Should pressley be sacked now

• Yes

Votes: 195 80.9%
  • No

Votes: 46 19.1%

• Total voters

SkyBlue_Bear83

Yes but not because of last night because

His recruitment has been dreadful, failed to identify and address significant issues within the squad

Has little idea on a set formation or system

Plays players out of position constantly, last year we had Jordan Clarke at striker, CB, RB, Blair Adams at LM, Aaron Phillips in midfield, Willis and Clarke both at LB at some point. This year we've had Clarke at wing back, Haynes at LM, Nouble and Mcquoid on the wings and I couldn't even tell you what position Swanson and O'Brien have been playing since they have joined.

One day players are seemingly frozen out and the next day they are back in the squad, changes his mind like the wind and I guess half the team have no idea if they are staying or going or what sort of security they have. Clarke, Barton, Tudgay, Jackson, Miller, Nouble, Mcquoid have all been looked like they have been frozen out only for Pressley to change his mind a few weeks later and bring them back into the squad a few weeks later and then only to freeze them out again when he feels like it.

Gazolba

He should step down

He will NEVER 'step down'. He has a 4-year contract.
He 'deserves' to be sacked but based on the cost of breaking the contract, it might be more prudent to keep him a while longer. It's a toss-up though because he could well get us relegated.

Paxman II

Contracts can be broken and a compromise reached. The payoff would not equate to 4 years salary. It would not cost the earth to sack him. The problem is who is brought in at what cost? Back room staff have to change as well as the manager. There's a whole team of staff that will change....that's costly. And for what? A dramatic improvement or a risk? results matter however they come. We have had a few good results lately regardless of last nights performance against the top side. Prudent to give SP a while longer. I agree he has seemed poor at best but has had a few results so he deserves the chance to a bit more time. I'd say end of January early February to get a few more good results and if it's still riddled with lame performances and poor results then he must go.
Noggin is right, we don't know all the circumstances he is working under. We know his choices and tactics on game day but that's all. We are not privy to training, players moods, directors dictate etc but results will matter in the end. This squad ought to be doing better and I think all of us would have made a better fist of it last night than he seemed to do. The noose is tightening so the pressure is on. Our current owners can't afford another relegation to happen.

Jackoskyblue

Yes - 103 - 81.75%

no - 23 - 18.25%

Thanks

So taking them stats and applying them to an 8000 attendance around 6400 of the 8000 hardcore want Pressley out interesting obviously needs more to be more accurate but this is only heading one way

davebart

Not a great fan of how sacking managers seem to always be the answer. But with the squad we have we should be nearer the top of the league than the bottom.
This is bandied about a lot but can you be sure? Maybe they really are rubbish and just think they are better. After all if they were better they probably wouldn't be here.

mighty quinn

I like him as person.but yes.always seems to play for a draw and hope for a win at home.against below average teams.too negative for me.

Grendel

Not a great fan of how sacking managers seem to always be the answer. But with the squad we have we should be nearer the top of the league than the bottom.
This is bandied about a lot but can you be sure? Maybe they really are rubbish and just think they are better. After all if they were better they probably wouldn't be here.

Where would they be? Rochdale? Or Scunthorpe (until they changed manager)?

Great_Expectations

I am seldom one to call for the the managers head, preferring to give any manger the benefit of the doubt and time to turn the downward spiral around. The exception is when their position becomes untenable, which usually means the benefit of the doubt card is no longer playable and they have had plenty of time to turn it around. Unfortunately Pressley now falls into this category.

To take a step back and try to provide a quasi balanced view, let's review the reasons proposed for giving himboth the benefit and time; our best players have been sold from under him, he has to rely on freebies/loans, he had to work under unique circumstances when at Sixfields, he has no say in signings, he has no money to spend.

The common theme in all of that is that none of it is actually about Pressley or his managment ability. Without wanting to spark another SISU debate, the "pro Pressley" reasons are not even to do with Pressley, but our owners and those above him. Very few are defending Pressley based on his management capabilities and the belief that he will see us through based on....well that's the issue based on what?!

Those opposed to Pressley and in favour of him being replaced cite reasons directly related to SP. Granted that is the nature of the arguement, but some of it clearly offsets the "pro Pressley" arguments. He hasn't had any money to spend on transfer fees, but he certainly has on wages, JOB and Swanson rejected offers at their existing clubs to come here - why would that be? Jackson, Tudgay, Martin, Nouble, JOB, Pugh all dropped down a league to play for us, their wage demands are going to be a lot higher than players signed from divisions below. There are a lot of teams in our league who sign from below. Based on that theory, generally speaking we are spending/have spend more in wages than the majority of teams in the league, yet sit 18th.

Granted not all those players are proving worthy of those wages, but where does the blame lie? You will always get one or two flops, but to have the majority of signings flop is rare. The theme, unfortunately implicates the person responsible for getting the best out of those signings, SP. On paper our squad is certainly strong enough to be around the play offs, we have pedigree in the side, yet we languish in the bottom third. I accept theory doesn't always match reality, but they should not be as far apart as they are in this instance.

