Things you miss most about the 'old' Coventry? (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

Used to be a regular in the cellar bar of the Tally Ho. Great times really, whenever you went in there would be people you knew in there. <snip>l
That name sounds familiar, where was it?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Used to be a regular in the cellar bar of the Tally Ho. Great times really, whenever you went in there would be people you knew in there. Sometimes someone with a guitar would start playing, getting everyone singing (making a noise anyway) :) Even if you decided to hit a few different pubs, it would be the start of the crawl
Snap OSB! I had a motorbike accident back in '69 and it made a small bit of news in the "Stop Press" of the Telegraph. I went down into the cellar bar that night to see all my old drinking buddies and they almost turned white! Chinese whispers had changed the story. Apparently I was killed after a head on smash and they were all gathered to have a drink in my memory! What a night THAT ended up as! :drool:

olderskyblue

Snap OSB! I had a motorbike accident back in '69 and it made a small bit of news in the "Stop Press" of the Telegraph. I went down into the cellar bar that night to see all my old drinking buddies and they almost turned white! Chinese whispers had changed the story. Apparently I was killed after a head on smash and they were all gathered to have a drink in my memory! What a night THAT ended up as! :drool:

It was going well till you turned up houch :-;

Malaka

Always fancied going to my own wake, I don't think anyone would be there LOL

olderskyblue

Actually, reminds me of a mate of a mate when I was 18 or so... He also had a motorcycle accident, and was "killed". He woke up on a slab in the morgue. Surprised quite a few people that did..

ccfctommy

It's ghastly, you will think I'm making this up but I'm not,

I had to meet some overseas guests at the motor museum. I parked in the open car park by the swimming pool. I was approached by some heroine addled creature begging for money.

After showing round the muses I decided to go for a drink, I went in a pub that is mock Tudor - was the Tally Ho? It was shit. In the pub I was propositioned for sex by someone who looked about 80 and weighed 80 stone. She wanted cash and asked to go to the Brittania hotel - I told her to fuck off.

Going back to the car park by the pay machine another beggar

We don't let overseas visitors book in coventry. It's dire.
Beggars are a big problem here, especially in that car park. What was the pub out of interest?

no_loyalty

Back in the day Gosford street was great for a pub crawl, are there any pubs left there now?

dutchman

Back in the day Gosford street was great for a pub crawl, are there any pubs left there now?

Just the two, the Colin Campbell and the Royal Oak or whatever they call themselves these days.

It wasn't just the pubs which disappeared from Gosford Street there was an incredible choice of cafés too!

Last edited:
Remember a good old pub crawl into town from Earlsdon - start off at Wally's, the Earlsdon Cottage, then the Royal Oak followed by the City Arms. Up Earlsdon Ave Nth to the Clarence then into Chapelfields to trawl down Craven Street through the Chestnut and 3 others (two of which were next door to each other, I think). Out of Craven St into Allesley Old Rd int the Black Bull (I think, almost opposite Hearsall Lane). Stagger on to the Old Dyers Arms followed by the Summerfield Tavern and the Hen & Chickens on Queens Road. Then into town ……. or not!

dutchman

Remember a good old pub crawl into town from Earlsdon - start off at Wally's, the Earlsdon Cottage, then the Royal Oak followed by the City Arms. Up Earlsdon Ave Nth to the Clarence then into Chapelfields to trawl down Craven Street through the Chestnut and 3 others (two of which were next door to each other, I think).

The Hearsall Inn and The Coombe Abbey Inn.

Out of Craven St into Allesley Old Rd int the Black Bull (I think, almost opposite Hearsall Lane).

"Black Horse"

martcov

Remember a good old pub crawl into town from Earlsdon - start off at Wally's, the Earlsdon Cottage, then the Royal Oak followed by the City Arms. Up Earlsdon Ave Nth to the Clarence then into Chapelfields to trawl down Craven Street through the Chestnut and 3 others (two of which were next door to each other, I think). Out of Craven St into Allesley Old Rd int the Black Bull (I think, almost opposite Hearsall Lane). Stagger on to the Old Dyers Arms followed by the Summerfield Tavern and the Hen & Chickens on Queens Road. Then into town ……. or not!

Never could have completed that... tried a few times though...

Users who are viewing this thread