Climate change and activists (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

That is not more traffic. That is just cars in different positions on the road.
But if it stops moving periodically because it can't get past then the journey time will be a bit longer there will be more cars on the road at the same time as it backs up slightly. If there's an accident on the motorway that shuts it then the number of cars overall is the same as every other day, but there will be more cars held up by it thus creating more cars on that stretch of road and cars on the road for longer because they're stuck.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I haven't been form Binley road for a while so don't know if that's live yet, the road works were a night mare.

I'm not sure if they are extending it onto sky blue way also,?
It's pretty shit. Especially galling when for quite a long section of it there's wide paths and/or patches of grass that could have been used to put in a cycle lane. They've made an absolute pigs ear of it.

SAJ

When did the tariffs change? They used to be more generous than they are now, perhaps if they'd left them as they were it might have encouraged more people to have them installed.
The FIT tariff as they were called were introduced as it was new technology. Started about 13 years ago but at the time a system would have cost approx 12 k in that times money. They were cut about 3 years later as the cost of systems came down as any new technology does. I paid £8000 for a 4 kWh system then. The incentive being the energy firms pay you for every kWh you produce for the next 25 years. Once the cost of a 4 kWh system dropped below 5k the incentive was removed and replaced by some called I think SEG. Now for every kWh you generate but don’t use you only get 5p per kWh. You won’t make much doing that though. The real saving is what you save using electric at different times of the day so you have to alter your life style a bit. E.G. have the washing machine come on at 11 a.m. dryer at say 12.30 Dishwasher 2 and so on. You can also have a system fitted which heats you hot water provided you have an immersion. Costs about £250. I don’t use gas to heat water from March till October so that pays for itself very quickly.
There are quite a few firms that will now do an installation at 0% finance but they do tend to be more expensive.
My system has in 10 years generated 31000 kWh. The technology is now better and considerably lighter plus it also works on all roofs with the exception of north facing. It will work but won’t generate enough for it to be worth your while. Most of the parts have a 10 year guarantee and the panels a 25 yr one. Touch wood mines still all original.

SAJ

OK, when China is buying up vast tracts of land in Africa to exploit the mineral resources, they need to be investing in renewable energy schemes there at the same time. Would that work, do you think?
I would have thought so but I don’t really know. What would help is if the riches countries put their hands in their pockets and made use of the sun in the deserts in Africa, likewise in Australia and the Middle East. A high proportion of the worlds energy needs could be produced using land that nobody really uses.

shmmeee

SAJ

One of the things that bugs me most about some green policies is that there is insufficient focus on reducing the need for energy, it feels like it is accepted that people need so many megawatts when so much could and should be done to improve household insulation
One of the things that bugs me most about some green policies is that there is insufficient focus on reducing the need for energy, it feels like it is accepted that people need so many megawatts when so much could and should be done to improve household insulation
[/
Best post of the day,
You can save more by having the correct amount of insulation and using led’s than anything else.
If anyone is on benefits it worth looking into as you may be able to get loft insulation free.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Big Oil v The world.
3 part documentary started on BBC 2 tonight. The scientific evidence on global warming was there 40 years ago and the oil companies denied it even though their own scientists said otherwise.
Worth watching.

Brighton Sky Blue

Big Oil v The world.
3 part documentary started on BBC 2 tonight. The scientific evidence on global warming was there 40 years ago and the oil companies denied it even though their own scientists said otherwise.
Worth watching.

Also interesting from that time is the stroke of luck we had in choosing fluorine, in CFCs, rather than bromine, in CBCs. Bromine is far better at destroying ozone and had we made the choice to go with those compounds we would probably not have much of an ozone layer remaining at all.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Big Oil v The world.
Worth watching.
Goes to show nothing can be trusted when you add a financial incentive to it. While we cling to it as an outdated measure of success we're even more fucked than we already will be.

djr8369

China fossil fuel usage is due to peak in the next five years, they’re installing more solar per year thanThe US has in total. They’re mostly an agricultural economy with low carbon footprint. Their emissions come from us getting them to build shit.

