Refugees welcome? (8 Viewers)

martcov

I don't think it is that different, it might just be the methods are different.

How are people willing to help? People shout let them into the country, where will they live, how will they be fed, which schools will the kids go to, which doctors will they use, which hospitals will they use.

I am not saying they shouldn't eat, be fed or use hospitals but there will be a knock on affect then won't there?

I think people have seen the picture of the poor lad who drowned and its blown up, kids have been dying there day in day out for quite a while have they? Not that it makes it ok, its horrible.

In Calais for example, why are they at Calais? Why haven't they settled in the south or mid france? Why not Spain or Portugal? Genuine question by the way.

Are these at Calais just the Syrians? I am really concerned for the people fleeing a war zone -more so than for economic refugees ( who I empathise with - I left England to try my luck abroad when Coventry was in the dumps). The people coming up through the Balkans seem to be mainly Syrians and are fleeing for their lives. They are not necessarily coming because they have no jobs or money ( they pay top money to the scum who transport them, the people who do this without being too bothered if their clients die on the way ). Most seem to want to come to Germany or Sweden. They want their kids to grow up in safety and get an education - most of us would do the same. You can either turn your back on them or, as some do here, set fire to their accomodation, or you could see that they are doing exactly what we would do and give them the welcome and help that we would hope for if we were escaping a war zone. The whole thing is worrying, but we are all in this together - the problems of the middle east are here now, in front of us. We should not let these people down.

Ashdown

Well meaning people are just living in cloud cuckoo land...................lets take as many as we possibly can.............and then what ? As Nick says there has to be a proper plan to implement or shall we just have them living in tents next to the Gypsies on common land and school playing fields etc ?!

Nick

Administrator
Are these at Calais just the Syrians? I am really concerned for the people fleeing a war zone -more so than for economic refugees ( who I empathise with - I left England to try my luck abroad when Coventry was in the dumps). The people coming up through the Balkans seem to be mainly Syrians and are fleeing for their lives. They are not necessarily coming because they have no jobs or money ( they pay top money to the scum who transport them, the people who do this without being too bothered if their clients die on the way ). Most seem to want to come to Germany or Sweden. They want their kids to grow up in safety and get an education - most of us would do the same. You can either turn your back on them or, as some do here, set fire to their accomodation, or you could see that they are doing exactly what we would do and give them the welcome and help that we would hope for if we were escaping a war zone. The whole thing is worrying, but we are all in this together - the problems of the middle east are here now, in front of us. We should not let these people down.

I think there is a huge mixture of nationalities so I wouldn't say it is just one nationality.

I agree about the scum transporting them whether it is cramming them onto boats or trucks :(

Samo

Well meaning people are just living in cloud cuckoo land...................lets take as many as we possibly can.............and then what ? As Nick says there has to be a proper plan to implement or shall we just have them living in tents next to the Gypsies on common land and school playing fields etc ?!

Drama alert! But wait... could there be any empty property anywhere?

fernandopartridge

Drama alert! But wait... could there be any empty property anywhere?

Hardly a clamour to sort out the chronic homelessness in major cities from those who have jumped on this latest bandwagon.

FWIW Britain should take our fair share of refugees. That is those fleeing Syria due to threat to life.

eastwoodsdustman

I did notice the trains full if refugees in Hungary predominantly populated by adult males aged 18+. Its not just about the kids is it?
The whole situation in the middle east should have been left well alone by the west as it has always had 'tyrants' running countries and keeping a lid on racial and religious tensions by using brute force. A lot of people in the west didn't seem to grasp the fact that by ruling with the iron fist, the 'tyrants' were in fact saving more lives. As soon as we jumped in with USA into Afghan and Iraq it triggered a chain of event that leaves us where we are now.
Blair needs to go to the gallows in the Hague.

Samo

It's empty mostly because it's not fit for human habitation or it's been condemned. Where exactly is all this empty property ?

Yes you are right of course... I imagine it is beyond the wit of anyone in the UK to find a way to provide safety, food and shelter for some desperate people, let's just forget it.

Nick

Administrator
Yes you are right of course... I imagine it is beyond the wit of anyone in the UK to find a way to provide safety, food and shelter for some desperate people, let's just forget it.

So the answer is empty properties?

I keep asking what the plan would be for it all but nobody seems to know?

Could there not be camps setup? Who provides the land? I am pretty sure people would donate clothing, tents, blankets, fuel etc but I am not too sure many people have acres of land knocking about to give away.

