Wigan Athletic (Home) Match Thread (5 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Match thread for Wigan Athletic (Home). Discuss Predictions, Tactics and the game!<div style="float:right; text-align:center;"><h2>Wigan Athletic (Home) </h2>
68144-3058.png

Ricoh Arena
3PM Kick Off
</div>

FRY-CCFC

Team:

Burge

Willis Ricketts Johnson Stokes

Vincelot Fleck

JOB Maddison Lameiras

Armstrong

Score: 2-0 City

Bugsy

Personally I would go,

Cook
Rickets. Wills. Reda. Stokes
Vincelot
Obrien. Flecks. Lamerias
Armstrong tudgay

Dependin how we get on 1st half bring maddison on 2nd half

2-1 sky blues . PUSB

ccfc_Tom

I'll go for 2-2 but us to be up 2-0. Reda and Jim with the goals, hoping we get a striker in so we have some sort of target up front.

Kingokings204

Got to be;

Burge

Willis, ricketts, reda, stokes

Fleck vincelot

Maddison, job tudgay

Armstrong

ericagradus

I fancy a 1 - 1.
Predicted line up:

Burge

Vincelot Fleck

Lamires Maddison Armstrong

Tudgay

And hoping for attendance of 12k plus

Last edited:

shmmeee

Cook
Willis Rickets Reda Stokes
Maddison Vincelot Fleck Lamieras
Armstrong Tudgay

Just found out my nan is in hospital after a fall, looks like I'm going to miss this one. Should be a good game. Here's hoping a winger and a striker are added to that by Saturday.

SlowerThanPlatt

Is Lamieras really ready to start a game yet? I got the impression he was impressive at Nuneaton and hasn't shown much since.

matesx

of course he's ready

we dont give players contracts not to play them

tom88

Burge

Vincelot Fleck

JOB Maddison Armstrong

Tudgay

1-0 CCFC after going 1-0 through Reda and being battered for 80 minutes of the game (similar to the MK Dons win last season)

wal3590

Burge
Willis Rickets Johnson Haynes
Vince Fleck
Maddison Lameiras
Armstrong
Tudgay

2-1 win i think.
Would anyone else have Haynes over Stokes?

PTA

Burge
Willis Rickets Johnson Haynes
Vince Fleck
Maddison Lameiras
Armstrong
Tudgay

2-1 win i think.
Would anyone else have Haynes over Stokes?
No, because Stokes can actually defend. Would anyone else have Phillips over Willis at right back?

wal3590

No, because Stokes can actually defend. Would anyone else have Phillips over Willis at right back?
Debateable... Undecided on the Willis one, his distribution scares me to death but seems to have a bit of pace to get him out the sh*t

matesx

9000 crowd so far according to Telegraph

although its pure guesswork

smileycov

Facebook User
i fancy us for this one, suddenly coming together, either 2-0 or 2-1. But defo a win.

matesx

if their best guestimate is 9000 right now i'll down rate my attendance prediction to 11,000

which is shite

SlowerThanPlatt

That article doesn't count match packages as there's no idea how many have been sold but I know a lot of people who have got one

matesx

they say "understood to have sold 2000 match packages"

which translates as "no fucking idea"

smileycov

Facebook User
if their best guestimate is 9000 right now i'll down rate my attendance prediction to 11,000

which is shite

Why you slagging off the "Shite" attendance, before we even know what it is?

tom88

On paper they do have a good squad but 13th and 14th signings - With a manager with no experience this squad will need to gel

I get the same feeling I had when Fulham got relegated to the championship a couple years ago.

Silence_Is_The_Enemy

Is Lamieras really ready to start a game yet? I got the impression he was impressive at Nuneaton and hasn't shown much since.

i felt the same way about maddy leaving last sat, think you can bring him on around 58th min and he'll destroy a tired team but in a straight up game from the start think hes going to get out muscled and out played

footyfrenzy

My preview from my site in my signature with input from a Wigan fan
MstSzPU.jpg

Well finally it's time or the new season to kick off and Coventry face one of last seasons relegate teams in Wigan Athletic who are falling from grace at a rapid rate.

Coventry have added Romain Vincelot from Leyton Orient to beef up the midfield, former Wolves skipper Sam Ricketts who has also been named Coventry Captain, Chris Stokes from Forest Green Rovers who did enough on loan last season to secure a full time contract, Ruben Lamieras a former Tottenham Hotspurs youngster and have secured the loan of Adam Armstrong "The next Alan Shearer" from Newcastle for 6 months. Tony Mowbray hopes to add a further signing and Loan before Saturdays game.

Marcus Tudgay and Reda Johnson both committed by sign 1 year deals.

Starting line-up

Here's how I think the staring XI will be

UAv69hS.jpg

Man in the Middle

The man in charge of the game is Northumberland official Scott Duncan.

This is Scott Duncan's fourth season as a Football League ref following his promotion to the National List at the start of the 2012/13 season.

Coventry City v Wigan Athletic
Referee - SCOTT DUNCAN
Assistants - Mark Jones and Mark Dwyer
Fourth Official - Geoffrey Russell

Thank you to Wildheart from http://thisnorthernsoul.co.uk/forum/index.php for the Wigan Preview

Wigan Athletic, an enigma wrapped in a conundrum.

I have been asked to do a pre-match preview of what to expect from Wigan Athletic this season and despite attending all the pre-season games including two forays into Scotland it is difficult to get into the mind of new manager Gary Caldwell in terms of tactics and line up.

One thing that is for certain is that the team that bowed out of the championship with barely a whimper will be conspicuous by its absence on Saturday with 21 players having left the club since May and 15 arrived with a few stalwarts remaining and a slew of promising youngsters bolstering the squad to around 30.

Indeed based on pre season the only familiar face in the starting line up is likely to be Chris McCann in the unfamiliar role a left sided centre back.

Our very young Chairman has stated that he want us to get 100 points and smash the league and whilst those of us of more mature years roll our eyes at such statements the quality youngsters and seasoned professionals Caldwell has brought in must make us the pre season favourites to go up.

I reckon five players this season will be key to our success

1/ Richard O'Donnell....goalkeeper, last season's player of the year at Walsall turned down Championship offers to sign for the Latics and has looked a good acquisition so far. Commanding in his area and very vocal he looks to be having competition from our old boy (and yours) Chris Kirkland with Lee Nicholls having disappointed in pre season.

2/ Craig Morgan....an imposing Welsh centre half a sweet signing in that we nicked him from under the noses of our country cousins up the road in Bolton at the eleventh hour, Was up against Jordan Rhodes on Saturday and gave the prolific striker nothing. A candidate for the captain's role following the departure of James Perch.

3/ Max Power..... you have to be good with a name like that but the 22 year old central midfielder come winger certainly is, signed from Tranmere Rovers he has the pace and skill to trouble any defence.

4/ Michael Jacobs....... Signed from Wolves the guy had a cracker (sorry) at Blackburn on Saturday creating most of our good football playing off a striker. Hopefully will provide the ammunition for Will Grigg.

5/ Will Grigg.......signed from Brentford the guy scored 20 plus goals for Franchise F.C. last season but needs the quality ball to get the goals, only had one real chance in five pre season games blasting a penalty high over the bar at Dundee. Goalscoring has been a major problem for us for a few years now so it is to be hoped that he finds his shooting boot sooner rather than later.

Tactics...... Caldwell is a student of Roberto Martinez's tippy tappy football which is a delight to watch as it zips around... until we get to the edge of the area and then nothing. Cries of just ******* shoot were heard last week as our total dominance of Rovers in the first half resulted in not a single effort on goal. I have no doubts about the quality of our football but if we don't convert this into goals then we will be turned over by so called inferior teams.

I expect us to line up as a 3-5-2 although last Saturday we lined up as a 3-5-1-1.

The fans...Wigan is a rugby town and the football club has no fans is the tiresome refrain we hear( it isn't and we have) but 1,600 plus tickets have been sold for Saturday and we are not buggers( sadly the inconvenience of my 30th wedding anniversary precludes me from attending as my Stoke City supporting wife isn't sympathetic to my please.

Line up
O'Donnell
Daniels, Morgan (c), McCann
Kenny, Power, Perkins, Junior, James
Jacobs, Grigg

Prediction...... a one all draw, we never win our first game of the season

Users who are viewing this thread