Climate change and activists (2 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
That is not more traffic. That is just cars in different positions on the road.

Yes, causing more traffic jams and stationery cars.

Where the road was effectively the width of 3 lanes so if there was a bus stopped or somebody pulled over you had room to go round. Now you can't.

Take the M6 down to 2 lanes and then have a car broken down in one and see what happens.

shmmeee

Where the road was effectively the width of 3 lanes so if there was a bus stopped or somebody pulled over you had room to go round. Now you can't.

Take the M6 down to 2 lanes and then have a car broken down in one and see what happens.

What do you do on literally every other single lane road?

SAJ

China seem to recognise the economic advantages to be had in developing new ‘green’ technology. The US is still mired in the fossil fuel industry corrupting the lawmakers who could force a shift and shows no sign of changing. Heck a big chunk of them still don’t even accept there’s a problem.
If you look at the largest wind farms the US are right up there.

China has 1
India has 2
Uk has 2
US has 5.
If you look at the worlds largest solar farms
China has 3
India has 5
US has 5
Africa has 4
Mexico 1
UAE 1
This is a global issue, it needs funding by the Richest countries as they generally are the ones who have caused most of this but a question to ask is
Where are Europe in this,
Where is the Middle East
Where is Australia
Australia are opening up new coal mines yet ironically seem to be one of the country’s suffering most from climate change yet haven’t got their head round the amount of sun they receive.
Until the likes of Australia, Russia and Europe start to do this and the most financially rich countries fund Africa little will change.

Nick

Administrator
What do you do on literally every other single lane road?

They were single lane roads, they are now just really thin single lane roads with no room.

Usually if there's a bus stopped for ages, you can nip round it on a single lane road. It's an absolute nightmare when they aren't very wide.

Go through Coundon in rush hour and you will see what I mean.

SBT

Sweeping new environment proposals were sensationally abandoned on Thursday, after delegates failed to reach an agreement at a landmark climate summit. International leaders expressed “dismay”, but said they were unable to overcome obstacles such as the green energy transition, fossil fuel subsidies, and rush hour traffic in Coundon.

Nick

Administrator
Sweeping new environment proposals were sensationally abandoned on Thursday, after delegates failed to reach an agreement at a landmark climate summit. International leaders expressed “dismay”, but said they were unable to overcome obstacles such as the green energy transition, fossil fuel subsidies, and rush hour traffic in Coundon.

It's an example of one scheme being counterproductive (in this instance, not all cycling lanes in the world ever). Looks good for pictures though.

fernandopartridge

If i've got 100g of flour in a container with capacity for 200g and I move that flour to a container with capacity for 150g, is there more flour?

Nick

Administrator
If i've got 100g of flour in a container with capacity for 200g and I move that flour to a container with capacity for 150g, is there more flour?

You are right, there's never traffic on motorways when lanes are closed preventing over-taking.

When was the last time you went down there?

To use your example.

If you have 100g of flour and cut a 1cm hole, it takes much longer to flow out than if you had a 10cm hole.

OffenhamSkyBlue

If you look at the largest wind farms the US are right up there.

China has 1
India has 2
Uk has 2
US has 5.
If you look at the worlds largest solar farms
China has 3
India has 5
US has 5
Africa has 4
Mexico 1
UAE 1
This is a global issue, it needs funding by the Richest countries as they generally are the ones who have caused most of this but a question to ask is
Where are Europe in this,
Where is the Middle East
Where is Australia
Australia are opening up new coal mines yet ironically seem to be one of the country’s suffering most from climate change yet haven’t got their head round the amount of sun they receive.
Until the likes of Australia, Russia and Europe start to do this and the most financially rich countries fund Africa little will change.
OK, when China is buying up vast tracts of land in Africa to exploit the mineral resources, they need to be investing in renewable energy schemes there at the same time. Would that work, do you think?

Nick

Administrator
Also think things like Smart Homes need to be more common.

Yeah it means things are a bit more techy and lazy but it's easy enough to put things on timers and even with GPS so as soon as you leave the house the things you don't need get switched off etc.

Saves a fair bit of money and no left on lights etc.

chiefdave

Big Oil vs The World on BBC 2 tonight at 9pm.

"The story of what the fossil fuel industry knew about climate change more than four decades ago, as scientists working for Exxon reveal how they sounded the alarm about the effects of fossil fuels."

fernandopartridge

You are right, there's never traffic on motorways when lanes are closed preventing over-taking.

When was the last time you went down there?

To use your example.

If you have 100g of flour and cut a 1cm hole, it takes much longer to flow out than if you had a 10cm hole.

Why are you moving the goalposts? You have repeatedly said there is "more traffic", there is not. There is traffic in different positions on the road which may or may not move at different speeds.

Nick

Administrator
Why are you moving the goalposts? You have repeatedly said there is "more traffic", there is not. There is traffic in different positions on the road which may or may not move at different speeds.

I'm not moving anything... I have said all along what the issues are (and on another thread when they were first built)

As I said, when did you last go down there?

skybluejelly

On the subject of oat milk and almond milk , why are they even called milk , just because they are white does not make them milk , I could put white emulsion in my coffee and call it paint milk .. it would still taste just as shit as it does if I put almond or oat milk in it ..( probably should be in things that annoy you thread ) but didn’t want to waste energy retyping this

Marty

TBF @Nick is correct, the traffic used to flow really well down Coundon Road and Barker butts lane, now it's stop start, extra set of traffic lights, side roads are a night mare to pull out from, Bablake school is horrendous around drop off/pick up times. The council have made a right mess of it, but I generally think it's the correct thing to do, they just need to do it properly. I think long term, I think the council would be best off buying all the houses along one side of all the main roads and just knocking them down and buying proper cycle infrastructure.

I also think the council should have a long term project in mind for things like solar and wind. Maybe for the next 5 years, charge each household an extra £5 a month with all the proceeds going into a wind farm on the edge of the city. Have the city supplied by our own energy and slowly expand it until all energy needs are covered in the city and surrounding areas, potentially sell it back to the grid and knock it off the council tax in later years.

Nick

Administrator
TBF @Nick is correct, the traffic used to flow really well down Coundon Road and Barker butts lane, now it's stop start, extra set of traffic lights, side roads are a night mare to pull out from, Bablake school is horrendous around drop off/pick up times. The council have made a right mess of it, but I generally think it's the correct thing to do, they just need to do it properly. I think long term, I think the council would be best off buying all the houses along one side of all the main roads and just knocking them down and buying proper cycle infrastructure.

I also think the council should have a long term project in mind for things like solar and wind. Maybe for the next 5 years, charge each household an extra £5 a month with all the proceeds going into a wind farm on the edge of the city. Have the city supplied by our own energy and slowly expand it until all energy needs are covered in the city and surrounding areas, potentially sell it back to the grid and knock it off the council tax in later years.
I haven't been form Binley road for a while so don't know if that's live yet, the road works were a night mare.

I'm not sure if they are extending it onto sky blue way also,?

shmmeee

It’s a real shame we don’t really build social houses like we used to. You could knock up an estate with ground source heat pump, solar panels on all the roofs and shared battery storage. Along with decent insulation and the bills would be virtually nothing.

Good luck getting Taylor Wimpey to do that though.

Marty

It’s a real shame we don’t really build social houses like we used to. You could knock up an estate with ground source heat pump, solar panels on all the roofs and shared battery storage. Along with decent insulation and the bills would be virtually nothing.

I think these things should be in place by law anyway with new builds. Lets be honest, these are the least on the problems that are wrong with new builds, the standard of work is horrendous.

fernandopartridge

One of the things that bugs me most about some green policies is that there is insufficient focus on reducing the need for energy, it feels like it is accepted that people need so many megawatts when so much could and should be done to improve household insulation

Reactions: SAJ

SAJ

The Government could though. They bottled it a few years back by saying all new houses had to have them installed from 2025. Could have easily brought that forward. Likewise with solar panel or roof. Could make it part of building regs on new property. Would add 5k -10k per house but they would still be sold.

