Wigan Athletic (Home) Match Thread (3 Viewers)

Ashdown

I hope many folk are planning to pay on the day because up to date we have 8600 ticket sales including away fans and ST holders. Looking at the online site, there are huge swaths of empty seats apart from in the family blocks and the middle.

kg82

I'll be buying on the day. I think a fair few will, especially if it's a nice day.

letsallsingtogether

I will go for a home win.
We usually win the first home game of the season when I am on holiday and unable to attend.
I will be listening carefully from beach bar, much to the wife's disapproval.

PUSB

pusbccfc

2-0 to Wigan.
11,934 in attendance. 1900 from Wigan.

Covstar

Will be a thrilling first game of the season with us winning 3-2 thanks to a dramatic last minute volley by John fleck from 25 yards out. Armstrong and Reda to score the other two goals.

ccfc92

One more ticket bought added to the 4 already :)

Didn't seem to be too many empty seats, but didn't look extensively...

Juggernaut

Would go with a diamond, no point in playing width as we have no wingers.

Burge; Willis, Ricketts, Reda, Haynes; Vincelot, O'Brien, Fleck, Maddison; Tudgay, Armstrong.

1-3 loss.

covcity4life

Stokes has to start above Haynes. Last season he was getting to byline consistently, has a good cross and also threatens to score goals with his headers. Link up play with strikers not bad either. Defo has to improve vs trickery wingers tho

All that with no preseason with a proper league club? Think stokes could do v well this year personally.

Give Haynes the league cup and jpt to see if he can force hus way in.

stupot07

We've played 4231 all pre season so can't see Mowbray going 2 up top.

With Swanson injured, and I think Stokes had a knock last week, I think it will be

------------Burge
Willis Ricketts Johnson Haynes
------Vincelot--fleck
Job------Maddison----Lameires
-----------Tudguy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

NorthernWisdom

Right, I'm going on here, bored of all the endless repetitive shite.

Will be interesting to see how we set up; are we going to be positive this season, go for goals, or are we more likely to try and scrape the occasional goal and attempt to frustrate the opposition?

Don't think opposition matters first game of the season, we could be playing Chelsea or Chester, it's a clean slate and every team starts with a certain amount of unknown about it.

Personally, I'd rather we aimed to win every game but accepted that the consequence of this might mean we miss out on draws now and again as we push beyond our limits. Am bored of scratching around, and the best (half!) seasons in recent times have been Black's and Pressley's, where at least the teams tried to bloody score. Hell, Robins did the same thinking about it.

Go on Mowbray, have faith and transmit it to the players - I'll forgive you a defeat if I see positive intent.

SkyBlue_Bear83

We've played 4231 all pre season so can't see Mowbray going 2 up top.

With Swanson injured, and I think Stokes had a knock last week, I think it will be

------------Burge
Willis Ricketts Johnson Haynes
------Vincelot--fleck
Job------Maddison----Lameires
-----------Tudguy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Has Armstrong and Tudgay been available at the same time though for most of the preseason?

I've got a feeling Armstrong and Tudgay may both start, with Tudgay being the focal point and Armstrong playing just behind and off him. Got a feeling either Maddison or JOB will be on the bench

stupot07

Has Armstrong and Tudgay been available at the same time though for most of the preseason?

I've got a feeling Armstrong and Tudgay may both start, with Tudgay being the focal point and Armstrong playing just behind and off him. Got a feeling either Maddison or JOB will be on the bench

Not for most of pre-season, no but you would have thought he'd have started them both against Oxford, rather than starting Armstrong and swapping him for Tudguy. JOB and Maddison will start, perhaps he'll shunt Armstrong out on the left and drop Lameires?

I guess we'll see around 2pm tomorrow.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Not for most of pre-season, no but you would have thought he'd have started them both against Oxford, rather than starting Armstrong and swapping him for Tudguy. JOB and Maddison will start, perhaps he'll shunt Armstrong out on the left and drop Lameires?

I guess we'll see around 2pm tomorrow.

It could have just been a case of managing the players minutes, Tudgay had missed the previous week through illness and maybe Mowbray didn't want him to play more than say 20 minutes.

For some reason I just reckon both will start

Philosorapter

After the escape from relegation last year, the change in manager really showed in where we finished. I would agree to build a side will take more then one season, and like any other sport this is going to be result driven, and not didn't we do well after losing 3-0 with a bizarre 10 minutes within the game.

This 11,000 attendance as a break even point is probably the most interesting statistic that has came out pre-season. If the attendance goes above 11,000 then this means 50% of this revenue gets ploughed back into the playing squad. I remember reading (I believe in the Telegraph) Waggot saying something along these lines. Seeing how unsuccessful CCFC has been over the past decade or two, I would say the only people left going to the Ricoh are die hard fans at the moment, and any string of successive wins in the top half of the table or cup runs will lead to higher gates.

The new season starts today, league table and all. This is not going to be a sprint but a marathon and success will be measured in our position within the table. We have a budget from our overlords which people have agreed on as being enough for a top half finish, and add to this the Mowbray factor of a 40% win rate (ish) and the choosing of his own players within this budget should at least make the season interesting.

I am looking forward to this forthcoming season. I see many positives in what could happen. I believe we can only judge the strength of the squad verses other teams after around ten games or so.

The only thing I miss is not being able to listen to local commentary being outside the local area. There must be someway for people to relay this on given the wonders of modern technology.

3-0 to the City by the way.

PUSB

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

Nick/Mark could we possibly unpin this thread? It seems myself and many posters have missed this thread because it's right at the top of the page.

Anyway, 2-0 City today.

Otis

Win, win, win!!!

Very confident TM will have them all fired up and raring to go.

Hopefully fast out of the blocks and an early goal.

Great_Expectations

Based on the formation TM has favoured pre season, coupled with the players available, I think we will line up as below:

Burge

Willis Ricketts Johnson Stokes

Vincelot Fleck

JOB Armstrong Lameries

Tudgay

All things considered, the line up could be worse. Plus we have Maddison as am impact sub available.

The line up also highlights our need for a striker and at least one, but ideally two, wingers.

Users who are viewing this thread