Coventry Pub Reviews (2 Viewers)

ESB

Quality pub, why ever did it close?

Have to say I've been in some dreadful pubs in Coventry. Having left before drinking age, its always a bit of a journey in to the unknown. The Red Horse (i think it was called) before the Brighton game was a particular gem.

Ashdown1

The Coventry Cross. Brilliant riverside pub, full or charm and character. Craft beers. Bar snacks and close to other entertainment hubs like Club Release. 11/10!

More truth in that than you imagine if you check history. The river Sowe used to run down close by there and into 'Pool Meadow' ! In medieval times it really would have been riverside !

ajsccfc

That's the place that's some kind of student housing now right? I had no idea it was ever a pub.

Tommystours

Rose and Crown Walsgrave road
Albert and Val did us proud city players normal guys used it after the games at HR up until the cup win in 87

LastGarrison

Rose and Crown Walsgrave road
Albert and Val did us proud city players normal guys used it after the games at HR up until the cup win in 87

My era was Bob and Betty. Bob was sound, Betty an alcoholic, Jamie was a shit hot pool player who I now believe is a chef in Oz and their youngest daughter Jenny is a tidy little piece.

Now ran by Trev, who is a bit of a c**t. Still not a bad boozer and some of the East European pieces behind the bar I would love the chance to massively disappoint.

8.5/10 in Bob and Betty's day, 7/10 nowadays.

ExmouthNeil

Great thread this..... Anything to make us smile with all the shit that's goin on....

Did used to go to the Old Ball for 'Grab a Grannie' on Thursday night I think.... But I was a Spires Boy in Chapplefields or down to the Hollyhead for a bit of ruff

HAPPY DAYS......:D:D:D

PUSB's, Neil.

Johnnythespider

My era was Bob and Betty. Bob was sound, Betty an alcoholic, Jamie was a shit hot pool player who I now believe is a chef in Oz and their youngest daughter Jenny is a tidy little piece.

Now ran by Trev, who is a bit of a c**t. Still not a bad boozer and some of the East European pieces behind the bar I would love the chance to massively disappoint.

Jamie used to do a weekly recipe in the telegraph from oz, don't know if he's still there. I used to play for the football team there at that time but we used to have to let Jamie come training with us. Now albert and val's daughter was fit.

LastGarrison

Jamie used to do a weekly recipe in the telegraph from oz, don't know if he's still there. I used to play for the football team there at that time but we used to have to let Jamie come training with us. Now albert and val's daughter was fit.

He did as well, well remembered!

Couple of my mates played at that time, is that when Lammy and Frank were in charge?

Johnnythespider

He did as well, well remembered!

Couple of my mates played at that time, is that when Lammy and Frank were in charge?
Might have been before them, we set the team up and were managed by some scottish bloke, can't remember his name now, we were pretty crap to be fair but the social side was good.

LastGarrison

Might have been before them, we set the team up and were managed by some scottish bloke, can't remember his name now, we were pretty crap to be fair but the social side was good.

Don't think it changed much over the years then because I can remember going to see my mates after staying up with them all night on the sesh and then watching them attempt to run round a football pitch whilst still under the influence of all sorts.

The Devon football team ended up moving down there and taking on their team after most of them got barred from the Devon. A lad called Bear was the manager then.

ajsccfc

Can anyone remember the name of the place that used to be here?

Used to go every Sunday but can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

ESB

My grandad use to have his pigeon racing society meetings there

Now there's a sport :eek:

Last edited:

Sba180

Jamie is still a chef in oz. Apparently number 14 in NSW pool standings too. Still wobble out of crown most saturdays! The grange was a great boozer though. Leave at 2:45pm just in time for ko at HR then see out the night back in there singing city songs win or lose!

Last edited:

ajsccfc

Had a little Google, I knew it as the Bolshie. I always just thought that was the actual name of it...

Tommystours

Used to play for and manage Whitmore Rangers FC Sunday league , best social club in Cov . That's where Tommystours started

ajsccfc

Used to hammer pounds into the bandit in the Bolshie. The greatest success was during a magical week in college where we went to the Walsgrave all week and took the triple jackpot repeater on Sir Win-A-Lot. How we didn't get a plaque above the bar is beyond me.

Users who are viewing this thread