So who owns WASPS? (1 Viewer)

rupert_bear

Moving a club to get the locals to come and watch is franchising isn't it?

I totally understand if we get to the prem then the gates would shoot up, same with cov rugby. Not moving teams in already there.
But you are deliberately missing a very important point. Wasps left their "home" of London TEN years ago, don't tell me oh Wycombe is near London an excuse, it is not London. Also they have been actively looking for a new home for 2 to 3 years. Their old home was West London does that mean if they found a new one in Cockfosters or Catford that that borough is nickin' them, tosh mate. This is just a wagon you have jumped on to knock ccc, acl something you have practised for ages. As with the Sixfields debacle you have jumoed on the wrong horse pal

Last edited:

letsallsingtogether

But what I am saying is that in most sport people don't care if it is franchising does that make the quality of the sport any different?
People are willing to pay to watch top quality sport doesn't matter where it is. whether it is right or wrong doesn't come into it.

I for one wouldn't go that is my choice, but far more would. IMO
I do not agreeing with it, just putting across the argument if it didn't work they wouldn't do it.

Moving a club to get the locals to come and watch is franchising isn't it?

I totally understand if we get to the prem then the gates would shoot up, same with cov rugby. Not moving teams in already there.

Nick

Administrator
But you are deliberately missing a very important point. Wasps left their "home" of London TEN years ago, don't tell me oh Wycombe is near London an excuse, it is not London. Also they have been actively looking for a new home for 2 to 3 years. Theie old home was West London does that mean if they found a new one in Cockfosters or Catford that that borough is nickin' them, tosh mate. This is just a wagon you have jumped on to knock ccc, acl something you have practised for ages. As with the Sixfields debacle you have jumoed on the wrong horse pal

Oh so they aren't being moved a fair few miles? I don't do bandwagons.

The defence of this from some is an absolute joke and makes city fans look stupid. City fans were begging other fans to help us, sign petitions, stand on the hill, don't do this do that but now look at opinions on it. We should know better than most shouldn't we?

I haven't backed any horse, just my football team and I would whether we are in the prem or conference. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong as I should clearly fuck them off to support Leicester now they are in the top league or I should be hoping we can get a top team in at the ricoh so we can sack ccfc off.

Nick

Administrator
But what I am saying is that in most sport people don't care if it is franchising does that make the quality of the sport any different?
People are willing to pay to watch top quality sport doesn't matter where it is. whether it is right or wrong doesn't come into it.

I for one wouldn't go that is my choice, but far more would. IMO
I do not agreeing with it, just putting across the argument if it didn't work they wouldn't do it.

No I know. I understand that and not saying you do agree or anything but I just think that from our experience the people of coventry would be a bit more clued up.

There are probably some actual wasps fans in which case it may be a bonus for them.

letsallsingtogether

That is the problem we are more clued up that is why we are arguing through desperation more then anything.
After all that has happened we are being kicked in the teeth yet again.

We had adulation when we heard CCFC back at the Ricoh.
Following week Sisu say it is temporary we are moving to a new ground.
Now we have ACL saying we are going to sell to a Rugby Club.
Why can't they all just leave us alone to support our team in peace for once:(
Like you I have actually had enough of this shit it is tiring and getting boring not much fight left now.

Might as well just leave it to them to destroy all that we love and destroy themselves.
Then again I'm not that tired yet,
No I know. I understand that and not saying you do agree or anything but I just think that from our experience the people of coventry would be a bit more clued up.

There are probably some actual wasps fans in which case it may be a bonus for them.

lordsummerisle

But you are deliberately missing a very important point. Wasps left their "home" of London TEN years ago, don't tell me oh Wycombe is near London an excuse, it is not London. Also they have been actively looking for a new home for 2 to 3 years. Their old home was West London does that mean if they found a new one in Cockfosters or Catford that that borough is nickin' them, tosh mate. This is just a wagon you have jumped on to knock ccc, acl something you have practised for ages. As with the Sixfields debacle you have jumoed on the wrong horse pal

You're a right thick c-unit aren't you?

rupert_bear

The defence of this from some is an absolute joke and makes city fans look stupid. City fans were begging other fans to help us, sign petitions, stand on the hill, don't do this do that but now look at opinions on it. We should know better than most shouldn't we?

