Why do you hate the Villa? (3 Viewers)

Adge

When you are old as me it still gets to my craw! Working in the car industry in the 70s and 80s a lot of work colleagues commuted from Birmingham and Leicester and needless to say mainly villa supporters and the bastards used to wind us city supporters relentlessly for years and it didn't help with big Cyril scoring for villa to send us down either. memories are long
Cyril scored but we didn't go down-managed to survive as Notts County were playing Luton I think. One thing I do remember from that day though was a load of us got tickets in the Holte as Cov tickets were all gone. Just before ko a load of meat heads chased us onto the pitch and we had to run the full length into the safety of the Cov fans. That was after tripping over a St Johns ambulance stretcher at the side of the pitch!

jackdg

Hate the Villa as I went to school on the other side of Aston park, our school cross-country route used to go past the Trinity Road end so I'd stop every year and piss on the stands (and catch my breath). In a school of 700 I was the only City fan... I remember I took one hell of a beating the Monday after 'that' 4-1

Gazolba

Got into a conversation with the Mrs earlier about why I hate the Villa and also why all cov fans also hate them.

<snip>

What's your reason?

<snip>
I don't hate them or any other team. Hate eats away at your soul. I occasionally hate a player who deliberately fouls and injures an opponent or a referee who makes a stupid decision.

Sky Blue Kid

My hate was Wolves. Had some bad run ins with them. Still got the scar from a bicycle chain on my right thumb in a big scrap between us and them in the "West End" How the fook they were let into our end in those days, only God knows.

WestEndAgro

Still singing about a lucky European Cup win over 30 years ago, Claret and Blue look vile together, stupid accents, history of attacking shirters, scruffy fuckers,etc etc etc.

matesx

Isn't it a bit puerile for grown men to hate another football team?

Particularly pathetic when i see middle aged blokes spewing expletive filled rants with contorted faces. Just don't get it.

I suppose i get more satisfaction out of beating a certain team over others but that's about it.

Its about Cov beating anybody for me!

Monners

Cyril scored but we didn't go down-managed to survive as Notts County were playing Luton I think. One thing I do remember from that day though was a load of us got tickets in the Holte as Cov tickets were all gone. Just before ko a load of meat heads chased us onto the pitch and we had to run the full length into the safety of the Cov fans. That was after tripping over a St Johns ambulance stretcher at the side of the pitch!
Remember it the same - I think I may have helped you into the away stand. Didn't a couple of lads get a good kicking though.

torchomatic

I don't. Can't see what all the fuss is about .

Covstu

Don't hate them and cringe when we sing shut on the villa when we are playing chesterfield or Scunthorpe! I think football fans need a rival which I don't have an issue with but I wouldn't say hate.

rondog1973

I hate their kit. And I've known am inordinate amount of dickheads who have supported Villa. But any hate for the club is just left over from when we were in the Prem.

Couldnt care less about Leicester really, it was quite sweet to be working there when they won the league. Their happy little faces. I think the hatred of them is a younger thing.
It most certainly isn't!

I started attending Cov matches without parental supervision in the mid 80's and remember Leicester were pretty despised then. Indeed, I remember giving our current manager dogs abuse from the Main stand touchline as he trundled to the tunnel, sent off in our 1-0 victory over them in 1986.

As for Villa, I think the hatred from my generation of fans was due to a number of factors, such as the Sky Blue Army fanzines constant denigrating of them, Gary Newbon giving them star billing in Central News sports section during the season we were top flight and they were second division. I bought a copy of their fanzine Heroes & Villains too once, and the pomposity of it was vom inducing.

Travs

When I really got the bug for live football it was early to mid 90's and for us, Villa were the main rival. At the schools in Bedworth it was City, Villa, Man Utd or Liverpool. Even then we all knew the Liverpool and Utd fans were a bunch of glory-boys, so it was us and Villa really.

Going away to Villa then was still a scary prospect, especially for a 15 year old, saw my first proper football fight right outside the ground after a match in 96 or 97 (I remember wondering how they could tell each other apart as nobody had colours on!!)

When we beat them in the cup it was quite dodgy outside, and the defeat that sent us down, there was a real feeling beforehand that it was going to be very heavy. It was the first time I heard of City fans going over with no intention of seeing the game, and tales of WBA and Blues firms looking for trouble as well. It was pretty scary after the game, and I guess that day drove the wedge in further.

Of course, the gap between the clubs, a bit of growing up, and probably a bit of apathy, means I don't really hate them nowadays, but I still fucking well hope they get hammered every week.

Never really hated Leicester, I do think it's a younger thing (I'm 34). Dropping down the divisions and coming across Blues and Wolves really made me dislike them, probably as much as Villa. Strange because growing up they weren't even on the radar, neither were Leicester really.

So I suppose I don't really "hate" anyone nowadays.

Leeds and Sheff United can get fucked though...

Sky Blue Kid

Particularly pathetic when i see middle aged blokes spewing expletive filled rants with contorted faces. Just don't get it.

I suppose i get more satisfaction out of beating a certain team over others but that's about it.

The thing that makes me laugh though, is the "Young Guns" flipping the bird and "Nescafe" hand signs to the said "Middle aged bloke" upon which when he walks over to the said "Young Guns" they turn and run.... all 50 of them ;)

skybluedan

Think I used to hate the villa because my older brother used to tell me that they shag there mums there and they were scum

shmmeee

It most certainly isn't!

I started attending Cov matches without parental supervision in the mid 80's and remember Leicester were pretty despised then. Indeed, I remember giving our current manager dogs abuse from the Main stand touchline as he trundled to the tunnel, sent off in our 1-0 victory over them in 1986.

As for Villa, I think the hatred from my generation of fans was due to a number of factors, such as the Sky Blue Army fanzines constant denigrating of them, Gary Newbon giving them star billing in Central News sports section during the season we were top flight and they were second division. I bought a copy of their fanzine Heroes & Villains too once, and the pomposity of it was vom inducing.

Maybe I just missed it then. Leicester were a nothing team when I was growing up (90s) really, it wasn't until later on when O'Neill brought them up, but even then I never heard much hatred of them. For me it seemed to start in the Championship.

ccfcdr

Think it's from an era that only cov and villa were in top flights for yrs and yrs
Personally don't like them but hatred that's reserved for Leicester from late 70s to now l always have always will ......my dad's a 60s man sure he said wolves was the big rivals them days
But it's been a long time since played any so called rivals lol gimme anyone means were in a better league lol

ccfcdr

I was on that corner we congregated in dribs and drabs I got in holte end at 2.30 villa did nothing just pointing at us annd staring one lad even openly wore his cov top until 3 o'clock wen police surrounded us then bit of a surge from them we spilled onto pitch I walked to our end lol was shouting don't give em satisfaction running we did get a nice round of applause from cov fans as I recall the old city aggro song but not a punch thrown

Owen

This past summer I came on a Holliday,(live in America) and I made a stop by Villa park and took this photo.

Attachments

• IMG_2965.JPG
    IMG_2965.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 25

clint van damme

work right next to Villa Park. Work with a few Villa fans and we have the laugh to be honest so don't hate them but like to see them get beat, (except now as I backed them for promotion when they appointed Bruce).
Was probably more anti Villa when I was younger and we were in the top flight together.
I do think supporting Villa if you come from Cov should be a criminal offence though!
Work with some Blues fans as well, absolute cretins.

Wheelfass

it didn't help with big Cyril scoring for villa to send us down either. memories are long
We were 2-nil up at half time on the day we were relegated. 3 second half goals did the damage. Scorers were Vassell, Angel and Merson.
My memory was what seemed like every Villa fan singing "We'll meet again" and then the Birmingham Post and Mail printing a picture of us fans after the final whistle with a headline of "CRY BLUES"

NortonSkyBlue

Can't say I have any particular dislike of Villa, When I first started going the rivalry was Wolves and then Leicester and West Brom. Vlilla were in Div 3 and not on the radar, Blues seldom seemed to be in our league and when they were their fans were very naughty. For me Man United were the team I disliked the most, probably because so many people who supported us at home game were sporting red scarves when they came visiting. That I never understood........

