F1 2021 (2 Viewers)

xcraigx

In a way this ending is just so sad. I know a few people who watched today who are either occasional watchers or not usually bothered at all and they are now moaning it's crap and they won't bother again. None of them are invested in either driver so as far as I can tell it's not sour grapes.

It's only F1 (and maybe cricket) that can shoot itself in the foot so spectacularly when the product on offer is at it's best in my 30 odd years of watching.

Both drivers are of a class I don't think I've ever seen (although that's an argument to be had). Certainly I don't think we've had two such good competitors in the sport at the same time in my time watching and this should be takeaway from this season but it's just going to descend into more acrimony and more grumbling and that's probably going to rumble on for for foreseeable. That's sad.

covcity4life

Sad to see people getting so angry and personal over this. It's a sporting moment that will be remembered forever wether the one u wanted won or not.

NorthernWisdom

That was bullshit, they seemed to make the rules up at the end. Whether you're a max or Lewis fan it's a shit way to end. 11 seconds behind, hes been able to pit stop and get brand new tyres, coming back on with 6-7 cars inbetween and they have basically told them all to move out the way and max started dead level with Lewis for the last lap

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I would say it was a mistake not to bring Hamilton in for tyres but... I honestly have no idea if they'd have done the same if Verstappen had stayed out on used tyres and been in the lead and that's... not right.

Paul Anthony

I would say it was a mistake not to bring Hamilton in for tyres but... I honestly have no idea if they'd have done the same if Verstappen had stayed out on used tyres and been in the lead and that's... not right.

Thing is if they'd pitted him that would have put him behind Max, he was just close enough. And the Mercedes really struggles in dirty air. I'm not sure it'd have had the same pace if it'd been behind. Plus, it leaves them open to Max forgetting how brakes work again.

covcity4life

Glad the overtaker won despite not having his place given back to him. Talks bout overcoming all odds!

Fortune favours the brave!

NorthernWisdom

Thing is if they'd pitted him that would have put him behind Max, he was just close enough. And the Mercedes really struggles in dirty air. I'm not sure it'd have had the same pace if it'd been behind. Plus, it leaves them open to Max forgetting how brakes work again.
If the same had happened though, it'd have been the same result in reverse wouldn't it - soft tyres outclassing a struggling car, and the Merc has had sensational pace the past few races. No coming together as the Merc would have breezed past.

But... would the cars have been asked to move aside then? I'd like to think there'd be some consistency but, who knows!

This one's up there with the ridiculous Belgian 'race' as an abomination to a sport.

CCFCSteve

Yeah, just appeared timing and luck were with Verstappen. No lose gamble for him to pit

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Lewis has cool hair and doesn't sport a sweaty adolescent attempt at a moustache. So there. That'll never change.

Paul Anthony

If the same had happened though, it'd have been the same result in reverse wouldn't it - soft tyres outclassing a struggling car, and the Merc has had sensational pace the past few races. No coming together as the Merc would have breezed past.

But... would the cars have been asked to move aside then? I'd like to think there'd be some consistency but, who knows!

This one's up there with the ridiculous Belgian 'race' as an abomination to a sport.

You do raise a good point. If you assume Max would have done the opposite and stayed out, then yeah, it would have been reversed. As I say though, it would still have put them close to Max, and I'm not sure they trusted that to end well. Even with fresher tires and better grip.

NorthernWisdom

You do raise a good point. If you assume Max would have done the opposite and stayed out, then yeah, it would have been reversed. As I say though, it would still have put them close to Max, and I'm not sure they trusted that to end well. Even with fresher tires and better grip.
I suspect ultimately it was a gamble that there wouldn't have been any more racing, so pitting to go second makes you lose the title, and look like a total moron.

Frostie

And also what if the race never restarted?
As we have all said, Lewis was dammed if he did, damned if he didn't.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Is everyone missing the fact that Mercedes had 2 chances to pit Lewis and didnt?

Blame them not Masi

At which point max wouldn't have pitted.

The issue is no-one is sure that whether in that scenario the cars would have been told to overtake and the SC pulled in. They literally changed their minds on a whim and pretty much gifted it to Verstappen.

NorthernWisdom

No doubt they probably weren't the best at strategy. Red Bull had that option and took it, that's fair enough. That's racing. My problem is the one I've had for the last couple of seasons with Masi. He's out of his depth.
Yeah, this one is neither driver nor team's fault, it's all on the race director not having a clue what's going on himself!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I suspect ultimately it was a gamble that there wouldn't have been any more racing, so pitting to go second makes you lose the title, and look like a total moron.

Yes it was a gamble, but they looked at the damaged car and debris, then at the number of cars Verstappen would have to overtake if racing was restarted or the time it would take for all the lapped cars to unlap themselves.

In the end at the last minute they decided to let just the first five cars overtake (who just happened to be the five between Max and Lewis) and then restarted the race.

That is not something I think they could have expected to happen and it screwed them over. If there had been an extra lap after this or they'd made the decision to let cars overtake early so they all could, fine. But they didn't and it leaves an incredibly bitter taste.

Paul Anthony

Sad to see people getting so angry and personal over this. It's a sporting moment that will be remembered forever wether the one u wanted won or not.

I've watched this sport a long time. That's the most farcical end to a title I've ever seen (I wasn't around when Prost and Senna had their incidentz and I wasn't into it when n Schumacher and Hill/Villenueve had their incidents.)

For me, it's not about who won it today. It's the manner it happened. I said after Mexico Max clearly deserved to win. Lewis on the basis of the last few races deserved it too.

What I object to is the race director deciding something, having Horner on the blower, (Toto isn't innocent in this either, by the way) and then suddenly that decision is changed with one lap to go. Once the race director has made a decision, that's it. It should be stuck to. That's the way it has ALWAYS been.

covcity4life

I've watched this sport a long time. That's the most farcical end to a title I've ever seen (I wasn't around when Prost and Senna had their incidentz and I wasn't into it when n Schumacher and Hill/Villenueve had their incidents.)

For me, it's not about who won it today. It's the manner it happened. I said after Mexico Max clearly deserved to win. Lewis on the basis of the last few races deserved it too.

What I object to is the race director deciding something, having Horner on the blower, (Toto isn't innocent in this either, by the way) and then suddenly that decision is changed with one lap to go. Once the race director has made a decision, that's it. It should be stuck to. That's the way it has ALWAYS been.
Exciting though

Users who are viewing this thread