Last night was probably the first game of football I have ever watched in which, I had literally no idea what formation the team I was watching was playing. If it looked confusing, and quite frankly a shambles, from the higher vantage point in the stands, pitch level the players must have been totally perplexed. It seemed to vary from a 4-5-1 to 4-2-3-1 to 4-4-2 to 4-3-2-1, regardless it was ridiculous. Again that is is the fault of the manager.

There is a complete lack of consistency across all areas of the Pressley regime. From players being in the bomb squad to starting, from back 3's to back 4's, from no wingers to wingers, from anti loans to a squad full of loans, from one captain to another. It could be argued he is open minded and not completely stubborn in his mindset. However the counter to that, is none of his inconsistency has provided any form of improvement/benefit.

He has been here for nearly two years now and fans opinion is still divided. If we forgot the first half of last season, what else is there to give us confidence in his ability? It appears that was the peak, the exception rather than the rule.

I think generally speaking all CCFC fans wanted (and still want) SP to do well; he seems to have an affinity with the club, he is passionate, he speaks sense and seems a genuine chap. Unfortunately it has not worked out, last night was the nail in the coffin for me; players seems disinterested, we appeared to have no formation or game plan, we showed how far away we are from the top teams in the league and there are no signs of improving.

Pressley has lost the dressing room, he has jumped the shark, it is over.

I would love him to prove us all wrong, but unfortunately I do not think it will happen.

skybluepm2

send results to the telegraph and ccfc

Or to Pressley himself via carrier pigeon to Ryton so he can stop living in 'Coventry way, DNA, proud of the group, fantastic commitment' bubble and realise he is useless. It'd be nice if the pigeon shat on him as it flew off. After all, that's what he's done to us since his arrival with his pathetic win ratio. One win a month is all he's averaging at present!

Paxman II

All very well and good but we won well at Walsall and had lots of praise. Next game we looked a shadow of that performance. Nail the reasons for that and how have your answer.

stupot07

Swindon are a much better team than Walsall

Yep and scored more than twice as many goals as walsall, as well as 22 more points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Astute

All very well and good but we won well at Walsall and had lots of praise. Next game we looked a shadow of that performance. Nail the reasons for that and how have your answer.

Walsall are as poor as us. But the reason looks to be that we had injuries so he put players in the team that he doesn't want playing and also played the defenders in their preferred . They were our best players against Walsall. But once he can choose the players he wants he went back to the normal players in their normal positions which gave the normal substandard display.

Moff

No passion, no shape, no flair, no idea, no shots or goals, no fight...I could go on. Its time for Pressley to head to pastures new.

Evo1883

We don't agree very often but agree here 100%.

Unless they are worried that nobody better would want the job :facepalm:
im having a discussion with a guy on facebook who claims fergie or jose couldnt do a better job :facepalm:

Astute

im having a discussion with a guy on facebook who claims fergie or jose couldnt do a better job :facepalm:

You should ask him why Man U or Chelsea have not inquired whether he is available to manage their clubs :p

zigojacko

It's actually difficult to judge the players when there is so much 'up-in-the-air' inconsistency and when they are being played out of positions. Certainly, any other manager would be doing a better job by playing players where they are best suited in the formation that suits the line-up. Only then can be determine whether any other manager can do a better job with the players in the squad.

ollyservetta

when with as a player he was a knob on and of the pitch , he has returned as a even bigger knob. Should, from a footballing point of view ,have gone end of last season , to be given a 4 year contract was stupid and only given I believe to up his compensation, with our owners thinking they would turn over a quick buck ,they know less about the game than SP. Forgetting the result ,Worcester are playing home games in kiddy,are up to their neck in debt, gave free admission to their last home game last season to try to promote interest ,.they had been surviving on gates of a couple of hundred. They played us of the park ,they gave skunny a right run around over 2 games ,all down to good coaching ,passion and leadership .we have none of that , all down to SP.

jassie78

100% he should be sacked. no plan b when things are going wrong makes subs way to late to change the game. Plays boring denfensive tactatics at home. Lost players in dressing room, the players don't listen to instructions , this whole affair is getting boring now and i'm very fed up of coventry city. Me, my bro and friend are not renewing our season tickets, not while sisu, pressley are in charge. I can't even give my ticket away when I don't go to matches. I rather spend my £315 on holiday.

Last edited:

Gint11

Answer to your thread....YES and no don't bring back Thorn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

Didn't he suddenly decide to change tactics after watching the world cup? He is ridiculous, he seems to think of himself as a football intellectual and clearly has ideas very much above his station. If he remains in charge for the rest of the season he will take us down.

What is this rubbish about the 'coventry way'? What is it? Does anyone actually know?

Users who are viewing this thread