Can we do a Forest (1 Viewer)

Londonccfcfan

slowpoke

It’s uncanny this run is be becoming so much like the one we had when we stormed division one to promotion three years ago. I remember us losing to lowly Tranmere when we battered them should have won by five and Tranmere scored a worldie with five minutes to go to win, I’m comparing that to the Blackpool loss, different circumstances I know but a fully fit Coventry would have won that. Of course there will be blips but a months rest, injured players coming back and just maybe two or three newbies in January we are in a position to challenge strongly the top slots.

KenilworthSkyBlue

I don't think so, no. Player sales are likely with any reinvestment being minimal at best.

In last year's January window Forest sold none of their key players and spent millions on new additions which catapulted their position and allowed them to sustain their run.

The scenarios of both clubs are poles apart and can't really be compared.

SkyBlueCharlie9

Get the idea but slightly different to Forest....stadium/home game issues, no sugar daddy pouring cash in, long term planning, and no sudden change in manager. I get the gist of your question though and now I absolutely do think we have a great chance of going up as the quality of this league is very mixed.

BornSlippySkyBlue

If we kept all of our players and improved the depth of the squad in January then we could make the playoffs. Not saying we would, but we could. But what are the chances of both of those things being true?

Alkhen

I do fear player sales will derail any chances of a playoff push.

I wonder though is January the best time to maximize profit from sales. I honestly don't know.

I know it all hinges on them staying fit, but would a Vik with 1.5 years on his contract be worth much more than a Vik with 1 year but potentially another place in the championship scoring charts?

if Im right the big 3 all have a 1.5 years left so it really is getting tight.

shmmeee

I do fear player sales will derail any chances of a playoff push.

I wonder though is January the best time to maximize profit from sales. I honestly don't know.

I know it all hinges on them staying fit, but would a Vik with 1.5 years on his contract be worth much more than a Vik with 1 year but potentially another place in the championship scoring charts?

if Im right the big 3 all have a 1.5 years left so it really is getting tight.

Genuine Q: have we ever made a proper sale in the summer? IIRC Maddison and McCallum both went in Jan. Who have we sold for cash in the summer, not counting Hyams last minute deal.

Robinshio

I dont think so
not sure we will need to rely on play offs :)

we are 5 points ahead of them at this stage

51 points off 27 games to tie with them

so 14 wins 9 draws 4 defeats - so we cant really afford another bad run

Every 6 games = 3 wins , 2 draws 1 defeat (which would guarantee play offs with 3 games to go)
and then 7 points from the final 3 games (for 80 points which maybe enough for 2nd this year)
Genuine Q: have we ever made a proper sale in the summer? IIRC Maddison and McCallum both went in Jan. Who have we sold for cash in the summer, not counting Hyams last minute deal.
Jutkiewicz which effectively sent us down from the champtionship last time

shmmeee

Jutkiewicz which effectively sent us down from the champtionship last time

That’s was Jan as well wasnt it? Seems they feel (probably correctly) its the best time to maximise value. But that’s because it does the most damage on the pitch.

Robinshio

That’s was Jan as well wasnt it? Seems they feel (probably correctly) its the best time to maximise value. But that’s because it does the most damage on the pitch.
sorry misread I thought you said january :)

not sure re callum wilson

Robinshio

Yup. It's not going to happen. Players will leave in January and our squad isn't big enough.

Already seems certain that at least Gyokeres will be gone in the transfer window.
if so we need to tie up the sale straight away with at least 3 incoming quality players to step in

Alkhen

Good point, Im 100% sure the owners will cash in. Mine was more of a general question. I honestly dont think the value would drop between now and the end of the season. The rewards could be massive if he keeps scoring.

Brylowes

If we kept all of our players and improved the depth of the squad in January then we could make the playoffs. Not saying we would, but we could. But what are the chances of both of those things being true?
If that happens in January I honestly think we’d be nailed on for top 6.

slowpoke

Player sales in January, only if players themselves want to go that’s my take, who is going to sell them ?

Alkhen

It is massivly frustrating, it feels like the squad is so close to being super competitive, we obviously have a top coaching set up. We have most of the dificult/expensive positions covered, we only really miss quality in depth.
Keeping what we have and adding quality loans might even tip us over the edge but we all know it wont play out like that.

KenilworthSkyBlue

So it’s about 50:50 then. Still think Vik and Cal will go in Jan (new billionaire owners aside)

Whether it's one or two sales is entirely dependent on how much the club receives up front on any deal and the level of interest received.

It's also dependent on how much the club needs to cover its operational costs until the end of the season, coupled with whether they'll look to pay back the EFL loan now, if SISU will look to extract funds and of course any sell-on clauses due (Gyokeres in particular).

Regardless, any talk of play-offs is incredibly premature as certainly the points outlined in the second paragraph will ultimately be the foremost priority for the club at the point of any sale.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

No

Evo1883

The run has lasted a 3rd of the season and we've played most of the top teams during it .. you'd imagine if the squad stays together and is slightly added to, we could push for the playoffs .. but I just can't see players not being sold in January

play_in_skyblue_stripes

No I don't think so. It's been a fine and solid run but I don't think we an exceptional team. As many others injuries, suspensions small squad and who knows what will happen in January .
Maybe the defence is operating better than last year but overall my perception is the team isn't as good as last year.

Let's hope for further success but this fine run of results has massively reduced chance of relegation. That is the main thing as due to circumstances we were adrift at bottom of table.

Alkhen

If SISU are to leave , they will cash in and take what they can before they do go

I am not sure they are planning on going anywhere. But If they do go wouldn't they command a better price for the club with the prize player assets in place? By selling a player that instantly devalues the club, there is very little actually own of CCFC as it is.

100% sure there will be sales in Jan especially if SISU are still around.

Evo1883

I am not sure they are planning on going anywhere. But If they do go wouldn't they command a better price for the club with the prize player assets in place? By selling a player that instantly devalues the club, there is very little actually own of CCFC as it is.

100% sure there will be sales in Jan especially if SISU are still around.

Never really bothered sisu , they thought it was worth 60 mill and we had Nathan delfonesio on loan 😂

BornSlippySkyBlue

If that happens in January I honestly think we’d be nailed on for top 6.
Too many variables for ‘nailed on’ for me, one bad run and we could easily miss out. Takeovers aside, what are the chances of keeping the squad together anyway, let alone adding any meaningful depth in the January window?

All that said, it wouldn’t totally amaze me if we did lose players and still squeak through. I thought the worst when O’Hare got injured, but we coped. Often it seems losing players ultimately has a positive effect on the team. Maybe we underestimate the squad, or overestimate the importance of individual players.

skyblu3sk

I think as the season goes on if injuries and player sales bite then probably not. If we keep the group together maybe but still feels a big ask to me. Would love to be proved wrong on this. Never felt we were relegation fodder but feel we need a little more depth or luck to get promoted.

Londonccfcfan

Good point we have practically played a third of season 15 games without OHare.

First half dozen the whole team was nowhere near speed or match fit

Londonccfcfan

I think as the season goes on if injuries and player sales bite then probably not. If we keep the group together maybe but still feels a big ask to me. Would love to be proved wrong on this. Never felt we were relegation fodder but feel we need a little more depth or luck to get promoted.
Had our fair share of injuries and suspensions and coped really well tbf.

Have a couple of areas for improvement.

Goalkeeper and Wing backs, and another back up centre back. Otherwise will be squar pegs in rounds holes like eccles at Wing back.

The big positives have been breakthrough of Eccles and Burroughs.

Users who are viewing this thread