Coventry RFC Thread 18/19 (1 Viewer)

I wonder if Leicester will recall James Voss from his loan after Will Spencer’s ban, Voss has been outstanding this season alongside Jubb and it’ll mean Cov being even shorter in a position they are desperately short in!
I'd not considered that... I certainly hope not. If they took him for the 4 weeks would any of those be just tackles below ankle height cup games?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Never caught it but think there was one incedent where it flaired up between the players

I thought that may have been a scrum (when they were getting the better of us?) was hoping the RFU put the footage of the citing on their website usually do but nothing yet.
Certainly need another prop in to cover!

Kneeza

I thought that may have been a scrum (when they were getting the better of us?) was hoping the RFU put the footage of the citing on their website usually do but nothing yet.
Certainly need another prop in to cover!
The footage is inconclusive, with a Bedford player obscuring the alleged incident. Suffice to say that Phil is incandescent.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

The footage is inconclusive, with a Bedford player obscuring the alleged incident. Suffice to say that Phil is incandescent.

Sounds like they’ve purely gone on medical evidence which you’d think can’t prove beyond all reasonable doubt he’s guilty?

7 weeks for this, yet Basteraud gets 5 for this.....

(Appreciate it’s France etc but still, horrific!)

Kneeza

Yes, Bastareaud's offence was, on the face of it, far worse. What makes it worse for Phil is that the initial clearing by a Bedford player was by means of a forearm to his face/shoulder. No consistency. Rugby disciplinary procs are a joke.

Norman Binns

Coventry Rugby team to face Hartpury – Coventry Rugby

Numbers are messed up.

Couple of changes again, still can’t believe Makaafi is out the squad all together!

Fancy Cov for a narrow lowish scoring 5 point ish win tomorrow
Not only Makaafi but Maisey also not making the squad. He hasn't really done anything to be dropped but that's the nature of having a big squad. You need to keep everyone involved at some point to keep them interested and as 'match ready' as possible in the event they need to be recalled through injuries. That's why I had a feeling that Jack Preece would be recalled for this game and will probably drop out again next week against Irish.

I'll be making the journey down tomorrow and like you I'm going for a narrow Cov win. These Championship games are so tense and much more interesting than seeing Cov just steamroller sides like last season in Nat 1. Bedford like Jersey was just so nerve wracking at the end and both fantastic games to watch.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Not only Makaafi but Maisey also not making the squad. He hasn't really done anything to be dropped but that's the nature of having a big squad. You need to keep everyone involved at some point to keep them interested and as 'match ready' as possible in the event they need to be recalled through injuries. That's why I had a feeling that Jack Preece would be recalled for this game and will probably drop out again next week against Irish.

I'll be making the journey down tomorrow and like you I'm going for a narrow Cov win. These Championship games are so tense and much more interesting than seeing Cov just steamroller sides like last season in Nat 1. Bedford like Jersey was just so nerve wracking at the end and both fantastic games to watch.

Maisey I feel for, he’s just got better and better over last 18 months you feel Sharp came in to be the number 1 number 10 but wasn’t quite match fit.

The home games have been superb 2 of the best 5 I’ve seen at the BPA (don’t ask me to name others), I don’t hold out too much hope v Irish next Saturday but can’t see why we can’t pick up 2 wins on the road either side?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Safe travels down, I know a good few going that don’t really go away so looks like a big following (can’t imagine Hartpury get many?) I guess one of our nearer games this season!

Norman Binns

Out of interest how did Sharp play?
Not impressed with Sharp's kicking so far. Missed a very kickable pen early on when 0-0 and set the tone for the rest of the game. Some very poor decision making and poorly executed kicks not least of all when Cov had the momentum at 20-17 and from a good position inside the Hartpury half kicked straight into touch. I don't know why we just keep kicking possession away. We look far more dangerous running with the ball, going through the phases and recycling. It was not just Sharp though, overall it was a poor team performance from a very winnable game. Too many errors and yet again too many pens conceded.

Hartpury were smarter, better disciplined, better in the scrum and mauls and made very few errors. All in all deserved winners. I think we may see Maisey back next week.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Not impressed with Sharp's kicking so far. Missed a very kickable pen early on when 0-0 and set the tone for the rest of the game. Some very poor decision making and poorly executed kicks not least of all when Cov had the momentum at 20-17 and from a good position inside the Hartpury half kicked straight into touch. I don't know why we just keep kicking possession away. We look far more dangerous running with the ball, going through the phases and recycling. It was not just Sharp though, overall it was a poor team performance from a very winnable game. Too many errors and yet again too many pens conceded.

Hartpury were smarter, better disciplined, better in the scrum and mauls and made very few errors. All in all deserved winners. I think we may see Maisey back next week.

