PONTICELLI (3 Viewers)

lifeskyblue

If we don't score and win on Saturday ponticelli' chance must come sooner rather than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adge

I can fully grasp that players need to be given a chance and until they are of course WE won't know. What you don't seem to grasp is that, every player is different! And that MR sees him every day in training.
Robins will put him in when he is ready.
We are on a poor run, and imo he would get slaughtered if he didn't score within say 5 games.
Coventry fans seem to like to pick on players that come through the academy and don't hit the ground running.
E.g. Thomas in the first half of last season was written off. Haynes( a lot hate some like), bigi, Conor Thomas, Jordan clarke, Cyrus Christie, Nathen Cameron. coventry fans aren't patient enough with players. And I would rather trust Mark Robins judgement as to when to put the kid in.
So I repeat I do know that unless given a chance he can't prove himself. What you need to understand is. I trust Robins to know when to give him that chance!
Why do people keep hiding behind this "academy shield" all the time? From those who you listed, only Christie and G Thomas (half a season) are worth a mention . Ponticelli we hope will be a goalscorer but dont know yet.The rest are duffers and should rightly be criticised if not up to the job or do not perform/didn't perform and praised if they do perform/did perform. Why should it be different for them and the rest of the first team squad? I would say that there is probably 300 appearances from that list of first team games combined so they were not "wet behind the ears".
The same balance needed as per Doyle who is rightly getting criticised for lack of forward movement/creativity whereas the first 3-4 games he was the midfielder with the "bite" who we have been missing.

SlowerThanPlatt

Why do people keep hiding behind this "academy shield" all the time? From those who you listed, only Christie and G Thomas (half a season) are worth a mention . Ponticelli we hope will be a goalscorer but dont know yet.The rest are duffers and should rightly be criticised if not up to the job or do not perform/didn't perform and praised if they do perform/did perform. Why should it be different for them and the rest of the first team squad? I would say that there is probably 300 appearances from that list of first team games combined so they were not "wet behind the ears".
The same balance needed as per Doyle who is rightly getting criticised for lack of forward movement/creativity whereas the first 3-4 games he was the midfielder with the "bite" who we have been missing.
Whether you rate Cameron and Clarke or not, they are currently playing for clubs in the league above us. That doesn't make them outstanding players but they've carved out a career at a decent level in professional football

shmmeee

Turner and Wilson two others that got slated by people like Adge.

Our fans just don’t understand the development cycle of young footballers, if they ain’t pulling up trees in the first ten games they must be shit and that’s that for the rest of their city career.

stupot07

Anyone would think becoming a professional footballer and making a living players in league football was a piece of piss.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

skybluegod

Others have already responded with what needs saying. But would just like to add. I didn't say they were good players? I just said Coventry city fans love slating our own players more than players that haven't come through the academy.

Adge

Turner and Wilson two others that got slated by people like Adge.

Our fans just don’t understand the development cycle of young footballers, if they ain’t pulling up trees in the first ten games they must be shit and that’s that for the rest of their city career.
No they didn't! Stop putting words in my mouth. Wilson and Turner are 2 of our academy players who deserve credit, added to our team and have gone on to better things.
Now lets not pretend that Haynes,Clark,Cameron,Bigi,C Thomas et al would/have/did add to the team the same as the 2 you have quoted.

Adge

Others have already responded with what needs saying. But would just like to add. I didn't say they were good players? I just said Coventry city fans love slating our own players more than players that haven't come through the academy.
Fair enough. I will praise (quite rightly) or criticise whoever is on the pitch if they are not up to the job. Doesn't matter what age they are/where they are from,what their hairstyles like or what boots they wear.

skybluegod

Fair enough. I will praise (quite rightly) or criticise whoever is on the pitch if they are not up to the job. Doesn't matter what age they are/where they are from,what their hairstyles like or what boots they wear.
And that is fair enough.
I'm not saying that players don't deserve criticism. Of course if they are playing badly fair enough. I just think academy players get the brunt of it here at Coventry.
Which is why I trust Robins with Ponti, as if he doesn't score in his first 5 games he will soon be called shit and written off. He needs time, and yes he needs experience, but i trust that MR will handle that correctly

skyblue025

You mean like the 17-year old who plays for Wales and just scored in one World Cup qualifier and set up the winning goal in the next one?
Where would Wales be now if they didn't give him a chance because "He's just a kid"? Out of the World Cup is where they would be!
By the way, Ponticelli is 19 in three more days.
And the Welsh player (Woodburn) is English!!! Wales for the past few years have been targeting "Foreign" players with a hint of Welsh Ancestry similar to what Jack Charlton did with Ireland. He certainly wouldn't of been given a chance with England.

skybluedan

Really would like to see him in now, his whole game is scoring goals and is exactly what we need imo

Esoterica

Here's his goal against Leeds:

