D Day Today (6 Viewers)

ccfcway

"Player of the year Zander Diamond and goalkeeper Adam Smith are among five players to be released by Northampton. Right-back Neal Eardley, 28, and midfielders Paul Anderson, 28, and 21-year-old Emmanuel Sonupe are also leaving the club."

Esoterica

Regardless of salary of club situation, Coventry are still a massive fish in the League 2 pond.

In fact, I doubt there are many biggish clubs in as low of a position than us.

We're not as unattractive as a lot of people are making out.
Big how though? Not in budget, maybe not in crowd size, (and even with 8k it's in a 75% empty stadium that we've only got a year left in). We're big in terms of history and potential, neither of which a league 2 footballer that we've offered a 1 year contract to is going to give a flying fuck about. A 250 quid win bonus (not ridiculously tied into promotion) on top of a 500 basic salary is the difference between 26k and 30k a year for just 16 wins in the season. League 2 is all about the now, not the past or future.

Last edited:

sky blue john

Regardless of salary of club situation, Coventry are still a massive fish in the League 2 pond.

In fact, I doubt there are many biggish clubs in as low of a position than us.

We're not as unattractive as a lot of people are making out.

That might work if we offering the same money as another club in our league. But at the end of the day it won't matter how big a club you think we are if the player can get more money elsewhere.
You also have to remember Sisu only see CCFC as a small club. Why else would they be looking at us playing at the Butts or Nuneaton. I'm sure players will be banging Sisu's door down to play in those dream theatre's

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

That might work if we offering the same money as another club in our league. But at the end of the day it won't matter how big a club you think we are if the player can get more money elsewhere.
You also have to remember Sisu only see CCFC as a small club. Why else would they be looking at us playing at the Butts or Nuneaton. I'm sure players will be banging Sisu's door down to play in those dream theatre's

I was looking at it from the other side really.

Just suppose you are a pretty good conference player. CCFC come knocking and say, 'Do you wanna help us get back into League 1?'.

I might be wrong, but I think the extra £100 a week Forest Green would offer them wouldn't go as far as people may think.

Esoterica

I was looking at it from the other side really.

Just suppose you are a pretty good conference player. CCFC come knocking and say, 'Do you wanna help us get back into League 1?'.

I might be wrong, but I think the extra £100 a week Forest Green would offer them wouldn't go as far as people may think.
It's 5 grand a year! If you're earning the average L2 40k, that's still a sizeable sum. And Tim's publicly declared we're only top 8 budget so effectively relying on a miracle to get back into League 1.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It's 5 grand a year! If you're earning the average L2 40k, that's still a sizeable sum. And Tim's publicly declared we're only top 8 budget so effectively relying on a miracle to get back into League 1.

Damn it. I was only trying to raise some optimism around here!

Esoterica

Damn it. I was only trying to raise some optimism around here!
I know, I've been a right misery guts today! We were (rightly!) scathing of Mowbray last year. I'm still concerned how much harder his and now Robin's transfer window will be made by SISUs management of the finances - I fear cashflow and the poorly marketed release of season ticket prices could really undermine what he's trying to do.
giphy.gif

steve82

Ryan Haynes and Dion Kelly-Evans amongst those offered new deals at the Sky Blues...
Coventry City have announced they will be releasing nine players at the end of the 2016/17 campaign.

Nathan Clarke, Kevin Foley, Vladimir Gadzhev, Andy Rose, Ruben Lameiras and Marcus Tudgay will all be released following the expiry of their contracts.

The club will also not be renewing the contracts of Kyle Spence, Jack Finch and Jacob Whitmore from the Under-23 squad.

Defender Jordan Turnbull and Striker Stuart Beavon have the option to leave the club before 31st July 2017, due to existing clauses in their current contracts.

Goalkeeper Lee Burge and defender Chris Stokes will both be offered fresh terms, whilst top goalscorer George Thomas has begun talks over a new deal.

The club have also entered negotiations with Academy products Ryan Haynes, Gael Bigirimana, Dion Kelly-Evans and Devon Kelly-Evans to extend their stay with the club.

The players still under contract with the club are:

Reice Charles-Cook
Corey Addai
Cian Harries
Jordan Willis
Jordan Turnbull
Darragh Leahy
Bilal Sayoud
Jordan Shipley
Callum Maycock
Ben Stevenson
Kyel Reid
Kwame Thomas
Jodi Jones
Stuart Beavon

The club would like to thank all of the players for their efforts during their time with the Sky Blues and wish them the best of luck in the future.

ccfcway

Don't agree. Mark Robins and a top 8 budget should result in a top half finish* at least next season

* Edited from "play offs" now I see Burge and RCC as the two keepers next year

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

Ryan Haynes and Dion Kelly-Evans amongst those offered new deals at the Sky Blues...
Coventry City have announced they will be releasing nine players at the end of the 2016/17 campaign.

Nathan Clarke, Kevin Foley, Vladimir Gadzhev, Andy Rose, Ruben Lameiras and Marcus Tudgay will all be released following the expiry of their contracts.

The club will also not be renewing the contracts of Kyle Spence, Jack Finch and Jacob Whitmore from the Under-23 squad.

Defender Jordan Turnbull and Striker Stuart Beavon have the option to leave the club before 31st July 2017, due to existing clauses in their current contracts.

