Barry Bannon you know what you are! (1 Viewer)

Sick Boy

This goes against everything most people have said about Sheffield Wednesday up until now. Most on here don't care for Sheffield United and think Wednesday are okay, a " proper"club. Perhaps that's now all changed .
Were Wednesday asked to take the knee or are the club racist because they didn't ?

Did Wednesday players take the knee last Saturday or am I getting confused with Oxford United ?
Both teams did before the Leicester match.

Brighton Sky Blue

but people on here seem to love them

A good old fashioned club is what they say. Old fashioned in many important ways it seems.
I'd thought for years they were a decent set of fans especially after the ground sang Hi Ho Silver Lining after some fans of theirs died coming back from a game. This whole episode has changed that though, hopefully stuff them in the replay and they get relegated.

clint van damme

A good old fashioned club is what they say. Old fashioned in many important ways it seems.

I think perceptions will have changed over the last week
I rarely buy into tarnishing a whole club and its fanbase on what's been posted by a few oddballs on social media and message boards but it does seem this has gone beyond that with them.
Given the gesture we made when their supporters died of playing their song before the next fixture at the Ricoh they can go fuck themselves now.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I never really cared about SW but everything about them is just toxic . The players not taking the knee how disrespectful. And their fans ( not all ) are just thick uneducated scum . I hope we teach them a lesson in the replay and they get relegated.

On one of the phone-ins after last Saturday game, an ex Sheffield Wednesday fan said he was a season ticket holder for many years, but not any more after years racist chants, like the one he recalled against Paul Inch of Man United, yes that's how long it's been going on.

One of the chant's he recalled was, get the B***k B**TARD off the pitch, regarding Paul Inch.

Yes they are certainly TOXIC.

Astute

I stated how I used to love going to their place. A sithole of a ground maybe but a proper old ground. Always enjoyed having a few beers and mingling with their supporters.

Fast forward a couple of decades and it shows no resemblance of years gone by. A big difference to what you allege.

Cheylesmore ITK

I stated how I used to love going to their place. A sithole of a ground maybe but a proper old ground. Always enjoyed having a few beers and mingling with their supporters.

Fast forward a couple of decades and it shows no resemblance of years gone by. A big difference to what you allege.
It shows no resemblance of being in 2024 and in fact is stuck in the past.

Last edited:

HerneBayGaz

I never really cared about SW but everything about them is just toxic . The players not taking the knee how disrespectful. And their fans ( not all ) are just thick uneducated scum . I hope we teach them a lesson in the replay and they get relegated.
Surprised with that mob. They didn't use to be like that. Seemed to be a decent bunch of fans over the years. Unlike the horrible 'blunts' but your right I hope we absolutely stuff them. With any luck we won't play the racist scum for many years, after they get relegated. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Fuck off with this theory that I’m somehow a racist for holding an opinion

I hate racism - it’s dreadful but you literally don’t know me

you do keep on about taking the knee though, which seems to be a pet hate of yours….but you haven’t really given any explanation as to why? Do you have arthritis and difficulty getting down and back up again?

In any event, and I’ve already said this on a previous thread, taking the knee last night wasn’t about any political movement, it was purely and simply about taking a stand behind one of our players who was racially abused on the same pitch less than a week earlier, and the fact the SW players (or the club, who knows) CHOSE not to follow suit (and obviously also the fact a large number of their fans CHOSE to boo not only the fact our players took the knee, but then also boo ONLY the player who was racially abused) says something….

a question then, taking into account the above, if it was you as a SW player, would you have taken the knee? and if you were a SW fan would you have booed our players for doing so?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Fcuking hell.... no surprise you are defending Bannon.
Am I ? And why would you be unsurprised I defend Bannon . What was said in the conversation he had with Kasey ? Genuinely . I don't know . So tell me and everyone else so we can make an informed judgement. Or don't you know.

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

No club’s racist if they don’t take the knee - ffs - in that case then,every club in the country’s racist because they don’t do it every week
Ridiculous
I completely agree. What I'm asking is , are people suggesting that by not taking the knee it makes the club racist ? It seems to me they are and it's utterly ridiculous. It's like suggesting if I don't go on a gay rights march or have a rainbow flag in my window I'm homophobic .

rob9872

Regardless of their fans behaviour, a lot of stick for the SW players not taking the knee. I was disappointed our players were booed for doing so and also that they didn't join us, but do we know why? As they have black players on their team, I think it's a stretch to assume they're racist and therefore assume that standing together in arms was their way of solidarity.

It must've been discussed and a decision taken in their dressing room. Do we have any direct quotes on their decision or have some just made their mind up on the reason? Apologies if already mentioned and I've missed it.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

you do keep on about taking the knee though, which seems to be a pet hate of yours….but you haven’t really given any explanation as to why? Do you have arthritis and difficulty getting down and back up again?