I haven't backed any horse, just my football team and I would whether we are in the prem or conference. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong as I should clearly fuck them off to support Leicester now they are in the top league or I should be hoping we can get a top team in at the ricoh so we can sack ccfc off.
Lets smash a myth. There was little support from other fans over the Northampton thing, infact there were more laughing up their sleeves at our predicament than helping, yes there were a few quotes of disgust on here, but support, no. We were on our own mate. A Villa fan at work who's wife is a season ticket holder at Cov, or was, said to me how can you lot expect support when season tickets are being bought at Sixfields, can't really argue with that can you. The only way we will ever get a "top" team as you put it at the Ricoh is with sisu gone and that is why I hope and pray this Wasp thing happens as I believe it will speed the end of sisu.

theferret

Lets smash a myth. There was little support from other fans over the Northampton thing, infact there were more laughing up their sleeves at our predicament than helping, yes there were a few quotes of disgust on here, but support, no. We were on our own mate. A Villa fan at work who's wife is a season ticket holder at Cov, or was, said to me how can you lot expect support when season tickets are being bought at Sixfields, can't really argue with that can you. The only way we will ever get a "top" team as you put it at the Ricoh is with sisu gone and that is why I hope and pray this Wasp thing happens as I believe it will speed the end of sisu.

Wtf. Of course, silly me, I was forgetting all those super wealthy individuals queuing up to buy a football club that plays second fiddle to a Rugby side in a stadium it has no hope of owning. Yep, they'll be falling over themselves to buy into that.

Deal goes through, you're stuck with SISU for a very long time. Judging by some of the crap you have posted recently, it'll be the least you deserve.

Rusty Trombone

Wtf. Of course, silly me, I was forgetting all those super wealthy individuals queuing up to buy a football club that plays second fiddle to a Rugby side in a stadium it has no hope of owning. Yep, they'll be falling over themselves to buy into that.

Deal goes through, you're stuck with SISU for a very long time. Judging by some of the crap you have posted recently, it'll be the least you deserve.

Why would SISU hang around? They will never get their (or their investors) money back, I don't believe they would try the gamble of trying to trade their way to having a successful club, they would have nothing left. Why would they continue to throw money at the club?

rupert_bear

Do you think that this Wasps thing and owning the football side of things are not linked then ?

theferret

Why would SISU hang around? They will never get their (or their investors) money back, I don't believe they would try the gamble of trying to trade their way to having a successful club, they would have nothing left. Why would they continue to throw money at the club?

I think you have to be naive in the extreme to think SISU would just walk away. But let's say they did, the club would still be screwed. The Ricoh would be the home to Wasps RFC. It would belong to them. We would have no prospect of buying it. We would still have the same pitiful 25 day a year rent agreement, and even on those days money that we spend to watch our football club would end up in the hands of Wasps. Oh, and let's not even get into the discussion about the rebranding exercise in and around the ground that would inevitably happen if Wasps were to make the Ricoh their home. People are 'hoping and praying' for this outcome? Unbelievable.

Rusty Trombone

I think you have to be naive in the extreme to think SISU would just walk away. But let's say they did, the club would still be screwed. The Ricoh would be the home to Wasps RFC. It would belong to them. We would have no prospect of buying it. We would still have the same pitiful 25 day a year rent agreement, and even on those days money that we spend to watch our football club would end up in the hands of Wasps. Oh, and let's not even get into the discussion about the rebranding exercise in and around the ground that would inevitably happen if Wasps were to make the Ricoh their home. People are 'hoping and praying' for this outcome? Unbelievable.

I think it's more naive to believe SISU would continue to fund the club with no prospect of a return, it's not like they are fans of the club, but I respect your differing view.

If SISU are interested in buying the ACL shares they need to get a shift on, but they will only do what's best for SISU, I wonder what their plan is, I assume they have one.

theferret

I think it's more naive to believe SISU would continue to fund the club with no prospect of a return, it's not like they are fans of the club, but I respect your differing view.

If SISU are interested in buying the ACL shares they need to get a shift on, but they will only do what's best for SISU, I wonder what their plan is, I assume they have one.

I note that you suggest that SISU would have no hope of a return if this deal happens, well surely that would apply to whoever took the club on then? What hope would there be for them?

It is perfectly possible, that even post this deal, the club could be sustained as a lower league outfit on gates of 8000 in Wasps owned Ricoh Arena, on a break-even or even small profit basis. Given that, do you not think SISU would play the long game in the hope something might change in future? If they can engineer a break even situation by further cutting costs, then I have no doubt they would stick around rather than wave goodbye to millions and hand the club over in a knee-jerk reaction.

Rusty Trombone

I note that you suggest that SISU would have no hope of a return if this deal happens, well surely that would apply to whoever took the club on then? What hope would there be for them?

