Recommend a book (1 Viewer)

SBT

Also: Something non fiction. My knowledge of history, etc is pretty poor and I’d like something interesting to get me into the topic. Not a big war fan, doesn’t really interest me, more general history with some interesting facts thrown in. Also popular science, which is what I usually read for fun. Something accessible that teaches me something. Have enjoyed Blink, Thinking Fast and Slow, books on chaos theory, quantum physics, machine learning. Particularly interested in neuroscience at the moment.
Have you read Superintelligence by Nick Bostrom? Gets pretty impenetrable in places but is a fantastic introduction to AI

Noise is interesting in places - picks up from Thinking Fast And Slow (Kahneman is one of Noise’s co-authors) with more of a focus on how people make judgements. Nowhere near as good as TFAS though.

One of my favourite books of recent years is The Precipice by Toby Ord - a scientific study of the biggest existential risks to humanity (nuclear war, AI, pandemics etc), how they’ve affected us so far and how we can guard against them.

shmmeee

Have you read Superintelligence by Nick Bostrom? Gets pretty impenetrable in places but is a fantastic introduction to AI

Noise is interesting in places - picks up from Thinking Fast And Slow (Kahneman is one of Noise’s co-authors) with more of a focus on how people make judgements. Nowhere near as good as TFAS though.

One of my favourite books of recent years is The Precipice by Toby Ord - a scientific study of the biggest existential risks to humanity (nuclear war, AI, pandemics etc), how they’ve affected us so far and how we can guard against them.

Yeah Bostrom is fairly well known. I have my issues with singularity theory and the resulting AI safety movement that our PM is a fan of. TBH with the current state of AI I’m mostly reading blogs and papers as any book will be out of date as soon as it’s published :D

Willa have a look at the other two, thanks!

Hertsccfc

For non fiction I would highly recommend 'The Devil You Know: Encounters in Forensic Psychiatry' by Gwen Adshead. Also 'How to Make the World Add Up' by Tim Harford. There are some posters on here who really need to read his analysis of the use of statistics. I also like the Tim Marshall books on geopolitics.

Someone mentioned the Richard Osborn books. For some reason I had avoided them until recently but they are good and quite funny.

mrtrench

I read a lot of books. These are my all time favourite novels (I read non-fiction too but those are usually depressing):

* Scoop and Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh.

* Atonement by Ian McEwan. Not fashionable but I also rate Saturday.

* The Magus by John Fowles

* I love Graham Greene. But for me, the best are Our Man in Havana and A Burnt Out Case. The Power and the Glory is also wonderful but already very recognised as special.

* The Book of Revelation by Rupert Thomson

* The Outsider by Albert Camus

* Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Adichie

* The Catastrophist by Ronan Bennett

* Almost anything by Paul Auster or J M Coetzee (they are friends, I even read the book of the letters between them).

Also worth considering are Crime and Punishment, Midnight's Children, the Gormenghast trilogy (difficult to start but stick with it), Cancer Ward... Too many books

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

Two requests: I’ve not read any fiction since Pratchett died. I tried GoT but it bored me like most normal fantasy. Looking for something well written, thought provoking and funny.

Also: Something non fiction. My knowledge of history, etc is pretty poor and I’d like something interesting to get me into the topic. Not a big war fan, doesn’t really interest me, more general history with some interesting facts thrown in. Also popular science, which is what I usually read for fun. Something accessible that teaches me something. Have enjoyed Blink, Thinking Fast and Slow, books on chaos theory, quantum physics, machine learning. Particularly interested in neuroscience at the moment.
How do you feel about Michael Moorcock? I'd say he ticks the fantasy, well-written, and funny boxes.

Non-fiction? Could be dangerous I guess as I quite like history(!) so what I find interesting could not be to others! How about Batavia's Graveyard by Mike Dash?

Failing that you could try Discipline and Punish by Michel Foucault ;)

shmmeee

How do you feel about Michael Moorcock? I'd say he ticks the fantasy, well-written, and funny boxes.

Non-fiction? Could be dangerous I guess as I quite like history(!) so what I find interesting could not be to others! How about Batavia's Graveyard by Mike Dash?

Never heard of Moorcock, I’ll give it a go.