That dirty bastard number 4 has a proper lash out at our player there.
It's a great finish from Ponti. No way he's getting that chance in a league game though, his marker is all over the place and then makes a half arsed attempt to close him down.

oucho

With Andreu and McNulty out for Tuesday, Biamou looking like a non-league lightweight and Beavon having not scored since the Prussia-Denmark war of 1864, maybe it's not such a bad idea after all to bring JP on from the bench in the Tuesday game.

singers_pore

I feel our main problem is not having someone up front who can make the ball stick. Not sure if Ponticelli can address that weakness in the team, but I think The Duck could perform that role.

oucho

Shame that the suden unavailability of Biamou, Andreu and McNulty, plus Beavon's drought continuing has happened immediately after we farmed out Kwame to Sutton. Can"t recall him until after Barnet. MR must feel like the Gods have conspired against him there!

fernandopartridge

I feel our main problem is not having someone up front who can make the ball stick. Not sure if Ponticelli can address that weakness in the team, but I think The Duck could perform that role.
You serious? Beavon can do that role. I've seen nothing from the Duck to suggest he can. He reminds me of that Manset we signed a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

singers_pore

You serious? Beavon can do that role. I've seen nothing from the Duck to suggest he can. He reminds me of that Manset we signed a few years ago.

Beavon doesn't have the height to make the ball stick up front and neither does McNulty. Almost every header is won by the opposition defence and the ball comes straight back instead of staying up around their penalty box. I've watched every game this season and the pattern is pretty obvious, at least to anyone who knows anything about football.

Hobo

Beavon doesn't have the height to make the ball stick up front and neither does McNulty. Almost every header is won by the opposition defence and the ball comes straight back instead of staying up around their penalty box. I've watched every game this season and the pattern is pretty obvious, at least to anyone who knows anything about football.

How tall do you have to be? Did the ball stick to David Speedie?

Skybluefaz

You think that screenshot is in any way comparable to what their centreback let Ponticelli do?
I think good strikers have the ability to find space. Make a few yards with clever little runs, a lot of it on instinct. You will also get bad defending in league two though as in that screenshot from Saturday.

Last edited:

Hobo

How tall do you have to be? Did the ball stick to David Speedie? Aguero? Maradona?

fernandopartridge

Yes and the second half yesterday is the first time I've seen a forward knocking balls down and laying it off this season. First time Beavon has played in the role all season.

singers_pore

How tall do you have to be? Did the ball stick to David Speedie? Aguero? Maradona?

Speedie was exceptionally good in the air, way way better than Beavon or McNulty. So Speedie was pretty good at holding up the ball. Obviously Aguero and Maradona are special cases as their ball control are better than anything we are going to see in L2.

smileycov

Facebook User
I would start him with beavon, he seems a natural goal scorer and we are creating chances just not taking them. Carlisle are leaking goals and this is an ideal opportunity for him. From what I can gather he seems a confident young lad. Big opportunity which I truly believe he will take

Otis

As I've said before, I do think he will seize his chance, but it may take him a fair while to adjust to first team football.

Slowly slowly catchee monkey.

Hobo

Speedie was exceptionally good in the air, way way better than Beavon or McNulty. So Speedie was pretty good at holding up the ball. Obviously Aguero and Maradona are special cases as their ball control are better than anything we are going to see in L2.

I know they are all class players. and we are at a lower level but it is all relative. It also depends on how you play the ball into them. Kenny Daglish wasn't the biggest but could keep the ball with his back to goal. The theory you need a 6' 2" centre forward is a myth perpetuated by fans.

no_loyalty

Scored for the development side today, looks like he is a goal machine.

Could have missed his chance of a first team run out, now that McNulty is back from injury?

Liquid Gold

I want to see him because he sounds like an exciting prospect but I understand why Robins doesn’t want to chuck him straight in.

Mucca Mad Boys

No they didn't! Stop putting words in my mouth. Wilson and Turner are 2 of our academy players who deserve credit, added to our team and have gone on to better things.
Now lets not pretend that Haynes,Clark,Cameron,Bigi,C Thomas et al would/have/did add to the team the same as the 2 you have quoted.

Pretty stupid way of measuring ‘success’... you’ve picked players who have gone on to play at premiership level. We’ve not been a prem side in a generation.

We’ve had a conveyor belt of young talent coming out of the club. By definition, the purpose of an academy is to produce first team players. We’ve consistently done this over a good 5+ years. Off the top of my head, I’ll reel off the following; Clarke, Cameron, Christie, Wilson, Turner, Davenport, McSheffrey, Willis, DKE twins, Stevenson, Haynes, Burge, Bigi, Maddison, both Connor and George Thomas and there’s probably more. A mixture of ability, but that’s reflective of our demise from Championship to League 2, so the definition of a successful academy changes.

I’d also argue that even though players like Harries didn’t play many games for the club, we got a fee off a club for them so the club got something for their trouble. We’re a lower football league side and having our young players poached is something we have to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread