Do you sense a change? (1 Viewer)

matesx

I think it's just a matter of perception.
When the football side is doing well, fans are happy and optimistic, so the SISU issues fade into the background a little..
When the football side is not doing well, fans are not happy and SISU is the easiest target.

Cov fan living in Glesga? whereaboots uhr yae?

djr8369

Where is the bottom though and why the need to start again from there? The important thing seems to be to clear some of the debts and sort the structure out behind the scenes. Unless dropping down has saved money and enabled that process what’s the benefit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Dart

For a minute I thought this was a thread about male menopause.

Rich

The important thing seems to be to clear some of the debts and sort the structure out behind the scenes. Unless dropping down has saved money and enabled that process what’s the benefit?
To clear the debt, you must have left over revenue after operating costs.

Players on Championship wages with low crowds is probably less profitable than players on League 1/2 wages with 3/4000 less spectators.

djr8369

To clear the debt, you must have left over revenue after operating costs.

Players on Championship wages with low crowds is probably less profitable than players on League 1/2 wages with 3/4000 less spectators.

I’m not sure but I suppose as most clubs spend beyond their means maybe it is more profitable to be lower down the leagues. We did seem to have some older players on high wages when in the Championship.

Rich

I’m not sure but I suppose as most clubs spend beyond their means maybe it is more profitable to be lower down the leagues. We did seem to have some older players on high wages when in the Championship.

Exactly, now we've got no Sideways Sammy Clingan, Kevin Kilbane dare I say it Carl Baker on silly wages.

We have youth and lower league players on lower wages who are playing for reputation and not money. Makes a big difference to both Optimism and results.

smileycov

Facebook User
I think it's just a matter of perception.
When the football side is doing well, fans are happy and optimistic, so the SISU issues fade into the background a little..
When the football side is not doing well, fans are not happy and SISU is the easiest target.
But my OP isn't just about that. They do appear to have butted out, Fisher is in the background. We can operate as we like (to a degree) the players & fans are as close a bunch as i have ever experienced! Apart from being able too drink with the players in Park Lane in 87 of course lol That could be down to the local lads coming through so strongly, but the doyle kelly thing as well. It's great at the moment.

Captain Dart

There is a tendency to run on even bigger losses in the Championship.
There are always a few clubs where the owners are spending loads in an attempt to reach the Premier League.
But of course there are only 3 winners, the other 7 or 8 that try end up with a very bad balance sheet.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I think people are confusing the feel good factor of the team doing well (without major investment) and a change in business objective for SISU. I just do not see it myself

The football business has been left to stand on its own two feet, and that is what it has done. Effectively SISU have become passive owners and a bank of last resort. That said it is still SISU that control the purse strings. If the team is doing well, even funding itself, what is the incentive to invest more, to change direction. Their objectives have always been to get the best for their investors and that's not necessarily the same as best for CCFC, the major return is not in the financing of CCFC through the divisions - it costs to do that particularly through the Championship, and most teams are disappointed most seasons and deeper in debt

L2 with our turnover we were in a good position to achieve. L1 with momentum it is possible to do well on a modest budget (eg Burton). Championship that's when wages will really increase just to compete and that largely means bigger debts.

Have they got more to invest in the first place? It suits them for the light to be on the team, MR & Boddy, and clearly some of that has reflected on SISU for some people. Other than SISU & Fisher staying largely in the background what have they done that has actually changed?

I am just going to enjoy a little bit of CCFC success and my own opinion is that has had little to do with anything SISU have actively done. Saying "you live within budget" is easy for them it is no great change of direction. It is normal prudent business practice

As someone else said, when the team do well the pressure and spotlight are off SISU - doesn't mean they have changed anything

Last edited:

hopesprings

I think people are confusing the feel good factor of the team doing well (without major investment) and a change in business objective for SISU. I just do not see it myself

The football business has been left to stand on its own two feet, and that is what it has done. Effectively SISU have become passive owners and a bank of last resort. That said it is still SISU that control the purse strings. If the team is doing well, even funding itself, what is the incentive to invest more, to change direction. Their objectives have always been to get the best for their investors and that's not necessarily the same as best for CCFC, the major return is not in the financing of CCFC through the divisions - it costs to do that particularly through the Championship, and most teams are disappointed most seasons and deeper in debt

L2 with our turnover we were in a good position to achieve. L1 with momentum it is possible to do well on a modest budget (eg Burton). Championship that's when wages will really increase just to compete and that largely means bigger debts.

Have they got more to invest in the first place? It suits them for the light to be on the team, MR & Boddy, and clearly some of that has reflected on SISU for some people. Other than SISU & Fisher staying largely in the background what have they done that has actually changed?

I am just going to enjoy a little bit of CCFC success and my own opinion is that has had little to do with anything SISU have actively done. Saying "you live within budget" is easy for them it is no great change of direction. It is normal prudent business practice

As someone else said, when the team do well the pressure and spotlight are off SISU - doesn't mean they have changed anything

Agree entirely with you OSB I think it will be more easily defined when (if ) Maddison is sold what Robins gets and whether he is upbeat about the amount! We will also get a mush clearer idea of their possible shift in attitude when the result of mediation comes to the fore.
The players all seem to want to play for the manager, Doyle the leader and others are all doing and saying the right things. BUT if there is any sign of Sisu going to rock the boat then that could all change very quickly. Fingers crossed

Captain Dart

Their objectives have always been to get the best for their investors and that's not necessarily the same as best for CCFC
Which is why I don't support them, they are in football club ownership for the wrong reasons.

robbiekeane

No. The same idiots who think SISU were to blame for Mowbrays incompetence are the same ones who must think they are to thank for Robin’s competence.

