Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (19 Viewers)

Skybluefaz

you guys make laugh. Follow guidance when it suits. scientists at the start said masks don’t work. But yet have to wear mask everywhere

giphy.gif

Brighton Sky Blue

you guys make laugh. Follow guidance when it suits. scientists at the start said masks don’t work. But yet have to wear mask everywhere

The guidance was always that mask wearing was thought to prevent you transmitting it to others. If you’re thinking of Dr Fauci, he admitted that he lied about it so that people wouldn’t exhaust supplies for use in hospitals

Sky Blue Pete

I understand not closing things down that are necessary. So you could argue for schools, universities, workplaces that are required for life to continue, parks, gyms etc etc etc.

What I fear is that nothing has changed for pretty much everyone bar Liverpool area and the infection rate has exploded and will continue to do so. Why not add a ban on household mixing indoors to the rule of 6 if you want to keep schools unis and pubs open? Starmer is right on message when he asks what’s the plan? How will we get things back to the summer. This is a hold and wait approach that even chris whitty said won’t be enough to work on its own. What did he mean?

All the measures do yesterday is to make a complete lockdown more likely and the infection consequences potentially more deadly for more people unnecessarily

Nick

Administrator
Without trying to figure out all the coded bullshit they put out.

Can I still play football on Friday and have a couple of beers after?

NorthernWisdom

understand not closing things down that are necessary. So you could argue for schools, universities, workplaces that are required for life to continue, parks, gyms etc etc etc.
The thing is, they're the main places for infection. A short sharp closure to reign back is surely logical? As you say, we're heading towards total lockdown for longer at this rate, and that's not productive.

Saddlebrains

They've fucked this right up. Can anyone see any semblance of normality anytime soon because i fucking cant.

Just want to go watch us play in the championship with my kids ffs

djr8369

I think he'll be forced to eventually... no doubt too late.

Then he'll complain about the virus killing the economy, when swifter action would have been less devastating
It’s quite incredible how we can’t lockdown to save lives because we need to save the economy yet a no deal brexit that will certainly damage the economy and could cost lives is worth it. I think that’s called double think.

We have learnt nothing from the first wave or the actions of other countries. In a few weeks I suspect we will have the choice of national lockdown or leaving people to die. It will need to be a long lockdown to get cases down, running into Christmas causing huge damage as spending plummets.

CCFCSteve

The thing is, they're the main places for infection. A short sharp closure to reign back is surely logical? As you say, we're heading towards total lockdown for longer at this rate, and that's not productive.

I agree NW, a closure of unis (and to some extent schools - I think most schools will be breaking up this/next week anyway) would probably reduce rates far quicker than the new measures, but Id also imagine as soon as they reopen they’ll be another spike. Also, with unis you’ve got the problem of the students potentially returning home. I even wonder if a more extensive lockdown had been implemented a week or two back (after uni had restarted) those same students could’ve spread it even quicker around the country by returning home (not blaming them at all by the way !).

im just hoping the case numbers continue to settle back down a bit (I think they have in Spain with limited restrictions - however I’m guessing their climate might help ie more people meeting outside than indoors)

We can only hope !

djr8369

Most people called that out as political bulls shit due to a lack of PPE at the time. The scientists never said masks don’t work, they said they were of limited effectiveness. It was the conspiracy nuts and Trump who said they don’t work.

djr8369

They've fucked this right up. Can anyone see any semblance of normality anytime soon because i fucking cant.

Just want to go watch us play in the championship with my kids ffs
Just a few months ago Bojo was saying things would be nearly normal by Christmas. It can’t be that the saviour of Brexit is actually a fucking idiot? Can it..?

Sky Blue Pete

The counter argument is it delays what is coming and doesn’t stop it happening. I don’t understand that though as if that’s the case what’s the point of doing anything if it’s going to happen anyway unless it stops the nhs falling apart of course

CCFCSteve

The counter argument is it delays what is coming and doesn’t stop it happening. I don’t understand that though as if that’s the case what’s the point of doing anything if it’s going to happen anyway unless it stops the nhs falling apart of course

I honestly think that’s all it can be Pete ie manage NHS capacity, unless they know some kind of vaccine (and/or better treatments) is on its way so minimising impact until then.

Sky Blue Pete

I honestly think that’s all it can be Pete ie manage NHS capacity, unless they know some kind of vaccine (and/or better treatments) is on its way so minimising impact until then.
Which I’m happy for someone to say as I would understand that but explain it and tell me the benefits of doing it and the consequences of doing it. I’m still convinced that worldwide more people will die of poverty than the virus. In fact someone put a meme on Facebook about the starvation virus killing millions every year, the vaccine being food but because this doesn’t happen in rich countries ( although we are trying) the drive to eradicate it wanes. Don’t get me wrong Bojo is a clown and I’m almost certain leaders in his own party would have done better and I’m certain keir would have done. It’s about clear communication and decisiveness

CCFCSteve

Which I’m happy for someone to say as I would understand that but explain it and tell me the benefits of doing it and the consequences of doing it. I’m still convinced that worldwide more people will die of poverty than the virus. In fact someone put a meme on Facebook about the starvation virus killing millions every year, the vaccine being food but because this doesn’t happen in rich countries ( although we are trying) the drive to eradicate it wanes. Don’t get me wrong Bojo is a clown and I’m almost certain leaders in his own party would have done better and I’m certain keir would have done. It’s about clear communication and decisiveness

Cant disagree with a lot of that mate. But you can see on here how the country is divided...some want stricter lockdown, otherwise want to best protect those most at risk and everyone else get on with life.

Massive balancing act but as you say it’s important that people understand what the bigger picture/plan is and that’s just not coming across at the moment, hence there’s little ‘buy in’ from either side

djr8369

Cant disagree with a lot of that mate. But you can see on here how the country is divided...some want stricter lockdown, otherwise want to best protect those most at risk and everyone else get on with life.

Massive balancing act but as you say it’s important that people understand what the bigger picture/plan is and that’s just not coming across at the moment, hence there’s little ‘buy in’ from either side
The public support stricter measures according to latest polling. It’s a loud, well funded minority talking about fewer restrictions and shielding the elderly only.

The other issue is you can’t have a balancing act between these two completely different strategies. Trying to do so is partly why we have handled it so poorly. You need to pick a strategy and ensure it’s consistent and coherent.

Admittedly, partly why Johnson is trying to straddle both is that so many of his MPs want to take a different approach and he has to be careful of rebellion. Of course, that is his fault because he purged the party of moderates and filled it with frothing Brexiters to help win a bigger majority so he could mould Brexit. The country is now paying the price for this short sighted behaviour. People are dying because a unserious narcissist took power any way he could and yet he still has 40% approval and most of those people support him unconditionally.

Sky Blue Pete

I’m probably saying I have sympathy for our leaders as this is a shitstorm and I don’t think many would swap places. However ffs come on make a decision stop pansying around at the edges while Chris Whitty clearly thinks more should be done

Leicester went into stricter measures way below our current level.

I’m happy to still go to the gym but I fear for the consequences to me being selfish

shmmeee

I’m probably saying I have sympathy for our leaders as this is a shitstorm and I don’t think many would swap places. However ffs come on make a decision stop pansying around at the edges while Chris Whitty clearly thinks more should be done

Leicester went into stricter measures way below our current level.

I’m happy to still go to the gym but I fear for the consequences to me being selfish

A well toned Pete is a benefit to society Pete ;)

chiefdave

The public support stricter measures according to latest polling. It’s a loud, well funded minority talking about fewer restrictions and shielding the elderly only.

The other issue is you can’t have a balancing act between these two completely different strategies. Trying to do so is partly why we have handled it so poorly. You need to pick a strategy and ensure it’s consistent and coherent.
Its needs a clear and coherent strategy that is actually 'following the science' so that when the government or experts are questioned they can back up what they are doing and justify it. Couple that of clear explanations of why we're doing things and even at this stage with the amount of confidence lost in those in charge I still think the vast majority would do as instructed.

The problem is the messaging is all over the place, the experts clearly don't agree and they can't justify many of their decisions as they'd have to admit they are prioritising the economy over peoples lives.

When you see reports like this you can take a good guess at what is really driving the decision making process.

skybluetony176

What happened to the circuit breaker ?
I mean it made it out of bunker?
Rishi pulling the strings now?
There’s been a rumour flying around for a while now that Rishi Sunak is to be Rishi Soon Axed. Apparently his general air of competence is making the rest of them look stupid so he has to go. Took it with a pinch of salt but they do seem to be hanging him out to dry on this one so maybe there’s something in it after all.

Users who are viewing this thread