Adam Johnson (2 Viewers)

Otis

Nope. He should have just come clean and admitted it straight away. Could have plea-bargained. Still obviously would have gone to prison, but he did deny it all at first didn't he if I remember rightly.

And what 15 yr old girl is not going to blag to her mates about getting off with her hero!

wingy

To think Labour under Blair were considering reducing the age of consent to 14 about ten years ago.

henry the wasp

If he had admitted it 8 or so months ago when he was charged, he would have been sacked straight away. He's had an extra 8 months+ of wages out of Sunderland.

Otis

If he had admitted it 8 or so months ago when he was charged, he would have been sacked straight away. He's had an extra 8 months+ of wages out of Sunderland.

Well yep, but if he had shown honesty and come clean, it would be better for him in the long run and for everyone else too.

Always better to admit to any mistake rather than lie about it. Isn't that what we all teach our children?

He should have come out, held his hands up and apologised for letting everyone down. I'm sure there's loads of other young Sunderland fans who idolised him too.

henry the wasp

Well yep, but if he had shown honesty and come clean, it would be better for him in the long run and for everyone else too.

Always better to admit to any mistake rather than lie about it. Isn't that what we all teach our children?

He should have come out, held his hands up and apologised for letting everyone down. I'm sure there's loads of other young Sunderland fans who idolised him too.

I'm not saying he was right to do this. I'm just saying he would have been advised by some highly paid lawyers to do this.
He can hardly say he made a mistake. He groomed her over a number of weeks. His actions were predatory.

Otis

He did make a mistake though. He got himself enticed by and entangled with a young fan. Would very much say he made a mistake.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Otis

Yep, just a question of semantics I think.

What sort of sentence will he get? 2-4 years?

SkyBlue_Bear83

I think what Henry means when he says it wasn't a mistake is that Johnson seemed to know full well what he was doing from the start. Its not like a split second lapse of judgement, it was planned in the full knowledge of her age and he had plenty of time to cut off contact and not take it any further if he felt it was a mistake.

Sick Boy

To think Labour under Blair were considering reducing the age of consent to 14 about ten years ago.

It is sensible if there are restrictions that state they are only a year or two apart. Works like that in plenty of countries. You're naive if you think teenagers don't sleep with each other under 16

Otis

It is sensible if there are restrictions that state they are only a year or two apart. Works like that in plenty of countries. You're naive if you think teenagers don't sleep with each other under 16
They certainly do and they talk about all the time as 11 yr olds too. I should know, my daughter is 11.

Luckily for me she is a bit naïve and also one of the youngest in the class, but I check her WhatsApp messages and used to check her Instagram (stopped her using that as soon as I realised the recommended age is 13). The stuff her friends talk about is rather worrying and I've had my daughter's best friend come round here flirting with me and flashing me.

Social media and access to stuff they shouldn't be watching doesn't help. If anyone recalls, last year I mentioned about a 10 year old girl getting the two Inbetweeners films for Christmas.

Otis

Also, as a sidestep, do we need a different category for people like Adam Johnson? I think calling him a paedophile kind of dilutes and cheapens the terminology and the understanding we have of what a paedophile is.

I don't like him being called a paedophile. I think it needs re-categorising.

With Johnson the girl was 15 and the attraction was that she looked a lot older, so it was the excitement of her being underage but looking older. Doesn't stop him being scum of course.

For many a paedophile the attraction is that they ARE children and have NOT yet developed into looking like adults. I did a bit of research and apparently for a lot of paedophiles, the age of child that attracts them the most is 12, when the child is just starting to develop into an adult. They want their victim to have breasts and be going through puberty, but still for them to look like a child. That seemingly is the whole attraction.

I think a re-categorisation needs to be put in place, because people like Johnson sort of make paedophilia seem a bit more acceptable to some, because she was nearly an adult and looked like an adult.

Does that all make sense? Not condoning anything at all, just think they need to look at the way they categorise these things

Paedophilia is one of the sickest things known to mankind and this is people attracted to children and wanting to have sex with and abuse children.