In any event, and I’ve already said this on a previous thread, taking the knee last night wasn’t about any political movement, it was purely and simply about taking a stand behind one of our players who was racially abused on the same pitch less than a week earlier, and the fact the SW players (or the club, who knows) CHOSE not to follow suit (and obviously also the fact a large number of their fans CHOSE to boo not only the fact our players took the knee, but then also boo ONLY the player who was racially abused) says something….

a question then, taking into account the above, if it was you as a SW player, would you have taken the knee? and if you were a SW fan would you have booed our players for doing so?
Why didn't the black Sheffield Wednesday players take the knee ? That's a bit odd. Had they done so perhaps other SW players may have followed.
Perhaps CCFC didn't communicate what was going to happen to Swfc. Perhaps SWFC chose to ignore it. Who knows ?

rob9872

Why didn't the black Sheffield Wednesday players take the knee ? That's a bit odd. Had they done so perhaps other SW players may have followed.
Perhaps CCFC didn't communicate what was going to happen to Swfc. Perhaps SWFC chose to ignore it. Who knows ?
I've just asked that above, I think it must've been discussed as they were all at the centre circle not in their positions so it was a unified decision whatever the opinions of it right or wrong.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I've just asked that above, I think it must've been discussed as they were all at the centre circle not in their positions so it was a unified decision whatever the opinions of it right or wrong.
You'd have thought that given what happened to Kasey last Saturday and the fact that clubs generally have long since stopped taking the knee, when the SW team saw what our players had opted to do, there would have been a kind of instinctive action to join in , to join them in support, even if it looked a bit unplanned and delayed by a few seconds. They didn't. Their reaction and the way stood looked odd and to be honest a little defiant. In not doing so it said to some of their supporters go ahead with whatever you did last Saturday, we aren't bothered.

skybluericoh

Personally I think taking the knee has ran its course. However, because of what happened last Saturday as a one I think it was right last night and SW should have taken part.
the booing, there not the only fans to boo an opponent, again though, following the previous week bit poor.
Let’s hope we stuff them in the replay and get Maidstone at home in the 5th

Otis

I'd thought for years they were a decent set of fans especially after the ground sang Hi Ho Silver Lining after some fans of theirs died coming back from a game. This whole episode has changed that though, hopefully stuff them in the replay and they get relegated.
Agree. I had a soft spot for them after that and I remember a few of their decent fans coming on here and it was all very amicable and heartfelt.

At that time I had no idea they had such a problem with racism.

And as has already been alluded to, whether or not people think that taking the knee had, had it's day, this was one day where it should have happened from both sides to show solidarity.

It looks awful now that they didn't do that and obviously fuelled their fans up more.

Very sad.

wingy

Agree. I had a soft spot for them after that and I remember a few of their decent fans coming on here and it was all very amicable and heartfelt.

At that time I had no idea they had such a problem with racism.

And as has already been alluded to, whether or not people think that taking the knee had, had it's day, this was one day where it should have happened from both sides to show solidarity.

It looks awful now that they didn't do that and obviously fuelled their fans up more.

Very sad.
Wonder how much has changed, whether the South Yorkshire police force has really changed?

Londonccfcfan

What a shit show. Its so bad no even sure KC has come out of this with any credit according to their fanbase.

As in Robins words absolute disgrace.

Nothing stopped the other Sheffield fans who wernt booing standing up and applauding you can always make a stand.

Joke that the majority chose to boo and the others chose to stay quite. Which went against their PR rascist statement.

wingy

Regardless of their fans behaviour, a lot of stick for the SW players not taking the knee. I was disappointed our players were booed for doing so and also that they didn't join us, but do we know why? As they have black players on their team, I think it's a stretch to assume they're racist and therefore assume that standing together in arms was their way of solidarity.

It must've been discussed and a decision taken in their dressing room. Do we have any direct quotes on their decision or have some just made their mind up on the reason? Apologies if already mentioned and I've missed it.
I'd assume it was of benifit to their team in a tactical sense,any edge and all that, can't imagine any black players would be against otherwise.

SkyBlueCharlie9

Lived in Sheffield in 90s for a few years. Sheff Wed's fans like all clubs had their dodgy sorts, but generally their fans were from the nicer side of the city. Knew loads of SWFC fans then and they were usually more open minded guys/girls (unlike the blades) After recent events though clearly things have gone downhill. Think the fans were knicknamed 'pigs' by the blades fans.... which is rather apt.
We all have a duty to call it out and adopt a zero tolerant approach and so proud 99.5% of us on here are doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread