Match Thread Coventry City at Crewe Alexandra Match Thread - Saturday 17th Mar (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

I thought we did really well today. Once again much more build up play and slide rule passes etc and when we dis hoof kch and mcnulty harried defenfe to make them menacing

Bayliss was brilliant as was his replacement kelly. I just hope bayliss not badly injured or anything

Every1 had a good game to be fair. Macdobald and hyam have stepped up tongive us a solid defence at a hugely important time ans grimmer got to bylibe really well today

Mcnuktt possibly at fault for theirngoal. He could passed to jch but ibstrad turned ibtontraffic and got tackled. If that was nazon a thread would be made with screenshots lol

Vincebte also his best game in a long long time and reid lookes threatening

Only LOB eho still looks shaky and haynes defensivly wouldnr get same high marks but they did ok

We could have had 4 or 5 goals today. Inpressive

Some good resukts for us too so lets keep gaining on 2nd ans 3rd and see how season pans out. 1 game at a time

PUSB

Hobo

Good win and a much needed away win. That's where we have to improve on the road

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Apologies for the lack of updates today, and if anyone asked me any questions mid game! I didn’t reload the web page at any stage incase it took 20 hours to get back to it like it did before the game started!

Got to say, Kelly had a great game when he came on! Best I’ve seen from him in a while

Shame Bayliss went off but get why. No point in risking longer term damage for the sake of 45 minutes when we had replacements available, even if I was initially a bit cagey about Kelly replacing him.

Vincenti was pretty anonymous and when he needed to get involved he often didn’t

JCH again worked very hard and deserved his goal, despite what the press association say; it was his!

Still worry about Haynes’ ability to defend, especially headers, although admittedly the goal came from Grimmers man being unmarked today.

Mcdonald and Hyam, superb!

O’Brien has a decent game. So easy for keepers to shut off when they aren’t involved much but he did everything asked of him today. Even Robins commented on how the save seconds before the goal was ‘world class’. If De Gea has made Atleast 2 of his saves today someone somewhere in the TV or newspaper world would be having a love in over them!

Pleased to get another 3 points on the table!

Esoterica

5 games unbeaten and now our longest unbeaten run of the season. Brilliant time to put this run together and other teams are starting to look over their shoulders at us in fear. The amount of goals we have scored inside the first 15 mins with Bayliss through the middle is nuts. Must be close to 75% of his matches there at a guess.

Mucca Mad Boys

5 games unbeaten and now our longest unbeaten run of the season. Brilliant time to put this run together and other teams are starting to look over their shoulders at us in fear. The amount of goals we have scored inside the first 15 mins with Bayliss through the middle is nuts. Must be close to 75% of his matches there at a guess.

This is the business end of the season. Portsmouth really kicked it up a gear in the last 10-11 games and we have to do the same. The gap on Notts County is 5, with a game in hand and we’re 1-2 results from overtaking either Mansfield or Wycombe, with Exeter seemingly keen on imploding any advantages they had. On paper, our run in is favourable than our rivals and we’ve got big games against Lincoln and Notts County. I can’t believe how quickly results have turned around and I really believe autos can be achieved.

I think we need to keep the team unchanged because imo, it’s the best we can field at this point in time.

Last edited:

Otis

Shocking in some ways that this is the first time we have had an unbesunb run past 4 games this season, but what a time to do it.

We go unbeaten now until the end of the season we surely will bag a play off spot.

Otis

This is the business end of the season. Portsmouth really kicked it up a gear in the last 10-11 games and we have to do the same. The gap on Notts County is 5, with a game in hand and we’re one result overtaking either Mansfield or Wycombe, with Exeter seemingly keen on imploding any advantages they had. On paper, our run in is favourable than our rivals and we’ve got big games against Lincoln and Notts County. I can’t believe how quickly results have turned around and I really believe autos can be achieved.

I think we need to keep the team unchanged because imo, it’s the best we can field at this point in time.
We can overtake Mansfield, Mucca, but are 5 points behind Wycombe. Still need Wycombe to drop a few points here and there.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Only just seen the tweet with the attendance. To announce the match day attendance after 39 minutes shows how poorly supported Crewe are (although they aren’t alone in this drab league), yet shows what a faithful bunch we have following CCFC

Also, don’t believe there was that many Crewe

39' - ATTENDANCE: 4,666 with 1,539 #SkyBlues supporters! Thank you to all those who travelled this afternoon! #PUSB

wingy

Only just seen the tweet with the attendance. To announce the match day attendance after 39 minutes shows how poorly supported Crewe are (although they aren’t alone in this drab league), yet shows what a faithful bunch we have following CCFC

39' - ATTENDANCE: 4,666 with 1,539 #SkyBlues supporters! Thank you to all those who travelled this afternoon! #PUSB
Could have had a thousand more if they opened up behind the goal.

Mucca Mad Boys

We can overtake Mansfield, Mucca, but are 5 points behind Wycombe. Still need Wycombe to drop a few points here and there.

My mistake, I shall correct it!

5pts is nothing to catch up on. We have 9 games left; 5 are in the lower half of the table, Grimsby look in trouble, Yeovil, Morecambe, Stevenage and Cheltenham could be all but safe before we play them. Also, Newport and Crawley look like they’ve left it too late to make playoffs. So roughly 5-6 teams of the 9 games left possibly will have nothing to play for whatsoever. Then we have Lincoln at home, and Notts County away.

In contrast, Mansfield, Notts County (and Carlisle) have to play Luton. Mansfield, Notts County, Swindon, Lincoln, Wycombe and Exeter all have to play Accrington. Wycombe also have to play Notts County and Lincoln. Lincoln have Exeter, Carlisle and us. Exeter also have Swindon. Swindon also play Carlisle. These teams will drop points somewhere. We can probably afford to draw against Notts County or Lincoln so long as we take care of results elsewhere. I do think we are well poised to finish the season very strongly compared to our rivals.

Last edited:

SkyBlueSoul

So glad I chose to head down for this, cracking game! We were clearly the better team and most chances they had was through us giving them the ball. I put McNulty at fault for the first goal at the time but looking back through the rose tinted vision of a win I'd rather have a striker who has 17 goals and is greedy to score more. Yes, he absolutely should have passed it, but the ball still had to get to the other end of the pitch and be nodded in by an unmarked man so I'll let him off.

O'Brien was brilliant in goal, I can think of one kick he put in to touch but other than that I couldn't fault him and those 2 saves he made were world class. The defence held firm on the odd occasion Crewe got forward and during the aerial bombardment at the end. Watching Bayliss glide forwards with ease at times was a joy to watch and he took his goal well. Kelly did a great job after replacing him, showed what he can do when the shackles are off. Doyler was Doyler - putting his foot in and making a nuisance of himself, anchored the midfield. JCH and Sparky were tireless and a handful up front, no rest for the Crewe defence. JCH showed great pace and power for his goal.

I'm gonna include the SBA - who deserve a medal - in my appraisal because it was fucking cold in that stand and the wind was horrible. For about 5 minutes after the Crewe goal it went a bit quiet, but other than that it was loud, it was proud and it was Sky Blue. PUSB

Johnnythespider

Although the playoffs are the most likely route to promotion, it would be great to get to the last game with a chance of the automatics, it's a big ask but not impossible. I think we can do it, apart from Accrington the teams above us are all dropping points, the Notts and Lincoln games are huge. I never thought I would utter the words playing Lincoln is huge.

Otis

If we lose against Notts County that would be any chance of automatic promotion pretty much gone you would think.

Johhny Blue

Didn't you see the steward walking around taking attendance

Mucca Mad Boys

If we lose against Notts County that would be any chance of automatic promotion pretty much gone you would think.

