Vinyl Records (1 Viewer)

duffer

Yeah, I've sold some stuff to Jap buyers before. They love early 80s and twee, jingle jangle. Remember selling a Mighty Mighty 12" on Ebay for £120 to someone in Japan. The Sent From Cov albums were good, plus the Sound of Leamington Spa ones too covering Woodbine and John Rivers.

There was a 'Sound of Leamington Spa'? Was it like the rustling of net curtains, gentle tutting, and from somewhere downstairs the noise of the butler polishing the silverware. :)

(Sorry mate, but now you're getting better the gloves can come back off!)

torchomatic

Has anyone seen this new Beatles thing? Its one of those partworks you get at newsagents but each issue comes with a Beatles album on vinyl.

Interesting idea and not too badly priced. Single albums £9.99 and double / triple albums £24.99.

Yeah they did a jazz series of albums last year. Bought a couple I didn't have and a replacement copy of a couple more as my copies were in poor condition. It's a great idea. Still a bit pricey though.

Johnnythespider

The lad at the market record stall said they have had a few rarities there on vinyl. He recalled a chap stopping to have a browse,and he was on holiday here from America.He got excited seeing an album by a band called Earth. It was on display at the back of the stall and priced at £350.00 as it was rare.The tourist went away and came back with the cash and went off saying it had made his holiday ! It cheered up the stall owners too as it had been gathering dust for months !
The thing I take from this story is that an American came to coventry on holiday

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
When I met my current missus, she had a small collection of mint condition singles by a band called "John's Children". From my day's in Hits and Misses Records, I knew they were the band that Marc Bolan was in before he went on to form Tyrannosaurus Rex (later just T. Rex). Somehow, her brother got hold of them and flogged them for pennies! They'd be worth a small fortune by now! :emoji_cry:

Gazolba

Here's a sampling of my LP collection. I picked a few at random.
LP-Albums-resized.jpg

torchomatic

I bought a couple of MP3 LPs today, both had vinyl option, 1 was 26 quid!!

Cost of new records is ridiculous. I wanted a Buzzcocks compilation that came out for Record Store Day. £53! I can live without it.

torchomatic

Here's a sampling of my LP collection. I picked a few at random.
View attachment 6705

That inspired me to get off my arse and dig out some vinyl and play it no matter what it what I chose. I went to a random shelf of records and plucked 12 random records to play. I'll post a picture of what I picked when I worked out how to do it. I said to myself I would play it whatever and I have so far, though it's taking longer than I thought. Still, wife is happy enough as I keep telling her as I'm going back in the clink on Tuesday so I should be allowed to enjoy my last two days of freedom!

dancers lance

I've got a decent vinyl collection a mixture of albums and 45's. Anyway I thought I'd flog a few unwanted one's as I wouldn't miss them.But surprised at how little they sell for, peanuts in fact. No matter how good condition their in or the artist you're lucky to get more than a couple of quid an album. You hear of certain L.P's going for a fortune but how do you know you're not getting ripped off ? I've got Sex Pistols 45's that I thought would be nuggets of gold,but as yet still gathering dust ! I thought vinyl was back in business ?
New vinyl is way over priced and unfortunately most used vinyl does not command a great price unless it is a rare/sought after. Having been a DJ for years I have collected some white label/pre-release/dj promo's and many of these are now worth quite a few quid especially as many of them have different mixes on them that were never released to the public (however even many of these are only worth a few quid). I also have a few printed on acetate that are classed as test pressings, these are worth a bit as they can only be played a limited amount of times as they are only about 0.5mm thick and very soft.

dancers lance

If anyone has a copy of “That’ll Be The Day/In Spite Of All The Danger” by The Quarrymen I will give you a lovely crisp £50.00 note for it!

torchomatic

torchomatic

The Coral singles is a triple album so it's taking me a while to get through these.
How much do you want for the socks? :happy: Some nice stuff there :headphone:

You can have them. They are day of the week socks and they say...Tuesday. You only get what you see though.

dancers lance

I just found some and IMG_3635.JPG IMG_3636.JPG I have no idea what they are? I may be having a Vinyl Session Sunday! I used to put a little slip of paper in the cover but I didn't for these?
The second photo is one of the feedback forms you would get sent with a promo copy from the record label. (interesting choice of feedback scale)
IMG_3635.JPG IMG_3636.JPG

dancers lance

:rolleyes: Not sure what happened with doubling up of the pictures and splitting my text? Is it beer o'clock yet?

dancers lance

The Coral singles is a triple album so it's taking me a while to get through these.

You can have them. They are day of the week socks and they say...Tuesday. You only get what you see though.
I'm always surprised when people say they have never heard of Love? In my personal opinion, "Alone Again Or" is a masterpiece.

torchomatic

The only one of those I have is the Love 'Forever Changes' album. In fact, I have all of Love's albums. Truly great band.

Yeah, me too. I also plucked out Da Capo but that will be one of my "random" records for tomorrow.

torchomatic

The only one of those I have is the Love 'Forever Changes' album. In fact, I have all of Love's albums. Truly great band.

Yeah, I know. Mention Arthur Lee and most people say "Who?" Weird. They are missing out on so much brilliant music.

torchomatic

I remember a Michael Head interview from around 1982 when I first got into the Pale Fountains. He said his greatest influences were Burt Bacharach and Arthur Lee from Love. That's when I first went looking for this mysterious band called Love.

dancers lance

torchomatic

You have me scuppered! If you can find a copy It's worth at least £100k probably closer to £200k now!

I'll have a look for you next time I'm in Oxfam in Warwick.

dancers lance

I remember a Michael Head interview from around 1982 when I first got into the Pale Fountains. He said his greatest influences were Burt Bacharach and Arthur Lee from Love. That's when I first went looking for this mysterious band called Love.
I'll have a look for you next time I'm in Oxfam in Warwick.
Deal!

dancers lance

I just read that they toured with Love in the late 90's that must have been amazing for him.

torchomatic

I just read that they toured with Love in the late 90's that must have been amazing for him.

Yeah, Shack were their backing band. I saw a couple of the dates. I have a live CD somewhere.

The Fountains and Shack used to play A House Is Not A Motel at most live gigs.

dancers lance

Yeah, Shack were their backing band. I saw a couple of the dates. I have a live CD somewhere.

The Fountains and Shack used to play A House Is Not A Motel at most live gigs.
I would be very interested in hearing that if you could find it and could rip it to mp3?

torchomatic

Yeah, I'll dig it out. They weren't brilliant concerts music wise. Mick Head was stoned and Lee going through the motions a little in small venues, but a good experience. Not as good as when Lee appeared at Glastonbury.

dancers lance

Yeah, I'll dig it out. They weren't brilliant concerts music wise. Mick Head was stoned and Lee going through the motions a little in small venues, but a good experience. Not as good as when Lee appeared at Glastonbury.
I was at Glasto in 2003/2004 but I'm afraid they weren't on my radar at that time, which is a shame.

torchomatic

I was at Glasto in 2003/2004 but I'm afraid they weren't on my radar at that time, which is a shame.

I've never been. Sorry sounded like I had. I just saw Arthur Lee on the tele when he was there. Great set and he sounded fantastic and was really enjoying the experience.

dancers lance

I've never been. Sorry sounded like I had. I just saw Arthur Lee on the tele when he was there. Great set and he sounded fantastic and was really enjoying the experience.
I have been loads of times and I'm going again this year (after telling everyone I wouldn't because it is not the same anymore) but I tend to stay away from the main stages unless It's someone I really want to see, my best times at Glastonbury have been seeing bands on the smaller stages/tents, searching out interesting sounding stuff or just happening across things whilst wandering.

Users who are viewing this thread