Otis

I think if this girl with Johnson had have been 16 or 17 the same desire and lust would have been there. I don't think he targeted her because she was 15.

I believe paedophiles wouldn't be interested in a 17 year old. They want the child to be a child. That's the whole attraction.

A slight generalisation of course, but I think we need differing categories.

henry the wasp

There already is a category for him. Academically he is known as an EPHEBOPHILE.
There is one term everyone can agree on once he goes to jail though. Not On Normal Communal Exercise.

Otis

Right, never, ever heard that term before. Yep, just looked it up and that's what it is.

Seemingly some called him a paedophile and that is not correct. He is not sexually attracted to children apparently. This girl looked older than 15, so I am guessing at first he did think she was older.

No excuse though and he should still go to jail.

I went out with a 13 year old when I was 15 and and a 15 year old when I was 18. No sexual activity took place. The 15 year old I told we would have to wait until she was 16.

We ended up going out for 3.5 years.

Otis

Unbelievable! Surely that is much worse than Johnson. She was a teacher and she started a sexual relationship with a girl when the girl was just 14.

18 months is just ridiculous and a teacher is much more a role model than a footballer any day of the week.

chiefdave

Also, as a sidestep, do we need a different category for people like Adam Johnson? I think calling him a paedophile kind of dilutes and cheapens the terminology and the understanding we have of what a paedophile is.

The term already exist, the problem is the press have hijacked paedophile for use other than it's actual meaning, which is prepubescent. Johnson would be a Ephebophilia.

Nick

Administrator
Unbelievable! Surely that is much worse than Johnson. She was a teacher and she started a sexual relationship with a girl when the girl was just 14.

18 months is just ridiculous and a teacher is much more a role model than a footballer any day of the week.
That's because she was a woman...

Brighton Sky Blue

I think if this girl with Johnson had have been 16 or 17 the same desire and lust would have been there. I don't think he targeted her because she was 15.

I believe paedophiles wouldn't be interested in a 17 year old. They want the child to be a child. That's the whole attraction.

A slight generalisation of course, but I think we need differing categories.

In his messages he tells her to regularly delete their conversations, which shows he was consciously aware that he was up to no good. Unlike Ched Evans who is attempting to hide behind dodgy evidence, his guilt here is in black and white and there is no going back for him.

Can't imagine his other half and daughter will want much to do with him either.

Sky Blue Pete

I agree with you Otis. It does cheapen the term but then the whole issue is nuanced which doesn't fit with our media much today.

Good v evil
Bad v good

Very little grey area or seeking to understand

Also agree he broke the law and will receive a custodial sentence

Otis

Found guilty of one charge is sexual touching.

Sentence range is between 4 and 10 years. Career over.

chiefdave

Found guilty of one charge is sexual touching.

Sentence range is between 4 and 10 years. Career over.

Good to hear. Had a news alert on my phone saying he'd been found not guilty! Glad that wasn't right. Seemed pretty open and shut.

Otis

Only guilty of 'sexual touching' though. Not on the oral sex claim.

Beeb expects him to get 5 years.

Otis

Nope. Would doubt that very much. He'll be on the sex offenders register and won't be allowed anywhere near children, so football will be off the agenda surely.

Terry Gibson's perm

Nope. Would doubt that very much. He'll be on the sex offenders register and won't be allowed anywhere near children, so football will be off the agenda surely.

We will have to see, it is going to seem a long time in prison for him, he is a silly fool.

Otis

We will have to see, it is going to seem a long time in prison for him, he is a silly fool.
Be interesting to see what the conditions are on his release. Obviously football is a strange one because footballers are treated like idols by fans and are around kids at grounds and the training grounds and many are always actively seeking autographs.

Last edited:

Johnnythespider

Just watching this on the news, our friends at Sunderland aren't coming out of this very well. He admitted grooming and kissing the girl in a private meeting last year, yet they continued to let him play for them whilst he maintained his story that nothing had happened.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread