So who owns WASPS? (2 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

I think we shouldn't make the mistake of comparing other people's problems and traditons to ours.

You're right, Wasps have a far greater tradition in their chosen sport than we ever do...

I fail to see the justification for moving as a desire to increase financial punch. If the potential is there for a top level rugby club in Coventry, we have one that there has been nothing stopping the Wasps owner from taking over many times in the past, had he wished.

stupot07

Who's giving ACL a free pass what do you propose we do? their are still few of us waiting for the call?
No point of ranting on here and then doing nothing we have been there before.
Same people keep throwing around claims about other fans but at the same time do nothing for what they believe in.

Sorry but that makes them worse.

You're obviously selective reading if you can't see anyone giving ACL a free pass.

Mans what do you mean, people do nothing? What about the 2 marches, the boycott, the petition. Not everyone is in the position or has the right contacts to organise something, but like you are willing to join in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

martcov

If they only need a stadium for European ties, then there's plenty of 15k+ stadiums within London and the surrounding area to do a pay as you play deal. Absolutely no need to buy 90% of ACL to do that. They want the Ricoh to earn money off and eventually relocate.

If they purchase 90% of the Ricoh, then we might very likely need to move and build our own stadium to progress.

We know sisu are c-units. I just don't get why you're giving ACL a free pass on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

i am not giving ACL a free pass. SISU are. If ACL were in talks with TF and then pulled a fast one, I would say WTF...

but, iafter coming home to Cov, the first thing that TF did was to confirm going ahead with P.i.T.S. Stadium and that SISU were going ahead with appeal.

So much for healing. That is my issue. There is no need to move out of Cov.. Yes, we should working with the council and ACL to sort out a long term lease which sees CCC getting it's money back, Higgs getting paid off and CCFC getting security of tenure at an affordable price. We are not doing that - we are talking the same crap as before we went to Northampton.

i actually see Wasps as a game changer. SISU must act and may already be in some talks. The worse that can happen is that CCFC end up where SISU say they are taking them anyway - whether wasps are there or not. No-one believes Tim, but that is his line and as a business, ACL must assume the worst, that CCFC actually do build a stadium of their own.

shepardo01

The sale of 90% of the stadium to Wasps is a done deal.... No talks have taken place with the club because as far as the council are concerned and have been told "the club are building its own stadium".
Read into this what you will.

stupot07

But you are Mart. You keep saying his is 100% in sisu's court and if sisu don't act they are 100% to blame for selling a Coventry 'community asset' to a london franchise rugby team, which will significantly have a detrimental affect on 2 Coventry 'community' sports clubs.

There's a lot of bad blood between ACL and sisu, it was the general consensus on here that they should be able to buy the stadium/ACL now, but it would be better to have a short term deal, build trust. But now this deal brings a sense of urgency, and one which we (the club) are not in a position to act Quick enough.

Sisu should drop the appeal, stop talking about a new ground and ACL should drop talks with wasps and let the bridges be rebuilt. We've now gone from one mexican stand off to another.

martcov

You're right, Wasps have a far greater tradition in their chosen sport than we ever do...

I fail to see the justification for moving as a desire to increase financial punch. If the potential is there for a top level rugby club in Coventry, we have one that there has been nothing stopping the Wasps owner from taking over many times in the past, had he wished.

we don't know if it is to increase financial punch or a question of survival at their level. We don't know the feelings of their fans. We don't know whether the stadium would just be for European games and events, with maybe City as a tenant. We don't know a lot about the proposal, but we do know that CCFC are going ahead with their stadium ( according to their CEO and chairman ). Therefore, we shouldn't be at all surprised if the stadium management company and Wasps come together.

lordsummerisle

Whether they sell to the club or not is irrelevant to me.

It's selling up to somebody so they can set up a Franchise for a team miles from it's fanbase, on the doorstep of local teams that are already well established here.

The Sisu, will they/won't they build their own stadium part needs to be taken out of everyboy's thinking on this, it's irrelevent.

martcov

But you are Mart. You keep saying his is 100% in sisu's court and if sisu don't act they are 100% to blame for selling a Coventry 'community asset' to a london franchise rugby team, which will significantly have a detrimental affect on 2 Coventry 'community' sports clubs.

There's a lot of bad blood between ACL and sisu, it was the general consensus on here that they should be able to buy the stadium/ACL now, but it would be better to have a short term deal, build trust. But now this deal brings a sense of urgency, and one which we (the club) are not in a position to act Quick enough.

Sisu should drop the appeal, stop talking about a new ground and ACL should drop talks with wasps and let the bridges be rebuilt. We've now gone from one mexican stand off to another.

i agree with you, but where are SISU. Deathly quiet. Either they are brilliant, and are involved, or are crazy ( or rather bonkers ). I want a solution as much as anyone, but the insistence on the stadium and the JR are not helping. They could have suggested a trade off a long while ago - e.g. We'll drop these if you move towards our demands. They are sticking to their plan and that's that. So let's see what happens now. Something must give.

Nick

Administrator
I also love how it is now gospel that we are building a stadium and not the absolute bollocks it always been ;)

stupot07

Here a comment from one fan (from duffers link), vast majority saying they wouldn't renew their ST.

This one sounds familiar...

I'm in the same boat as w6. I support wasps because I chose a west London club - that's us, that's our history. I am not from the Midlands - if I'd wanted to support a club from Coventry I'd support Coventry rfc.

Move the club to Coventry and its NOT wasps anymore. It's a Midlands club who just happen o have the kit and the name, its a franchise. It would be an mk dons-Wimbledon move. And it would be a huge huge kick in the teeth to the support base that stuck with this club through thick and thin. And before anyone starts going on about the "survival of he club being more important" - not for me. If we cant survive in our historic home with a premiership squad I'd rather we slashed the wage bill and dropped a few leagues than move to the Midlands.

Would I renew my ST? Never in a million years. would I still support them? Probably not though id always have a soft spot for them. It just wouldn't be the same club to me. I wouldn't support Quins, sarries etc - I'd probably start going to watch blackheath or something.

Rant over. And I'm still hoping that this is all b*llocks and the club can announce somethin positive soon. I fully understand why the club can't say anything at this time - but the longer they leave it the more these rumours will grow

skybluetony176

I also love how it is now gospel that we are building a stadium and not the absolute bollocks it always been ;)

It's gospel that it's been said. If you know what we're supposed to believe perhaps you could help everyone out and let us know the truth. Mocking people for saying it will or won't happen or for just pointing out that this is what has been said is a cheap childish shot. But if it makes you feel better about yourself you knock yourself out.

Nick

Administrator
It's gospel that it's been said. If you know what we're supposed to believe perhaps you could help everyone out and let us know the truth. Mocking people for saying it will or won't happen or for just pointing out that this is what has been said is a cheap childish shot. But if it makes you feel better about yourself you knock yourself out.

I am not mocking anybody, I am just pointing out that one person can say two of things and if one thing suits an argument it must be the truth but the other thing gets "All they do is lie" responses.

People will believe what they want I guess, obviously it is whatever fits in with what they want to believe to back their point up.

martcov

I think it's bollocks as well, but it is official policy and ACL have to take it as gospel as if they don't and it does actually take place then they could be in big trouble. If we are wrong and it does take place, we just say oh fuck..., and that's it. If it is bollocks and SISU want to make an offer for the Ricoh, can you ask Tim to confirm this. It may make ACL think twice about selling to Wasps.

chiefdave

We, as fans, can choose to believe what Fisher says or assume he is bonkers but we're not running a business reliant on his actions.

Could be once bitten twice shy for CCC & Higgs. Nobody really thought SISU would be stupid enough to take us to Northampton but they did. If you have you 'main' tenant repeatedly saying in public they are moving out in 2 - 4 years and you do nothing about it you would have some questions to answer if and when they do bugger off.

He doesn't even need to abandon his new ground talk, he could just say we want to buy a stake in the Ricoh but will proceed with plans for the new ground in case a deal can't be reached. I feel that all the time he is saying we're not staying he's relieving pressure on CCC & Higgs. Its gives them a ready made excuse when people question why they are talking to Wasps.

oldfiver

It wasn't so much intransigent former owners - just check who they were and what their "ambitions" were

Coundon Road was sold by the then owner to a housing developer - sound familiar?

The acquisition of the Butts from Coventry Council was on the back of the surrounding land could be developed for commercial units and the profit fed back into the Club. However the market fell and it was not viable so the Company failed

The Company that then acquired BPA had similar ambitions but went the same way

In short BPA was bought primarily for development profits that were supposedly to build the Rugby Club - income just from playing rugby would never get it very far

The current directors / shareholders are primarily Cov Rugby supporters who have raised a lot of money to start to rebuild the club. They took this on with assurances from Cov Council that no other major rugby club would be granted permission to set up in the City

oldfiver

It would appear that WASPS started looking at the RICOH over a year ago not just in the past month

I understand that ACL have been working well with CCFC since the return. The pressure to sell (to any one but CCFC ) is from the Council and not Higgs

Tonylinc

The fact that CCFC seem intent on pushing their "new ground", rubbish together with the continuation of JR proceedings is of course not helping the healing process.

martcov

It wasn't so much intransigent former owners - just check who they were and what their "ambitions" were

Coundon Road was sold by the then owner to a housing developer - sound familiar?

The acquisition of the Butts from Coventry Council was on the back of the surrounding land could be developed for commercial units and the profit fed back into the Club. However the market fell and it was not viable so the Company failed

The Company that then acquired BPA had similar ambitions but went the same way

In short BPA was bought primarily for development profits that were supposedly to build the Rugby Club - income just from playing rugby would never get it very far

The current directors / shareholders are primarily Cov Rugby supporters who have raised a lot of money to start to rebuild the club. They took this on with assurances from Cov Council that no other major rugby club would be granted permission to set up in the City

interesting. How come the council gave that assurance? Did they see Wasps coming long ago? Do they have to grant permission to sports clubs who want to set up in Cov? Are they allowed not to give permission without a reason ( apart from a deal with rivals )?

martcov

It would appear that WASPS started looking at the RICOH over a year ago not just in the past month

I understand that ACL have been working well with CCFC since the return. The pressure to sell (to any one but CCFC ) is from the Council and not Higgs

Can you name your source? Are the council allowed to turn down viable offers ( e.g. From SISU )? Does your source know of an offer from SISU? Who at the council has "sell to anyone but SISU"?

L

limoncello

Can you name your source? Are the council allowed to turn down viable offers ( e.g. From SISU )? Does your source know of an offer from SISU? Who at the council has "sell to anyone but SISU"?

You're an idiot.

Users who are viewing this thread