Wheelfass

For me Man United were the team I disliked the most, probably because so many people who supported us at home game were sporting red scarves when they came visiting. That I never understood........
Probably the same people who were wearing Blackburn shirts when they won the league.
I had a friend right back from schooldays who said that his Auntie had a neighbour who once used the same launderette in Belfast as the lady who knew George Best's Mothers hairdresser. That, he said, qualified him to be a Manure supporter.;)

Last edited:

JimmyHillsbeard

I am not that bothered by them. I think the worst thing about them is the dickheads in places like Leamington and Warwick who follow them.

The very reason I hate them. Growing up in Leamington in the 1970s/80s if you went to football you either supported us or the Vile. If you didn't you probably supported Liverpool, Manchester United or Leeds.

Wheelfass

You have the wrong game Adge. The relgation game came at Villa Park in May 2001.

rob9872

I was on that corner we congregated in dribs and drabs I got in holte end at 2.30 villa did nothing just pointing at us annd staring one lad even openly wore his cov top until 3 o'clock wen police surrounded us then bit of a surge from them we spilled onto pitch I walked to our end lol was shouting don't give em satisfaction running we did get a nice round of applause from cov fans as I recall the old city aggro song but not a punch thrown

Bollocks. We were on the side stand at that end and to a man lost our bottle half way through the sky blue song when you all got pushed out and ran to the opposite end. Nobody was walking and they sang "run run city run, city run from the villa". Tbh it was dangerous as fuck and all because stupid Don Howe of the 0-0 told people to go in their end just to get in there. Could gave been a riot but also looked very dangerous when the surge came from behind.

Fwiw I think the Leicester or villa hatred largely depends not just on your era but also on which side of the city you come from. Personally I grew up hating Liverpool more because my bro supported them and they always won, but I quite like them too now and if I had to pick it would be Scumderland for the Bristol game, Jimmy Hill, Gary Bennett and N*cky S*mm*rb**

rob9872

Edit: how could I forget - Adam Johnson too!

tisza

Villa was as much about frustration as anything else. just couldn't seem to beat them.
leicester was reignited around 83/84 when they got into the top of the old West Stand. kicked off and suddenly there were 000s on the pitch. went off all afternoon. return game was moved to an early Sunday kick-off and can't think of many game when I've seen so many police on the wau to a game and around a ground.

clint van damme

Villa was as much about frustration as anything else. just couldn't seem to beat them.
leicester was reignited around 83/84 when they got into the top of the old West Stand. kicked off and suddenly there were 000s on the pitch. went off all afternoon. return game was moved to an early Sunday kick-off and can't think of many game when I've seen so many police on the wau to a game and around a ground.

that day was absolute madness, how the fuck I got home in one piece, albeit with a black eye, I'll never know.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I'm not too arsed about them generally but there was definitely a more bitter rivalry that developed for a couple of years when they signed Dion, George & Hadji....

....I was at Villa park for those 3 big games in 98, 99 & 2001......2 out of 3 ain't bad.....

lifeskyblue

Never hated any football club. Yes enjoyed healthy rivalry with wolves then villa then Leicester...all part of football tribalism. I don't like Leicester more for the way they played (and got away with) their administration issues etc and I dislike clubs such as manure who along with their fans think they have a god given right to laud it over every other club whether they be outside top 4 of premiership or bottom of league two. I despise the way they think lower league clubs are an irrelevance to the state of the game in this country. Mind you I blame Sky for that also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

Maybe I just missed it then. Leicester were a nothing team when I was growing up (90s) really, it wasn't until later on when O'Neill brought them up, but even then I never heard much hatred of them. For me it seemed to start in the Championship.

Funnily enough both Leicester and Villa were relegated from the First Division in 1987 (with Man City). What a great year.

Users who are viewing this thread