Match Thread Coventry City - Maidenhead United Match Thread - Sunday 5th Nov (1 Viewer)

lifeskyblue

How unlike is...a solid performance against lower league opposition and a comfortable win.
How many times over the years has this type of fixture been our banana skin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevefloyd

Yeah its bloody cool here they never turned the fans down huh having to drink beer listenibg to a band and having to watch scantily clad women dance

clint van damme

thought Maycock played well when he came on.
Loved Jordan Ps work rate and he obviously knows where the goal is, (bloody missed the 2nd goal!). Doesn't look great with his back to goal which is fair enough, not all strikers are.
Robins has a selection dilemma for Saturday but I've a feeling JP will be on the bench.

stupot07

Good solid result and performance. Could have really put them to the sword had we made better decisions in the final third.

Pleased for Ponti.

Tom Davies, Doyle, Grimmer and Ponti thr pick of the bunch.

Jones is so frustrating.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

Busy decorating today. Good result considering how poor we've been in the cups, I think we're far more resilient than any of the teams of recent years

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Gazolba

Anyone still think Ponticelli is too young, not ready, and needs to be protected?

skybluegod

Stokes can also play there and Hyam as well to come in.

Davies, Hyam, McDonald..........Wonder where all these guys were when Mowbray was looking last year :)

The standard between league one and two is massive. So far can only say McDonald would be able to step up for sure, and he wasn’t available then.

skybluegod

thought Maycock played well when he came on.
Loved Jordan Ps work rate and he obviously knows where the goal is, (bloody missed the 2nd goal!). Doesn't look great with his back to goal which is fair enough, not all strikers are.
Robins has a selection dilemma for Saturday but I've a feeling JP will be on the bench.

Agree Ponti will be rested on Tuesday and start on saturday.
It will be largely the same team that started against Walsall on Tuesday, but Biamou in for McNulty I would expect.

Grendel

massive ?

It’s a significant gulf. You can see that with our team which has hardly any league one achievers yet is fairly strong in this league.

Hobo

Robins states Kelly out injured "he has a problem"

at no point did Martin @ CWR think to ask what was up with him and for how long out ?

I doubt even Robins would know the answer at this stage even if asked. Considering Robins stated it in the first place he was free to give any additional information without probing surely? Local media needs relationships with the club, bullish interviews are not the way to cultivate that type of relationship.

Last edited:

Hobo

Anyone still think Ponticelli is too young, not ready, and needs to be protected?

Nobody has said he isn't ready, people have just been happy to let Robins do his job and pick the right moments to develop him. Yes he does need to be protected.

Rich

Ponticellis touch was poor at times and he showed his lack of experience. But his positioning and finishing for both goals were outstanding.
I have a problem with mcnulty, doesn't seem to be in the right place at the right time and his touch was so bad the ball hits his foot and flicks up for handball. Definitely seemed better on the wing with Ponticelli in the middle as he seemed to enjoy the freedom.

ceetee

Ponticelli will be a good player and he took his chances very well. Significant though that he was unmarked for both goals. The downside is that he rarely wins the ball and is too easily beaten by physical defenders. Hopefully that will improve with games but is a reason why he needs to be protected and not thrown in at the deep end.

torchomatic

Ponticellis touch was poor at times and he showed his lack of experience. But his positioning and finishing for both goals were outstanding.
I have a problem with mcnulty, doesn't seem to be in the right place at the right time and his touch was so bad the ball hits his foot and flicks up for handball. Definitely seemed better on the wing with Ponticelli in the middle as he seemed to enjoy the freedom.

I disagree regarding McNulty. I thought he played well and was unlucky not to score. same with Biamou. I think he deserves a goal.

Sbarcher

Never mind the game, have Jimmy’s rips been sorted.?

skybluegod

Wouldn’t he have been available? Didn’t play much for Northampton iirc?

He started off the season I think? Then dropped out soon after. So wasn’t available either till very late in summer, or January at best? And by that point it was too late

Otis

I doubt even Robins would know the answer at this stage even if asked. Considering Robins stated it in the first place he was free to give any additional information without probing surely? Local media needs relationships with the club, bullish interviews are not the way to cultivate that type of relationship.
Personally I see no problem with asking a manager if he has any idea how long a player may be out for.

I can't see that, that is any way being bullish.

Just a common sense question. 'What's the injury?' And 'How long do you think he my be out for?' I would say are perfectly reasonable things to ask from any interviewer to any manager.

shmmeee

It’s Maidenhead not Manchester United.
He’s doing well, and he deserves his place in the team, Robins had managed him well, and I trust him to continue to do so. But he will need protecting and nurturing at some point, as He will have a bad run.

Teams we play in L2 are closer to Maidenhead than Man Utd.

ccfcway

bullish ?

MR "Kelly is injured"
MW "Really, that's a shame, any news at this stage if it's serious or how long he maybe out for ?"

how would that be bullish ?

fatso

It’s Maidenhead not Manchester United.
He’s doing well, and he deserves his place in the team, Robins had managed him well, and I trust him to continue to do so. But he will need protecting and nurturing at some point, as He will have a bad run.
Well why the fuck did Robbins not protect and nurture the other strikers we have, you know, the ones who couldn't score for toffee.
I have to disagree about how he's been used, there's a difference between easing a young player into the squad gently, and just refusing to use him out of pure pig headed stubbornness, imho Robbins is guilty of the latter.
In the end Robbins ran out of excuses, and was left with no alternative but to play him, or else the fans would have eventually turned on him. Let's not forget if it wasn't for injuries and unavailability, he'd still be waiting his chance.
I'm sure he'll require resting a few times between now and the end of the season to keep him sharp and fresh, but he should now be a regular in the starting line up.

skybluegod

Well why the fuck did Robbins not protect and nurture the other strikers we have, you know, the ones who couldn't score for toffee.
I have to disagree about how he's been used, there's a difference between easing a young player into the squad gently, and just refusing to use him out of pure pig headed stubbornness, imho Robbins is guilty of the latter.
In the end Robbins ran out of excuses, and was left with no alternative but to play him, or else the fans would have eventually turned on him. Let's not forget if it wasn't for injuries and unavailability, he'd still be waiting his chance.
I'm sure he'll require resting a few times between now and the end of the season to keep him sharp and fresh, but he should now be a regular in the starting line up.

Because they have been In the professional set more than 2 seasons.
You can think that that’s your opinion and fair enough. But I don’t agree it’s stubborness, he eased him in, slowly incorporated him into the squad, and you are wrong, he didn’t get his chance through injuries, he got it because he earnt it, he started against Luton, over beavon, nazon and Biamou, not injured.
I think he should be a regular as long as he performs, not because he has potential. He will need protecting at some point, just as Adam Armstrong did, but we didn’t have any cover for him then, hopefully we do this season.

Hobo

bullish ?

MR "Kelly is injured"
MW "Really, that's a shame, any news at this stage if it's serious or how long he maybe out for ?"

how would that be bullish ?

Why aren't you criticising the club for not automatically giving the information if it is that obvious? I doubt the real answer is known so soon after the game. Robins had the opportunity to give the information but didn't. Why Chase an answer that probably will be different by the end of tomorrow?

Users who are viewing this thread