Recommend a book (1 Viewer)

JAM See

We've got music and TV threads, lets have a book one too.

I'm a fiction fan.

I'll start with Shuggie Bain.

Beautiful, brutal, depressing and strangely uplifting.

Kneeza

Anything by Mark Billingham or John Grisham. Reading the latter's A Time For Mercy at the mo. Superb styles, both of them.

LastGarrison

I don’t really do fiction but some I’ve read and liked:

The Kite Runner
The Beach
Anything by Irvine Welsh

clint van damme

I don’t really do fiction but some I’ve read and liked:

The Kite Runner
The Beach
Anything by Irvine Welsh

I'm a big fan of Welsh but don't think his more recent output has been his best.
Would recomend another Scottish author, John Niven.
Kill your friends, the sequel, Kill em all and the fuck it list are top class in my opinion.

bringbackrattles

Just finished reading Jim Holton's autobiography, and started on : Clash of the Clans, about boxing and gangsters in Dublin, true life.

fernandopartridge

I think I've recommended all of these in the past but here goes:

Another Bloody Love Letter and My War Gone By, I Miss It So by Anthony Lloyd

The Corner and Homicide by David Simon & Ed Burns - these two are from the creators of the Wire

The Valley by Richard Benson

Bob Mortimer's autobiography

Reactions: AOM

clint van damme

I think I've recommended all of these in the past but here goes:

Another Bloody Love Letter and My War Gone By, I Miss It So by Anthony Lloyd

The Corner and Homicide by David Simon & Ed Burns - these two are from the creators of the Wire

The Valley by Richard Benson

Bob Mortimer's autobiography

Anthony Lloyd has a podcast out you might be interested in FP, Last man standing.
About the only unaccounted for ISIS westernhostage John Cantile

LastGarrison

I'm a big fan of Welsh but don't think his more recent output has been his best.
Would recomend another Scottish author, John Niven.
Kill your friends, the sequel, Kill em all and the fuck it list are top class in my opinion.
Pretty sure I read Kill Your Friends years ago but never quite took to it.

Thinking about it a couple of modern classics (?) I enjoyed were To Kill A Mockingbird and 1984.

AOM

Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom books the TV series are based on are good (and better than the show imo)
Dennis Lehane Shutter Island
Been recently reading Bravo Three Zero about the SAS which is good if your kind of thing

Sky_Blue_Daz

Bob Mortimers autobiography is very good

jimmyhillsfanclub

We've got music and TV threads, lets have a book one too.

I'm a fiction fan.

I'll start with Shuggie Bain.

Beautiful, brutal, depressing and strangely uplifting.

I really enjoyed Shuggie Bain, if "enjoyed" is the right word? Also, was it wrong that I felt like I fancied his ma?

Also just for reference, the old book threads are here........

clint van damme

Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom books the TV series are based on are good (and better than the show imo)
Dennis Lehane Shutter Island
Been recently reading Bravo Three Zero about the SAS which is good if your kind of thing

Dennis Lehanes Joe Coughlin trilogy is superb.
They made a film condensing all 3 books into one movie,it was shite

Sky_Blue_Daz

from a sports point of view, Paul Mcgraths, and Mike Tysons and Gordon Strachans are very good

AOM

Dennis Lehanes Joe Coughlin trilogy is superb.
They made a film condensing all 3 books into one movie,it was shite

Thanks, I was meaning to have a look at his other books at some point, so will keep these three in mind.
Quite a few of his books sound like they also could do with Scorsese directing a film adaptation

clint van damme

Thanks, I was meaning to have a look at his other books at some point, so will keep these three in mind.
Quite a few of his books sound like they also could do with Scorsese directing a film adaptation

Think a few have been adapted. Think Mystic river was one of his.
Some of his subject matter is definitely in Scorsese territory

AOM

Think a few have been adapted. Think Mystic river was one of his.
Some of his subject matter is definitely in Scorsese territory

On the subject of Scorsese adaptations, the Goodfellas book Wiseguy is good.
The film pretty much covers most of it, but it's interesting to hear from his actual perspective

stay_up_skyblues

I listen while I’m driving for work so get through a couple a month. Most recent ones and ratings for you;

Scores - autobiography of the guy that opened Scores strip club in New York, backed by the mafia and then informant. Very good.

The Wolf of Wall Street - autobiography. Just fucking hilarious and brilliant.

Simon Jordan - autobiography. Very good.

Joey Barton - autobiography. Decent in parts but still think he’s a twat.

Neil Warnock - autobiography. Disappointing.

The Secret Barrister books (x3). Excellent but probably an acquired taste.

Pete Doherty - autobiography. In progress, early days but good start.

Sbarcher

The Escape Artist. The story of the first Jew who escaped from Aushwitz and tried to warn the world. A true story.

clint van damme

Bumping this.
Was an avid reader but haven't done much recently but going to have the chance to do a bit of catching up so if anyone's got anything worth recommending.........

Mcbean

I just finished Vulcan 607 by Rowland White - its a book about the bombing of the runway in the Falklands - incredible story of the build up to the raid , you could'nt make it up - very factual - an example that refuelling nozzles had to be sourced from Museum planes as the Vulcan had already been virtually decommissoned , Navigation systems that could operate over water were relieved from BOAC VC10s going out of service

Great_Expectations

I’ve recently got back into reading in the evenings before bed.

Obviously depends on taste, but the Bloodsworn Saga by John Gwynne is really good. I’m on book two and it took a little while to get into it, but really enjoying it now.

Mcbean

I’ve recently got back into reading in the evenings before bed.

Obviously depends on taste, but the Bloodsworn Saga by John Gwynne is really good. I’m on book two and it took a little while to get into it, but really enjoying it now.
Will have a look 👀

SBT

No idea if the film is any good, but absolutely rattled through Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann. A great true crime murder mystery, taking in the Wild West oil boom, the racism of American settlers towards Native American tribes, and the creation of the modern FBI.

shmmeee

Two requests: I’ve not read any fiction since Pratchett died. I tried GoT but it bored me like most normal fantasy. Looking for something well written, thought provoking and funny.

Also: Something non fiction. My knowledge of history, etc is pretty poor and I’d like something interesting to get me into the topic. Not a big war fan, doesn’t really interest me, more general history with some interesting facts thrown in. Also popular science, which is what I usually read for fun. Something accessible that teaches me something. Have enjoyed Blink, Thinking Fast and Slow, books on chaos theory, quantum physics, machine learning. Particularly interested in neuroscience at the moment.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I've often thought Ben Dover should do an autobiography

Users who are viewing this thread