Match Thread Blackburn Rovers - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 27th Apr (6 Viewers)

Otis

Oh, I have lots of other gloaty photos I just took, but they won't upload.

Folkestone is beautiful this morning photo2jpg.jpg

We have actually all just taken out coats off, because we are so warm 1539_12_mob.jpg

Hobo

Probably isnt, but ill take 3 defeats to keep the lads safe and ready to go next season.
If we want to win the league, and i really think with just a little bit of final touches this summer we could give it a go, we absolutely have to have a really good start. Wright Palmer Latabadieure playing the Copa America isnt ideal albeit will be great experience for them.
Also, Doug could do with investing more into the Academy, while its pretty good at the moment, we dont produce that many top youngsters and it would be nice to see the youth teams dominate at the level they play at.
I know we are not Man City, but the first thing Guardiola did when he went there was get the Academy sorted out (its the best in the world along with Barcelona) and i think all the youth teams play exactly the same way the first team does.

First thing Ferguson did at Manchester United, youth and grass roots football. First team hardly saw him in the first month except day before match and match day. Left it to first team coaches to inform him who should play. Then used his own eyes to judge the players and the coaches.

Hobo

We've lost 4 players in the last 2 games through injury (Binks, Tavares, Lati & Torp). Don't want to risk any more players getting a really serious injury e.g Bobby Thomas, who looked shagged on Weds night.
Box Formation.

Collins
Back 3 of Sheaf, Kitching and Bidwell.
MVE & Da Silva Wing backs
Kelly and Eccles in centre mid.
O'Hare & Palmer at AM, or possibly Allen
Simms up front

I would rather play a back 4 and have Sheaf in midfield.

stupot07

I would rather play a back 4 and have Sheaf in midfield.
Yeah may as well give Lusala a run at right back, and play 4 at the back, then pop Sheaf into midfield. We've not played well all season with wingbacks.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

coop

Yeah may as well give Lusala a run at right back, and play 4 at the back, then pop Sheaf into midfield. We've not played well all season with wingbacks.

Can't put the young lad up against smzodics he will rip him a new one.

stupot07

Can't put the young lad up against smzodics he will rip him a new one.
He's 21, not that young, Norton-Cuffy was 19 playing for us last season. If he's not good enough to play now, in a period of injury crisis, then he really needs to move on.

shmmeee

He's 21, not that young, Norton-Cuffy was 19 playing for us last season. If he's not good enough to play now, in a period of injury crisis, then he really needs to move on.

He’s out of contract in the summer. You’d think we’d want to have a look at him at least.

Tommo1993

The amount of hangers-on we have around our squad, academy product or past players, is just testament. We’re not ready.

shmmeee

Do feel if there’s a valid criticism to be levelled at Robins isn’t slight failure on the academy front.

In his defence the first team and club in general has needed so much attention and he can’t be everywhere. But seven years is long enough to establish ways of working that produce if not superstars at least players with your ethos and ways of playing that you shouldn’t be so worried to use them now and again as at least they’ll play how you want.

Brighton Sky Blue

He’s out of contract in the summer. You’d think we’d want to have a look at him at least.
Alternatively Norton-Cuffey himself is the kind of signing I'd be interested in for that position if we have the funds. Two full seasons in the Championship, still improving and the sort of player we want at right back.

Sbarcher

Bottom of the form table over last 5 league games. A fizzling finish to what was almost a great season. That said, I feel it's still been a good season.

skyblueelephant76

Alternatively Norton-Cuffey himself is the kind of signing I'd be interested in for that position if we have the funds. Two full seasons in the Championship, still improving and the sort of player we want at right back.
Surely MVE is the sort of player we want at right back?

Norton-Cuffey is only 20 and would probably cost at least a couple of million - I can't see us spending that on a back up.

Brighton Sky Blue

Surely MVE is the sort of player we want at right back?

Norton-Cuffey is only 20 and would probably cost at least a couple of million - I can't see us spending that on a back up.
The point is we shouldn’t be signing back ups but multiple players of first team quality across the pitch. If the funds were available yes I would spend £1-2m on him.

Gint11

Do feel if there’s a valid criticism to be levelled at Robins isn’t slight failure on the academy front.

In his defence the first team and club in general has needed so much attention and he can’t be everywhere. But seven years is long enough to establish ways of working that produce if not superstars at least players with your ethos and ways of playing that you shouldn’t be so worried to use them now and again as at least they’ll play how you want.
I was thinking this recently. The amount of academy players coming through and pushing for 1st team is worrying.

Brighton Sky Blue

I was thinking this recently. The amount of academy players coming through and pushing for 1st team is worrying.
Bristol City seemingly have a conveyor belt coming through, are they doing anything particularly different to the rest?

shmmeee

MvE is likely off next season if we aren’t promoted. We should be thinking about succession planning TBF. Same as Simms, Wright, Sheaf, and for those of you that believe, Thomas.

Gint11

Bristol City seemingly have a conveyor belt coming through, are they doing anything particularly different to the rest?

No idea. If DK wants us to be sustainable, one major way of doing that is bringing kids through the academy and into the 1st team and add value. That isn’t happening at all.

Brighton Sky Blue

No idea. If DK wants us to be sustainable, one major way of doing that is bringing kids through the academy and into the 1st team and add value. That isn’t happening at all.
Definitely isn’t. Which is why I wonder what Bristol are doing, looking at some of the players they’ve brought through and sold for big money in recent years.

TomRad85

The point is we shouldn’t be signing back ups but multiple players of first team quality across the pitch. If the funds were available yes I would spend £1-2m on him.
Me too. He's gone up a notch at Millwall too.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

Me too. He's gone up a notch at Millwall too.

If you have more than one first team standard player for a position it really helps with succession planning which reduces the problems of high squad turnover. If the plan is to cash in on MVE next summer then having BNC already there growing in value and quality is what we’d need.

Just an example, we need someone similar at left back too.

TomRad85

If you have more than one first team standard player for a position it really helps with succession planning which reduces the problems of high squad turnover. If the plan is to cash in on MVE next summer then having BNC already there growing in value and quality is what we’d need.

Just an example, we need someone similar at left back too.
Yep, I've already said in another thread I don't want to be buying anyone who's considered a back up, something I'll be repeating a lot over the summer I'm sure. You could say EMC is a backup but in reality he's a £4m+ signing who's going to play a lot and make our overall squad much stronger.

Users who are viewing this thread