Do you want to discuss boring politics? (16 Viewers)

skybluetony176

I see Sunak is telling anyone who will listen that the results from last week prove that we’re heading for a hung parliament. Not sure if he’s a fool or he thinks everyone else is. I don’t think in his case the two are mutually exclusive.

It’s a pretty ridiculous statement. Voting is always narrower at GE’s than council elections. If independents were a party they were the forth biggest party last week, that won’t happen at a GE. Crucially it was only English elections last week, he’s working on the premise that Labour won’t make gains in Scotland, which seems highly unlikely given the state of the SNP at the moment.

No doubt that the polls will narrow and the Tories will do better than polls suggest but unless Reform chooses not to run it’s difficult to see where they’re going to get the votes from to win enough seats in England for it to be a hung parliament and it is England that they’ll have to do it in. They’re not going to take Scotland or Wales.

shmmeee

I see Sunak is telling anyone who will listen that the results from last week prove that we’re heading for a hung parliament. Not sure if he’s a fool or he thinks everyone else is. I don’t think in his case the two are mutually exclusive.

It’s a pretty ridiculous statement. Voting is always narrower at GE’s than council elections. If independents were a party they were the forth biggest party last week, that won’t happen at a GE. Crucially it was only English elections last week, he’s working on the premise that Labour won’t make gains in Scotland, which seems highly unlikely given the state of the SNP at the moment.

No doubt that the polls will narrow and the Tories will do better than polls suggest but unless Reform chooses not to run it’s difficult to see where they’re going to get the votes from to win enough seats in England for it to be a hung parliament and it is England that they’ll have to do it in. They’re not going to take Scotland or Wales.

The narrative is actually really good for Labour. Will limit protest voting and encourage the vote to get out where a landslide would give people permission not to bother.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a PM as bad at politics as Sunak.

skybluetony176

Natalie Elphicke? You’ve got to be kidding. Who next Gullis! Not sure WTF Starmer is thinking on this one. He should have stayed well clear. Hope she loses her seat at the GE.

clint van damme

Natalie Elphicke? You’ve got to be kidding. Who next Gullis! Not sure WTF Starmer is thinking on this one. He should have stayed well clear. Hope she loses her seat at the GE.

I think she's knocking it on the head at the next GE so not sure what this is all about.

PVA

It's a pretty easy short term win for Labour really.

The average person on the street won't know who she is or what she stands for, but they will take notice of 'Tory MP defects to Labour and calls Sunak and the Tories useless cunts'.

She's standing down anyway, and Starmer will have her on a short leash until then.

It's not a shift in labour ideology, it's simply another vehicle to stick the boot into the Tories.

The usual crowd won't like it of course but it's pretty obviously good politics.

Sick Boy

The average person on the street won't know who she is or what she stands for, but they will take notice of 'Tory MP defects to Labour and calls Sunak and the Tories useless cunts'.

She's standing down anyway, and Starmer will have her on a short leash until then.

It's not a shift in labour ideology, it's simply another vehicle to stick the boot into the Tories.

The usual crowd won't like it of course but it's pretty obviously good politics.
Yeah it’ll appeal to those who’ve voted Tory in the past rather than traditional Labour voters.

Skybluekyle

Yeah, she also tried to influence judges in her, then, husband's court case for sexually assaulting two women.

It's ironic that the upholding the "Rule of Law" is a constitutional principle of the UK (albeit the UK does not a constitution contained to a single document), that MPs can act, for all intents and purposes, therefore unconstitutionally, with impunity, shows something is seriously wrong.

rob9872

Loved a bit of Boon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240508_145500_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240508_145500_Google.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 4

skybluetony176

Apparently she backed Truss for PM also. The more I read about her the less it makes sense unless she’s had a road to Damascus style conversion.

David O'Day

Elphicke is a prick but it's worth it for:

a) Giving Sunak a kicking
b) The utter look of confusion on Gullis' face when he saw her sat behind Starmer.

skybluetony176

Short term just to play the crowd, genuine question how many more are required for Hung parliament?
Think it’s about 320 as Sinn Fein don’t take their seats. So about another 24 defections/resignations from the Tories needed before Sunak needs a deal with the DUP to get anything through although technically he could limp on until a GE unless everyone else clubs together, which ain’t going to happen.

duffer

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the individual MP, she was elected by her constituency as a Conservative, taking the Tory whip, and supporting a Tory manifesto.

If she wants to stand under a different banner, then it should be put back to the electorate via a by-election.

I'd say the same for anyone who chooses to swap parties post-election.

As for whether it will convince more Tory voters to switch to Labour, who knows - I think most will file under the usual, can't trust a politician to mean what they say opportunism.

It's a win for Starmer though, in his seemingly ceaseless quest to move the party to the right. Whether that's good for the country, I guess we'll see.

duffer

Think it’s about 320 as Sinn Fein don’t take their seats. So about another 24 defections/resignations from the Tories needed before Sunak needs a deal with the DUP to get anything through although technically he could limp on until a GE unless everyone else clubs together, which ain’t going to happen.

Just a minor amendment to your maths... Given the current rate of sexual scandals etc. the Tories seem to be prone to, there might be another dozen or so that get the boot before this government is done. 😁

Grendel

What's the limit to 'giving Sunak a kicking'?

Would you accept Farage into the party? Maybe if Labour bought out policy to export every non-white? That would give him a right kicking.

I am surprised Lee Anderson wasn't asked to make a return

Brighton Sky Blue

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the individual MP, she was elected by her constituency as a Conservative, taking the Tory whip, and supporting a Tory manifesto.

If she wants to stand under a different banner, then it should be put back to the electorate via a by-election.

I'd say the same for anyone who chooses to swap parties post-election.

As for whether it will convince more Tory voters to switch to Labour, who knows - I think most will file under the usual, can't trust a politician to mean what they say opportunism.

It's a win for Starmer though, in his seemingly ceaseless quest to move the party to the right. Whether that's good for the country, I guess we'll see.
The nation didn’t get to go to the polls for the last two PMs, never mind constituents being able to have a by election for an MP who changes parties.

PVA

What's the limit to 'giving Sunak a kicking'?

Maybe if Labour bought out policy to export every non-white? That would give him a right kicking.

Yeah because that's the next logical step after taking in a tory defector isn't it.

Come on, I know you're just making a point but it loses any credence when making such silly comparisons.

Grendel

The nation didn’t get to go to the polls for the last two PMs, never mind constituents being able to have a by election for an MP who changes parties.

They haven't gone to the polls other than Blair for any Labour PM since Harold Wilson

clint van damme

Accepting someone who supported a nonce is good politics? Fucking hell.
Then again, if you can support war crimes you can support anything.

Grendel

Yeah because that's the next logical step after taking in a tory defector isn't it.

Come on, I know you're just making a point but it loses any credence when making such silly comparisons.

She said Marcus Rashford should play football and not bother with his campaign, was a member of the ERG, openly slated Labour on its pathetic stance on immigration, backed Liz Truss and defended her husbands dodgy activities with women when he was sent to prison.

I mean what is there not to like - that I guess is what Labour stands for

Grendel

I don't like her or what she stands for any more than you do, but if it results in a net gain of votes/rating then yes that is quite literally good politics.

Do you have any principals at all?

Grendel

You'll note from my reply I was referring to the absurd 'exporting all non whites' comment.

She is totally anti immigration

PVA

She is totally anti immigration

hall of fame game missed the point GIF

Users who are viewing this thread