Match Thread ⚽️ Coventry City vs Watford Match Thread - Monday 10th Apr (2 Viewers)

Matt smith

Well no it’s just clear that missing O’Hare, Palmer and Allen is too much for this group. Forcing us to go lighter in midfield which means we see less of the ball and are relying on about 3 players to be on form to get a result.

Two seasons on the spin we should have made the top 6 and we’ll miss out because the previous owners had given up on the club. Cash in on Gyo this summer and use the proceeds to build a proper squad
Losing you’re 3 attacking midfielders would affect any team to be honest but I get the point

Gyokeres needs a big performance Saturday

if we’d have just got that winner yesterday

but it’s only 3 points and Millwall have Preston

Brighton Sky Blue

Losing you’re 3 attacking midfielders would affect any team to be honest but I get the point

Gyokeres needs a big performance Saturday

if we’d have just got that winner yesterday

but it’s only 3 points and Millwall have Preston

Well our defence also fell to pieces after the World Cup simply because McF was injured. The squad being too lacking in Championship standard players is why we’ll ultimately miss out twice in a row whereas Luton, with no standout players to speak of, will make it.

pusbccfc

Well no it’s just clear that missing O’Hare, Palmer and Allen is too much for this group. Forcing us to go lighter in midfield which means we see less of the ball and are relying on about 3 players to be on form to get a result.

Two seasons on the spin we should have made the top 6 and we’ll miss out because the previous owners had given up on the club. Cash in on Gyo this summer and use the proceeds to build a proper squad

The January transfer window for two seasons running has been a mess.

Doug King does not spare any of the criticism either. He was announced on the 10th Jan. He had 3 weeks to invest in either additional loan players. Others in the division added attacking players whereas we brought in two full backs.

shmmeee

Doug King does not spare any of the criticism either. He was announced on the 10th Jan. He had 3 weeks to invest in either additional loan players. Others in the division added attacking players whereas we brought in two full backs.

And an AM and a CB.

stupot07

And an AM and a CB.
Having had a bit of a look at Maguires career it looks as though he has predominantly played as a striker, and rarely played as an AM. So he was even through in as a square peg for a round hole.

Even Robins describes him as a striker

Manager Mark Robins said:

“We’re very pleased to welcome Sean to Coventry City.

“He is an experienced striker at this level, who has a number of qualities that will help us between now and the end of the season.

“He can hold up the ball well and is adept at bringing others into play.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Having had a bit of a look at Maguires career it looks as though he has predominantly played as a striker, and rarely played as an AM. So he was even through in as a square peg for a round hole.

Doesn’t matter what his shape is when he’s not getting out the toy box TBF.

NorthernWisdom

And an AM and a CB.
Yeah, although the AM does seem a bit like a body, any body once we realised we actually had some kind of cash again.

That being said, we ended up with a CB (success) and two wing backs (I'd say they've been neither success nor failure, but have done a job in the squad - others will differ) and an AM who's been a failure. It seems a reasonable January recruitment tbh, it's never a good time to sign, and the CB has probably helped us get higher than we would otherwise have been, we'd have been thrashing around with the dead men otherwise, leaking goals all over the place.

stupot07

Doesn’t matter what his shape is when he’s not getting out the toy box TBF.
Very true, but I think the point still stands we play with 2 attacking midfielders, only had Allen and Palmer fit at the time, and we didn't bring an attacking midfielder in, we brought a CB, 2x Wingbacks and a striker.

Frostie

Even Robins describes him as a striker

Manager Mark Robins said:

“We’re very pleased to welcome Sean to Coventry City.

“He is an experienced striker at this level, who has a number of qualities that will help us between now and the end of the season.

“He can hold up the ball well and is adept at bringing others into play.

Yes. He was signed to cover the injury crisis when Gyok was our only fit striker.

Grendel

Yeah, although the AM does seem a bit like a body, any body once we realised we actually had some kind of cash again.

That being said, we ended up with a CB (success) and two wing backs (I'd say they've been neither success nor failure, but have done a job in the squad - others will differ) and an AM who's been a failure. It seems a reasonable January recruitment tbh, it's never a good time to sign, and the CB has probably helped us get higher than we would otherwise have been, we'd have been thrashing around with the dead men otherwise, leaking goals all over the place.
Given we’d been taken over and had some chance of top six you’d have expected better

People get very sensitive about the wing backs but reality is they’ve added nothing - it’s irrelevant where they are in years to come they didn’t hit the ground running

Maguire it seems we aren’t even paying much of his wages

They were all probably funded by the outgoing players so it is pretty poor

We knew o hare and Kelly were injured and Allen playing every game was a risk.

Top six points total will be lower than normal - lame effort by the club

shmmeee

One thing that gives me hope is that all the experts on here said last season we’d blown a once in a lifetime opportunity as the league was so poor. We’re inches away, I’d expect us to get there next season. You can’t bitch about January spending really when the recruitment team was brand new and a big rebuild likely in the future.

Evo1883

One thing that gives me hope is that all the experts on here said last season we’d blown a once in a lifetime opportunity as the league was so poor. We’re inches away, I’d expect us to get there next season. You can’t bitch about January spending really when the recruitment team was brand new and a big rebuild likely in the future.
The league will be better next season , we will struggle ( volume 6)

Grendel

The clubs coming down will almost certainly be challenging for top 3 and it could be 70 points or less to get into top 6 this season.

Grendel

Who else is paying his wages if not us?

The Preston forum suggests that the club agreed to pay up the majority his contract so he could use the opportunity to trial in a new club

Skybluedownunder

He did end up buying SISU out for the remaining 15%

Maybe his money was tied up doing that.

Hard to suggest what his thoughts were but we did also just change our scout team at the time too. Maybe he just thought stick as opposed to twist and reassess when he’s had more time, albeit he had been announced that it was with the EFL wayyyyy before so he did have time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

covcity4life

Notice robins said both JWE and BNC had excellent games.

Their haters always say it's telling when robins leaves them out but I guess MR is irrelevant when he picks them and praises them

LOL

Grendel

Notice robins said both JWE and BNC had excellent games.

Their haters always say it's telling when robins leaves them out but I guess MR is irrelevant when he picks them and praises them

LOL

I thought he said Godden had an excellent game and Esbrand had a good second half.

Grendel

“Brooke [Norton-Cuffy] and Josh [Wilson-Esbrand] had really good games, so that’s fantastic.”

Not excellent then - how did you think they played?

Users who are viewing this thread