Euro 2016 big thread (1 Viewer)

stupot07

Can't believe they've only won 1 game in 90 minutes out of 7 games in the tournament.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gazolba

I really liked the officials outfits, Yellow shirts, black shorts and yellow socks. Looked very neat. Would make a good strip for a team.

Gazolba

Can't help feeling this was a tournament England could have won if only we could have beaten Iceland. Then again we did have Hart in goal, so maybe not.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Watched the final in Majorca in an English bar. Had fans from both sides there, although Portugese fans only surfaced when they scored!

France were unlucky but seemed to tire quicker. Portugal must be the most fortunate team ever to win a Euro final the way their tournament has gone!

SkyBlueSid

It was a poor final which was entirely fitting after a poor tournament. The fact that a mediocre team managed to scrape to the trophy was fitting too. They were a boring, dreary team with no ambition beyond avoiding defeat and winning after finishing third in their group makes a mockery of tournament play.

There have been about three or four good matches out of over 50 and I doubt anyone will remember much about either the tournament or the winners. Get it back to the 8 best teams, so that you have to qualify as group winners to get there. The alternative is more of this rubbish in 4 years time.

Pipehitterz

It's hard to look back and think, they deserted it etc.
I wish we could say they wanted it more or that their desire was like wales, northern Ireland or Iceland, but we can't.

Very very strange tournament , honestly can say we and Germany were the Best footballing sides ,
Bar the Iceland game, where we did still have 70% possession , where we played clueless, the first 3 games we completed slaughtered teams.

Time for a real change I think, the more I think about it , the new england manager won't turn things around, but realistically , the manager after will.
Time for interim manager that is no nonsense , and won't pick princesses in his team.
Only one name I can see on the list is big sam, he never makes excuses in interviews , and has a real fighting spirit.

Maybe after that it'll be wengers turn?

Covstu

It's hard to look back and think, they deserted it etc.
I wish we could say they wanted it more or that their desire was like wales, northern Ireland or Iceland, but we can't.

Very very strange tournament , honestly can say we and Germany were the Best footballing sides ,
Bar the Iceland game, where we did still have 70% possession , where we played clueless, the first 3 games we completed slaughtered teams.

Time for a real change I think, the more I think about it , the new england manager won't turn things around, but realistically , the manager after will.
Time for interim manager that is no nonsense , and won't pick princesses in his team.
Only one name I can see on the list is big sam, he never makes excuses in interviews , and has a real fighting spirit.

Maybe after that it'll be wengers turn?
Really? we slaughtered teams??? Really disagree with this, all three teams sat back and invited us on and we failed to break down 2 of the 3 teams. Exactly the same happened the next round where we come across a team who opened us up through basic tactics and worked on both occasions.

ajsccfc

A lot's been made over Portugal only winning one game over 90 minutes in the whole tournament, but that's what they came up with extra time for. The only team to go undefeated in the whole thing (although a few teams out on penalties may be counted as drawing their games), so it's hard to argue that a tournament largely based around teams trying not to lose was won by the only team to completely succeed.

The group stages needs a change, the idea of 75% of all teams going through and then the knockout stages being too heavily weighted depending on a table of third placed finishes can go swivel. They won't change it back to 16 teams so may as well go with 32 and have a proper group stage of 2 in, 2 out and a knockout format where first plays second. It means half of Europe will get through qualifying but that's better than three quarters of the competition getting through the groups.

Pipehitterz

Really? we slaughtered teams??? Really disagree with this, all three teams sat back and invited us on and we failed to break down 2 of the 3 teams. Exactly the same happened the next round where we come across a team who opened us up through basic tactics and worked on both occasions.
Really disagree? Wow, I know we're all sore about Iceland, but with the chances we created and failed to put Away, we should have scored 4 in each game.

Doesn't matter if we're invited on, all 3 teams were shit scared of us

Covstu

It was a poor final which was entirely fitting after a poor tournament. The fact that a mediocre team managed to scrape to the trophy was fitting too. They were a boring, dreary team with no ambition beyond avoiding defeat and winning after finishing third in their group makes a mockery of tournament play.

There have been about three or four good matches out of over 50 and I doubt anyone will remember much about either the tournament or the winners. Get it back to the 8 best teams, so that you have to qualify as group winners to get there. The alternative is more of this rubbish in 4 years time.
For me the structure was wrong not the volume of teams in the tournament. I think N Ireland, wales, Iceland etc made the tournament but the fact that three of the four teams qualified just resulted in no teams going for it and sitting back. You only have to look at Portugal to see how daft this was. Cut the next round out and only the top 2 qualify then you will see a more attacking tournament as every game is vital in the group stage and they cannot sit back with draws. I think we would have seen a better tournament and had all of the smaller nations in (best of both worlds and all that).

The next one is sadly going to be worse as its spread over Europe!

