Coventry City fans to discuss possibility of supporter-led takeover (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

Why then, considering the alleged potential of the club, was there only one serious bidder in 2007 where the vague offer of half of the Ricoh was still on the table? Anyone know?

Sky Blue Kid

As far as anyone can tell money isn't being taken out so as I see it increasing the crowds does two things:

1) increases the money coming in to the club therefore giving us more to spend. Sure when it comes to it that might not happen but that's a fight to have then rather than just dismissing the idea on the basis of something that may or may not happen.

2) makes us more attractive to potential new owners. If people see good crowds they are more likely to be interested. Its all well and good saying people know crowds will come back if SISU don't but how does anyone, particularly non-CCFC fans who haven't followed things closely, know that. Its basically Ranson's plan repeated. He thought he'd come in, sign some players and crowds would increase. When they didn't his plan fell apart.
Ranson signed 2 players, then promptly sold them the following close season. (Dann and Fox)

Sky Blue Kid

So when our crowds were bigger (in the championship) our budget wasn't bigger than now?
Would you like me to explain it to you?.... Every season since they took charge, the budget has deteriorated. After our best finish in over 40+ years under Mowbray the budget increased dramatically.... Did it fuck!!! IT DROPPED!!!................Again!.....Very strange eh? averaging 14k-15k crowds for the "WHOLE season. Don't you think it would have gone up on the strength of those crowds???

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

I'm convinced there was a bit of third party ownership involved in those deals even though it wasn't allowed, I've a good idea who as well.
Or was it Ranson's 3rd party financing company?

Tim Flowers was taking credit for scouting and signing Fox and Dann, I don't think Ranson deserves much credit for it as it wasn't his idea.

Generally Midfield

Yes the hospitality stands out - it would be interesting to see the matching direct costs - so do a number of other things I pointed to

However the one figure that stuck in my mind was the wages costs that were 5.1m in L2 and they still broke even on the profit & loss.

Entirely different set up I know and yes they have had assistance financial and otherwise but the "fans" seem to be doing a decent job in safeguarding their team so far .

A fans buy out for CCFC has four problems above all
- getting a willing seller at a realistic price
- raising the money from fans or partners
- the creating working capital once they have control
- managing the expectations that CCFC is a big club when in reality it can not afford to be for the immediate future (3 or 4 years at least)

Plenty of problems to overcome but worth exploring ........ probably works best with high net worth partners and buying out of administration..... important thing is to be in a state of readiness in case the club existence really does become an issue, a safety net

Presumably having people of the calibre of oldskyblue58 is also important (as opposed to people best known for dodgy twitter accounts and welcoming a southern rugby franchise into our stadium!)

Sky Blue Kid

Or was it Ranson's 3rd party financing company?

Tim Flowers was taking credit for scouting and signing Fox and Dann, I don't think Ranson deserves much credit for it as it wasn't his idea.
Ian Dowie's brother deserves that honour FP. He was the scout to Dowie. Ian Dowie was at "The Bescott" till midnight to make sure the deal went through

clint van damme

I was in an indian restaurant on the table next to a local businessman and so called city supporter with links to the club who seemed really happy about the sale of Fox, (it wasn't announced until the next day and this was the first we'd heard of it). Strange behaviour for a supporter unless he was getting something out of it.

shy_tall_knight

Yes the hospitality stands out - it would be interesting to see the matching direct costs - so do a number of other things I pointed to

However the one figure that stuck in my mind was the wages costs that were 5.1m in L2 and they still broke even on the profit & loss.

Entirely different set up I know and yes they have had assistance financial and otherwise but the "fans" seem to be doing a decent job in safeguarding their team so far .

A fans buy out for CCFC has four problems above all
- getting a willing seller at a realistic price
- raising the money from fans or partners
- the creating working capital once they have control
- managing the expectations that CCFC is a big club when in reality it can not afford to be for the immediate future (3 or 4 years at least)

Plenty of problems to overcome but worth exploring ........ probably works best with high net worth partners and buying out of administration..... important thing is to be in a state of readiness in case the club existence really does become an issue, a safety net

I think Pompey are still paying off wages to players from the Premier League era

rondog1973

As far as anyone can tell money isn't being taken out so as I see it increasing the crowds does two things:

1) increases the money coming in to the club therefore giving us more to spend. Sure when it comes to it that might not happen but that's a fight to have then rather than just dismissing the idea on the basis of something that may or may not happen.

2) makes us more attractive to potential new owners. If people see good crowds they are more likely to be interested. Its all well and good saying people know crowds will come back if SISU don't but how does anyone, particularly non-CCFC fans who haven't followed things closely, know that. Its basically Ranson's plan repeated. He thought he'd come in, sign some players and crowds would increase. When they didn't his plan fell apart.
Point 1 relies on trust Dave. Good luck with that.

Point 2, what timescale do you think Ranson was given to achieve promotion? Seems to me Sisu panicked, Ranson was fired and plan b was rolled out to disastrous effect.

CJ_covblaze

Will be broadcasting the meeting live on Periscope tonight. Just go on my Twitter profile and it'll be on there.

Grendel

Point 1 relies on trust Dave. Good luck with that.

Point 2, what timescale do you think Ranson was given to achieve promotion? Seems to me Sisu panicked, Ranson was fired and plan b was rolled out to disastrous effect.

Ranson resigned after the football league started investigating his loans to another club while still chairman of ours

ccfchoi87

Would you like me to explain it to you?.... Every season since they took charge, the budget has deteriorated. After our best finish in over 40+ years under Mowbray the budget increased dramatically.... Did it fuck!!! IT DROPPED!!!................Again!.....Very strange eh? averaging 14k-15k crowds for the "WHOLE season. Don't you think it would have gone up on the strength of those crowds???

No because the ticket prices were way Lower were they not? We also never hit amazing crowds last year did we. We had one or two over 15k and that's it. Our average attendance was actually 12k. Unfortunately they made a massive error with ticketing prices. Maybe if Mowbray hadn't fucked up, we'd have got promoted and this wouldn't be such an issue

Sky Blue Kid

No acrimony between he and Sisu then?

Depends what you believe happened mate. According to Ranson he offered his resignation not once, but twice. The first time Hoffman talked him out of it, but he(Ranson) claimed he'd had enough of SISU selling players and finally resigned because of that.... Grenduffy thinks differently.

chiefdave

The prices were massively reduced last year.

Sky Blue Kid

No because the ticket prices were way Lower were they not? We also never hit amazing crowds last year did we. We had one or two over 15k and that's it. Our average attendance was actually 12k. Unfortunately they made a massive error with ticketing prices. Maybe if Mowbray hadn't fucked up, we'd have got promoted and this wouldn't be such an issue

Gillingham..15.5k
Oldham......15.5k
Port Vale....over 17.5k
Walsall.....over 15.5k
Burton.....over17k
Sheff Utd..13k
When the "Ticketgate" came about, fans didn't like the "Goalposts" being moved and combined with that appallingly shit run we went on starting towards the end of November the gates dropped to around 11k-12.5k with two wins in twelve games throughout December, January, till February 13th when we smashed Bury 6-0.

Grendel

Depends what you believe happened mate. According to Ranson he offered his resignation not once, but twice. The first time Hoffman talked him out of it, but he(Ranson) claimed he'd had enough of SISU selling players and finally resigned because of that.... Grenduffy thinks differently.

Why was he loaning Cardiff city money on high interest rates to buy players while chairman do you think?

Is that something a person of integrity would do in your opinion?

chiefdave

12,570 last season, 9,332 the season before. Tickets £18-20 last season, £22-27 season before.

Do you think ticket revenues were more last season or the season before?

Nick

Administrator
Good lad, will try and load it up shortly!

Can Sw88 do updates throughout in case I need to move away from Computer?

torchomatic

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

12,570 last season, 9,332 the season before. Tickets £18-20 last season, £22-27 season before.

Regardless, I attended the former extremely regularly and have attended the latter almost not at all. Cost is a bigger factor than squad and form for me.

Not really making any worthwile point, just thought I'd interefere in the thread and put my two pence in.

Sky Blue Kid

Why was he loaning Cardiff city money on high interest rates to buy players while chairman do you think?

Is that something a person of integrity would do in your opinion?

Why were SISU reneging on making £20m available for players to "Take the Football Club forward"?
What good would resigning from Coventry City fc do with regards to the "Loans" to Cardiff City fc"?...It certainly wouldn't get him off any charges should they be proven would it?
Is shitting on the fans of Coventry City fc. by SISU something a business of integrity would do in your opinion?

Sky Blue Kid

Do you think you're more of a condescending prick, this season, or last season?

torchomatic

Users who are viewing this thread