Ashes 17/18 Thread (4 Viewers)

Covstu

But like last time we've managed to make a big issue out of nothing. Anderson said it was "not malicious" and a "bit of a non-event" yet Duckett has been kicked off the tour.

Why not just say its nothing, just a couple of players mucking about on a night off.

There seems to be a huge disconnect between the team & coaches and the ECB.
Root, cook, Broady were not out just jimmy. Just seems daft to visit the most fashionable place in the city and start fucking about like that. I am sure it wasn’t malicious but just fucking stupid

Otis

I was listening to a BBC podcast and somebody (ex player, may have been Mark Butcher)said something along the lines of that it wasn't a drink it was Ice cube/cubes. Maybe a cover up but certainly doesn't sound sinister as walking up to Anderson and tipping a pint over his head.

A pint of ice cubes can be very painful though if tipped on your bonce.

Otis

That crucial time again.

England lose Cook cheaply, then build a stand, Vince gets in and then gets out for 25 and now Root just in and England at 91-2.

This could go one of two ways.

Stoneman on 48 at the moment. He HAS to go on and get a hundred or pretty darn close and Root needs a big innings.

Lunch.

Otis

Lucky, lucky escape. Stoneman edges one straight to slip, straightforward catch and dropped.

Otis

This is looking ominous.

Still just the two wickets down, but another drop and the Aussies are steaming in and firing it down and the batsmen do not look at all comfortable. Wicket seems likely shortly.

Otis

And there you go.

Root out. Not a great shot at all. Down the leg side and got a flick.

Out for 20. Looking a bit dodgy at the moment.

Otis

Some really hostile bowling. Stoneman already hit on the helmet and England having to duck away from some cutthroat bouncers.

Otis

At the moment there are only three certainties in life. One, that we're all going to die. Two, that Trump will probably tweet about it and three, that an England batting collapse is just round the corner.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

England are getting absolutely peppered here!
Stoneman is like a boxer on the ropes, dropped twice in as many overs and hammered on the side of the head by a sharp bouncer!

Roots wicket was soft a noting ball and caught down the leg side!

Otis

England are getting absolutely peppered here!
Stoneman is like a boxer on the ropes, dropped twice in as many overs and hammered on the side of the head by a sharp bouncer!

Roots wicket was soft a noting ball and caught down the leg side!
You can see nothing other than another wicket soon. We are really being pinned back and the bowling is really hostile.

Memories of Mitchell Johnson here. :(

Otis

Really cannot see England surviving this. One more wicket or two and it will be a complete and total collapse I think.

These two need to see this out. Hopes aren't high though.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

That's a terrible decision. It was given not out. Totally inconclusive on the replay, so has to remain not out surely?

Joe Root not at all happy!!

Why did the 3rd umpire rush through it! He just watched one replay of everything and went, yep that's out!

Joke of a decision!

Otis

Why did the 3rd umpire rush through it! He just watched one replay of everything and went, yep that's out!

Joke of a decision!
Yep, that's the other thing. That surely needed lots of replays over and over and his decision was far, far too quick.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Can umpires be demoted or taken out of their role for a while, as with football referees?

Yeah guess so. After Simon Tauffel finished he was the best umpire of the last decade Dar stepped in and was superb for a few years past year or so he's been poor, he's had a fair few this series when he was standing umpire over turned!

No excuses as a 3rd umpire to get it so som wrong!

eastwoodsdustman

Yeah guess so. After Simon Tauffel finished he was the best umpire of the last decade Dar stepped in and was superb for a few years past year or so he's been poor, he's had a fair few this series when he was standing umpire over turned!

No excuses as a 3rd umpire to get it so som wrong!

I'd have him do Ireland, Afghanistan and the like for a while. That'd teach him

Covstu

It’s a shocker. Technically he was out but they certainly didn’t see that! Major assumptions made!

Otis

It’s a shocker. Technically he was out but they certainly didn’t see that! Major assumptions made!
It's ridiculous with all the technology at hand. The 3rd umpire was far too quick to reverse that and hardly took anytime at all to review it.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Have they shown another angle where it does it the other glove?

I saw a couple of minutes after where they showed a couple of angles that still didn't show it hitting the front glove and hot spot which appeared to only show it hitting the back glove.

Otis

Have they shown another angle where it does it the other glove?

I saw a couple of minutes after where they showed a couple of angles that still didn't show it hitting the front glove and hot spot which appeared to only show it hitting the back glove.
Yeah, Aussie TV station has a different angle showing it hit the gloved bat hand.

Still doesn't excuse shoddy 3rd umpiremanship

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Yeah, Aussie TV station has a different angle showing it hit the gloved bat hand.

Still doesn't excuse shoddy 3rd umpiremanship

Fair play for getting it right, but there is no way like you say he could of from the original angle! Didn't even show on hotspot.

Otis

Two things need to happen now for England. One batsman needs to get a century and England have to get to 330 minimum.

Covstu

Fair play for getting it right, but there is no way like you say he could of from the original angle! Didn't even show on hotspot.
It was the slightly knick but DRS didn't pick this up, it was from Aussie TV and this is the issue. He made the decision on a whim rather than the data infront of him. If there was no technology you could say fair enough but if you are using the tech to ensure it is correct then you surely have to go by what it is telling you!?

Covstu

Two things need to happen now for England. One batsman needs to get a century and England have to get to 330 minimum.
Malan playing very confidently at the moment, if anyone is getting a tonne it has to be him. I don't think he has one in international cricket does he?? Bairstow is steady at the moment, would be good if they can reach a 150+ partnership.

Otis

Now steadied the ship very well.

250/4. New ball will be interesting. Due in 6 overs

From 250/4 though you would think you need to be looking to 360 plus wouldn't you?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Now steadied the ship very well.

250/4. New ball will be interesting. Due in 6 overs

From 250/4 though you would think you need to be looking to 360 plus wouldn't you?

400+
This pair need to see us through to the close and see off the first 15 overs of the new ball tomorrow

Users who are viewing this thread