Tesco parking (4 Viewers)

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

well I will be parking there tonight ..with some conveniently placed mud splatters on the number plates
Oh you naughty boy. :jawdrop:

covkid69

Noticed on Facebook spotted in Coventry the other night that someone had a fine from Tesco arena and they was only 11 minutes over the 2 hours so maybe a good idea to give parking there a miss

LastGarrison

Just don't pay the £100.

It is only an invoice and not an actual parking charge notice.

You'll get a few harshly worded 'red letters' but just ignore them and they give up.

westofrayne

Has anyone else had a parking ticket for match day parking at Tesco, I'm writing a letter contesting the £100 fine for being 18 mins over the allowed time, just seeing if anyone else has gone down this route?

Go into Customer Services, request they cancel it as you were stuck in traffic trying to get out the Car park. Remember the 2 hours is for parking not being on the land, there are plenty of website run by Solicitors/qualified people who will be able to tell you how to appeal these INVOICES. Remember these are not parking tickets just an invoice.

vow

Just been sent a Parking Charge Notice for parking.

Says £60 if paid in 14 days, £100 there after.
Missus actually went shopping while I was at the match and we did get delayed getting out, we didn't keep the reciept :(

Anyone else got any idea's how to get around this?
Gaz71, how did you get on?

Last edited:

Otis

Just been sent a Parking Charge Notice for parking 16 mins over 2 hours on Tues 18th October, Oxford game.

Syas £60 if paid in 14 days, £100 there after.
Missus actually went shopping while I was at the match and we did get delayed getting out, we didn't keep the reciept :(

Your missus should have receipts while you were at the game shouldn't she?

Can't you produce those and then say you got caught in the football traffic and that's what delayed you?

If you have no receipts, then I would offer up that they can check the In store shop cameras to show your wife was in shops browsing and buying stuff.

If she paid on card for anything you would have evidence there too.

Reactions: vow

skybluetony176

Just been sent a Parking Charge Notice for parking 16 mins over 2 hours on Tues 18th October, Oxford game.

Syas £60 if paid in 14 days, £100 there after.

Is it an invoice or a fine? It will be in the small print. They're usually invoices masquerading as a fine. Don't feel obliged to pay it if it is. Google it, I'm sure there's advice out there as a lot of time they carry zero jurisdiction and even things like signs being the correct size, the lettering being the correct size and wording and placement of the sign's can matter.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

So you can spend £50 and if you keep the receipt you are exempt from a fine. But cameras don't know that. You'll still receive a ticket in the post and have to send it all off to have them write it off, that is if they don't conveniently lose it at their offices. What an absolute pain in the arse. Shan't be bothering with that.

westendboy

Is it an invoice or a fine? It will be in the small print. They're usually invoices masquerading as a fine. Don't feel obliged to pay it if it is. Google it, I'm sure there's advice out there as a lot of time they carry zero jurisdiction and even things like signs being the correct size, the lettering being the correct size and wording and placement of the sign's can matter.

hi my wife received one of these, the letter states it is a charge ! i can't find any mention of a fine.

Gaz71

I have sent a letter saying I'm not paying the invoice as I was stuck in traffic getting out and have sent an appeal to POPLA who have asked for any other evidence, I have told them I don't keep my receipts from shopping but they can get the info from my club card if really necessary, just waiting to hear back.

chiefdave

I would advise speaking to the manager up at the shopping centre as well as responding to the parking company. Apparently there have been lots of complaints from genuine shoppers and they have been getting some of the charges cancelled. If you just say you were up there shopping and got stuck in football traffic getting out they might cancel it.

vow

Is it an invoice or a fine?
I'm unsure as there is no mention of an invoice or fine just "Parking Charge Notice"
Your missus should have receipts while you were at the game shouldn't she?
Unfortunately, we didn't keep the receipts on this occasion.
Useful link for citizens advice
Thanks Tony, I just checked on the CAB site and it said to check 2 other websites wether or not "Park Watch" were members of parking Associations and they are not registered on there. Even though it says they are members of BPA (British Parking Assoc.) on the Parking Charge letter.
CAB's advice is to contact Action Fraud and report them if they aren't members of BPA or IPC (International Parking Community).

Gaz71

I'm unsure as there is no mention of an invoice or fine just "Parking Charge Notice"

Thanks Tony, I just checked on the CAB site and it said to check 2 other websites wether or not "Park Watch" were members of parking Associations and they are not registered on there. Even though it says they are members of BPA (British Parking Assoc.) on the Parking Charge letter.
CAB's advice is to contact Action Fraud and report them if they aren't members of BPA or IPC (International Parking Community).

I also checked and couldn't see them on the sites although they use there badge on there letterhead, I went on Martin Lewis money saving expert site and there is a decent template letter to use and lots of other advice vow

skybluetony176

I also checked and couldn't see them on the sites although they use there badge on there letterhead, I went on Martin Lewis money saving expert site and there is a decent template letter to use and lots of other advice vow

Sounds like a good idea. A mate of mine got one last year, did some digging, found the smallest error on their behalf and they let it go. They have to cross every t and dot every i to the latter of the law. I get the impression that it ain't worth their while fighting anybody who disputes it as long as there are enough people who will just pay it.

wingy

Conspiracy theory hat on here.
Could there be an inter company arrangement between these guys and that Ricoh outfit.
Seems odd that after 11yrs they decide to enforce restrictions that have been in place previously.