Goalkeeper Lee Burge and defender Chris Stokes will both be offered fresh terms, whilst top goalscorer George Thomas has begun talks over a new deal.

The club have also entered negotiations with Academy products Ryan Haynes, Gael Bigirimana, Dion Kelly-Evans and Devon Kelly-Evans to extend their stay with the club.

Reice Charles-Cook
Corey Addai
Cian Harries
Jordan Willis
Jordan Turnbull
Darragh Leahy
Bilal Sayoud
Jordan Shipley
Callum Maycock
Ben Stevenson
Kyel Reid
Kwame Thomas
Jodi Jones
Stuart Beavon

The club would like to thank all of the players for their efforts during their time with the Sky Blues and wish them the best of luck in the future.

/waits for page on page of BurgeTalk

Adge

Reice Charles-Cook
Corey Addai
Cian Harries
Jordan Willis
Jordan Turnbull
Darragh Leahy
Bilal Sayoud
Jordan Shipley
Callum Maycock
Ben Stevenson
Kyel Reid
Kwame Thomas
Jodi Jones
Stuart Beavon

Yep-Telegraph exclusive was bang on the money!:emoji_confused: Can't blame Giblet for this one-it was Andy Turner wasn't it?

RegTheDonk

Reice Charles-Cook
Corey Addai
Cian Harries
Jordan Willis
Jordan Turnbull
Darragh Leahy
Bilal Sayoud
Jordan Shipley
Callum Maycock
Ben Stevenson
Kyel Reid
Kwame Thomas
Jodi Jones
Stuart Beavon

Thanks for that, dare say a few outlets are updating their web sites, but glad the club have cleared up a few things and saved a lot of speculation.

covcity4life

Lol CET

Still happy as was surpised lameries was set to stay in first place.

Does he want turnbull and beavon out? Or was that just something they had to write in statement?

NorthernWisdom

Why the fuck did we put a clause in Beavons contract given we signed him on an 18 month deal whilst completely adrift bottom of the league? May as well of took the cash and had him on loan.
Probably because as we were down near the bottom, he wanted that clause!

The Turnbull one's a bit more interesting, as he joined early enough it suggests confidence about a successful season had evaporated pretty quickly.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Can we please invoice the CET for lifting guesses off here and posting them as published articles?

Completely wide of the mark from that amatuer establishment. No wonder they get so much abuse.

As for the retained list, it looks dreadful. Now a bit less optimistic for next season.

covcity4life

Can we please invoice the CET for lifting guesses off here and posting them as published articles?

Completely wide of the mark from that amatuer establishment. No wonder they get so much abuse.

As for the retained list, it looks dreadful. Now a bit less optimistic for next season.

You dont trust mark robins?

shmmeee

OK so new starting squad (assuming no sales and everyone signs):

Burge/RCC
DKE/Willis, Turnbull, Harries, Stokes/Haynes
Bigi, Stevenson,
DKE,Thomas, Jones, Reid
Beavon, Thomas

Plus the kids?

Chipfat

You're saying this club will have a bigger overall budget than us for players next season, and that's typical of Conference clubs as a whole?

No, its not just 1 player that has been offered more than the initial offer by the us.

I have no idea of budgets with regards to other clubs.

covcity4life

It's not that I don't trust him at this point, I think the jury is just out until the end of the transfer window.

He will be broning in 10 or 12 new players to add to what we have.

Haynes dke will prob be subsistitute fullbacks.

Stevenson bigi fight for 1 playermaker spot

Willis and turnbull more thab good enough to be part of a core of 4 cbs in a league 2 squad.

G thomas can get 15 goals in league 1. Jones i still back and a lower level may see him flourish. Reid too if we keep can do damage to opposition but i can see why robins wants tonget rid.

Beavon k thomas can get a few but i am sure we will bring in 2 new strikers.

So thats 1 a big target man and 1 a poacher.

A new dm to come in aswell as a new rb and 2 cb. A nunber 10 player and a winger to come too i reckon.maube a bix to box misfielder perhaps

That's 9 signings right there. It will be different yet not throwing baby out with bathwater.

Adge

OK so new starting squad (assuming no sales and everyone signs):

Burge/RCC
DKE/Willis, Turnbull, Harries, Stokes/Haynes
Bigi, Stevenson,
DKE,Thomas, Jones, Reid
Beavon, Thomas

Plus the kids?
Jeez! That team stinks of relegation again.

CCFC_Charlie

Why the fuck did we put a clause in Beavons contract given we signed him on an 18 month deal whilst completely adrift bottom of the league? May as well of took the cash and had him on loan.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We were two points off safety when we signed Beavon?

shmmeee

Jeez! That team stinks of relegation again.

Now take out: Probably Willis, Turnbull, Stevenson, Beavon, Reid, possibly Thomas, DKE, Stokes and Bigi. (Basically what NW said). I wouldn't expect many of that list to be in the first squad of the season, one way or another. 10-12 players minimum needed.

Happy_Martian

I'm still waiting on the "official" list. This "The Coventry Telegraph understands" cover-all means they have no confirmed info from Robins, and they may just have asked the tea lady about who's bought a tea or gone straight for the vodka (or read speculation on here o_O ).

Said this yesterday morning, And we still have 3 more pages discussing the Telegraphs "alternative facts". If the Cov Telegraph is held in such disdain by the forumites, why do people continue to jump on every story as if its gospel ?

Users who are viewing this thread