Pipehitterz

A lot's been made over Portugal only winning one game over 90 minutes in the whole tournament, but that's what they came up with extra time for. The only team to go undefeated in the whole thing, so it's hard to argue that a tournament largely based around teams trying not to lose was won by the only team to completely succeed.

The group stages needs a change, the idea of 75% of all teams going through and then the knockout stages being too heavily weighted depending on a table of third placed finishes can go swivel. They won't change it back to 16 teams so may as well go with 32 and have a proper group stage of 2 in, 2 out and a knockout format where first plays second. It means half of Europe will get through qualifying but that's better than three quarters of the competition getting through the groups.
totally agree. Make the qualifiers the boring part , Make the teams Work for first and Second again

Covstu

Really disagree? Wow, I know we're all sore about Iceland, but with the chances we created and failed to put Away, we should have scored 4 in each game.

No they had a game plan and it worked. All three teams played for the draw and 2 of them got it, either they are tactically superb or we were just inept infront of goal. I am sick of people saying we dominated games when the opposition parked two buses infront of goal, if we didn't dominate then there would be something seriously wrong!

Pipehitterz

No they had a game plan and it worked. All three teams played for the draw and 2 of them got it, either they are tactically superb or we were just inept infront of goal. I am sick of people saying we dominated games when the opposition parked two buses infront of goal, if we didn't dominate then there would be something seriously wrong!
So Sheffield United were better than cov in that Away game last year?

Pipehitterz

You think I'm wrong. I think your wrong.
Sitting back is usually a very good observation that you're playing the team that are a lot better than you

Otis

They certainly paid us an awful lot of respect and had Harry Kane been on form I think we would have scored a few goals.

Russia were lucky against us. I guess you can call it a plan, but it wasn't really was it. They didn't have a single shot from between the 17th to the 90th minute, so unless they are tactical geniuses who knew they would get one chance on the 90th minute and would score from it, they got lucky. Can't see how Russia were tactically superb. We had the game won and then out of the blue they had one chance and scored from it.

We had Wales pinned back, though they then did also choose to play very deep.

We dominated Slovakia but huffed and puffed a bit in the final third. Once we all knew that Kane was badly out of form for the tournament and then so too, Sterling, we knew in our hearts we would struggle to score goals.

Against Iceland we were truly dreadful and it was a very embarrassing effort.

Had we gone into the competition with our shooting boots on we would have obviously done a lot better.

Covstu

Not sure what point you are trying to make (clearly a poor one) but they didn't park the bus did they?? was it a draw, did they play three teams and only won one?? Piss poor comparison pal

stupot07

Agreed, all 3 teams in the group stage sat back and let us have the ball.

ajsccfc

I'm definitely remembering it wrong, but it felt as though Lallana could have bagged a hat-trick against Russia. Seems so long ago now, that game.

Otis

I'm definitely remembering it wrong, but it felt as though Lallana could have bagged a hat-trick against Russia. Seems so long ago now, that game.
I recall two and obviously against Wales we are all scratching our heads as to how Sterling didn't score that one when through on the keeper.

Otis

Maybe we get points for effort now then......
Our play in the final third let us down. Lallana has proved he is not a player who gives us goals. Then Kane and Sterling were completely off form and Sturridge was pushed out on the wings.

Poor tactics and out of form players. Bottom line is, we didn't put our chances away.

stupot07

Our play in the final third let us down. Lallana has proved he is not a player who gives us goals. Then Kane and Sterling were completely off form and Sturridge was pushed out on the wings.

Poor tactics and out of form players. Bottom line is, we didn't put our chances away.
Therefore the bottom line is we weren't good enough.

ajsccfc

On the plus side, France conceded two knockout goals to Iceland too which proves beyond a doubt our defence is at least on the runners-up level. DON'T QUESTION THE LOGIC

Otis

Therefore the bottom line is we weren't good enough.

Agree. Just don't buy into this generalised view of England not being good enough though.

Had we had players on form we would have done much better.

For me it was the systems and formations in tandem with unfit and out of form players.

THAT is what needs addressing.

It happens every time. Ill preparation and wrong tactics and lack of spirit and fight.

It is mental as much as anything else.

stupot07

Agree. Just don't buy into this generalised view of England not being good enough though.

Had we had players on form we would have done much better.

For me it was the systems and formations in tandem with unfit and out of form players.

THAT is what needs addressing.

It happens every time. Ill preparation and wrong tactics and lack of spirit and fight.

It is mental as much as anything else.
Its the same every tournament.

Otis

Its the same every tournament.

Yep. Happens every time.

Our shooting was pretty abysmal this time out too.

Just how many times did we have shots that were hit straight at the keeper? It was ridiculous.

ajsccfc

There was a lot of that in general. In addition to some woeful finishing I don't remember seeing as much in the way of over/underhit crosses and miscontrol across the board in a tournament before. Not even the ball's fault this time like it normally is either.

Users who are viewing this thread