30% of the energy usage, also 30% of manufacturing output globally.

Pointing at China is just the latest in climate denial TBH.
Absolutely. If I could be bothered I’d share some of China statistics. The amount of renewable they have is staggering, the issue is they’re a developing nation still and manufacture a lot. This will change though.

Could do with them getting off coal quicker but it’s the US which is the issue. Unreal per capita emissions and a political basket case who would happily burn the world to stick it to the libs or something.

djr8369

Green tech is the fastest growing industry in the world, I think I’m correct in saying it already employs more people than the fossil fuel industry in this country. If the Tories are serious about a high skilled high paid work force there’s an industry staring them in the face that they could invest in to achieve that and it will also help them with environmental targets, we also might actually be world beating in something again. Wouldn’t that be a novelty.
We should invest and go for it as the country has very little going for it in the coming decades. We won’t though because the ideology is tax cuts and everyone for themselves.

djr8369

Absolute bollox. I had mine installed 10 years ago took 6 years to break even. Just retired with my lump son bought a system for each of my sons. Cost £5800 per house. Generates 4700 kWh per annum. 4700 times .28p £1316 saving per year before the price of electricity goes up in October. Also get free hot water for 6 months of the year in the 5800.
Is hot water from a solar thermal system or a power diverted heating an immersion tank with spare capacity?

djr8369

TBF @Nick

I also think the council should have a long term project in mind for things like solar and wind. Maybe for the next 5 years, charge each household an extra £5 a month with all the proceeds going into a wind farm on the edge of the city. Have the city supplied by our own energy and slowly expand it until all energy needs are covered in the city and surrounding areas, potentially sell it back to the grid and knock it off the council tax in later years.

Onshore wind is difficult to get planning for and we’re not in a good location for it. Subak has promised to stop it completely I think as part of his campaign?

If the council went with an idea like this they be best to increase/improve the power from residential waste plant or subsidise home solar and batteries storage. Or even a community hot water scheme (these are common in Europe because they make great sense, so of course we’ve never bothered).

djr8369

To those asking how we pay for this stuff how about through similar mechanisms to quantitative easing? Billions created in the last decade or so with no inflation created (until supply side issues hit) and instead of creating an asset bubble we’re creating jobs, increasing skills and building infrastructure which is a benefit for all.

clint van damme

To those asking how we pay for this stuff how about through similar mechanisms to quantitative easing? Billions created in the last decade or so with no inflation created (until supply side issues hit) and instead of creating an asset bubble we’re creating jobs, increasing skills and building infrastructure which is a benefit for all.

Won't somebody think of the tax cuts

Alan Dugdales Moustache

China fossil fuel usage is due to peak in the next five years, they’re installing more solar per year thanThe US has in total. They’re mostly an agricultural economy with low carbon footprint. Their emissions come from us getting them to build shit.

30% of the energy usage, also 30% of manufacturing output globally.

Pointing at China is just the latest in climate denial TBH.
If this first point is true it is absolutely terrible. So for the next 5 years their use of fossil fuel will rise and God knows how slowly it will decline after that. It's catastrophic.
The world will burn.

SAJ

Is hot water from a solar thermal system or a power diverted heating an immersion tank with spare capacity?
Power is diverted. Does everything in the house first then the water then a battery then the car. But you can change the order you want it done any time.

shmmeee

If this first point is true it is absolutely terrible. So for the next 5 years their use of fossil fuel will rise and God knows how slowly it will decline after that. It's catastrophic.
The world will burn.

Then we need to bring in tariffs on Chinese goods that take that into account TBH. Same as workers rights. We act like they’ve got all the power and they have a lot but they’d have much less if we didn’t rely on them for the vast majority of manufacturing cheap shit.

wingy

They need to ban this sensationalist shit.
Express daily puts out insane headlines.
We're gonna get mullered for August yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread