Copthorne Park (1 Viewer)

Adge

Which if planning to be built on will still need permission via the council. The land owner could sell to who ever he likes but before a shovel is put in the ground the council will give the thumbs up or not. They won't be giving the thumbs up to Sisu, that's for sure.

Otis

Which if planning to be built on will still need permission via the council. The land owner could sell to who ever he likes but before a shovel is put in the ground the council will give the thumbs up or not. They won't be giving the thumbs up to Sisu, that's for sure.
True. But we all believe Sisu won't build a new stadium anyway don't we. This would be new owners.

Ashdown

So who exactly would be paying for this multi million pound stadium......please tell me me you are not thinking about our current owners ?!

Ashdown

But surely new owners with money would negotiate to buy a half share in the Ricoh for a fraction of the price ,!

mrtrench

I seriously doubt that Hoffers, if he succeeds, would countenance building on his alma mater's playing fields.

Ashdown

If you had cash you'd want your own ground to forge your own identity.
Depends how much you had though and if the local council would play ball. My guess is CCC and Wasps would be more amenable to a 50/50 split at CV6, which makes sense in many ways to me under present circumstances.

Captain Dart

I seriously doubt that Hoffers, if he succeeds, would countenance building on his alma mater's playing fields.
I thought he went to Bluecoat?

Grendel

Depends how much you had though and if the local council would play ball. My guess is CCC and Wasps would be more amenable to a 50/50 split at CV6, which makes sense in many ways to me under present circumstances.

It would cost £40 million to have half share of ACL - no chance

Otis

Just been up Copthorne Park now and would honestly say it is perfect.

Three sides protected by very large trees. Would all but totally block out a stadium on three full sides.

wingy

Just been up Copthorne Park now and would honestly say it is perfect.

Three sides protected by very large trees. Would all but totally block out a stadium on three full sides.
Here we go then!
Get onto Baden Powell and buy Rough Close, well screened by trees and fairly remote in terms of neighbours who may object? Lol.
Failing that the old Woodlands school site should be large enough for an entire Campus and not really hemmed in regards infrastructure, tight neighbouring streets /properties.
All fantasist prospects of course.

shmmeee

That’s not how planning works. If it’s a legal application it’ll go through. If it doesn’t you can go to court to get it overturned.

NorthernWisdom

That’s not how planning works. If it’s a legal application it’ll go through. If it doesn’t you can go to court to get it overturned.
Indeed, although think it's safe to say it'd be somewhat more challenging than with a council onside, and a borderline case would find it rather harder.

That being said, one way to get fans onside would be to actually throw your planning application in, and then say it was the authority's move... totally redundant until that point.

Irish Sky Blue

I was driving along Tamworth Road today and so stoppped to have a look. I must admit I was really surprised at the size of the park. I knew the Copthorne bit was there as this is visible from the road. I didn't realise that the parkland extends all of the way back up to Waste Lane. My first thoughts were what a shame it would be to build on such a beautiful unspoilt bit of Coventry. It wouldn't just be the stadium footprint but the inevitable road ways to accomodate the traffic a stadium would attract. A stadium for Coventry City would have me in two minds about that site. Anything else being built there and I would be dead against it as it is such a lovely spot. It would certainly be big enough to accommodate "Tim's dream" of stadium, training ground and academy on one site. Maybe a selling point for such a site would be it's value as a community asset.

Last edited:

Gazolba

Played for my school team against Copthorne School on that site. It would need owners who genuinely have the interests of the football club at heart. No chance of that at the moment.
When I was at Caludon, I remember them giving the sports results against Copthorne. As I recall, they beat us at almost everything.

Irish Sky Blue

When I was at Caludon, I remember them giving the sports results against Copthorne. As I recall, they beat us at almost everything.
I went to Binley Park. We used to lose every game we played against Caludon! We did beat Copthorne however as I remember. Two schools long since gone.

Corrado

is this where you are thinking?

Pretty much Ricoh sq footage

Attachments

• stadium.jpg
    stadium.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Otis

Yeah, but it's also where those three trees are to the left as well. That extends all the way up to Coundon Park.

Hobo

If you bought Woodlands you could get about 4 stadiums on it. So stadium, large car park and large housing development to help fund it.

Also railway station nearby.

Gazolba

True. But we all believe Sisu won't build a new stadium anyway don't we. This would be new owners.
If SISU find land suitable for a stadium, they will buy it and then sell it for housing. Far more profitable.

Liquid Gold

Nobody in their right mind would buy half a share in the Ricoh when there is a a huge bond deal that needs to be sorted in the next few years.

chiefdave

Nobody in their right mind would buy half a share in the Ricoh when there is a a huge bond deal that needs to be sorted in the next few years.
Even if you have the money why buy now rather than wait to see what happens when repayment is due? With Brexit and Trump around things could be very different then and you don't know how that will impact on the economy. Even if they are performing OK its not guaranteed they'll be able to refinance to pay back the bonds.

Skyblueweeman

If SISU find land suitable for a stadium, they will buy it and then sell it for housing. Far more profitable.

If they were that way inclined, why not just fulfil that model in numerous sites across the UK? I don't buy this 'if they find land for a stadium, they'd sell it for housing'. Coventry isn't the only place in the UK that has land suitable for housing. Why not just buy land elsewhere and sell for housing in other locations if that's what they wanted to do??

Users who are viewing this thread