Climate change and activists (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

After two days of unbearable heat does anyone now have more sympathy with those who block motorways etc in the name of addressing climate change ?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

After two days of unbearable heat does anyone now have more sympathy with those who block motorways etc in the name of addressing climate change ?
Nope. Had sympathy for their aims before. Felt the way they went about it might be slightly counterproductive as it will annoy people and also holding up traffic just means cars are sitting there spewing out fumes for longer.

Grendel

None whatsoever - they should surely been doing it yesterday and sat there all day

SkyBlueCharlie9

Fully agree with their message (have done since 1992 and uni studies) and yes it's critical, but unhelpful to p*ss public off. The weather might help a few oil guzzling CC deny-ers change their views/behaviours but I doubt it. The Tory party track record is abysmal and are divivided on this (shock-horror) remember their oak tree logo PR). Globally we are f*****d, I am beginning to think perhaps it's too late.
Another reason why we need a change in government as this crowd of oil and gas loving neanderthals are incapable of overcoming their vested interest in protecting big business.

SkyBlueCharlie9

They could have used the day to highlight the impact by burning in the sun
Nice. Inflict pain on people you disagree with..... still displaying playground politics I see. Thought you were better than that. Wouldn't be surprised of you are a complete Climate Change sceptic.

Grendel

Nice. Inflict pain on people you disagree with..... still displaying playground politics I see. Thought you were better than that. Wouldn't be surprised of you are a complete Climate Change sceptic.

I wouldn’t be inflicting it as they’d be doing it on themselves. If they are modern day suffragettes which I believe some claim they are then it’s the type of behaviour you’d get from a suffragette isn’t it?

skybluetony176

It was gluing themselves to public transport that I didn’t get given public transport is part of the solution not the problem. Yes gluing yourselves to roads in London was an inconvenience but there’s always something to inconvenience you on the roads in London so not sure what actually measurable inconvenience they really created. They got the headlines at the end of the day and that was their aim so fair play, except for the public transport part.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I very much get the inconvenience factor which pisses the public off when these people glue themselves to roads etc.

In the last two days we've seen schools closing, trains cancelled, airports close, fires, etc etc .
Generally the impact of the heat was far, far greater than activists trying to make their point about the very thing we all experienced, and no doubt will experience again in more intensity in the future.

Yesterday I stayed indoors almost all day because it wasn't safe to go outside for very long. I think that's the first time I've felt at the mercy of intense heat in the UK and I think a fortnight of that would have been absolutely catastrophic.

Last edited:

Irish Sky Blue

I’m on holiday in Ireland at the moment. It was hot over here for the past two days but not as bad as in the UK. I was watching RTE last night. They had a discussion between a scientist, who laid it very clearly on the line that farming practices along with a host of other things have to drastically change if we are not to face cataclysmic events, and a representative for Irish farmers.
Despite being told in no uncertain terms that life as we know it will end unless we change now, the farmer’s guy was still banging on about how much they had already done in reducing CO2 emissions and how it was unfair to ask farmers to do more. It left me feeling we have no hope. How could you not see that keeping your cows and sheep won’t matter a jot with what is coming down the line.
I’m 65 so I might escape the worst of it, but what about my children and grandchildren? The horrors that they might experience are scary.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I’m on holiday in Ireland at the moment. It was hot over here for the past two days but not as bad as in the UK. I was watching RTE last night. They had a discussion between a scientist, who laid it very clearly on the line that farming practices along with a host of other things have to drastically change if we are not to face cataclysmic events, and a representative for Irish farmers.
Despite being told in no uncertain terms that life as we know it will end unless we change now, the farmer’s guy was still banging on about how much they had already done in reducing CO2 emissions and how it was unfair to ask farmers to do more. It left me feeling we have no hope. How could you not see that keeping your cows and sheep won’t matter a jot with what is coming down the line.
I’m 65 so I might escape the worst of it, but what about my children and grandchildren? The horrors that they might experience are scary.
This is what happens when you condition people to value money over all else.

SBT

Surely their aim is to get people onside, rather than faces in the paper?

I think they wanted to publicise the issue as much as possible. I’d guess that not many people disagree with their cause, so visibility is their main concern.

Grendel

Also Charles I’ve been looking at what else I can do do save on carbon emissions

I’ve got some tax free spare cash and I might buy a vintage Jaguar XK Convertible- I’ve found one from 2004 and will have a look. My theory is in the summer months I can put the roof down knock off the air con and save fuel output - yesterday I was having to drive the big diesel with air con full on a lot of the day

It also goes with Dreamers ethos of having less money makes you happier and too be fair - he’s probably correct as even looking is making me happy

OffenhamSkyBlue

We're doing our bit but until you get China and the Yanks on board, seems a pretty empty gesture.
Sadly, Reg, I agree with you. Don't forget India too - they are forecast to exceed the Chinese population in November this year, their power generation is 70% from coal, and their rate of building is generating HUGE amounts of CO2 from concrete production (as is China). Our contribution to global CO2 levels is a drop in the ocean compared to theirs. That doesn't mean to say we can sit back and do nothing, but it will only have a very small impact. The graphs about global temperature changes show that farming for meat (which has remained in the same ball-park in the UK for several centuries) is unlikely to have had more than a negligible impact on CO2 levels.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Great post. For me the bottom line is we all have to take a hit in order to stop this. We have to learn to go without those things that, in their manufacture, are contributing ,ultimately, to our own extinction.
Yet there are an awful lot of people who simply don't see what's coming down the line. One day of record breaking temperature and the london fire service has had its busiest day since WW2.
Today it's back to normal and forgotten about.

skybluetony176

We're doing our bit but until you get China and the Yanks on board, seems a pretty empty guesture.
We export our carbon footprint to China every time we buy something made there whether it’s a completed product or a component in something we buy. It’s very very difficult to buy anything without the hand of China in it, especially true of anything electronic or with a battery. China is the world factory so we all own part of China’s carbon footprint to some degree. Despite that if you measure China’s carbon footprint by land mass or capita they’re far from the most polluting country in the world. The US I believe is the biggest polluters by landmass and capita. Historically we’re the biggest polluter in history.

Nick

Administrator
Their aim is to keep the subject of climate change in the newspapers and keep the conversation going not their faces. They achieved that.

Yeah, the same as when the Trust just wanted to get "exposure to the plight" then thought they had fixed everything every time they made it into the papers.

You could get in the paper every day if you wanted to, it doesn't mean you are going to make any difference at all to the cause. Just get back pats.

Ian1779

Yeah, the same as when the Trust just wanted to get "exposure to the plight" then thought they had fixed everything every time they made it into the papers.

You could get in the paper every day if you wanted to, it doesn't mean you are going to make any difference at all to the cause. Just get back pats.
Would you prefer they take the Government approach and just try and rinse every penny out of it instead?

Sick Boy

Great post. For me the bottom line is we all have to take a hit in order to stop this. We have to learn to go without those things that, in their manufacture, are contributing ,ultimately, to our own extinction.
Yet there are an awful lot of people who simply don't see what's coming down the line. One day of record breaking temperature and the london fire service has had its busiest day since WW2.
Where I live there’s a drought and state of emergency until the end of the year. I admit it’s been an eye opener for me - it wasn’t something that I overly worried about before and I was wrong.

Last edited:

skybluetony176

We’re talking about it on here aren’t we? We’re a small community but this is the second thread I can remember on the subject. Some good points being made also, some people might be getting an education that makes them think about their own behaviour and personal responsibility. Maybe not but at least a sensible (for here anyway) is taking place.

AOM

Agree with this. I think as climate change isn't viewed as an immediate danger, everyone just gets on with their lives and it's an issue for future generations to deal with.
As things get worse, it might be taken more seriously but it already might be too late by then

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

So shouldn't this apply even more to those with even more things? Stuff like massive houses, a fleet of cars and a yacht/jet? I think they could go without them a lot more than me going to the shops in a small hatchback.

Brighton Sky Blue

We teach how global warming and climate change work to teenagers and they get it easily enough.

Top 3 things an individual could do

Stop driving
Go veggie
Install a heat pump in place of a gas boiler

Top 3 things the government could do

Go for a nuclear/renewable energy mix
Commit with other nations to using solar beacons in the Sahara to meet the energy demands of two continents
Incentivise people to trade in their petrol or diesel cars for electric

Users who are viewing this thread