Match Thread ⚽️ Rotherham United vs Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 18th Feb (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Pretty sure Fadz came over to the touchline and gave him the armband before he came on against Millwall

Don’t think so. Not sure you could do that anyway if you mean literally before he came on.

shmmeee

Yep when the board was up and he was waiting for Hamer to come off

Ah right, for some reason thought you meant he handed to him while we were waiting for play to stop. Maybe, I don’t remember it.

Looking at the after match footage Fadz was still wearing the armband tho:

It’sabatch87

Last on the football league show, and no positive comments just on how unlucky Rotherham were……Fook em.
Never liked Jamie Mackie anyway, near enough crying about QPR.
The money they’ve spunked over the years on players!!

EalingSB

Solid performance today. What a difference Mc Fadz makes at the back. Without him every throw in, corner, free kick around the box I was genuinely worried we'd concede. Mc Nally in there as well has been great so far and it seems to have given Doyle more confidence to get back on the ball and play out a bit more. Eccles starting to become more prominent in that midfield role also which is great. Norton cuffy coming into his own as well.
Pretty sure he looked up in which case it was another superb ball from Doyle, right on the edge of our box, to free Gyōkeres who missed a great chance. Not always been the biggest fan of Doyle defensively but he has loads of talent and has played some cracking passes.

Everyone should just enjoy an excellent away win and save the petty squabbles until we next lose. The only stat that matters is Rotherham 0-2 Coventry.

slowpoke

I reckon Doyle would make a bloody good left sided midfielder, deceptively pacy, good on the ball going forward, good distribution, not sure he has the qualities to be the type top defender his parent club Man.City would want. Wonder if City would sell him and how much for.

ptr

I reckon Doyle would make a bloody good left sided midfielder, deceptively pacy, good on the ball going forward, good distribution, not sure he has the qualities to be the type top defender his parent club Man.City would want. Wonder if City would sell him and how much for.

Deceptively pacy? Absolutely not. One of his only downfalls but will be the reason he doesn’t make it at Man City.

slowpoke

Don’t agree pace isn’t just about doing a 100meters in 10 seconds, his speed of recovery and brain is a strength.

Speedies_Chips

Pace? I can’t believe someone of his age can be so slow. He won’t be playing in the Premier League because of this. Will be a good championship player I should think.

pusbccfc

No, but he'd be a very good central defensive midfielder.

slowpoke

Dross first half but very professional performance in the second! BNC getting better every game and fans were class, top away day - PUSB
I think BNC has showed us the last couple of games what a good player he could become.
Pace? I can’t believe someone of his age can be so slow. He won’t be playing in the Premier League because of this. Will be a good championship player I should think.
He is very different to Dabo turns up in midfield at times too. I like him, wonder how cheap he could be, doubt he will get in the Arsenal first team squad.

slowpoke

Did you ever see Bobby Moore play ? Supposedly our best ever cb, or more recently John Terry.

Finham

Last on the football league show, and no positive comments just on how unlucky Rotherham were……Fook em.
Most times that Mackie is on I have to turn it off, useless little twerp. Their coverage is worse than Quest's and they're so far up Vincent Kompany's Burnley's arse that they're turning claret.

robbiekeane

@robbiekeane

Did you swerve the second half? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I bloody did I went straight to sleep at the half time whistle in a sulk cause it was 2:45am, and how dare they put in a boring performance when I’m up so late watching the game in bed in a pitch black hotel room on the iPad trying not to wake the missus up or fall asleep 😂

Looking forward to watching second half later

Sky Blue Pete

Nice commons from the anchor and yok got a positive mention. Their manager was still smarting from the goal

Legia Sky Blue

Robins said it was a push on someone and Palmer was making a pushing gesture to the ref after.

I'm pretty sure it was for a pre planned block on Bidwell who had been marking Hugill, and which then allowed him a free run to the back post unmarked. Stroud was positioned right in front of it so got a perfect view. That said refs don't normally spot those or view the tussling as both ways and let it go, so in that sense we were a little fortunate. We would have probably been upset if it was given against us.

On the game as a whole, I thought we started really slowly and relied on a very strong defensive display and their lack of guile. We played better in the 2nd half and picked them off a fair few times that could have led to a more comfortable victory. We will have to play much better next week to get a result, but in being at home and for a higher profile game I am confident the team will do so.

The Philosopher

I have to be honest having rewatched it a number of times I still don’t see the foul
I’m with you on that one.

They had a triangle of 3 players together and the one furthest back peeled off left to head in. The two in front were marked and possibly prevented our defenders from tracking the runner when the ball came in.

Possibly Wilson was held a little.

It was a soft foul at best.

That said, who should have picked up the runner / scorer? There was a gap in our defence there.

This is where we miss Sheaf - a bit of height to pull back for set pieces. Gus and Allen and to a degree Eccles and even Palmer aren’t really what you need in set plays against teams with a load of big fellas.

As a result we bring Gyok back - who is the best breakaway striker in the division who you’d want ideally stood centre circle for corners.

I hope our recruiting department has a little think about this next window.

Tell me I’m wrong?

Brighton Sky Blue

I’m with you on that one.

They had a triangle of 3 players together and the one furthest back peeled off left to head in. The two in front were marked and possibly prevented our defenders from tracking the runner when the ball came in.

Possibly Wilson was held a little.

It was a soft foul at best.

That said, who should have picked up the runner / scorer? There was a gap in our defence there.

This is where we miss Sheaf - a bit of height to pull back for set pieces. Gus and Allen and to a degree Eccles and even Palmer aren’t really what you need in set plays against teams with a load of big fellas.

As a result we bring Gyok back - who is the best breakaway striker in the division who you’d want ideally stood centre circle for corners.

I hope our recruiting department has a little think about this next window.

Tell me I’m wrong?

I liked it when we left more players up which also draws more opposition players back out. There is no point having players who can’t challenge in the air anyway defending a corner.

As for yesterday it simply looked like we’d switched off and allowed a soft goal from a ball into the box. Which we should have done later in the half with Hugill wasting a free header.

covcity4life

Most times that Mackie is on I have to turn it off, useless little twerp. Their coverage is worse than Quest's and they're so far up Vincent Kompany's Burnley's arse that they're turning claret.
They have analysed covs last 2 games before tonight. Quest was great and itv is pretty much same. Don't need to complain about every little thing in life.

The Philosopher

I liked it when we left more players up which also draws more opposition players back out. There is no point having players who can’t challenge in the air anyway defending a corner.

As for yesterday it simply looked like we’d switched off and allowed a soft goal from a ball into the box. Which we should have done later in the half with Hugill wasting a free header.
Again, it’s something I said before and I agree.

2 players in centre circle when we defend a set piece means that they need to keep at least 2 back and therefore have 2 less on the attack.

So who would we put in the centre circle? A hold up player and a paceman I suppose?

Gyok is handy in defence though, Gus might be short but is a great interception player from his days as a defender, Palmer maybe, Allen - no pace really and not great at getting past people, Eccles? No - not really. Godden was in the bench.

It feels like I’m bashing Allen again when I say this but in todays game we do need height or pace.

Brighton Sky Blue

Again, it’s something I said before and I agree.

2 players in centre circle when we defend a set piece means that they need to keep at least 2 back and therefore have 2 less on the attack.

So who would we put in the centre circle? A hold up player and a paceman I suppose?

Gyok is handy in defence though, Gus might be short but is a great interception player from his days as a defender, Palmer maybe, Allen - no pace really and not great at getting past people, Eccles? No - not really. Godden was in the bench.

It feels like I’m bashing Allen again when I say this but in todays game we do need height or pace.

Leave Gyo up, then one or ideally two midfield players to set up a counter. Then for defending the corner you can still have one player on each post and 5 or 6 to contest the ball in, but who have a realistic chance of winning the header

The Philosopher

Leave Gyo up, then one or ideally two midfield players to set up a counter. Then for defending the corner you can still have one player on each post and 5 or 6 to contest the ball in, but who have a realistic chance of winning the header
Two on the posts (need to be tall else what’s the point?) then six who need to have à realistic chance of winning the header.

That’s 8 players with aerial ability required out of the 10 outfielders and out of the 10, 1, Gyok, left up to break.

I’m not disagreeing with you in any way, it’s just difficult to allocate midfielders to defensive duty if they don’t have the ability or natural physical attributes. The result is having to bring Gyok back to defend.

O’Hare and Hamer are brilliant players, and we can afford to have both of those on the pitch at the same time, but looking at our start of season squad with the likes of Kane, Allen etc. it left us short (literally) in defending set plays unless we have Sheaf / Burroughs in midfield and / or BNC / Panzo as WBs to cover the big attackers.

I think opposing managers have spotted this and hence try the long throws and direct rather than short corners against us.

Any stat chaps on here know our ratio of XG XYZLGBT or whatever for goals / chances conceded aerial set play?

Anyway, the odd small player is fine but FFS not a whole panto cast of them.

Users who are viewing this thread