Would you support a breakaway/phoenix club? (1 Viewer)

Would you support a breakaway/phoenix club?

• Total voters

mark82

There has been a lot of talk in many threads on this, so, would you support a phoenix or breakaway club in Coventry that was owned by the fans and gave everyone an equal vote in what happened at the club?

This club would play in Sky Blue, have a name linked to CCFC and play in Coventry.

Last edited:

edgy

Surely you can only support another club if your original one had gone. Basic rules of football support. You can't pick & choose when times are hard.

mark82

Surely you can only support another club if your original one had gone. Basic rules of football support. You can't pick & choose when times are hard.

3000 FC United fans disagree with you.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you myself. Not quite sure where I stand at the moment to be honest.

torchomatic

Nah, not for me.

stupot07

Those who have said they will support a Phoenix club while ccfc temporarily plays away, what happens if they get a new owner and brought back to the Ricoh e.g within 3 years?

mark82

Those who have said they will support a Phoenix club while ccfc temporarily plays away, what happens if they get a new owner and brought back to the Ricoh e.g within 3 years?

This is a good question and I guess each individual would have their own opinion on whether they would go back to CCFC or continue to divide loyalties.

Colin1883

Although I despise sisu/ACL, ccfc are my team... I won't travel to home games but they still my team... Nopm but they are still my team...

mark82

Although I despise sisu/ACL, ccfc are my team... I won't travel to home games but they still my team... Nopm but they are still my team...

CCFC are my team too. Always will be. However, I feel a disconnect at the current time and would happily support a breakaway club if it was done right (ie fan ownership). I would still follow CCFC and attend games when I could if they were in Coventry. Split allegiance if you like but I would see it as 2 different versions of the same club. Same colours, songs, etc. just a different name and different league.

Otis

Hard to answer that poll.

Yes, maybe I could support a breakaway team for 3 years and yes I would support a phoenix club if CCFC were liquidated, and yes, if City permanently moved I would support a breakaway club, but I could never stop supporting the City if they were still in existence and therefore any support for a new club would be in addition to supporting the Sky Blues, not instead of.

Not so sure you can have an either or questions on those scenarios to be honest.

If a phoenix club arose and then the City came back to Coventry after 3 years I would expect some sort of merger / feeder club situation as a result.

This doesn't have to be either or and if City move away and a new club emerges I would probably watch them for 3 years whilst tuning in to the City games on the radio.

See no reason why you can't support both, one as an armchair fan (as thousands already do) and the other as an actual spectator.

Last edited:

mark82

Yes, maybe I could support a breakaway team for 3 years and yes I would support a phoenix club if CCFC were liquidated, and yes, if City permanently moved I would support a breakaway club, but I could never stop supporting the City if they were still in existence and therefore any support for a new club would be in addition to supporting the Sky Blues, not instead of.

Not so sure you should have an either or question on that one to be honest.

If a phoenix club arose and then the City came back to Coventry after 3 years I would expect some sort of merger / feeder club situation as a result.

This doesn't have to be either or and if City move away and a new club emerges I would probably watch them for 3 years whilst tuning in to the City games on the radio.

See no reason why you can't support both, one as an armchair fan (as thousands already do) and the other as an actual spectator.

Pretty much exactly what I would do.

Otis

Can't get the stubborness of a 'not supporting anyone else' if City failed to exist to be honest.

Puzzles me that.

If they're gone they're gone and if you love football and the new club is your local team then they will be the new CCFC.

stupot07

Not so sure you can have an either or questions on those scenarios to be honest.

Yep, the only problem would be it would further dilute the fan base and reduce the likelihood of ccfc or Phoenix becoming properly successful, in fact I think you could pretty much right off ever returning to the PL, you'd end up with 2-3k at Phoenix and 7-8k at ccfc.

mark82

Yep, the only problem would be it would further dilute the fan base and reduce the likelihood of ccfc or Phoenix becoming properly successful, in fact I think you could pretty much right off ever returning to the PL, you'd end up with 2-3k at Phoenix and 7-8k at ccfc.