Just had a glance at the blurb for Batavias Graveyard, looks interesting. My problem is every book is so specific so I don’t know what to read first or if I need any general history knowledge going in.

NorthernWisdom

Never heard of Moorcock, I’ll give it a go.

Just had a glance at the blurb for Batavias Graveyard, looks interesting. My problem is every book is so specific so I don’t know what to read first or if I need any general history knowledge going in.
That at least sets a bit of context with it too, and it is written as pop history... so *should* be OK!

Ref: Moorcock, I'd personally start with the Dancers at the End of Time. No doubt like many random recommendations you'll disagree entirely when you read it ;) but you never know, maybe I'll introduce you to a literary God, and then you'll be going to Hawkwind concerts with Grendel!

Last edited:

wingy

I read a lot of books. These are my all time favourite novels (I read non-fiction too but those are usually depressing):

* I love Graham Green. But for me, the best are Our Man in Havana and A Burnt Out Case. The Power and the Glory is also wonderful but already very recognised as special.

* Almost anything by Paul Auster or J M Coetzee (they are friends, I even read the book of the letters between them).

Also worth considering are Crime and Punishment, Midnight's Children, the Gormenghast trilogy (difficult to start but stick with it), Cancer Ward... Too many books
Saturday and midnight's children here not an avid reader though, love the concept of Saturday.

Grendel

Michael Moorcock attempted to sing on a Hawkwind album once - I hope his written word is better that the spoken word

Grendel

One of the best horror type novels I have read is The Sentinel by Jeffrey Konwitz. It’s pretty obscure and written in the 70’s but it’s a kind of superior Rosemarys Baby

I’ve never known why Stephen Laws never made it as James Herbert did as his novels are excellent

SkyBlueSoul

Two requests: I’ve not read any fiction since Pratchett died. I tried GoT but it bored me like most normal fantasy. Looking for something well written, thought provoking and funny.

A fun history one would be 52 Times Britain Was A Bellend by James Felton. He's a comedy writer so it's factual but light-hearted.

Popular science I end up leaning towards psychology, I think my main picks would be:

Drugs Without The Hot Air by Prof David Nutt. He's the guy who was sacked by the Tories as drugs adviser for saying pills were as harmful as horse riding. A very accessible book about recreational drugs.

Quiet by Susain Cain. Essentially how introverts are misunderstood, especially in a world where being an extrovert is seen as superior.

Black Box Thinking. About how failing is the best way to learn and grow.

shmmeee

A fun history one would be 52 Times Britain Was A Bellend by James Felton. He's a comedy writer so it's factual but light-hearted.

Popular science I end up leaning towards psychology, I think my main picks would be:

Drugs Without The Hot Air by Prof David Nutt. He's the guy who was sacked by the Tories as drugs adviser for saying pills were as harmful as horse riding. A very accessible book about recreational drugs.

Quiet by Susain Cain. Essentially how introverts are misunderstood, especially in a world where being an extrovert is seen as superior.

Black Box Thinking. About how failing is the best way to learn and grow.

Interesting. I can’t stand Felton so will give that a swerve, and Nutts book is probably preaching to the choir lol. I’ll check the others out.

duffer

Relax a bit and read some of the eight billion Reacher books that are out there. They're a hoot, and the author is from Coventry (though unfortunately moved to Brum before the proper cultural values could take hold).

In a similar vein, but arguably with a little more depth, anything by Elmore Leonard - the man is a writing genius imho, and has had a much larger cultural impact than you might realise.

The grandfather of them all is Mickey Spillane, and the godfather is Raymond Chandler. You can read Chandler first as a story, and then again as a poem, so elegantly is it written.

In terms of non-fiction, I've never picked up a book by Bill Bryson that I haven't enjoyed - and not just the travel stuff, anything he writes feels carefully put together and well researched, with a few laughs never far away.

All just my opinion of course mate, like music there's no right or wrong here - what you like, you like...

shmmeee

Relax a bit and read some of the eight billion Reacher books that are out there. They're a hoot, and the author is from Coventry (though unfortunately moved to Brum before the proper cultural values could take hold).