Paxman II

They can not force you to pay. You just have to keep your cool and keep ignoring the request. Eventually they will stop. You can ask them to cease and desist if the letters keep coming but best policy is one of total ignorance.

MickM

They can not force you to pay. You just have to keep your cool and keep ignoring the request. Eventually they will stop. You can ask them to cease and desist if the letters keep coming but best policy is one of total ignorance.
I agree with this you just have to hold your nerve

idm1975

We got the charge too. But we did go into tesco after the game and spend over £50 in there, replied with copies of the receipts and have not heard from back from them yet.
I agree with wingy it all stinks to me. Double car park C charges and then at the same time enforce something which has always been the case, it's a bit of a coincidence.

Grendel

They are registered on the BPA site - they trade as Park Watch

Paxman II

Can you not reply to the charge and say the owner of the car no longer lives at this address?
No. You should not engage with them. Treat them with the contempt they deserve.
Imagine if you will....A private company wants you to prove you spent time and money shopping at the store? Now if I asked you how many times you had sex in a week you would be offended right? Use that analogy here. There is no law in the land requiring you release information to a private company unless you volunteer it. Ignore them. They will persist and badger in the hope you will collapse and pay up. Eventually their cost will outweigh their attempts at 'recovery' and they will stop. In this scenario they use it as a deterrent to stop people misusing the car parking.
Last year I parked in a Maplin car park operated by a private company. They photo Id my car and sent me a charge. Cut a long story short I simply ignored the threats of 'legal action' again and again each time they stupidly said it was the 'last' warning before court action. Simply not true. Eventually they gave up.
The upshot of all this though is the Tesco car park is not for the stadium use is it? It's a bit of a cheek to park there tbh. Now if they introduced a cover charge to football fans and allowed it on match days for say £5 would you do it? I would so why don't they? Not very enterprising of them is it? they would rather tick you off and frighten you into paying a so called 'fine'. They should be ashamed of themselves. Blame though should also be apportioned to the dumb ass council, the owners of the Ricoh and in some part the football club. Nothing new there then huh?

Don't know why I bother

Sorry but a recent court case has given these parking companies teeth. In the past I would of ignored them but not now. They can take you to court and you could end up with a CCJ against your name. Don't say you haven't been warned

ricohroar

Imagine if you will....A private company wants you to prove you spent time and money shopping at the store? Now if I asked you how many times you had sex in a week you would be offended right? Use that analogy here. There is no law in the land requiring you release information to a private company unless you volunteer it. Ignore them. They will persist and badger in the hope you will collapse and pay up. Eventually their cost will outweigh their attempts at 'recovery' and they will stop. In this scenario they use it as a deterrent to stop people misusing the car parking.
Last year I parked in a Maplin car park operated by a private company. They photo Id my car and sent me a charge. Cut a long story short I simply ignored the threats of 'legal action' again and again each time they stupidly said it was the 'last' warning before court action. Simply not true. Eventually they gave up.
The upshot of all this though is the Tesco car park is not for the stadium use is it? It's a bit of a cheek to park there tbh. Now if they introduced a cover charge to football fans and allowed it on match days for say £5 would you do it? I would so why don't they? Not very enterprising of them is it? they would rather tick you off and frighten you into paying a so called 'fine'. They should be ashamed of themselves. Blame though should also be apportioned to the dumb ass council, the owners of the Ricoh and in some part the football club. Nothing new there then huh?

In short using the formula 6/52

Nick

Administrator

Surely if the private company has been hired to manage the stores car park they can ask that, if you were parked there?

vow

They are registered on the BPA site - they trade as Park Watch
They come under "Defence-Systems Limited t/as Park Watch" on the BPA site after re-checking.

Last edited:

Paxman II

Surely if the private company has been hired to manage the stores car park they can ask that, if you were parked there?
They can ask but you are under no obligation to answer. No legal grounds to ask. Can I ask you how many times you had sex this week? I can ask but you are not required to answer.
Can you imagine the ambiguity of it all? I spent 50p on a newspaper so I shopped in your store? I intended to shop in your store but did not? Can you think of any court hearing hypothetically where a ruling would be in their favour? My Lords we are bringing this prosecution because the defendant failed to shop in store or failed to spend enough? It's a none starter and why there is no legal grounds in the first place.
Fixed penalty notices are different supported by law.

Grendel

They can ask but you are under no obligation to answer. No legal grounds to ask. Can I ask you how many times you had sex this week? I can ask but you are not required to answer.
Can you imagine the ambiguity of it all? I spent 50p on a newspaper so I shopped in your store? I intended to shop in your store but did not? Can you think of any court hearing hypothetically where a ruling would be in their favour? My Lords we are bringing this prosecution because the defendant failed to shop in store or failed to spend enough? It's a none starter and why there is no legal grounds in the first place.
Fixed penalty notices are different supported by law.

You are wrong. Last year a precedent was set when a company took an individual to court - the individual argued his £85 fine was disproportionate but the judge argued that the contract was valid as the person had knowingly entered into it by parking there.

skybluejelly

Like a said earlier in the thread a cunningly placed mud splatter .. I have parked there every home game .. yet to receive a fine .. ( touch wood)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robbiekeane

Just ignore it completely and hold your nerve. Throw the letters away don't read too much into them.

They will have all sorts of scary chequered borders on them impersonating some kind of authority, mention "debt recovery agencies" - not to be confused with the debt collectors who come following a court order to take away your possessions.

I've had two ignored them both times and they've left me alone

Users who are viewing this thread