Do we go all out next week in the squad selection or pick our battles ie focus on a much more winnable game at Richmond the week after?

White I noticed was subbed early 2nd half any reason or poor game?

Pen count again I hear was high.

Plenty to work on!

Norman Binns

Do we go all out next week in the squad selection or pick our battles ie focus on a much more winnable game at Richmond the week after?

White I noticed was subbed early 2nd half any reason or poor game?

Pen count again I hear was high.

Plenty to work on!
White was subbed because of injury. He tried to charge down a Hartpury kick and the kicker followed through full force into his stomach/rib cage area. He got up after a few minutes of treatment but it was around the time that Kessell would probably have been introduced to the game anyway. He had a decent game scoring our first try on the stroke of half time. He nipped in to steal the loose ball on a 5m Hartpury scrum after the Cov pack pressurised Hartpury into the mistake.

I expect Cov will go all out with the strongest selection against Irish with Halaifonua back in the ranks and Nutley if fit. Although I don't expect anything other than a comfortable Irish win, we still need to compete even if there are more important games coming up. We don't want to be completely rolled over at home.

Kneeza

I'll guarantee Maisey starts next Saturday. Sharp played himself out of the squad.
Reckon the search is now on for another 10, but it'll be hard to find one.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I'll guarantee Maisey starts next Saturday. Sharp played himself out of the squad.
Reckon the search is now on for another 10, but it'll be hard to find one.

Isn’t Sharp on a player-coach contract so you’d imagine is one of the more well paid players?

Short term cover at prop (read Beech broke a rib?) and an option ready at 2nd row should Voss or Jubb pick up an injury?
On a side note does an accumulation of yellows receive a ban at any point? I note Voss is on 2 already!

Kneeza

White was subbed because of injury. He tried to charge down a Hartpury kick and the kicker followed through full force into his stomach/rib cage area. He got up after a few minutes of treatment but it was around the time that Kessell would probably have been introduced to the game anyway. He had a decent game scoring our first try on the stroke of half time. He nipped in to steal the loose ball on a 5m Hartpury scrum after the Cov pack pressurised Hartpury into the mistake.

I expect Cov will go all out with the strongest selection against Irish with Halaifonua back in the ranks and Nutley if fit. Although I don't expect anything other than a comfortable Irish win, we still need to compete even if there are more important games coming up. We don't want to be completely rolled over at home.
Doubt they'll look to be hammered, but will assess after Bedford play them this afternoon with an, allegedly, weakened team.
I'd play Halaifonua and Maisey, without a doubt.

Kneeza

Sharp won't leave unnecessarily, but I'd bet on a third 10 coming in. If that means he wants to leave, well...
There's at least two loan locks ready to come in at the drop of a hat. Props is another matter entirely.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Doubt they'll look to be hammered, but will assess after Bedford play them this afternoon with an, allegedly, weakened team.
I'd play Halaifonua and Maisey, without a doubt.

LI beat Bedford 29-20
Red card to TJ Ioane so he should miss Saturday, every little helps!

Norman Binns

Spot on summary and observations. Like the abuse of officials at the Bedford game, booing our own players is a disgrace and an embarrassment to the club. I'd rather these people stay away. Ok some of Sharp's kicking has not been up to the level expected but some of his handling, passing and vision has been very good. He's only had two games and may need more time to settle in. Booing him is not going to do anything for his confidence. Having said that I'd prefer Maisey back at 10 for the LI game.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Spot on summary and observations. Like the abuse of officials at the Bedford game, booing our own players is a disgrace and an embarrassment to the club. I'd rather these people stay away. Ok some of Sharp's kicking has not been up to the level expected but some of his handling, passing and vision has been very good. He's only had two games and may need more time to settle in. Booing him is not going to do anything for his confidence. Having said that I'd prefer Maisey back at 10 for the LI game.

It’d be very poor of the supporters to turn on the team, RW & or individual players!
Especially after the last decade and how far the club has come and transformed.

Sharp has 200 apps at this level is 27 & in as a player coach RW obviously he’s a lot in him, maybe needs time to bed in and it’s notnhelped he’s keeping a fans favourite amd someone who has done nothing wrong out the team.

I think we’ll lose Saturday and maybe by a large margin hopefully both team and fans can keep the wheels on the wagon which has been rolling on so well in recent years!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Like wot I was sayin'. :happy:
Seriously though, this was all no real shock was it?

It’s like you’re in the know!!
Surprised to see 4, 2nd row no shock and the full back I guess.

The other 2 positions surprised me but if the back row can be a Ram like player that’ll be a bonus!

Any news on Halaifinoua? I’ve sold Saturdays game to people on him playing!!

Users who are viewing this thread