It is perfectly possible, that even post this deal, the club could be sustained as a lower league outfit on gates of 8000 in Wasps owned Ricoh Arena, on a break-even or even small profit basis. Given that, do you not think SISU would play the long game in the hope something might change in future? If they can engineer a break even situation by further cutting costs, then I have no doubt they would stick around rather than wave goodbye to millions and hand the club over in a knee-jerk reaction.

It looks like the long game involves buying into ACL now, so if SISU are interested in playing they need to find some money, otherwise it would appear they will waving goodbye to millions regardless of what they would rather do.

Frisky blue

How about speaking up against our shit owners Nick?
It is sisu who have dragged us down to this level, sisu who lack any ambition for our club, sisu who continue with pointless legal challenges, instead of investing in our clubs future. Need I go on, or do you still feel it absolutely necessary to blame everybody else but sisu, for all Coventry City's woes?

Nick

Administrator
How about speaking up against our shit owners Nick?
It is sisu who have dragged us down to this level, sisu who lack any ambition for our club, sisu who continue with pointless legal challenges, instead of investing in our clubs future. Need I go on, or do you still feel it absolutely necessary to blame everybody else but sisu, for all Coventry City's woes?

SISU can be blamed for a hell of a lot. They can't be blamed for ACL being hypocrites if they move Wasps in though can they? It would be a different scenario if it was Cov Rugby Club.

ACL can be blamed for certain things
SISU can be blamed for a lot of things
CCC can be blamed for things

Try having a step back rather than just living in your everybody must work for SISU or be an apologist for them if they don't shout and blame them for everything bad in the world.

SISU moved us away, it was wrong. Other people doing it doesn't make it ok, the same as it doesn't make it wrong just because it was SISU doing it.

dongonzalos

SISU can be blamed for a hell of a lot. They can't be blamed for ACL being hypocrites if they move Wasps in though can they? It would be a different scenario if it was Cov Rugby Club.

ACL can be blamed for certain things 10%
SISU can be blamed for a lot of things 80%
CCC can be blamed for things 10%

Nick

Administrator
Sorry, I forgot I needed to do complex mathematical equations to get the point across that none of them give a shit about the club, all play silly games and all have their own agendas. :)

dongonzalos

Sorry, I forgot I needed to do complex mathematical equations to get the point across that none of them give a shit about the club, all play silly games and all have their own agendas.

I really hope you don't think percentages adding up 100 is a complex mathematical equation ;)

martcov

ACL can be blamed for certain things
SISU can be blamed for a lot of things
CCC can be blamed for things

Try having a step back rather than just living in your everybody must work for SISU or be an apologist for them if they don't shout and blame them for everything bad in the world.

SISU moved us away, it was wrong. Other people doing it doesn't make it ok, the same as it doesn't make it wrong just because it was SISU doing it.

I am a City fan first and foremost. You seem to be content to slag off anyone who is against the status quo. You also compare our predicament to that of Wasps. That is like comparing an apple to a pear. Wasps have sporting ambition as a priority. They need a bigger stadium for, at least, European games. That is a fact. There were protests on the streets against their new stadium plans in Wycombe ( in Cov there were Protests about not being in our stadium ). None of us know the details of the proposal and so to get on your high horse now could end up with you looking stupid - especially if CCFC benefit directly or indirectly - in the end. I say fair play to Wasps for having sporting ambition. We have no security of tenure, no pledges of more finance, are sitting mid-table in the third division, are hardly on speaking terms with the City Council and our stadium plan is to leave and build a smaller one somewhere nearby and more than likely with poor transport connections ( exactly the situation that Wasps are trying to get out of ). If you like that sort of thing go support Cov United or Sphinx. I am more interested in supporting my team going upwards in the sporting sense.

stupot07

I am a City fan first and foremost. You seem to be content to slag off anyone who is against the status quo. You also compare our predicament to that of Wasps. That is like comparing an apple to a pear. Wasps have sporting ambition as a priority. They need a bigger stadium for, at least, European games. That is a fact. There were protests on the streets against their new stadium plans in Wycombe ( in Cov there were Protests about not being in our stadium ). None of us know the details of the proposal and so to get on your high horse now could end up with you looking stupid - especially if CCFC benefit directly or indirectly - in the end. I say fair play to Wasps for having sporting ambition. We have no security of tenure, no pledges of more finance, are sitting mid-table in the third division, are hardly on speaking terms with the City Council and our stadium plan is to leave and build a smaller one somewhere nearby and more than likely with poor transport connections ( exactly the situation that Wasps are trying to get out of ). If you like that sort of thing go support Cov United or Sphinx. I am more interested in supporting my team going upwards in the sporting sense.

Please tell me what these direct and indirect benefits will be? If wasps buy 90% of ACL we will struggle to go upwards and onwards, will probably never get back to the PL whoever our owners are. And it also makes the prospect of building a new ground far more likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Nick

Administrator

I don't give a shit about the ambition of Wasps or anybody else.

Would they be up and moving, yes or no? Why does it matter if they are moving to a bigger or smaller ground?

If SISU said they are going to build a 35 thousand seater stadium but it is just the other side of Wolverhampton would that make it ok or not? You seem to think that it is ok to move as long as it is based on ambition.

I haven't slagged anybody off have I? Sorry, I am only interested in supporting Coventry City FC whether they are at the Ricoh or the Memorial Park.

martcov

Please tell me what these direct and indirect benefits will be? If wasps buy 90% of ACL we will struggle to go upwards and onwards, will probably never get back to the PL whoever our owners are. And it also makes the prospect of building a new ground far more likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Note: I said "if". Whatever happens next, the present plan is to leave the Ricoh. Whether Wasps are there or not, we have no chance of getting back to the PL. If the Wasps proposal considers us in anyway being permanently at the Ricoh at some time in the future, it will be better than our present predicament. ACL can do what they want if we are not planning to be there. I am surprised at the venom against ACL. It is SISU who are building a stadium and continuing with the JR. I thought it was all about reconciliation and healing. But SISU's stance is unchanged and therefore we can only hope that new players can influence that. We don't know if there is some clause for CCFC in the proposal. Anyway, it can't be a worse situation than we have now.

martcov

I don't give a shit about the ambition of Wasps or anybody else.

Would they be up and moving, yes or no? Why does it matter if they are moving to a bigger or smaller ground?

If SISU said they are going to build a 35 thousand seater stadium but it is just the other side of Wolverhampton would that make it ok or not? You seem to think that it is ok to move as long as it is based on ambition.

I haven't slagged anybody off have I? Sorry, I am only interested in supporting Coventry City FC whether they are at the Ricoh or the Memorial Park.

I give a shit about the ambition of CCFC. If Wasps have ambition - fair play to them. We don't. CCFC have a stadium in Cov, but are leaving for a small town or village. If that goes ahead, you or your children will be standing on a wet Sunday morning in the Memorial Park. Fair play to you if that's your long term wish. That has nothing to do with ACL, CCC, Wasps ot uncle Tom Cobberly - it has to do with the plan of our owners.

Nick

Administrator
I give a shit about the ambition of CCFC. If Wasps have ambition - fair play to them. We don't. CCFC have a stadium in Cov, but are leaving for a small town or village. If that goes ahead, you or your children will be standing on a wet Sunday morning in the Memorial Park. Fair play to you if that's your long term wish. That has nothing to do with ACL, CCC, Wasps ot uncle Tom Cobberly - it has to do with the plan of our owners.

I have never said it would be ACL's fault if we ended up there. I can't remember saying it is my wish as I obviously wouldn't want that but transport links and relationship with the local council weren't really the things that were on the checklist when it came to be about which football team I supported.

My issue is that up and moving to other places seems to be fine as it is just them showing ambition. If SISU said they were building a 35,000 seater stadium but it was going to be miles away, would that be ok also?

martcov

I have never said it would be ACL's fault if we ended up there. I can't remember saying it is my wish as I obviously wouldn't want that but transport links and relationship with the local council weren't really the things that were on the checklist when it came to be about which football team I supported.

My issue is that up and moving to other places seems to be fine as it is just them showing ambition. If SISU said they were building a 35,000 seater stadium but it was going to be miles away, would that be ok also?

No. If SISU built a 35000 seater stadium miles away it would be madness as they have/ had the chance to start negotiating for a 32000 seater stadium in Cov. If they had a 12000 to 15000 stadium near Coventry, and then decided to come back to the Ricoh because of ambition and transport facilities ( e.g. station in planning ), I would be all for it.

Transport links and a good relationship with the council are important if you want to grow. If you just want to tread time until something positive happens, then I suppose they are not so important.

Nick

Administrator
No. If SISU built a 35000 seater stadium miles away it would be madness as they have/ had the chance to start negotiating for a 32000 seater stadium in Cov. If they had a 12000 to 15000 stadium near Coventry, and then decided to come back to the Ricoh because of ambition and transport facilities ( e.g. station in planning ), I would be all for it.

Transport links and a good relationship with the council are important if you want to grow. If you just want to tread time until something positive happens, then I suppose they are not so important.

Ah but 32000 wouldn't be big enough, not enough ambition, need a 35000 seater. Surely it isn't hard to say moving away would be wrong?

stupot07

Note: I said "if". Whatever happens next, the present plan is to leave the Ricoh. Whether Wasps are there or not, we have no chance of getting back to the PL. If the Wasps proposal considers us in anyway being permanently at the Ricoh at some time in the future, it will be better than our present predicament. ACL can do what they want if we are not planning to be there. I am surprised at the venom against ACL. It is SISU who are building a stadium and continuing with the JR. I thought it was all about reconciliation and healing. But SISU's stance is unchanged and therefore we can only hope that new players can influence that. We don't know if there is some clause for CCFC in the proposal. Anyway, it can't be a worse situation than we have now.

Oh the irony.

martcov

Ah but 32000 wouldn't be big enough, not enough ambition, need a 35000 seater. Surely it isn't hard to say moving away would be wrong?

Moving away for us would be wrong. We don't need to. Moving away for Wasps may be right if Wycombe ( the residents ) doesn't want a larger stadium and Wasps have to have one that holds over 15000 for European games, then Wasps are going to either give up on being a top European side or find an alternative - at least for the European games.

I don't think it is black and white for Wasps. They have nearly gone under at least twice for financial reasons and this may be because it costs so much to play at a top level and they cannot carry on like this. The alternative to not looking for a way out could be worse - they could end up in constant financial trouble playing in a lower league ( see Coventry Rugby ).

I think we shouldn't make the mistake of comparing other people's problems and traditons to ours. I also think that Wasps being involved in a possible takeover could finally break the deadlock in our situation. It's all very well slagging off CCC and ACL for not having vision ( as Joy has done ), but to be watching from the sidelines whilst a deal is being done is somewhat stupid from SISU's point of view.

The P.i.T.S. Stadium could become the only alternative if they are not careful. I just hope that their stunning sielence on the matter means that they are in some way involved in the discussions.

stupot07

Moving away for us would be wrong. We don't need to. Moving away for Wasps may be right if Wycombe ( the residents ) doesn't want a larger stadium and Wasps have to have one that holds over 15000 for European games, then Wasps are going to either give up on being a top European side or find an alternative - at least for the European games.

I don't think it is black and white for Wasps. They have nearly gone under at least twice for financial reasons and this may be because it costs so much to play at a top level and they cannot carry on like this. The alternative to not looking for a way out could be worse - they could end up in constant financial trouble playing in a lower league ( see Coventry Rugby ).

I think we shouldn't make the mistake of comparing other people's problems and traditons to ours. I also think that Wasps being involved in a possible takeover could finally break the deadlock in our situation. It's all very well slagging off CCC and ACL for not having vision ( as Joy has done ), but to be watching from the sidelines whilst a deal is being done is somewhat stupid from SISU's point of view.

The P.i.T.S. Stadium could become the only alternative if they are not careful. I just hope that their stunning sielence on the matter means that they are in some way involved in the discussions.

If they only need a stadium for European ties, then there's plenty of 15k+ stadiums within London and the surrounding area to do a pay as you play deal. Absolutely no need to buy 90% of ACL to do that. They want the Ricoh to earn money off and eventually relocate.

If they purchase 90% of the Ricoh, then we might very likely need to move and build our own stadium to progress.

We know sisu are c-units. I just don't get why you're giving ACL a free pass on this.

letsallsingtogether

Who's giving ACL a free pass what do you propose we do? their are still few of us waiting for the call?
No point of ranting on here and then doing nothing we have been there before.
Same people keep throwing around claims about other fans but at the same time do nothing for what they believe in.

Sorry but that makes them worse.

If they only need a stadium for European ties, then there's plenty of 15k+ stadiums within London and the surrounding area to do a pay as you play deal. Absolutely no need to buy 90% of ACL to do that. They want the Ricoh to earn money off and eventually relocate.

If they purchase 90% of the Ricoh, then we might very likely need to move and build our own stadium to progress.

We know sisu are c-units. I just don't get why you're giving ACL a free pass on this.

skybluetony176

No one should be giving ACL a free pass on this but at the same time SISU shouldn't be getting one either and I would argue that they're getting more free passes than ACL at the moment despite constantly announcing it's open season on ACL and the Ricoh because they've moved on. Shit, SISU have done such a good job at advertising it's availability by keeping it in the press through court action and pointless statements I'm half expecting them to claim commission if the sale to Wasps happen.

Users who are viewing this thread