Match Thread ⚽️ Coventry City vs Hull City Match Thread - Saturday 11th Mar (2 Viewers)

Hertsccfc

Not saying anyone was at fault really but Doyle wasn't touch tight and allowed him to turn good finish though.
The last thing you need in that position is for your defender to go diving in. You can't really legislate for the striker producing that kind of finish.

Hobo

Didn't we have a blatant penalty in the first half turned down as well
My initial reaction was a penalty. But can understand if the ref saw it in a different way? Contact and foul play are different things. Howleys first touch let ball get away from him and it was going more towards corner flag than goal. So we were not robbed of a goalscoring opportunity. I think ref thought it was two players legs getting tangled up as they ran rather than a deliberate foul? Howley sort of cut across their player. Sometimes you get them, somtimes you dont. Both ref and linesman were well positioned and a lot closer than me.

Sky Blue Pete

My initial reaction was a penalty. But can understand if the ref saw it in a different way? Contact and foul play are different things. Howleys first touch let ball get away from him and it was going more towards corner flag than goal. So we were not robbed of a goalscoring opportunity. I think ref thought it was two players legs getting tangled up as they ran rather than a deliberate foul? Howley sort of cut across their player. Sometimes you get them, somtimes you dont. Both ref and linesman were well positioned and a lot closer than me.
Foul anywhere else on the pitch

Hertsccfc

It looked a really clear penalty at the time but I haven't seen any replay of it.

Hobo

Not saying anyone was at fault really but Doyle wasn't touch tight and allowed him to turn good finish though.

Touch tight isn't always the best option for a defender. Attacker knows where you are and it is easy to get rolled as they turn on the ball.

I just thought it was really good footwork by their player to shift the ball and a great finish. Lets face it if our player had scored it we wouldn't be analysing the oppositions poor defending?

Hertsccfc

Touch tight isn't always the best option for a defender. Attacker knows where you are and it is easy to get rolled as they turn on the ball.

I just thought it was really good footwork by their player to shift the ball and a great finish. Lets face it if our player had scored it we wouldn't be analysing the oppositions poor defending?
Absolutely. You don't want the defender to commit themselves in that position. If te score from that position you have to accept it is a good goal. Diving in is the last thing the defender should do.

Tommo1993

Feels like people are ignoring the offside thing. He wasn’t in this case, but would’ve been without the Howley touch which is why we weren’t tighter on him. Before the goal they fell into the trap pretty much every time.

stupot07

Feels like people are ignoring the offside thing. He wasn’t in this case, but would’ve been without the Howley touch which is why we weren’t tighter on him. Before the goal they fell into the trap pretty much every time.
TBF, he wouldn't have been offside, because the ball was not being played into the striker, it was going inside to their player who'd dropped into the 10 position.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
e820b37e589d4aee6616597b5ecb6262.jpg

Tommo1993

TBF, he wouldn't have been offside, because the ball was not being played into the striker, it was going inside to their player who'd dropped into the 10 position.

e820b37e589d4aee6616597b5ecb6262.jpg

If Oscar receives that ball directly, he’s offside. Howley’s touch played him on, the highlighted player has no involvement.

olderskyblue

God you’re banging on about this a bit aren’t you? If you’re that concerned about Howley not getting encouragement just find out where he lives & go round
I didn’t realise you were the arbiter of who can say what on this forum…. can you post a list of your rules I have to follow?

ps. Do you have his address?

blunted

I think Howley and Burroughs are going to be good players for us over the next few seasons if they stay injury free. They are both big and mobile with good football skills. Thought today they both made one crucial mistake each, which is what you get from young players. Howley's interception played their guy in for the goal, although it was a great strike. Burroughs lost the ball needlessly in the right back position late on, and fortunately, we got away with it. Probably why we won't make the playoffs with all the injuries, having to rely on untested kids, although I would never say never. Our pen shout was up to the linesman, as it was almost impossible to see from the refs angle. Oggy said afterwards it was outside the box, and Howley fell in the box?

clint van damme

I think Howley and Burroughs are going to be good players for us over the next few seasons if they stay injury free. They are both big and mobile with good football skills. Thought today they both made one crucial mistake each, which is what you get from young players. Howley's interception played their guy in for the goal, although it was a great strike. Burroughs lost the ball needlessly in the right back position late on, and fortunately, we got away with it. Probably why we won't make the playoffs with all the injuries, having to rely on untested kids, although I would never say never. Our pen shout was up to the linesman, as it was almost impossible to see from the refs angle. Oggy said afterwards it was outside the box, and Howley fell in the box?

I agree, though thought Burroughs struggled a bit yesterday when he came on, but as you say you expect that with young players.
Great to see them and Eccles coming through.

Como

I watched the penalty claim a few times and all I can say is if it had been given against us I would have been very unhappy.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Looking at that it should never be handball anyway. The law is nuts on the issue.
But I think more needs to be made of the effect it has. Even if a player handles accidentally but it stops an attack or chance being created, then that needs to be reflected in the decision.

Accidental handballs in the area it would be harsh to give a pen, but too lenient to just let it go. So indirect free kick.

fatso

It's great that we have some young players coming through and providing competition and cover.
Eccles, Burroughs and Howley could save us a fortune when the squad gets overhauled in the summer, and given another pre season of coaching could really see them kick on.

Otis

But I think more needs to be made of the effect it has. Even if a player handles accidentally but it stops an attack or chance being created, then that needs to be reflected in the decision.

Accidental handballs in the area it would be harsh to give a pen, but too lenient to just let it go. So indirect free kick.
Yes. I just think the concept of "accidental" has got a bit lost in all of this.

Last edited:

stupot07

If Oscar receives that ball directly, he’s offside. Howley’s touch played him on, the highlighted player has no involvement.
You are right that if the player had been passing to Oscar he would have been offside, but in the instance of that goal, the pass wasn't going to him, it was being played inside to the man in the 10. It was Howleys touch that diverted the pass into Oscar.

shmmeee

You are right that if the player had been passing to Oscar he would have been offside, but in the instance of that goal, the pass wasn't going to him, it was being played inside to the man in the 10. It was Howleys touch that diverted the pass into Oscar.

Still don’t see how Oscar wasn’t in play when the ball was played TBH

Users who are viewing this thread