All purpose cricket thread (3 Viewers)

1nilandwe...

One of the most extraordinary Test matches I've seen. A team makes 550 in its 1st innings just before lunch day 4 and still loses. A team averages nearly 7 runs an over over 2 innings of Test cricket.
There's going to be some fun with this side but be prepared for the wheels coming off once it twice.
It was a phenomenal achievement to get a result out of that Test.
Captains and coaches often talk about not being afraid to lose, but this team genuinely seem to walk the walk.
It was four and half days of desperately trying to drag an interesting game out of that pitch. It could have gone badly wrong at almost any stage, and yet still they pushed on.

If they had lost that match on the final day. If a couple of the catches hadn't stuck etc. etc. they would still deserve an immense amount of credit for pushing the match into that position.

Stokes and McCullum deserve the Freedom of Rawalpindi.

wingy

It was a phenomenal achievement to get a result out of that Test.
Captains and coaches often talk about not being afraid to lose, but this team genuinely seem to walk the walk.
It was four and half days of desperately trying to drag an interesting game out of that pitch. It could have gone badly wrong at almost any stage, and yet still they pushed on.

If they had lost that match on the final day. If a couple of the catches hadn't stuck etc. etc. they would still deserve an immense amount of credit for pushing the match into that position.

Stokes and McCullum deserve the Freedom of Rawalpindi.
The City lol.
Both leftbacks as well.,😊

SkyBlueSoul

Open photo

"I once had the option to follow on another cricket team whilst out in the sub-continent but declined, as I'm sure we all would, because the only entity we should follow....is Jesus"

tisza

something about this side. Don't rate Leach but he does tie down an end in these conditions. Robinson continues to improve.
But another win. Old England would have surrendered to the leg spinners in 2nd innings - haunted by 1st innings spin damage.

chiefdave

Bazball was summed up pretty well on TGC a week or so ago, "everyone keeps saying wait until it fails but it doesn't fucking fail". We're well down the line now and while we're not at an Ashes win guaranteed stage every time you think they've reached the point it might fail they pull it out the bag

Of course question still remains what will happen when it does inevitably at some point go wrong but they seem so confident now I'm not sure a defeat or collapse is going to be something they dwell on and allow to turn into a run of defeats

The crazy thing is this is pretty much the same set of players Root had, has any team ever turned things around like this with so little change to the playing squad, struggling to think of one

tisza

Bazball was summed up pretty well on TGC a week or so ago, "everyone keeps saying wait until it fails but it doesn't fucking fail". We're well down the line now and while we're not at an Ashes win guaranteed stage every time you think they've reached the point it might fail they pull it out the bag

Of course question still remains what will happen when it does inevitably at some point go wrong but they seem so confident now I'm not sure a defeat or collapse is going to be something they dwell on and allow to turn into a run of defeats

The crazy thing is this is pretty much the same set of players Root had, has any team ever turned things around like this with so little change to the playing squad, struggling to think of one
It's an interesting transiston.
Look at the 50 over games from 10 plus years ago. Totals were much lower but it was pre-whiteball. But scores recently can be 2 plus runs per over better than old games.
This new approach is great but there will be occasions where conditions dictate a little more caution. Whether they adapt remains to be seen. But if you're winning more than you're losing then fair play. There will be the odd horror for which they get slated.
But to go to Pakistan and create 2 wins (particularly with the first being a declaration) is so encouraging.

tisza

This England team has such momentum. Now a 18 year old pops in and takes 5 on debut - more impressive as he's done against players brought up on spin. Barring a complete meltdown it's a 3-0 win in Pakistan
One of the "benefits" of the COVID season was a lot of teenagers getting county cricket - can only be a benefit rather having a load of Kolpak or average players being kept on past their best

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

This England team has such momentum. Now a 18 year old pops in and takes 5 on debut - more impressive as he's done against players brought up on spin. Barring a complete meltdown it's a 3-0 win in Pakistan
One of the "benefits" of the COVID season was a lot of teenagers getting county cricket - can only be a benefit rather having a load of Kolpak or average players being kept on past their best
A reason why I think it'd be so much better if football got rid of U21's for 'reserves' and limited squad sizes, especially at bigger clubs. Get talented youngsters playing competitive men's football at a younger age and make them hungrier to succeed instead of spending a decade at a top academy/youth team and get released at 24 a millionaire.

tisza

A reason why I think it'd be so much better if football got rid of U21's for 'reserves' and limited squad sizes, especially at bigger clubs. Get talented youngsters playing competitive men's football at a younger age and make them hungrier to succeed instead of spending a decade at a top academy/youth team and get released at 24 a millionaire.
Just think football is a bit more difficult than cricket due to the much higher risk/reward element - promotion, relegation etc values. but Pl clubs confuse me with the huge money they spend on non-elite overseas players whilst they have had years to perfect expensive academies.

tisza

Comfortable win to cap an impressive 3-0. Hope people remember the wins through aggressive declarations under this new regime because occasionally it will backfire.
Positives amongst players - Harry Brook - don't mess about with him. continue him at 5.
Ollie Robinson is an elite quick bowler - cupboard not so bare when Jimmy / Broad not available.
Duckett, Ahmed thrown their hats in the ring

CCFCSteve

Comfortable win to cap an impressive 3-0. Hope people remember the wins through aggressive declarations under this new regime because occasionally it will backfire.
Positives amongst players - Harry Brook - don't mess about with him. continue him at 5.
Ollie Robinson is an elite quick bowler - cupboard not so bare when Jimmy / Broad not available.
Duckett, Ahmed thrown their hats in the ring

So impressed all round. What a series albeit not the best Pakistan team. Suddenly a bit of strength in depth. If archer ever comes back as well !!!

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!

This is a fascinating insight from Broady and really highlights the change in mindset -

1nilandwe...

This is a fascinating insight from Broady and really highlights the change in mindset -

There's also a story going around of Pope saying to Stokes after his ugly 4-ball duck in Pindi that he must be in a really good space to be able to play so aggressively and not be worried about his wicket falling. It's hard to really compute how different the dressing room must be compared to previous regimes.

I am much more on the side of cricket purism than the average guy I'd say. I want 5 day test matches and I had no problem watching Cook and Sibley bat for ages, but even I am finding this transformation genuinely thrilling.

Yes, Pakistan were depleted and already below average, but to bat as they did AND take 60 wickets - on different pitches and in different ways - is a monumental achievement.

Finally, in a funny way, I'm looking forward to when this new approach backfires. Maybe they'll lose a home series, or get blown away in New Zealand. And on the evidence of the first Aus v SA test, the Aussies will be fighting fire with fire come the Ashes. I think it will be fascinating to see how they respond to that.

Brighton Sky Blue

There's also a story going around of Pope saying to Stokes after his ugly 4-ball duck in Pindi that he must be in a really good space to be able to play so aggressively and not be worried about his wicket falling. It's hard to really compute how different the dressing room must be compared to previous regimes.

I am much more on the side of cricket purism than the average guy I'd say. I want 5 day test matches and I had no problem watching Cook and Sibley bat for ages, but even I am finding this transformation genuinely thrilling.

Yes, Pakistan were depleted and already below average, but to bat as they did AND take 60 wickets - on different pitches and in different ways - is a monumental achievement.

Finally, in a funny way, I'm looking forward to when this new approach backfires. Maybe they'll lose a home series, or get blown away in New Zealand. And on the evidence of the first Aus v SA test, the Aussies will be fighting fire with fire come the Ashes. I think it will be fascinating to see how they respond to that.
Nobody can win indefinitely-but it’s about having the confidence to play the way you think the game should be played knowing it’ll succeed more often than not

1nilandwe...

Nobody can win indefinitely-but it’s about having the confidence to play the way you think the game should be played knowing it’ll succeed more often than not
Exactly. That first test was an embodiment of that mentality. Everybody had to buy into the distinct possibility of losing that match comfortably and looking pretty silly to boot, just in order to have a chance at an exciting finish, let alone a victory.

I'm pretty sure every other captain ever would have thought, 'first trip to Pakistan in twenty years, get used to conditions, overs in the bowlers legs, see this out, 0-0 with two to play, etc. etc.' Shane Warne would have been on comms saying that he would have declared ages ago and nobody would have taken him seriously.

tisza

Love the aggressive declaration on day one of a Test. Something you just don't see happen and it paid off nicely

Bertola

Day night games are really a bit of a farce with the conditions aren’t they? This one hasn’t even had the benefit of making it easier for us to watch over here!

tisza

Got to rethink this bazball in my own mind🙂 Goes against the grain of years of thinking. But this is a decent bowling attack with home conditions yet nearly every batsman has an SR of 70+.
When Broad hits one of his spells he is something to watch.

Mcbean

Listened overnight much to wife’s annoyance - Broads 10 overs must have been special - will have to catch up with those on the tv - will win 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread