Vinyl Records (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

I've got a decent vinyl collection a mixture of albums and 45's. Anyway I thought I'd flog a few unwanted one's as I wouldn't miss them.But surprised at how little they sell for, peanuts in fact. No matter how good condition their in or the artist you're lucky to get more than a couple of quid an album. You hear of certain L.P's going for a fortune but how do you know you're not getting ripped off ? I've got Sex Pistols 45's that I thought would be nuggets of gold,but as yet still gathering dust ! I thought vinyl was back in business ?

clint van damme

I've got a decent vinyl collection a mixture of albums and 45's. Anyway I thought I'd flog a few unwanted one's as I wouldn't miss them.But surprised at how little they sell for, peanuts in fact. No matter how good condition their in or the artist you're lucky to get more than a couple of quid an album. You hear of certain L.P's going for a fortune but how do you know you're not getting ripped off ? I've got Sex Pistols 45's that I thought would be nuggets of gold,but as yet still gathering dust ! I thought vinyl was back in business ?

Think there is an optimum time to sell. Some of my old punk vinyls that were worth a few quid have massively decreased in value.
I think their time may come again so worth holding onto BBR. Be a nice keepsake to hand on to your kids as well.

Monners

We have recently gone back to vinyl only in our house - God they sound so much better than cd's.

The kids are a bit bemused, and of course this could be utter bollocks.

Happy to take any new wave, post punk stuff off your hands BBR (also if you have Black Sabbath's Heaven and Hell album - can't find it anywhere)

bringbackrattles

I went down the record stall in Cov market as they buy vinyl. 18 albums an eclectic mix of rock,and pop, he gave me ten quid for the lot ! So I'll probably go online now and see what they offer etc. But the lad on the stall did say if he was me I should hold on to my classic rock stuff,as when they're gone I may regret selling them,as they're a part of your life etc. He has a point as they do bring back memories. But a few quid would still be nice !

torchomatic

I've bought vinyl constantly since 1978. I've never smoked or drank so basically all my money went on records. I have many thousands. I buy and sell on Discogs.com so i suggest looking there to see what they're worth. Some are not as rare as you would imagine but then you have something tht can be worth loads. I did go through a CD phase but never tired of vinyl.

Discogs gets a lot of traffic and their fees are a lot more reasonable than eBay. It's not an auction site either so you price the record for the price you want to receive. Factor in fees (Discogs, paypal) and postage.

An example was a record by The Men on Virgin called I Don't Depend On You. It was actually the Human League in 1979 under a different name. At the time i bought both the single and the twelve inch. The single is now worth £100. Haven't played it in years. I'll leave it for my son to sell when I've gone to the record shop in the sky.

bringbackrattles

I've bought vinyl constantly since 1978. I've never smoked or drank so basically all my money went on records. I have many thousands. I buy and sell on Discogs.com so i suggest looking there to see what they're worth. Some are not as rare as you would imagine but then you have something tht can be worth loads. I did go through a CD phase but never tired of vinyl.

Discogs gets a lot of traffic and their fees are a lot more reasonable than eBay. It's not an auction site either so you price the record for the price you want to receive. Factor in fees (Discogs, paypal) and postage.
Thanks for that will check it out. Sometimes you just want to know the price etc ? No disrespect to the record stall as they want to make money,but a Bowie album he bought off me yesterday for peanuts,he'll flog for at least £15.00/20.00 but that's business. A chap in the pub told me some of my collection is worth a bit so be careful if selling,he may be spot on.

torchomatic

Thanks for that will check it out. Sometimes you just want to know the price etc ? No disrespect to the record stall as they want to make money,but a Bowie album he bought off me yesterday for peanuts,he'll flog for at least £15.00/20.00 but that's business. A chap in the pub told me some of my collection is worth a bit so be careful if selling,he may be spot on.

Well on Discogs once you register you can see how much the record has been sold for previously. If ten others are selling the same record you can price accordingly. A quick sale or maybe more long term. Make sure you get the condition spot on. Also you can charge more if all other items for sale are outside the UK. I tend only to buy from UK sellers so don't mind paying a bit more.

Because I'm in and out of hospital I've taken all my items down but my account is still up there.

duffer

Interesting isn't it - I've got loads of CDs and they've got no intrinsic value to me at all. If they get lost or scratched, I just get another if I miss listening to them, otherwise I don't bother at all.

