my travel distance into account eh twat!... All distances are usually from the centre of a City/town/village.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Kid

Depends where you're starting from - but it's a lot closer to where Wasps were based than Coventry, that's for sure. The real point is that Wasps are and were a London club - indeed when their new owner took over he made exactly that point. They even re-branded as "London" Wasps. Until the Ricoh became available at a knock down price the stated plan was always to either move them back to London or previous to that build in Wycombe.

Wasps were never a nomadic franchise, drifting hither and thither on the breeze.

If SISU don't get their way, CCFC will become the same.

fernandopartridge

It's 130 miles from where I live to the Ricoh , but lets not take what used to be my travel distance into account eh twat!... All distances are usually from the centre of a City/town/village.

Oh no, Sky Blue Kid's logic strikes again. It turns out that it wasn't 34 miles to Northampton after all (34 miles being the distance between the Ricoh and Sixfields).

From the centre of Coventry (used the council house for ease) to Sixfields is only 31.6 miles

Sky Blue Kid

Oh no, Sky Blue Kid's logic strikes again. It turns out that it wasn't 34 miles to Northampton after all (34 miles being the distance between the Ricoh and Sixfields).

From the centre of Coventry (used the council house for ease) to Sixfields is only 31.6 miles

Lmfao ONLY.... Hahahaha. fucking idiot!... From the centre of the town where I live to the centre of Coventry (used the council house for ease) is 135.2 miles.. Shock horror an extra 5.2 miles:nailbiting:

Sky Blue Kid

Apologies for swearing guys and girls... Just giving back some shit to Arseholepartridge for the uncalled for swearing at my post 3-4 days ago. :)

Nick

Administrator
Lmfao ONLY.... Hahahaha. fucking idiot!... From the centre of the town where I live to the centre of Coventry (used the council house for ease) is 135.2 miles.. Shock horror an extra 5.2 miles:nailbiting:

What is your address to do with anything though?

Apologies if I missed something.

Sky Blue Kid

What is your address to do with anything though?

Apologies if I missed something.

Like I said "CBA to read Nick.".... Read Duffers post about the 80 years old lady moaning about Wasps rellocation to Coventry... You should understand then ;)

Nick

Administrator
Like I said "CBA to read Nick.".... Read Duffers post about the 80 years old lady moaning about Wasps rellocation to Coventry... You should understand then ;)

It ism#t CBA to read, it is asking for it to be translated into simple terms as to the point being made. Thats all :)

stupot07

460764a07ca7db204b61a32175308ab3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

clint van damme

yet there are still people in our support who think the sun shines out of wasps arse and label anyone who criticise them sisu lovers.
Read that and hang you heads in shame.

Covstu

Is it Wasps fault we're in this mess? No. Does their presence help us? No. Would CCFC have more options if Wasps left? Yes.

I don't think many people actively blame Wasps for our plight, but they do harbour resentment that they seem to have waltzed in and become the darlings of the council overnight. That's not Wasps fault, but it is what it is.
This us exactly where I am with this saga. The council switched allegiance over night and turned their back on the football club of 130 years of history. What annoys me is these councillors coming out 'fighting' for the club over the last few months. Where were they when they happily passed the decision to sell the ground to wasps? Where were they when the planning dept passed the plans on top of our academy? No where as this was more knives in the back of SISU. Very short sighted in my view

Nick

Administrator
This us exactly where I am with this saga. The council switched allegiance over night and turned their back on the football club of 130 years of history. What annoys me is these councillors coming out 'fighting' for the club over the last few months. Where were they when they happily passed the decision to sell the ground to wasps? Where were they when the planning dept passed the plans on top of our academy? No where as this was more knives in the back of SISU. Very short sighted in my view

Said at the time about the lady who was trying to pointlessly quiz the FA about CCFC moving, after she voted for Wasps to come here with the conditions of CCFC not being damaged. No mention of that anywhere though.

Her doing that was nothing at all to do with the wellbeing of CCFC.

Sky Blue Kid

yet there are still people in our support who think the sun shines out of wasps arse and label anyone who criticise them sisu lovers.
Read that and hang you heads in shame.

I think you'll find anyone calling SISU out, are labelled CCC lovers by quite a few on here too.

Brylowes

This may be seen as selfish by some 'but" I honestly couldn't give a fuck about Wasps, if they
Had moved them to the moon I wouldn't have watched the launch on the news.
It's CCFC that bothers me, we had the chance to purchase the Ricoh, but as is our owners way
of Going about things, they monumentally fucked it up. Oddly enough a lot of the posters who
want to blame everyone except SISU for us not owning the lease, are the same ones who were
in agreement with SISU that the price was to high for a stadium that was just going to become
a "White elephant"

Well as usual SISU got it completely wrong, and in doing so called the future of the football club
We all support into extreme doubt. The only glimmer of hope I can see at the moment is Tims
New (I'll speak to anyone/ ask me anything) persona, which just happens to coincide with the
Pressure being applied from certain quarters. It's obvious we have entered the end game and
The next year or so will be very interesting, SISU hold no cards and are definitely on their way
Out, what will be left is anyone's guess.

If wasps can make a living at the Ricoh playing a marginally popular sport, in front of 10.000
Or so fans, just imagine what a premier league or even a competitive championship football
Club could do. The move to Northampton was the single most worst decision in the history of
Coventry City fc, and once set in motion I knew somehow things would never be the same.
SISU successfully achieved their objective of distressing ACL, unfortunately for them, the
Manner in which they set about achieving their objective, lett them isolated from the very
People they now needed on their side.

clint van damme

This may be seen as selfish by some 'but" I honestly couldn't give a fuck about Wasps, if they
Had moved them to the moon I wouldn't have watched the launch on the news.

It's CCFC that bothers me, we had the chance to purchase the Ricoh, but as is our owners way
of Going about things, they monumentally fucked it up. Oddly enough a lot of the posters who
want to blame everyone except SISU for us not owning the lease, are the same ones who were
in agreement with SISU that the price was to high for a stadium that was just going to become
a "White elephant"

Well as usual SISU got it completely wrong, and in doing so called the future of the football club
We all support into extreme doubt. The only glimmer of hope I can see at the moment is Tims
New (I'll speak to anyone/ ask me anything) persona, which just happens to coincide with the
Pressure being applied from certain quarters. It's obvious we have entered the end game and
The next year or so will be very interesting, SISU hold no cards and are definitely on their way
Out, what will be left is anyone's guess.

If wasps can make a living at the Ricoh playing a marginally popular sport, in front of 10.000
Or so fans, just imagine what a premier league or even a competitive championship football
Club could do. The move to Northampton was the single most worst decision in the history of
Coventry City fc, and once set in motion I knew somehow things would never be the same.
SISU successfully achieved their objective of distressing ACL, unfortunately for them, the
Manner in which they set about achieving their objective, lett them isolated from the very
People they now needed on their side.

it's called empathy mate, that's why people are trying very hard to get our plight in the national media, so people can empathise with our cause even though it doesn't directly affect them.. if everyone was as self centred as you there'd be no point bothering but fortunately they're not.

Brylowes

it's called empathy mate, that's why people are trying very hard to get our plight in the national media, so people can empathise with our cause even though it doesn't directly affect them.. if everyone was as self centred as you there'd be no point bothering but fortunately they're not.
If wasps had moved to Ashton gate or Portman road, I doubt you'd give them a second thought.but
They moved here, which concerns you which might make you self-centred.
Rugby is a game I have no affinity with, Wasps mean nothing to me but funnily enough i know five
Wasps fans one of which is my brother in law, we all live on the east coast and they were all more
Than delighted with the move.

clint van damme

If wasps had moved to Ashton gate or Portman road, I doubt you'd give them a second thought.but
They moved here, which concerns you which might make you self-centred.
Rugby is a game I have no affinity with, Wasps mean nothing to me but funnily enough i know five
Wasps fans one of which is my brother in law, we all live on the east coast and they were all more
Than delighted with the move.

But if I became aware of what was going on at Ashton Gate or Portman Rd I would give it a second thought. Same as what happened with Wimbledon still makes me angry so your first point doesn't stand.
I also honestly believe that most football supporters are concerned when they see other clubs getting run into the ground and that luckily, you seem to be the exception.

Users who are viewing this thread