Not necessarily, have you seen how difficult their run in is? They got to play; Wycombe, Stanley, us consecutively and end their season at home to Luton.

Last edited:

Otis

Not at all, have you seen how difficult their run in is? They got to play; Wycombe, Stanley, us consecutively and end their season at home to Luton.
It's possible, but I would say we cannot afford to lose to a team that is above us in the table.

If they are still above us when we play them that would obviously put them a further three points clear of us.

Otis

Just checked and their next three matches are against Chesterfield, Wycombe at home and Accrington.

Unless we win our three next matches they will surely still be ahead of us by the time we play them and like I say, that pushes them a further three points clear of us with a win.

Otis

Let's say they lose against both Wycombe and Accrington. A win against lowly Chesterfield would mean we would have to win all our next three games to overtake them.

You also have to bear in mind, if they lose against Wycombe that is a further three points nabbed for Wycombe and we obviously have to catch them too.

So we lose against Notts County that is three points gained on us by them and obviously even a draw for Wycombe against whoever they are playing would result in a point gained by them on us too.

wingy

Wycombe have what appears to be an easy run in you'd hope Accrington do them Lincoln too, County possibly then we do our business to overhaul the three of them.

rupert_bear

Lots of points to be won and lost, looking at all the fixture permitations involving our rivals you would put our chances as good as any. But there will be points dropped on the way by all

Cov kid 55

So glad I chose to head down for this, cracking game! We were clearly the better team and most chances they had was through us giving them the ball. I put McNulty at fault for the first goal at the time but looking back through the rose tinted vision of a win I'd rather have a striker who has 17 goals and is greedy to score more. Yes, he absolutely should have passed it, but the ball still had to get to the other end of the pitch and be nodded in by an unmarked man so I'll let him off.

O'Brien was brilliant in goal, I can think of one kick he put in to touch but other than that I couldn't fault him and those 2 saves he made were world class. The defence held firm on the odd occasion Crewe got forward and during the aerial bombardment at the end. Watching Bayliss glide forwards with ease at times was a joy to watch and he took his goal well. Kelly did a great job after replacing him, showed what he can do when the shackles are off. Doyler was Doyler - putting his foot in and making a nuisance of himself, anchored the midfield. JCH and Sparky were tireless and a handful up front, no rest for the Crewe defence. JCH showed great pace and power for his goal.

I'm gonna include the SBA - who deserve a medal - in my appraisal because it was fucking cold in that stand and the wind was horrible. For about 5 minutes after the Crewe goal it went a bit quiet, but other than that it was loud, it was proud and it was Sky Blue. PUSB
Spot on! An excellent performance, deserved more goals, but although you can never be sure at 2-1, they didn’t pressurise us that much. You could see how they like to play football, keeping it on the floor, but they lacked a cutting edge. Our central defenders were very strong, won everything they went for. I thought we were strong across the pitch, the work rate was excellent, and we played some decent football. Also, well done to the Sky Blue army, excellent support today!

Mucca Mad Boys

Just checked and their next three matches are against Chesterfield, Wycombe at home and Accrington.

Unless we win our three next matches they will surely still be ahead of us by the time we play them and like I say, that pushes them a further three points clear of us with a win.

If we win our next 3, we will either be level on points or ahead of them I suspect. It’s a game I’d take a draw in and a win would be a huge bonus. Obviously, a loss would be bad, but that alone wouldn’t take us out of the mix necessarily as they have one less game to play - and half their games are against their direct rivals. I’d say, Wycombe are the team we need to keep an eye out for. As I say, we need to take care of our own results first, and the rest will take care of itself. We should aim to remain unbeaten for the rest of the season.

As Coventry City supporters, Accrington Stanley should be our secondary teams for the rest of the season! 6 of their last 9 are against our direct rivals! They and Luton could pave the way the way for us to nick an automatic spot!

Users who are viewing this thread