Ashes 17/18 Thread (2 Viewers)

Otis

And now we have had NZ at 17/4 and then 35/5.

138 run partnership now though for the 6th wicket and NZ are currently 174/5, so we have let that opportunity slip though our fingers to polish them off for a really low score.

Otis

I actually felt Smiths were truely genuine.he was distraught, not so with Warner.
I just got the feeling Smith was upset because he was no longer the superhero.

I am sure he was genuinely upset, just not convinced of the validity of his reasoning.

He's gone from the best batsmen in the world and comparisons with Bradman, to outcast and humiliation.

I think it is that, that is upsetting him rather than any genuine remorse.

RedSalmon

Am in Australia at the moment. When it all came out just about everyone was outraged, a taxi driver was saying they should never play for Australia again and the level of anger was pretty high.

Got to say, a few days later and after a couple of tearful TV appearances quite a few people are asking if they have been punished enough. Was amazed that one commenteator seemed to be suggesting that the sheer humiliation of having to walk through the airport and get on the plane was punishment enough.

Dont be suprised to see some backtracking on the punishment handed out in the next few weeks.

chiefdave

Anyone seen Warners crocodile tears?
Yep. Refusing to answer questions regarding involvement of others and if they'd done it before doesn't look good.

Don't understand those complaining they're getting a hard time. They got caught cheating and it was pre-planned. What response is appropriate? They've been suspended and each given a press conference. They're hardly being paraded through the streets.

Gazolba

We should have a separate thread for 'cricket ball tampering' so those of us who are sick of the subject can just ignore it.

Grendel

I was talking to some Aussies the other day and they think Warner is an arsehole

Grendel

It be hard not to think that, I think the same of Broad but I get as much delight as anyone when he has ‘one of his games’ (in 20 such as this test)

Actually these guys who are in Australia and big cricket fans say most really hate the bloke and think this is great

Johnnythespider

I can't believe that these 3 are the only ones involved, surely the bowlers would have to be in on this, as I understand it the lad with the tape was fielding on the boundary, would he see much of the ball out there ?

chiefdave

I can't believe that these 3 are the only ones involved, surely the bowlers would have to be in on this, as I understand it the lad with the tape was fielding on the boundary, would he see much of the ball out there ?
Of course not. Look how Warner squirmed and refused to answer when he was asked if anyone else was involved or if they had done it before during his press conference.

chiefdave

It just gets more and more bizarre. Unless I'm missing something the players involved aren't being treated any different than you'd expect but they're trying to push the angle that they are receiving terrible treatment.

Here's a crazy idea. If you're worried about the way your wife and kids are taking this and / or being treated take them out the firing line. You don't parade them all through the airport, have them at the press conference and then have you wife give her own press conference.

Reality is they've hired PR people who have done a crap job and people aren't believing what they are being told.

Why not just withdraw from the public eye. They aren't short of a few quid just head off to the middle of nowhere, there's plenty of that is Aus, or even got overseas, spend a few months in the states where nobody knows who you are.

Give it 3-6 months and then start thinking about if you want to comeback and what you need to do to achieve that.

Terry Gibson's perm

NZ off to a flier here.

Need Broad and Anderson to finish this off with th new ball and hopefully a lead of 40

Total rubbish from wood it was like a county player setting up a declaration with buffet bowling and Leach is another no spinning spinner

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

So both Stoneman and especially Vince get a few runs in their final knocks of the winter to probably keep their places for the Pakistan Test at home inna couple of months.......

Terry Gibson's perm

So both Stoneman and especially Vince get a few runs in their final knocks of the winter to probably keep their places for the Pakistan Test at home inna couple of months.......

Cook is lucky there are few other openers about but Broad,Stoneman and Vince have booked summer places and Wood has managed to get Woakes back in

Covstu

There must be a better opener that cook now, he has a decent knock about one in ten now. Anyway on top just need to rack up about 450 inreckon

tisza

Woakes should be starting at home anyway.
Can do it at home but only rarely looks likely of getting more than a couple of wickets a game.
Batting & injuries kept him in Test side. Before his injury looked like he had started to get it sorted but hasn't really looked the same since.

tisza

There must be a better opener that cook now, he has a decent knock about one in ten now. Anyway on top just need to rack up about 450 inreckon
Problem is doesn't seem to be. Stoneman was supposed to be best candidate based on several years of big runs in domestic cricket. Hamed had a shocker last year. Jennings hasn't looked the part. Cook scored a shed load last year in County cricket but still making poor technical mistakes at Test level.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Can do it at home but only rarely looks likely of getting more than a couple of wickets a game.
Batting & injuries kept him in Test side. Before his injury looked like he had started to get it sorted but hasn't really looked the same since.

He’ll be fine over here this summer.

Users who are viewing this thread