Where will the kids be schooled? Which doctors and hospitals will treat them? Schools are struggling as it is.

If people are genuinely fleeing for their live, I think the numbers should be shared out and calculated based on population, % of foreign nationals in the population already etc. For example if millions of people from Poland have moved abroad, surely more refugees can be helped there easily?

Samo

Hardly a clamour to sort out the chronic homelessness in major cities from those who have jumped on this latest bandwagon.

FWIW Britain should take our fair share of refugees. That is those fleeing Syria due to threat to life.

Which cities are these? Coventry?

torchomatic

Funny, isn't it? No concern for people fleeing for their lives, yet move a football team 35 miles and the place is in meltdown.

Now, if only this civil war was between SISU and the FL...

The UK is currently running a huge deficit to add every year to the debt mountain that already exists. As a consequence councils are having funding cut almost everywhere that affects basic services to everyone. Our hospitals are struggling to cope with sheer numbers and waiting lists are stretching out for basic treatments. Our schools cannot cope with the numbers of youngsters seeking school places. Our roads are appalling and congested and getting worse every year. The countryside is being dug up at an alarming rate to house a rapidly expanding population. Last year the UK took in a record amount of migrants { 330,000}. I think the country is doing it's bit.
I'm all in agreement for helping out genuine refugees and sending aid to problem areas but there are many of them and surely the answer cannot lie in mass migration to Europe from Africa and the Middle East, it will destabilize the whole region ?! It's funny how the Arabians, Russians, Chinese and others seemingly do nothing in all of this ?

Samo

So the answer is empty properties?

I keep asking what the plan would be for it all but nobody seems to know?

Could there not be camps setup? Who provides the land? I am pretty sure people would donate clothing, tents, blankets, fuel etc but I am not too sure many people have acres of land knocking about to give away.

Where will the kids be schooled? Which doctors and hospitals will treat them? Schools are struggling as it is.

I don't know what the answer is Nick, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. There will be a way and it is up to those elected to make these decisions to ensure that it is found.

Nick

Administrator
I don't know what the answer is Nick, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. There will be a way and it is up to those elected to make these decisions to ensure that it is found.

I agree it should happen but it should be planned and happen properly.

Like I just posted if millions leave Poland and Romania to come here, surely they have space? It should be calculated on a % of migrants / refugees already there as to not overload.

Samo

I agree it should happen but it should be planned and happen properly.

Like I just posted if millions leave Poland and Romania to come here, surely they have space? It should be calculated on a % of migrants / refugees already there as to not overload.

Fair comment... but is there time?

magic82ball

Evo there's nothing wrong with having different views and respect to you and Nick for commenting even though the general consensus is of a different opinion to yours. However we are entitled to respectfully interrogate them if we want to, and of course, you're entitled to respectfully ignore us or interrogate back...For example, why do you think it's a problem that thousands of refugees will be here soon? I think it's something that we should be proud of.
I think the general consensus is skewed somewhat as people who feel the opposite to you are less likely to comment for fear of being called Nigel farage or some other pathetic name calling.
what i don't understand is how can a country so proud of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindertransport can now be so slow on the uptake of doing the right thing. It's not just MP's either, there is a large percentage of the UK population who think it's someone else's problem or have no understanding of what is actually going on. Problem's are there to be owned and this is a problem we as a nation and individually can help with. Why would any decent human being sit back and do nothing?

Well there is a clear divide in the population ..on one hand you have people that do want to help and one you have people that dont .
Neither are any less human .. but the left will make out you are ..to get their own way and it will work ..we will have thousands here soon

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

eastwoodsdustman

Step one is to set up more refugee camps in neighboring countries and help them there like they are doing in Jordan etc at the moment. Step two is to get western forces in to get rid of Assad, IS and the Islamic fundamentalists causing all of the problems and to make the area safer to live in, thereby sorting out what we started in the first place. Step three is to assist the people to get home and help set up a fair an democratic government.

Answer to all of the world problems in three easy steps. I'll wait for the nobel prize, thanks.

Nick

Administrator
Fair comment... but is there time?

The other option is to just rush it, let everybody in and have no organisation or structure to it I guess. How many will Russia, China, Japan etc be taking in?

Samo

I think the general consensus is skewed somewhat as people who feel the opposite to you are less likely to comment for fear of being called Nigel farage or some other pathetic name calling.

Like a naive lefty do-good-er you mean?

Nick

Administrator
Step one is to set up more refugee camps in neighboring countries and help them there like they are doing in Jordan etc at the moment. Step two is to get western forces in to get rid of Assad, IS and the Islamic fundamentalists causing all of the problems and to make the area safer to live in, thereby sorting out what we started in the first place. Step three is to assist the people to get home and help set up a fair an democratic government.

Answer to all of the world problems in three easy steps. I'll wait for the nobel prize, thanks.

Agree, would be ideal if the cause of all of the people fleeing was sorted.

Samo

The other option is to just rush it, let everybody in and have no organisation or structure to it I guess. How many will Russia, China, Japan etc be taking in?

So if some refuse to take a share we refuse ours?

shy_tall_knight

As a child of immigrants I feel uneasy about saying this bu twe already have approximately 7/8 million of economic migrants. Without knowing the full details aren't most of the African migrants economic. I can understand why they want to come to Europe but won't this put huge pressure on social costs of countries already going through austerity cuts. There are also security issues to consider.

torchomatic

This is nothing to do with economic migrants.

As a child of immigrants I feel uneasy about saying this bu twe already have approximately 7/8 million of economic migrants. Without knowing the full details aren't most of the African migrants economic. I can understand why they want to come to Europe but won't this put huge pressure on social costs of countries already going through austerity cuts. There are also security issues to consider.

skybluejelly

step 4 is to get some of the young gentleman which there are a huge number of to fight for there own country..

these countries need to stand together and fight oppression themselves. and not blame the western countries who they ask for help then turn on them when it suits

Sky Blue Kid

There's a massive difference between these "War torn" refugees, and bone idle bastards coming over to the UK purely to scrounge benefits. Syria has approx 23m people of whom nearly 1.5m have fled the country from ISIS. It cuts me to pieces to see these photos of innocent children drowning. We must follow Germany's lead(They will take in 1m refugees) whilst getting rid of those that want OUR money calling it, in the words of Anjem Choudary "Jihadi Benefits".

magic82ball

Like a naive lefty do-good-er you mean?
Its very easy to say 'let's help out our fellow man' because this is a feeling that is undoubtedly felt by almost everyone, even those on the opposite side of the argument. Virtually no fear of ridicule. Yet ask a few more questions, dare to express your fears and concerns and before you know it your Nigel farage, it really is pathetic.

ajsccfc

Whilst it is tragic that a young kid has drowned, kids have starved to death in Africa for years haven't they? There are kids in this country that need help too.

Aside from the humanitarian aid the country commits to, the public alone have been donating millions to help both for decades with Comic Relief and Children in Need to name just two. The fact that starvation and poverty still exist doesn't mean that the help has failed or that nothing else should be considered.

The left will get their way as they do with everything anyway

but the left will make out you are

No agenda there.

Nick

Administrator
There's a massive difference between these "War torn" refugees, and bone idle bastards coming over to the UK purely to scrounge benefits. Syria has approx 23m people of whom nearly 1.5m have fled the country from ISIS. It cuts me to pieces to see these photos of innocent children drowning. We must follow Germany's lead(They will take in 1m refugees) whilst getting rid of those that want OUR money calling it, in the words of Anjem Choudary "Jihadi Benefits".

Agree with you, I am all for kicking people out who have just come here to scrounge and I'd be half tempted to ship out some of the natives too to make space for people who do want to work and make a difference.

I'd certainly ship out anybody who visits ISIS or tries to be with them etc. If a family of 4 want to join ISIS then let them, but they won't be allowed back into this country.

ajsccfc

Its very easy to say 'let's help out our fellow man' because this is a feeling that is undoubtedly felt by almost everyone, even those on the opposite side of the argument. Virtually no fear of ridicule. Yet ask a few more questions, dare to express your fears and concerns and before you know it your Nigel farage, it really is pathetic.

If you're on the other side of that you're accused of being part of the PC brigade, let's not pretend that there's any one-way victimisation there.

torchomatic

Exactly. Sentences usually start "I'm not a racist but...."

If you're on the other side of that you're accused of being part of the PC brigade, let's not pretend that there's any one-way victimisation there.

Samo

Well I'm sure you are tough enough to take the flack... let's hear it.

eastwoodsdustman

Its all well and good us taking on say 50,000 refugees but there are millions of people who have been displaced. By taking a small % of them we are really not helping at all with the bigger picture although it will make the country feel like its done its bit to help them. The west needs to get to the root cause and sort that problem out first and foremost. Any amount of refugees we take will be a drop in the ocean.

Users who are viewing this thread