They are irrelevant to the footballing performances after the budget had been set.

Irish Sky Blue

No. The same idiots who think SISU were to blame for Mowbrays incompetence are the same ones who must think they are to thank for Robin’s competence.

They are irrelevant to the footballing performances after the budget had been set.
If the budget set doesn’t allow the footballing side of things to function then they are.

Grendel

Which is why I don't support them, they are in football club ownership for the wrong reasons.

No one supports them they support the club. Getting a match package this season?

Sky Blue Pete

As someone else said, when the team do well the pressure and spotlight are off SISU - doesn't mean they have changed anything[/QUOTE

Damn right

D

Deleted member 5612

Positive position on the pitch but not sure same can be said off the pitch... But football wise I think we are in for another good season, just hoping the next few weeks sees us keep hold of Sparky and Bayliss

Ashdown

We have a decent manager and some decent players, the staff running the club are getting all sorts right, the fans are getting the bug again with a bit of success. To that end I've bought my first shirt for a few seasons and we shall be buying a couple of match packages.

Irish Sky Blue

And there is no evidence whatsoever that we’ve ever had a bottom 3 budget under SISU. I doubt we’ve ever had below a top 10 budget in league one and two
There is no evidence he had a top ten budget either. Mowbray was hardly splashing the cash in his final season. His parting message was that for this club to be successful the owners would one day have to back the manager. Now Mowbray could have been lying. However he always came across as honest and straight talking so that seems unlikely. To get in Turnbull he had to first sell Vincealot. He made very few permenant signings and they were on short term contracts. Even when Slade came in he had to exchange Sordell for Beavon. You can say the money wasn’t used wisely and perhaps that’s true. However there does not seem to have been a lot of it in the first place.

robbiekeane

To get in Turnbull he had to first sell Vincealot
And how do you rate that decision out of ten?

The fact of the matter is for a sustainable business model you need to live within your means. Mowbray said he missed out on many CB targets and this was widely reported to be six in fact, all of which were from the championship e.g. Kelvin Wilson.

He signed turnball for a few hundred k, (so 3/4 players wages worth on above average league one wage) who was absolutely shite, he was trying to sign championship centre backs, and he signed Marvin Sordell who was reportedly on big money. Does that sound like someone without a competitive budget? He either had one and royally fucked it up with terrible recruitment decisions, or he didn’t in which case it’s baffling as to why he was obsessed with signing players from the league above.

Either way he fucked it up.

covcity4life

however it fell he let Martin go and signed Turnbull huge error and nothing to do with budget,
Is your Mowbray alarm the same model as Italias wasps one?
Martin was shit. Least turnbull played in a team that won silverware #fact

Fine i have already won this argument in 2 posts. Record time. I will leave you to it

Irish Sky Blue

Not justifying his signings but would certainly question how much he had to spend. I don't remember his top ten claim but that would seem to contradict his leaving comments. Certainly wages they were on is only a guess.
There have been several threads suggesting Sisu have changed. There is no evidence that they have.Last seasons success (in the bottom league) was down to Robins. You can say they appointed Robins but that is one out of nine or ten managers who have succeeded.
Sisu have been a disaster. I don't see any change from the policies that have made them a disaster.

clint van damme

Martin was shit. Least turnbull played in a team that won silverware #fact

Fine i have already won this argument in 2 posts. Record time. I will leave you to it

you've won nothing. You've jumped to the defence of your hero in record time and hi-lighted your strange obsession with an ex manager once again.
I'm objective about Mowbray, he did some good things, made some mistakes. But you have a strange obsession with him is a bit weird.

Specs WT-R75

The clear change in recent times is the types of contract that we are signing players on. No more 1 year deals which suggests Sisu are at least being less short-termist about things as I guess they have to commit to fund the budget in Y2/Y3 of the player contract in the event of a catastrophy.

Covstu

you've won nothing. You've jumped to the defence of your hero in record time and hi-lighted your strange obsession with an ex manager once again.
I'm objective about Mowbray, he did some good things, made some mistakes. But you have a strange obsession with him is a bit weird.
I think we will never get to the bottom of the exits that year, we lost two key loan signings and two of our best midfielders in a matter of weeks. The squad after that wasn't no where near good enough to survive and we got what we deserved. SISU or TM, time will tell I guess.

Covstu

The clear change in recent times is the types of contract that we are signing players on. No more 1 year deals which suggests Sisu are at least being less short-termist about things as I guess they have to commit to fund the budget in Y2/Y3 of the player contract in the event of a catastrophy.
I think the fact we are signing players rather than a team of loanees has shown a difference in commitment and team unity. There is a lot to be cheerful about being a sky blue fan going into this season

Users who are viewing this thread