Coventry Pub Reviews (2 Viewers)

ajsccfc

I think years ago was he chef at that restaurant near the Binley Park Inn that's now flats (there's a theme developing there)?

W

westcountry_skyblue

I remember getting a pint glass smashed over my head in the old ball mid nineties by a villa fan.
Bank holiday monday game i think been on it all day from the walsgrave via the rose and crown too.
Funny thing is i did'nt feel a thing after he had done it lol just remember some chairs flying about !!!

Grendel

Surprised there is no mention of The Colin Campbell......

Disturbing looking wine bar now. Don't think the Friday night rock night would pass health and safety now.

tbh444

from a vaguely 'real ale geek' perspective (may be well out of date)
whitefriars - 8/10 usually good beer choice but staff can be a bit disinterested
gatehouse tavern - 7/10 nice garden, not much space inside, good 1st stop on a tour
town wall tavern - 6/10 ok place for quiet drink if passing by, or visiting the theatre
old windmill - 5/10 interesting decor, big range but all dull mainstream stuff
nusery tavern, hearsall inn, craven arms, chestnut tree chapelfields - 7/10 good for tour of small local pubs among rows of houses, bit more character than the typical cov 'car park' pub
various wetherspoons in the centre - 4/10 ok beer, cheap but 'spoons are generally horrible soulless pubs
city arms, earlsdon - 4/10 ditto, plus very ropey clientelle!
royal oak, earsdon - 5/10 ok, but should be something better for such a busy part of town really

Nick

Administrator
Anybody ever got into browns to rate it? I got in once and made it to the bar before being kicked out for no reason..

ajsccfc

I've never had any bother getting in personally, but I have heard plenty of tales of their coin-flip door policy.

CovFan

Oh for the days of walking past Club Release and hearing some middle aged divorcee singing "I will survive" at 2 in the afternoon.

A friend got turfed out of Browns after being allowed in and being allowed to purchase a pint, bouncers chucked him out as soon as he sat down with the drink.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Anybody ever got into browns to rate it? I got in once and made it to the bar before being kicked out for no reason..

You weren't wearing any sort of military uniform were you Nick?

lordsummerisle

Years ago used to do a few from the train station to the ground on match days.

The Black Eagle Bar, The Thistle, the 'lastic Inn, Fewtrells? , Brew and Baker, and of course The Mercers! Often to the Three Tuns on the way back.

Think an awful lot of my dislike of the Ricoh and the club recently comes from actually watching them sober nowadays!

jimmyhill

No metion of the Hastings, the Bulls Head, the New Inn, the Biggin Hall? I also used to play for Whitmore, though some may question that statement!

lordsummerisle

Remember the Cheylesmore being burnt down,before that if you went in on a Sunday afternoon there would always be somebody coming round wearing a track suit with a carrier bag with meat/clothing or miscellaneous electrical goods for sale!

Houchens Head

God, I remember some rough old pubs in town in the late 60's and early 70's:
The Alhambra
The City Arms (in Smithford Way)
The Market Tavern - my absolute favourite pub EVER!!
The cellar bar in the Tally Ho! (now known as the Tudor Rose I believe?)
The Jaguar
Forty Thieves Night Club
Mr Georges Night Club
The Rock House (Locarno)
The Lady Godiva (The "Dive")
Silver Sword
The Stag (Lamb St)
Swanswell
Swanswell Tavern
The Shuttles
Turks Head
Pink Parrot nightclub (got banned so I was only ever in there once!)
I've got over 230 pics of Coventry pubs - some still standing, others now gone. Like Deano, I can stick 'em on here if anyone wants to be reminded of their youth!!

fernandopartridge

The Black Eagle Bar, The Thistle, the 'lastic Inn, Fewtrells? , Brew and Baker, and of course The Mercers! Often to the Three Tuns on the way back.

Think an awful lot of my dislike of the Ricoh and the club recently comes from actually watching them sober nowadays!

Used to like the Black Eagle.

I think you've got it right about the Ricoh, it isn't seamlessly weaved into a day out at the football. It feels like a lot more effort to me. No chance of buying a pint at 2.45 and necking it to then try to make kick off.

covhead1

God, I remember some rough old pubs in town in the late 60's and early 70's:
The Alhambra
The City Arms (in Smithford Way)
The Market Tavern - my absolute favourite pub EVER!!
The cellar bar in the Tally Ho! (now known as the Tudor Rose I believe?)
The Jaguar
Forty Thieves Night Club
Mr Georges Night Club
The Rock House (Locarno)
The Lady Godiva (The "Dive")
Silver Sword
The Stag (Lamb St)
Swanswell
Swanswell Tavern
The Shuttles
Turks Head
Pink Parrot nightclub (got banned so I was only ever in there once!)
I've got over 230 pics of Coventry pubs - some still standing, others now gone. Like Deano, I can stick 'em on here if anyone wants to be reminded of their youth!!

you forgot the zodiac

Ripbuster

Some good pubs mentioned,some good memories.
Here's a couple no longer with us.
The Aldermoor.
The chequers.
The three masons.
The Ivy Cottage.
The Stoke ex servicemans....Top club ran into the ground by Greedy guardians of the club..(sound familiar?)

Nowdays I mainly drink in the Hastings,good local lads and a decent pint most days.

Houchens Head

The Aldermoor.
The chequers.
The three masons.
The Ivy Cottage.
QUOTE]

Do you mean the Freemason that was along Harnall Lane? We used to have the CB club in there. Think it's now an Asian supermarket or something like that?

Houchens Head

I forgot the Thistle! Down the City Arcade! Another pub I was banned from! :claping hands:

Ripbuster

The Aldermoor.
The chequers.
The three masons.
The Ivy Cottage.
QUOTE]

Do you mean the Freemason that was along Harnall Lane? We used to have the CB club in there. Think it's now an Asian supermarket or something like that?

Oops,yeh the Freemasons god knows how I got that wrong,Many of my early drinking days we're spent between there and the Mercers,It must be all the snakebites bringing on early dementia..:(

fernandopartridge

Not as much as I used to but now it is £1.90 a pint in there on a Saturday afternoon, all day Sunday and whenever live football is on I think I might get back to my old frequency.

I know mate, they were all flashing their cards on Saturday. I don't drink that Carling shit though but the Stella / Guinness is reasonable anyway.

skyblueman

shame, it was a great pub. my best and worst memory was watching England go out of euro96 on penalties to Germany was a great evening until the penalty shoot out.

Ah remember that well!!! I was there as well that very night Tony - left just after the bottles and glasses started flying through the air towards the big screen

Users who are viewing this thread