Tesco parking (4 Viewers)

Grendel

Conspiracy theory hat on here.
Could there be an inter company arrangement between these guys and that Ricoh outfit.
Seems odd that after 11yrs they decide to enforce restrictions that have been in place previously.

I agree. I wonder if you'd get one after parking at a wasps game?

Gosford Green

You are wrong. Last year a precedent was set when a company took an individual to court - the individual argued his £85 fine was disproportionate but the judge argued that the contract was valid as the person had knowingly entered into it by parking there.

It is still an invoice that they are are sending you not a fine however they try to word it. Only government departments local or otherwise can send you a fine or PCN.
You might have to pay it as by entering their land you implied a contract arrangement by parking your car there. They can only take you to a county court, its not like a council parking fine which if you do not pay it the full powers of the state are swiftly bought to bear.

I have had 4 and not paid one despite their derisory fear attempts, but not since that case mentioned above which I hear has been a game changer.

Paxman II

You are wrong. Last year a precedent was set when a company took an individual to court - the individual argued his £85 fine was disproportionate but the judge argued that the contract was valid as the person had knowingly entered into it by parking there.

There will have been some circumstances around that Grendel to have resulted in such an outcome. Did he ignore them or did he correspond with them and therefore admit charge? I suspect the latter.

Grendel

There will have been some circumstances around that Grendel to have resulted in such an outcome. Did he ignore them or did he correspond with them and therefore admit charge? I suspect the latter.

No it is clear even on the CAB site that if the company decides to take court action and the individual cannot provide a satisfactory reason for not complying with the regulations they are almost certainly likely to be find liable

wingy

I think it shows a lack of goodwill on the part of Tesco who must recognise there's a fair number of City fans who are their customers
Maybe make them aware as CCFC fans trade could be taken elsewhere.
It is still an invoice that they are are sending you not a fine however they try to word it. Only government departments local or otherwise can send you a fine or PCN.
You might have to pay it as by entering their land you implied a contract arrangement by parking your car there. They can only take you to a county court, its not like a council parking fine which if you do not pay it the full powers of the state are swiftly bought to bear.

I have had 4 and not paid one despite their derisory fear attempts, but not since that case mentioned above which I hear has been a game changer.
Ah, so people have been hit in previous seasons.
I hadn't been aware of that.
Still seems more common currently though.

Gosford Green

I think it shows a lack of goodwill on the part of Tesco who must recognise there's a fair number of City fans who are their customers
Maybe make them aware as CCFC fans trade could be taken elsewhere.

Ah, so people have been hit in previous seasons.
I hadn't been aware of that.
Still seems more common currently though.

Sorry I was a bit vague there. I am in the haulage business, I have managed 4 of these so called parking fines around the country, never had one at the Tesco by the Ricoh.

Tom's Dad

Just checked the Ricoh web site. They are charging £10.20 in car parks A & B for rugger matches but no mention of car park C. Do they actually use it?

skybluegnome

Just spoken to someone who didn't realise there was a match at the Ricoh today, made the mistake of thinking they could drive into shopping area and out again, only to fend up in queues of Rugby oyks waiting to get out too..so I guess they also use the car park on a match day...as others have asked, I wonder if they will get 'payment notices'.

idm1975

Just spoken to someone who didn't realise there was a match at the Ricoh today, made the mistake of thinking they could drive into shopping area and out again, only to fend up in queues of Rugby oyks waiting to get out too..so I guess they also use the car park on a match day...as others have asked, I wonder if they will get 'payment notices'.
Prob no notices or staff at the car park!

Paxman II

Lets put it like this;
The penalty notice is a fine and comes from official bodies like police or council. Failure to comply will result in you ending up in court but you have a right to appeal the ticket and provide evidence to try and get it quashed.
The private style charge notice is actually an invoice from a private company. Like any invoice you don't pay you could be taken to court for it. The private company rarely do this as the cost outweighs the process. Sometimes they might and then unless you prove the charge/invoice was excessive you may be forced to pay. However companies are reluctant to take this route as their 'invoice' is always 'excessive' by nature and their win ratio is poor plus they have cost.
Never admit liability and ignore them and hold your nerve, the probability is the threats will eventually stop. If you get an actual court summons then fight it and tell them you aim to prove the charge/invoice excessive and there are so many ways to fight them on technicalities too they may have got wrong and in all likelihood did.
I hate these people and I hate that the DVLA aides and abets them.

