Euro 2016 big thread (5 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

Heard on the news that Wales are having an open top bus parade around Cardiff. Pretty embarrassing really.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Wales have now achieved at much at England at the European Championship. It is a bit cringe but that's British football. An also ran in world terms.

Hadji10

Umtiti and Koscielny excellent. Germany played well till they got to the final third. France deserved winners and will surely beat Portugal.

Otis

Joe Allen has apparently said that Wales have enough potential to be real contenders to win the next world cup.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!!

One of the funniest things I have ever heard.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!!!!

Captain Dart

Gazolba

France to beat Portugal 3-1. However, don't use this in the prediction league as I've only been right 2 times in 50 games. Is there a 3rd place game? Have not heard anything about Germany vs Wales.

Johnnythespider

France to beat Portugal 3-1. However, don't use this in the prediction league as I've only been right 2 times in 50 games. Is there a 3rd place game? Have not heard anything about Germany vs Wales.
If you put the news on you will see Wales being driven around Cardiff in an open top bus, they're not having a 3rd place game

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Otis

There hasn't been a third place game in the Euros since 1980

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Yes, but this is Wales and it's been 58 years and they have been so brilliant and so magnificent and so wonderful (apart from being crap against England and crap against Portugal and a little bit lucky against Slovakia), they must arrange it and put it on just for them!

SkyblueBazza

You must be joking. It's a stupid idea. Some complained about the journey this summer...
Midlands to Marseille 880 miles.
Marseille to Lens - 609 miles.
Lens to St Etienne - 453 miles.
St Etienne to Nice - 304 miles
Nice to Midlands - 976 miles.
3222 miles in total.

In 4 years we could face the prospect of going from Baku to Bilbao. That is a 3467 mile journey alone. It's a 60 hour drive (we'd miss the game even if we left at full time in Baku) or 10 hours by plane.
Yes...but it is not for or about us - they don't want hoi polloi riff-raff like us going do they? Celebrity, corporate, political & social elite only if you don't mind!
They can all either comfortably afford the flights or claim it back in their expenses.

...onwards & upwards PUSB

SkyblueBazza

Joe Allen has apparently said that Wales have enough potential to be real contenders to win the next world cup.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!!

One of the funniest things I have ever heard.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!!!!
How we would've laughed if he had said pre Euro '16 "we could certainly make the semi final" too though eh?

Otis

How we would've laughed if he had said pre Euro '16 "we could certainly make the semi final" too though eh?

Well the remit for Hodgson was quarter finals as a minimum and the fact was, we should have been able to beat Iceland. We then would have been in the quarter final.

Otis

To be quite honest, no I wouldn't have laughed about it. With so many teams going through to the knock out stages anything was possible.

I would have laughed long and hard though had he said they could win the bloody thing.

SkyBlueSid

Thanks, Wiki. :)
Sad to admit, but I do remember it. I would actually go for the format they had when Denmark won it without qualifying. It should be made more difficult to qualify so that we at least have the best teams. Far too much dross there for this tournament, 24 teams is ridiculous. Same for World Cups, I'd go back to 16 teams and 4 groups. And a 3rd placed team should never qualify from a group!

It is very sad that we have formats like the present Euro so that it can generate so much TV money. I wonder how long it will continue, as there have been so many poor quality games, as there were at the World Cup. Less is more in these tournaments.

Otis

Yes, totally agree. In a group of 4 how on earth can the 3rd place team go through? It's ridiculous.

If that kind of nonsense was played out in domestic leagues that would be like have 16 teams playing for the play-offs out of the 24.

Should be top team goes through and then the 2 best second placed teams.

If you had 6 groups of 4 (or even 5), you would have the top team go through, so 6 teams, plus the best 2 second place teams, making 8 teams and it being the quarter finals immediately at that point.

Terry Gibson's perm

Yes, totally agree. In a group of 4 how on earth can the 3rd place team go through? It's ridiculous.

If that kind of nonsense was played out in domestic leagues that would be like have 16 teams playing for the play-offs out of the 24.

Should be top team goes through and then the 2 best second placed teams.

If you had 6 groups of 4 (or even 5), you would have the top team go through, so 6 teams, plus the best 2 second place teams, making 8 teams and it being the quarter finals immediately at that point.

Good idea on the 16 in the play offs but we would probably end as the 17th team.

stupot07

I've quite enjoyed these euros, the 3rd place thing was a bit odd, but its been good seeing wales, northern Ireland and Iceland do quite well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Terry Gibson's perm

I've quite enjoyed these euros, the 3rd place thing was a bit odd, but its been good seeing wales, northern Ireland and Iceland do quite well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It seem to have gone on a bit long and I have hardly watched a game since England got knocked out.

covmark

It seem to have gone on a bit long and I have hardly watched a game since England got knocked out.
Same here.

The problem with having more teams in the competition is you get weaker teams and therefore you get a lot of games that consist of attack v defence. Boring as hell. Imo it's been a pretty crap tournament. Having the 24 teams waters the competition down too much.

Terry Gibson's perm

Same here.

The problem with having more teams in the competition is you get weaker teams and therefore you get a lot of games that consist of attack v defence. Boring as hell. Imo it's been a pretty crap tournament. Having the 24 teams waters the competition down too much.

The football has been fairly drab plus I am not sure there are as many players who get you out of your seat.

CJ_covblaze

Yes...but it is not for or about us - they don't want hoi polloi riff-raff like us going do they? Celebrity, corporate, political & social elite only if you don't mind!
They can all either comfortably afford the flights or claim it back in their expenses.

As a football fan I can't remember the last time I felt like I was an important part of the whole thing. We don't really matter. To be honest I'm more pissed off about that tournament than the one in Qatar. At least we'll almost be able to walk from ground to ground. As for the one is Russia that's the worse one of the lot. I'll still go to all three, will just walk around looking miserable all the time whilst thinking why have I done this?

32 for the world cup and 16 for the euros is fine by me.

Wish it did stay like that. Can you imagine what it's going to be like in Germany? 40 teams! We'll end up playing the Pitcairn Islands in the group stage.

Terry Gibson's perm

As a football fan I can't remember the last time I felt like I was an important part of the whole thing. We don't really matter. To be honest I'm more pissed off about that tournament than the one in Qatar. At least we'll almost be able to walk from ground to ground. As for the one is Russia that's the worse one of the lot. I'll still go to all three, will just walk around looking miserable all the time whilst thinking why have I done this?

Wish it did stay like that. Can you imagine what it's going to be like in Germany? 40 teams! We'll end up playing the Pitcairn Islands in the group stage.

Or worse still Scotland

Gazolba

I don't begrudge Wales their celebrations since they don't have much excuse to celebrate anything there. And as for the weaker teams in the World Cup, who is to say who is weaker? I mean Iceland beat Holland (twice) in qualifying and they beat England, Wales beat a team filled with superstars in Belgium. However, I would like to see the Euros confined to 16 teams, so there are 4 groups of 4 with the top 2 in each group progressing.

CJ_covblaze

I don't begrudge Wales their celebrations since they don't have much excuse to celebrate anything there. And as for the weaker teams in the World Cup, who is to say who is weaker? I mean Iceland beat Holland (twice) in qualifying and they beat England, Wales beat a team filled with superstars in Belgium. However, I would like to see the Euros confined to 16 teams, so there are 4 groups of 4 with the top 2 in each group progressing.

As UEFA think that 16 isn't enough, rather than this 3rd place rubbish I'd prefer to see 4 groups of 5 with the top 2 going through. Still a maximum of 7 games per team. Might add a couple of days to the tournament but better than what they've come up with.

Users who are viewing this thread