Tommo1993

Depends on how you fuel it. Solar panels do it for free. True you have to spend about 6k on getting them installed but at current electric prices they pay for themselves I. About 6 years.

And if you’re stuck renting properties? How many homes actually have them installed nowadays? Less than 5%?

shmmeee

The Government could though. They bottled it a few years back by saying all new houses had to have them installed from 2025. Could have easily brought that forward. Likewise with solar panel or roof. Could make it part of building regs on new property. Would add 5k -10k per house but they would still be sold.

14 year payback on solar on average, average homeowner stays 12 years, and they’d make some of the increase back on sale anyway. And after 14 years the house is making money. I’d imagine that would come down significantly if installed en masse and as part of the build process.

SAJ

14 year payback on solar on average, average homeowner stays 12 years, and they’d make some of the increase back on sale anyway. And after 14 years the house is making money. I’d imagine that would come down significantly if installed en masse and as part of the build process.
Absolute bollox. I had mine installed 10 years ago took 6 years to break even. Just retired with my lump son bought a system for each of my sons. Cost £5800 per house. Generates 4700 kWh per annum. 4700 times .28p £1316 saving per year before the price of electricity goes up in October. Also get free hot water for 6 months of the year in the 5800.

shmmeee

Absolute bollox. I had mine installed 10 years ago took 6 years to break even. Just retired with my lump son bought a system for each of my sons. Cost £5800 per house. Generates 4700 kWh per annum. 4700 times .28p £1316 saving per year before the price of electricity goes up in October. Also get free hot water for 6 months of the year in the 5800.

Does is actually generate that or is that the number on the box? What sort of real world savings have you had? I was just going off MoneySupermarket I haven’t looked into it.

SAJ

And if you’re stuck renting properties? How many homes actually have them installed nowadays? Less than 5%?
Rented property I would have thought is less than 1%. Would have thought it’s less than 5% for all houses.

NorthernWisdom

Just retired with my lump son
Harsh on your offspring!

Rented property I would have thought is less than 1%. Would have thought it’s less than 5% for all houses.
Yeah a lot of older houses also can't have them fitted - my parents would need a new roof to support the panels. So I guess it's a longer term thing with older houses anyway. But yeah, seems the logical way to generate power - especially if we're getting more sun!!

SAJ

Does is actually generate that or is that the number on the box? What sort of real world savings have you had? I was just going off MoneySupermarket I haven’t looked into it.
It generates that. The system I bought my son including ev charger and hot water was £6500. For a 6kwh system His system generates 43kwh per day at the moment. He has paid £60 for electricity since mid March and that includes him running a EV. His roof faces south so he get the greatest return. My other lad hasn’t got an EV his cost 5800. His roof faces SE he is generating 41kwh a day at the moment. He also paid £5000 to have batteries installed. Electric bill dropped from 5.80 a day to 54p a day. Obviously you only get the maximum figures at this time of the year but even in the winter I generate on a 4 kWh system 4 kWh per day.

SAJ

Harsh on your offspring!

Yeah a lot of older houses also can't have them fitted - my parents would need a new roof to support the panels. So I guess it's a longer term thing with older houses anyway. But yeah, seems the logical way to generate power - especially if we're getting more sun!!
My house is over 100 years old and has them.

clint van damme

When did the tariffs change? They used to be more generous than they are now, perhaps if they'd left them as they were it might have encouraged more people to have them installed.

shmmeee

It generates that. The system I bought my son including ev charger and hot water was £6500. For a 6kwh system His system generates 43kwh per day at the moment. He has paid £60 for electricity since mid March and that includes him running a EV. His roof faces south so he get the greatest return. My other lad hasn’t got an EV his cost 5800. His roof faces SE he is generating 41kwh a day at the moment. He also paid £5000 to have batteries installed. Electric bill dropped from 5.80 a day to 54p a day. Obviously you only get the maximum figures at this time of the year but even in the winter I generate on a 4 kWh system 4 kWh per day.

I only use about 5-6k a day on average. Can you still sell back excess to the grid?

Edit: also where are you based? Midlands?

Users who are viewing this thread