Don't know why I bother

They rarely did in the past because it was untested but it's all changed now. To lodge a bid for a CCJ does not cost very much. By all means if you think you have a valid case then fight it but be warned they will go for you

ceetee

Lets put it like this;
The penalty notice is a fine and comes from official bodies like police or council. Failure to comply will result in you ending up in court but you have a right to appeal the ticket and provide evidence to try and get it quashed.
The private style charge notice is actually an invoice from a private company. Like any invoice you don't pay you could be taken to court for it. The private company rarely do this as the cost outweighs the process. Sometimes they might and then unless you prove the charge/invoice was excessive you may be forced to pay. However companies are reluctant to take this route as their 'invoice' is always 'excessive' by nature and their win ratio is poor plus they have cost.
Never admit liability and ignore them and hold your nerve, the probability is the threats will eventually stop. If you get an actual court summons then fight it and tell them you aim to prove the charge/invoice excessive and there are so many ways to fight them on technicalities too they may have got wrong and in all likelihood did.
I agree with everything you say except that it is a private car park and, having warned you off, you can't really complain if you ignore the warning and they take action.

Whether it is common sense to build a carpark next to a stadium and then stop people from using it is another issue. They should charge you for using it in a way that allows you to get your money back if you do business with any of the shops

Grendel

Lets put it like this;

I think your advice is woefully misleading.

I don't think a case has been lost since the landmark judgement in 2015.

You are advising people to play Russian roulette against a CCJ

Frankley

Lets put it like this;

In fact, this element of your statement is grossly misleading.

If a council issues you a parking penalty charge notice (PCN) it will be because parking enforcement in that local authority area has been decriminalised. The PCN fine constitutes a civil debt - they'll be no summons to court at all. Indeed, the only possible court action will be the registration of the fine debt with the court and an a subsequent application for a warrant to permit 'bailiffs' to try and collect the debt.

I know about this stuff and it's pretty clear to me that you actually don't know what you're talking about. Why don't you give it a rest before you provide some 'advice' that results in some poor sucker getting a CCJ.

letsallsingtogether

Thing is you can park in Tesco and get away with it problem is you have to get there just before kick off and leave on time therefore not triggering the 2 hour limit.
Rugby fans can do that even better as the game is only 80 minutes long.

Nick

Administrator
Plenty of other places about to park anyway if you don't mind a few minutes walk!

wingy

Plenty of other places about to park anyway if you don't mind a few minutes walk!
There are £4 quid typically and no issues finding space on current crowds and when it was busy a little walk away from the ground in the general direction home helped with the getaway.

skybluesam66

Thing is you can park in Tesco and get away with it problem is you have to get there just before kick off and leave on time therefore not triggering the 2 hour limit.
Rugby fans can do that even better as the game is only 80 minutes long.
you actually get a free 10 minutes before you are fined
so if you park at say 7 minutes to - you have until around 3 minutes past until you are in trouble - just about doable

letsallsingtogether

You can park at the builders merchants on bedlam lane think it's a fiver.
The getaway from there is great probably home before some even get out of tescos

italiahorse

Are those the parking restrictions that are only in place when more than 10K are expected?

They are supposed to be but the signs are updated regardless . Only once this season have the signs not been updated for matches known to be under10,000.
If you read into the original planning application for the stadium a lot of conditions are being ignored.
Another one is that all cars parking at the stadium should be refused entry if carrying less than 3 passengers.
Not sure how that is managed now the parking is self service.

Frankley

I think they get around it by putting ccfc fixtures up :(

According to CCC's website the aim of the Ricoh Arena Residents' Parking Scheme is:

"...to make sure there are no parking problems on major event days, where more than 10,000 people are expected at the Arena."

The implication of the above is that the scheme should not be being operated when less than 10,000 people are expected. Of course, there is no information on the web about how it is determined whether more than 10,000 people are expected (does an individual at the council just guess, does the council ask ACL how many people are expected, does it ask the club).

All of the legal particulars about the scheme should be shown in the Traffic Regulation Order for it (a legal document drafted by CCC). The Traffic Regulation Order for the scheme doesn't seem to be available on-line, if someone was particularly interested they could make a FOI request to get a copy of the Traffic Regulation Order. Personally, I suspect it might make interesting reading as I have a feeling that the scheme is being operated beyond the parameters set.

Regards enforcement of parking restrictions at Tesco, something that hasn't been mentioned yet is the possibility of a planning restriction. It might be that parking in the shopping centre's car park is subject to some timelimit as a result of planning constraint (the intention of which was to force motorists to use the Arena's car park that was owned by...).

chiefdave

If you read into the original planning application for the stadium a lot of conditions are being ignored.
In the travel plan theres a bit where CCC state the railway station, complete with special matchday services, will be open within 12 months of the stadium opening at the latest and that until it is open a bus service will be provided.

Users who are viewing this thread