It could work the other way and reignite crowds. But yes, that is a risk. In terms of returning to the PL, that is a pipe dream anyway until we get a wealthy benefactor or football drastically changes its ways.

stupot07

It could work the other way and reignite crowds. But yes, that is a risk. In terms of returning to the PL, that is a pipe dream anyway until we get a wealthy benefactor or football drastically changes its ways.

We don't need a wealthy benefactor - Swansea and Blackpool managed it without breaking the bank, Leicester on the other hand - their owners have spent £70m since 2010 including funding £15.5m per annum losses are still not good enough for promotion. That £70m was in the form of loan, so they are in £70m debt.

Last edited:

Paxman II

One of your classics O. Sitting atop your fence again I see :)

Paxman II

There can be only one Coventry City Football Club. The one that won promotion in 1967 and stayed in the top flight for 34 years. the one that finally won an FA Cup in one of the best finals ever seen. The one that has sadly found it's way to the lower divisions where it came from but no doubt will rise again as so many have.

Only if the club was gone forever, liquidated, cease to exist, vanished would I then look to support a new club representing Coventry.

mark82

We don't need a wealthy benefactor - Swansea and Blackpool managed it without breaking the bank, Leicester on the other hand - their owners have spent £70m since 2010 including funding £15.5m per annum losses are still not good enough for promotion. That £70m was in the form of loan, so they are in £70m debt.

Good point well made. Blackpool also had small crowds so that is not necessarily a barrier. With a bit of success, and in Coventry, CCFC would get at least 15k crowds even if there was a breakaway club. Certainly if SISU were gone.

mark82

Surprises me the amount that would seemingly be happy to follow the club if they moved permanently outside Coventry. Although maybe I'm reading that wrong and it would just be that people would just not go to either.

dongonzalos

There can be only one Coventry City Football Club. The one that won promotion in 1967 and stayed in the top flight for 34 years. the one that finally won an FA Cup in one of the best finals ever seen. The one that has sadly found it's way to the lower divisions where it came from but no doubt will rise again as so many have.

Only if the club was gone forever, liquidated, cease to exist, vanished would I then look to support a new club representing Coventry.

Yep and during that time and since its existence it has always been in Coventry

Perryccfc

I can't decide. I think it will be a case of waiting to see. If Cov were liquidated I literally don't know what I'd do. They've been the number one team my whole life. I don't know if I'd even have an interest in football in general. Ccfc is my passion. If we were to fold and a Pheonix club linked to Cov were formed I'd probably look out for results etc but a passionate supporter? I can't see it. I'm football mad and even more so Cov mad. No Cov I think would probably mean no football for me.

hill83

Everything about the current situation is annoying me, so there is no chance I'd follow a phoenix club.
I'd just go to more England games and play golf.

dongonzalos

Everything about the current situation is annoying me, so there is no chance I'd follow a phoenix club.
I'd just go to more England games and play golf.

Have to say I am going right off England these days due to your Rooney's Cole's Terry's

SkyBlueUkeman

Then you can support Cov again too?

Support who and as many clubs you want and don't let others tell you otherwise.

Otis

Isn't that the same as what I'm saying? :whistle:

I would still support the City but would probably go up and watch the new team. Only would become a true supporter of such if CCFC no longer existed.

jesus-wept

just a thought. Nuneaton Town (Borough) are in dire straights financialy i think their ground is for sale. They are a league below the FL is an amalgamation with them an option which could put us within one division of division 2 pump money in to secure immediate promotion, change name to Coventry something play for free at the Ricoh, just a thought but a better option than re=starting a number of divisions below

Flying Fokker

This has been mentioned before. Why would Nuneaton fans even consider it? Just cause we are losing our home doesn't mean they should.

NorthernWisdom

I do wish people would stop suggesting that, it just shows blinkered self-interest and no thought for fellow football fans.

What right does anybody have to dare suggest our city should steal someone else's team?!?

ccfctommy

just a thought. Nuneaton Town (Borough) are in dire straights financialy i think their ground is for sale. They are a league below the FL is an amalgamation with them an option which could put us within one division of division 2 pump money in to secure immediate promotion, change name to Coventry something play for free at the Ricoh, just a thought but a better option than re=starting a number of divisions below
you want us to do an MK Dons then?

Users who are viewing this thread