Euro 2016 big thread (2 Viewers)

Gazolba

The players play in the positions decided by the manager and function as instructed by the manager. The team plays the system decided by the manager. The manager is 90% to blame when things don't work out. Hart was at fault for his blunder but Hodgson was at fault for picking a GK prone to blunders in big games. Hodgson picked the wrong squad, the wrong team and formations and the wrong tactics. His substitutions were untimely and non-sensical. He was out-managed in every game, virtually every decision he made was wrong.

Covstu

I know this game was nearly a year ago and that Lithuania are dross but the side that played them in tbr last qualitifying game was:

Butland
Walker
Jones
Jagielka
Gibbs
Shelvey
Oxlade-chamberlain
Lallana
Barkley
Vardy
Kane

Only 2 started the game against Iceland and half weren't even in the squad

Even if you want to write that off as experimental a month earlier the side that won 2-0 against the swiss was

Hart
Clyne
Cahill
Smalling
Shaw
Milner
Shelvey
Delph (barkley coming on after 3 mins)
Oxlade-chamberlain
Sterling
Rooney

Only 5 started against Iceland and Rooney was played in a completely different position.

In comparison, wales crunch game against Bosnia aroubd thr same time we played thr swiss where they clinched qualification despite losing the game

Hennessay
Gunter
Williams
Davies
Richards
Taylor
Allen
Ramsey
Ledley
Bale
Robson-Kanu.

10 of those 11 all started against Belgium.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I think we certainly have a bigger pool to pick from but this goes back to Roy not knowing what his best side is and maybe some pressure from the bigger clubs to not play their 'stars' as they have Liverpool at the weekend?

Covstu

Looking forward to tonights game, Wales will certainly miss Ramsey. I wonder how much this will affect the shape of their team as a result??

Otis

Looking forward to tonights game, Wales will certainly miss Ramsey. I wonder how much this will affect the shape of their team as a result??

Was looking forwards to it, but it has been a complete media overkill. Hyped it so much now I have had to change channels to stop keeping hearing about it every 5 minutes.

They are also having very selective memories in terms of bigging Wales up, saying how brilliantly fantastic they have been throughout the entire tournament. Err ... England game? Wales were poor and all the Welsh 'experts' were saying so at the time too (Savage, Hartson, Bellamy, Saunders etc). Alll saying England deserved to win and Wales were poor.

Now though, it is all that Wales have been fantastically good for the entire tournament.

Wales will miss Ramsey. He's no Bale, but is still a very key player for them and he takes some of the pressure off their main man. Think Bale will now be even more closely marked as a result, because there is no other real playmaker to aid him.

I know we are all supposed to be rooting for Wales, but I just wonder how many Welsh would be cheering for England tonight if it was us v Portugal. Think the Portugeuse would get one hell of a backing from the valleys.

Covstu

I think you need to look at who they are and why this is a big deal to be fair. They clearly got it wrong against England and I think if they went at us on that game we could have seen a different result (or we would have opened them up more who knows?). Credit where its due, they have been an excellent team but they have also been lucky with the games they have played too, Belgium was the real test which they over come but this is indicative of a tournament where 1) it was easier to qualify out of the groups that go out and 2) the overall quality of the teams in the knock outs were easier which invited that more cup final mentality.

Take your point on whether they would have backed us but personally I will be rooting for them but at the back of my mind hoping they don't win the whole bloody thing as we would never ever hear the last of it!! It has a Leicester feel to it, no matter what City do now, it would be overshadowed forever!

xcraigx

Hopefully Wales get smashed tonight but all the pressure is on Portugal. I've had the misfortune to sit through all the Portugal games (apart from Hungary) and they are trash. I have a feeling the Welsh will sneak it 2-1.

lifeskyblue

Supported Wales for first time in my life v Belgium. I will be cheering them on tonight again. Reason 1)they are British...most not at the top teams, 2) they play for each other and have real team spirit, 3) they appear to be enjoying themselves...all to rare in today's over professional and over hyped game and 4) they haven't got mardy ar*e Ronaldo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

I think you need to look at who they are and why this is a big deal to be fair. They clearly got it wrong against England and I think if they went at us on that game we could have seen a different result (or we would have opened them up more who knows?). Credit where its due, they have been an excellent team but they have also been lucky with the games they have played too, Belgium was the real test which they over come but this is indicative of a tournament where 1) it was easier to qualify out of the groups that go out and 2) the overall quality of the teams in the knock outs were easier which invited that more cup final mentality.

Take your point on whether they would have backed us but personally I will be rooting for them but at the back of my mind hoping they don't win the whole bloody thing as we would never ever hear the last of it!! It has a Leicester feel to it, no matter what City do now, it would be overshadowed forever!
They have rode their luck at times for sure.

Certain penalty for Belgium not given that could have changed the game, two poor goalkeeping errors against Bale free kicks and then playing a Russian side who had given in and put very little effort in at all.

Wales deserved the Belgium victory though, but I have a sneaky feeling Portugal might just win the whole thing.

Ronaldo has to be kept reasonably quiet tonight for Wales to have a chance.

Monners

I am not supporting them as they voted Leave!

Seriously though, I want them to win as I really don't like how Portugal play. France to beat Wales 5-0 in the final though!

Otis

I am not supporting them as they voted Leave!

Seriously though, I want to win as I really don't like how Portugal play. France to beat Wales 5-0 in the final though!
I was hoping more for a 7-1 with Coleman saying 'We bossed the first half.'

Otis

I had to turn that off. The tinkly emotional piano in the VT as the Welsh players and Coleman were interviewed etc.

Emotional rubbish trying to tug at the heartstrings and layered thickly like jam to elevate it all out of proportion.

Going to turn back on for the game and kick off.

armybike

I had to turn that off. The tinkly emotional piano in the VT as the Welsh players and Coleman were interviewed etc.

Emotional rubbish trying to tug at the heartstrings and layered thickly like jam to elevate it all out of proportion.

Going to turn back on for the game and kick off.

You could switch to Beeb 1 and watch Murray try his hardest to chuck a few games away!

armybike

Anyone know why neither team are playing in their home kit? Seems to be a feature of this tournament.

It's deemed a home game for POR, but their home kit was deemed to close in darkness to WAL away kit, so they're both wearing their away kits.

WAL had therefore requested to wear their home kit, but this request was refused.

Hope that makes sense :)

covmark

Bloody hell Portugal are a poor side. They make England look good.
They're both poor as hell. How these two got to the semis is beyond me.
Absolute dross the pair of them.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Liquid Gold

Terrible game, I hope France/Germany smash whoever gets to the final.

Far too many poor games in the tournament, I was excited for the extra games but in general the quality has been bad and entertainment too. I hope they go back to 16 next time round.

Otis

It's a terrible game, devoid of any skill, Bale apart.

They both look well short of even tournament standard.

armybike

Am I dreaming or at one point didn't it only be 8 teams?

Yep - West Germany, Czechoslovakia, Netherlands, Greece, Belgium, Italy, England and Spain.

covmark

Great header, hopefully it'll do this horseshit game the world of good.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

no_loyalty

I don't think Wales will recover. Portugal dreadful in this tournament but they always seem to scrape through

Users who are viewing this thread