Ashes 17/18 Thread (2 Viewers)

Terry Gibson's perm

No Surrey are too busy signing Kohli as their overseas to get him used to English conditions ahead of the India series!

I hadn’t seen that I don’t really like Bob Willis but he has laid right into them about it, Surrey are the most disloyal side in county cricket and they try to justify it by using Sanga as an example a bloke who had already retired from international cricket

Terry Gibson's perm

No Surrey are too busy signing Kohli as their overseas to get him used to English conditions ahead of the India series!

Just had a look at some of the county moves hadn’t realised Jennings and Onions had gone to Lancs but Carberry to Leics shocked me, glad to see the bears have got rid of Javid a very average cricketer

henry the wasp

So it wasn't tape then. It was sandpaper. Everyone involved should just come clean now and stop being cowards. They are only making it worse and the press won't let it go.
Would'nt be surprised to see Warner rat out everyone. Which will happen if an appeal is heard.

tisza

Got to be one of the most expensive bans ever - both had 1.9m dollar IPL contracts for this season.

chiefdave

The ICC only banned Smith for 1 game and no match bans for the other 2!
The ICC punishments are a joke and surely now will have to be looked at. In the same series they tried to ban Rabada for 2 games for this until he lawyered up:

Realistically if you're getting hammered in a series and cheating is only a 1 match ban for 1 or 2 players everyone is going to be at it.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
I think Lehmann has been excluded from the initial bans to emphasise that he wasn't aware of the sandpaper (hmmm...). However, I don't expect him to last their 'cultural review'. CA would be a laughing stock if they kept the person in charge who fostered the whole toxic win at all costs culture. Dizzy or Langer will be brought in, both very well respected. Boof had plenty of history to start with, so what did they really expect to happen...

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Wow that could be some tail with no Woakes!

Vince back in for last chance saloon #58336
Why not get Livingstone in and live on front vince.
Stokes unable to bowl (if that is the case will they have to play Wood/Overton and Leach)

Be interesting to see which 2 they go with out of Wood/Overton/Leach if not all 3.

I guess you’d have to go Leach as a spinner, I’d rather have Overton for his batting but Wood is the media choice as he can bowl quick but hasn’t been in any form for a while!

Last edited:

Terry Gibson's perm

The tail starts at number one.

Harsh on Woakes has a bad test gets left out where Broad has a bad year and loses the new ball in a warm up game until he and his buddy Anderson have a moan and he gets it back for the test.

I wouldn’t even have taken Livingstone on tour.

I expect Overton will be left out of the 12

Terry Gibson's perm

Sandpaper gate continues it came as no surprise the main criminal was Warner, I can’t believe the bowlers didn’t know .

I can’t see why the ecb are taking so long over Bancroft he should be banned already.

tisza

Sandpaper gate continues it came as no surprise the main criminal was Warner, I can’t believe the bowlers didn’t know .

I can’t see why the ecb are taking so long over Bancroft he should be banned already.
Others in the set-up have to have known.
Whether they were willing participants or just kept quiet is another issue.
All points to the unhealthy culture in the side which either Smith & Lehmann encouraged or just chose to overlook.

Otis

And now poor Steve Smith breaks down in tears at his press conference.

You do have to feel sorry for the little mite don't you, bless.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Just watched the Smith conference and it’s fair to say he will not be cheating in a similar manner again....

Hopefully others will also think!

Covstu

Just watched the Smith conference and it’s fair to say he will not be cheating in a similar manner again....

Hopefully others will also think!
I think this showed who was pulling the strings and it wasn't Smithy. Whilst I have no sympathy for him or Bancroft for that matter as they are old enough to know better and stand up against Warner or Lehmann, I am gutted for him as a cricketer. Full of admiration of his abilities and showed what a captain can do in the ashes.

chiefdave

I think this showed who was pulling the strings and it wasn't Smithy.
Heard Gillespie talking about it on R5 and he basically said Smith can be a bit naive and easily let. It certainly wasn't Bancroft who instigated it so you're looking at Warner and / or Lehmann.

henry the wasp

No pity for Smith. He was quick enough to hang Bancroft out to dry in the first press conference.
What about when he was looking to the balcony for drs decisions against india.

lifeskyblue

Whilst I don’t pity them I do think the ‘stink’ re this is a little manufactured. They were stupid and ‘got found out’. I don’t for one minute think this is the first time the Aussies have done this and for that matter believe all the teams have done the same or similar. I’m sure England bowlers have illegally roughed up the ball. A few years ago there was suspicions. And of course there have been numerous match fixing allegations.
On a similar note I think all ‘top class’ sport is blighted today by individuals/teams attempting to gain advantage illegally. Cycling is well documented as is athletics but I suspect other sports fall into this also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiefdave

Whilst I don’t pity them I do think the ‘stink’ re this is a little manufactured. They were stupid and ‘got found out’. I don’t for one minute think this is the first time the Aussies have done this and for that matter believe all the teams have done the same or similar.
The difference here is they sat down and had a meeting planning to do it. Its deliberate pre-meditated cheating. From a side that has long made a lot of noise about the behaviour of other sides.

tisza

Sutherland will be gone in a couple of months. Can't endorse Lehmann's tenure like that when obviously broader problems in Aussie camp.
Personally think Lehmann's gotten away with it using players' plight as his excuse.

Covstu

The difference here is they sat down and had a meeting planning to do it. Its deliberate pre-meditated cheating. From a side that has long made a lot of noise about the behaviour of other sides.
As usual there are degrees of cheating or ‘gaining an advantage’. The whole eating sweets, shining the ball are pushing limits but are deemed acceptable however if you have brought something out to rub on the ball it’s a deliberate premeditated attempt to gain that advantage

Otis

Looks like we could triple our first innings score from the first test, which would be absolutely amazing.

Hats off to the English batsmen for such a great feat.

Otis

Now that's miles better!!

Were 164/7. Now 246/7.

Previously were 93/3, 94/4, 94/5!!

Really needed that recovery. Wood on 48!! Barstow on 69.

tisza

Fair play Bairstow and Wood.

Failures all round again though.
Still all goes back to weak selection practices for last summer's Tests & persistence with batsmen who can't build an innings.
All this is on the back of squeezing similar type batsmen into a long order rather than having a strong top 5/6.
Ali experiment foundering when he doesn't get runs and his spin bowling not up to Test level. Can't "get away" with it when side aren't scoring big runs and he has the runs to work with.

Covstu

Now that's miles better!!

Were 164/7. Now 246/7.

Previously were 93/3, 94/4, 94/5!!

Really needed that recovery. Wood on 48!! Barstow on 69.
Same old same old though isn’t it? Top order again 70% chance of poor innings with a small chance of a decent knock.

Users who are viewing this thread