The few vinyl records I've got though, they're properly precious for some reason (and not financially, they're worth sod all). It's like there's a bond with vinyl. Maybe it's that it's a bit of a ritual, setting up and playing a vinyl record. Or maybe it's the chemicals that the plastic gives off.... :)

To this day my mate bitterly regrets getting shot of his vinyl collection twenty-plus years ago, it's like selling a bit of his personal history I guess. Everyone's different obviously, but it might be worth thinking about if you're considering flogging yours, perhaps...

torchomatic

I've played a couple of records since I've been out of hospital, but I've not really had the energy to dig through crates of records to play a certain thing, so I've been streaming a lot from Spotify since I've been home. I like the way you can stream to external speakers - I have three Panasonic Wifi speakers. One in the living room, kitchen and dining room. You can stream to one or all three at once/ Sometimes when the wife is out I stream to all three so I can get the same track in every room I go in. Technology is brilliant.

torchomatic

To this day my mate bitterly regrets getting shot of his vinyl collection twenty-plus years ago, it's like selling a bit of his personal history I guess. Everyone's different obviously, but it might be worth thinking about if you're considering flogging yours, perhaps...

Yeah, I know how he feels. I've done it. In 2003 we were getting money for the deposit for our house, so I sold off all my pretty massive collection of Northern Soul singles. Being a scooter/moddy boy since the late seventies i had collected a lot of mod revival and northern singles. I made a lot of money - around three grand - but wish I had kept some of them now. Ah well, you live and learn.

bringbackrattles

Off thread a bit but is there one album you would never sell ? Myself I couldn't get rid of Paranoid by Sabbath.
Not only is it a great album but it is just iconic.:)

Monners

Off thread a bit but is there one album you would never sell ? Myself I couldn't get rid of Paranoid by Sabbath.
Not only is it a great album but it is just iconic.:)
My Canadian import of Boy by U2 - different album cover to the well known one. My wife's would be George Best by te Wedding Present - such an iconic album cover that we have it on our wall in a frame.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Stone roses lp & pixies doolittle.......both scratched to fuck & the covers have had more built on them than the tories plan for the green belt.....but they are a keepsake....a link to the past.....its like hugging ex lovers & lost friends.....

...who needs facebook when you've got old vinyl & blurry memories.

bringbackrattles

Off thread again but what are your favourite sleeve covers ? My three tops are: Marillion's- Script For A Jester's Tear.U2's- Under A Blood Red Sky.Captain Beefheart's- Trout Mask Replica. Some album sleeves are works of art.

eastwoodsdustman

Off thread again but what are your favourite sleeve covers ? My three tops are: Marillion's- Script For A Jester's Tear.U2's- Under A Blood Red Sky.Captain Beefheart's- Trout Mask Replica. Some album sleeves are works of art.

I'd say George Best by the wedding present, Low Life by New order (the one with the greaseproof paper) Bummed by the Mondays are my 3 favourites. As a young office junior I went and got Bummed from the record shop in Leamington, got back to work and took the inner sleeve out in front of my then MILF manager:shamefullyembarrased:.
You'll know why I was embarrassed if you have the album.

Reactions: vow

bringbackrattles

I'd say George Best by the wedding present, Low Life by New order (the one with the greaseproof paper) Bummed by the Mondays are my 3 favourites. As a young office junior I went and got Bummed from the record shop in Leamington, got back to work and took the inner sleeve out in front of my then MILF manager:shamefullyembarrased:.
I'll go check it out !

Bernie Rhodes Nose

I purchased 6 vinyl record frames from Art Vinyl and every month I change the display (I have never stopped buying vinyl). These frames are flip frames so theres no hassle taking them out of the frame. Last christmas I had christmas albums from Louie Armstrong Phil Spector etc hanging up in the house, simple decorations. In terms of sleeve covers one of my favourite is The Jimi Hendrix Experience Electric LadyLand, purely aesthetic reasons (Unfortunately, my wife suggests otherwise). At the moment I have the Flying Lotus, Rico, Robert Glasper/ Miles Davis, Gregory Porter and Soul 2 Soul Vol 2. No point hiding these beautiful covers in a record case.

vow

Just googled it...........shouldn't have!
Built for comfort rather than speed is all I can say.

Flying Fokker

I'm house clearing a relatives home.

300 DVDs
1800 CDs Most classical.
400 33rpm. Jazz, folk classical
350 classical 78rpm

Just skipped 1000 recorded vhs. And 600 cassettes.

I think he should have collected something else.

Last edited:

Gazolba

I still have my entire vinyl collection (LPs, EPs and 45s) but I must admit I rarely listen to them now; it's just so much easier to get on Youtube.
Some of them are pretty rare, but not rarities there would be a big demand for. Rita Pavone anyone?
I have my ex-wife's collection, which was mostly movie soundtracks and Broadway show albums.
I also have a huge collection of cassette tapes but I've noticed the tapes seem to deteriorate in quality. Lots of them now play poorly.

mrtrench

I sold my old punk singles several years ago. Some went for quite a lot and others not, I guess it depends on what they are. Mostly it was the early singles from popular bands such as Joy Division; Dead or Alive and the Cure and obscure bands that sold well (Menace for example). The one I got the most for was a cassette of local band the Wild Boys from when they played at the Cov Theatre in a play (Risky City). Anything that reached the charts seemed worthless and so I still have them. Similarly, albums didn't appear to sell well.

torchomatic

I sold my old punk singles several years ago. Some went for quite a lot and others not, I guess it depends on what they are. Mostly it was the early singles from popular bands such as Joy Division; Dead or Alive and the Cure and obscure bands that sold well (Menace for example). The one I got the most for was a cassette of local band the Wild Boys from when they played at the Cov Theatre in a play (Risky City). Anything that reached the charts seemed worthless and so I still have them. Similarly, albums didn't appear to sell well.

We went to see that play when i was at school. Must have been around 1981? The Wild Boys were playing in the foyet I seem to remember. Had the cassette too but lost it years ago.

mrtrench

We went to see that play when i was at school. Must have been around 1981? The Wild Boys were playing in the foyet I seem to remember. Had the cassette too but lost it years ago.

Too bad you lost it - I had three Japanese buyers fighting over it on ebay. I was surprised they'd even heard of the Wild Boys and asked the winner - he replied that he'd heard them fron the Sent from Coventry album.

81 was the year I left Cov in the autumn - so it's possible it was that summer.

torchomatic

Too bad you lost it - I had three Japanese buyers fighting over it on ebay. I was surprised they'd even heard of the Wild Boys and asked the winner - he replied that he'd heard them fron the Sent from Coventry album.

81 was the year I left Cov in the autumn - so it's possible it was that summer.

Yeah, I've sold some stuff to Jap buyers before. They love early 80s and twee, jingle jangle. Remember selling a Mighty Mighty 12" on Ebay for £120 to someone in Japan. The Sent From Cov albums were good, plus the Sound of Leamington Spa ones too covering Woodbine and John Rivers.

mrtrench

Yeah, I've sold some stuff to Jap buyers before. They love early 80s and twee, jingle jangle. Remember selling a Mighty Mighty 12" on Ebay for £120 to someone in Japan. The Sent From Cov albums were good, plus the Sound of Leamington Spa ones too covering Woodbine and John Rivers.

Was lucky enough to go to Tokyo on work several years ago. It's a fantastic place; however the expectations on working hours are obscene. I left the office around 8pm and was one of the first to go. My wife & daughter came with me and had a great time. We went to Hakone one weekend and stayed in a ryokan; it was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life.

bringbackrattles

I still have my entire vinyl collection (LPs, EPs and 45s) but I must admit I rarely listen to them now; it's just so much easier to get on Youtube.
Some of them are pretty rare, but not rarities there would be a big demand for. Rita Pavone anyone?
I have my ex-wife's collection, which was mostly movie soundtracks and Broadway show albums.
I also have a huge collection of cassette tapes but I've noticed the tapes seem to deteriorate in quality. Lots of them now play poorly.
That last line sounds like a summary of Coventry City !

bringbackrattles

The lad at the market record stall said they have had a few rarities there on vinyl. He recalled a chap stopping to have a browse,and he was on holiday here from America.He got excited seeing an album by a band called Earth. It was on display at the back of the stall and priced at £350.00 as it was rare.The tourist went away and came back with the cash and went off saying it had made his holiday ! It cheered up the stall owners too as it had been gathering dust for months !

chiefdave

Has anyone seen this new Beatles thing? Its one of those partworks you get at newsagents but each issue comes with a Beatles album on vinyl.

Interesting idea and not too badly priced. Single albums £9.99 and double / triple albums £24.99.

Users who are viewing this thread