In a similar vein, but arguably with a little more depth, anything by Elmore Leonard - the man is a writing genius imho, and has had a much larger cultural impact than you might realise.

The grandfather of them all is Mickey Spillane, and the godfather is Raymond Chandler. You can read Chandler first as a story, and then again as a poem, so elegantly is it written.

In terms of non-fiction, I've never picked up a book by Bill Bryson that I haven't enjoyed - and not just the travel stuff, anything he writes feels carefully put together and well researched, with a few laughs never far away.

All just my opinion of course mate, like music there's no right or wrong here - what you like, you like...

Short History of Nearly Everything is one of my favourite books.

skybluejelly

Little green man , by Simon armitage , is a great read , also “ the man who was Saturday , by Patrick bishop , the life story of Airey Neave

Last edited:

Great_Expectations

Non-fiction wise, I’m generally into historical fiction or fantasy type books.

I have forgotten loads as only just getting back into regularly reading after a few years off, but here’s some of my favourites/the ones I remember!

Historical Fiction

Bernard Cornwell - favourites; Warlord Series and Saxon Stories (now a series on Netflix)
Conn Iggulden - favourite; Emperor Series
Christian Cameron - favourite; God of War
Simon Scarrow
David Gemmell
Steve Pressfield

Fantasy
Joe Abercrombie
Mark Lawrence
Anthony Ryan
Daniel Abraham
John Gwynne

Sick Boy

* I love Graham Greene. But for me, the best are Our Man in Havana and A Burnt Out Case. The Power and the Glory is also wonderful but already very recognised as special.

Some fine choices here but I have to add Brighton Rock by GG. Good to see you posting again. 👍🏼

mrtrench

Some fine choices here but I have to add Brighton Rock by GG. Good to see you posting again. 👍🏼

They are all excellent, apart from juvenillea and the plays. Brighton Rock is another recognised classic but I prefer the foreign-themed entertainments. I know Brighton; I can imagine Haiti, Lima, Saigon et alia.

Terry_dactyl

Non-fiction wise, I’m generally into historical fiction or fantasy type books.

I have forgotten loads as only just getting back into regularly reading after a few years off, but here’s some of my favourites/the ones I remember!

Historical Fiction

Bernard Cornwell - favourites; Warlord Series and Saxon Stories (now a series on Netflix)
Conn Iggulden - favourite; Emperor Series
Christian Cameron - favourite; God of War
Simon Scarrow
David Gemmell
Steve Pressfield

Fantasy
Joe Abercrombie
Mark Lawrence
Anthony Ryan
Daniel Abraham
John Gwynne
For some reason I had you down as a Charles Dickens fan.

robbiekeane

Non fiction - Prisoners of Geography is fantastic. Currently on book 2. Never learnt so much about the world

Fiction - I Am Pilgrim is the best book I’ve ever read

chiefdave

Have you read Jasper Fforde? Give The Eyre Affair a go if you haven't

Nuskyblue

For general history Bill Bryson has some good stuff.

His A Short History of Nearly Everything is fantastic and has a lot of easily digestible info. He also wrote a book called At Home which is of a similar bent. Lot's of very interesting stuff in both.

Edit: see that it's one of your fave books. If you haven't read it already then At Home will be right up your street.

clint van damme

Non fiction - Prisoners of Geography is fantastic. Currently on book 2. Never learnt so much about the world

Fiction - I Am Pilgrim is the best book I’ve ever read

Loads of people go on about I am Pilgrim.
I don't know much about it but I think the author has just released a new book, (though not a follow up).

robbiekeane

That's a brilliant book, a real eye opener, I learned so much reading it

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
It’s set me off too now - im down a real nerdy history/geography/politics rabbit hole at the minute!

Also @shmmeee recommend Empire by Niall Ferguson. I mean it’s hugely biased in favour of brits but a great read nonetheless around how the British Empire shaped the modern world

shmmeee

It’s set me off too now - im down a real nerdy history/geography/politics rabbit hole at the minute!

Also @shmmeee recommend Empire by Niall Ferguson. I mean it’s hugely biased in favour of brits but a great read nonetheless around how the British Empire shaped the modern world

The two you’ve suggested have piqued my interest most I’ll be honest

Users who are viewing this thread