George Thomas (4 Viewers)

Esoterica

He certainly isn't ready for the Premier League or the Championship that's for sure. He wouldn't get first team football in either of those leagues.

Best scenario for him is to get snapped up and then loaned back to a League One or Two club (preferably us).
I'm not a big fan of the loan back for a season after a sale. I thought Maddison's head was gone after that January sale and it turned him into a Billy big bollocks. Can also have an affect on those around him too. Not a risk I'd want to take if we're having a proper crack at promotion.

Nick

Administrator
Can't blame him, he will go there for 3 or 4k a week and probably get loaned out for a season or two.

Gint11

If he wants to go let him, cash in and improve the squad. No point crying over it. No player we have now would lace the boots of the players we use to have back in the day...those players were worth being upset about when they left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Dart

Why wasn't he offered a contract last season.
I'm sure he was but this is a Division 4 club with a Division 4 budget.

steve82

Why wasn't he offered a contract last season.

He hadn't shown what he did towards the end of the season.
If we'd off offered him a contract last summer then jack finch would of got a new one too most likely

shmmeee

What's the average wage of a new academy graduate?

Just wondering what the cost benefit is of keeping a player on for another year. It's not like you can't give them away for free under contract or come to a mutual agreement.

I mean Thomas was our top scorer in the U23s last year. He was hardly bottom of the pile in terms of players to keep. Anyone making first team appearances would get a deal at another club IMO.

SlowerThanPlatt

What's the average wage of a new academy graduate?

Just wondering what the cost benefit is of keeping a player on for another year. It's not like you can't give them away for free under contract or come to a mutual agreement.

I'd say about £300-£350 a week at CCFC for the 18 year olds coming in. They would have been £120 a week as a scholar (same at every club) so quite a big increase

ajsccfc

And this is the future of CCFC under Sisu
Anyone who shows a ounce of being a half decent player will be off or sold for a quick quid

And that is why we are where we are and why we will stay where we are

We've always done the same even when a lot higher than where we are.

shmmeee

I'd say about £300-£350 a week at CCFC for the 18 year olds coming in. They would have been £120 a week as a scholar (same at every club) so quite a big increase

£18k/year to keep a player on then (plus NI and admin). Hmmm, I suppose it only takes 5 or 6 duds to eat into any lost profit from the odd gem.

Liquid Gold

£18k/year to keep a player on then (plus NI and admin). Hmmm, I suppose it only takes 5 or 6 duds to eat into any lost profit from the odd gem.
Depends really doesn't it. Maddison and Wilson will have kept the academy going on their own for a few years. We have sell on clauses on those 2 too so if Wilson went for the £20M that was quoted last season what we'd get from that could keep us running for years. Although I suppose then you get people complaining we haven't spent loads to buy players immediately.

AFCCOVENTRY

Depends really doesn't it. Maddison and Wilson will have kept the academy going on their own for a few years. We have sell on clauses on those 2 too so if Wilson went for the £20M that was quoted last season what we'd get from that could keep us running for years. Although I suppose then you get people complaining we haven't spent loads to buy players immediately.

Unfortunately I think Wilson won't ever get that big money move that was mooted last year. He is too injury prone for a big club to take a gamble on him.

Captain Dart

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Whilst I fully support having a academy I think the referrals to Wilson and Madison funding it are over stating things.

Surely you have to look at it as cost centres. The value of those players to the academy is their value at the point they signed their first team contract and left the academy not the value when sold after playing, sometimes for years, in the first team. There is cost process and experience put in by the first team that largely gets ignored. To put the "profit" down the academy alone is mis stating things.

So is the academy really as profitable as claimed if you isolate the profit/cost centres properly?

AFCCOVENTRY

I just want Robins to get that money quick and sign some more top players...

Of course that's if he's allowed any of the transfer or componsation fee.

steve82

If they have bid it could hopefully start a bidding war

Not sure it will be a bidding war as it's more a severance package as opposed to buying from the club.
I'd imagine Swansea or any other suitors would only need to match any offers tabled

mark82

Think we need to write Thomas off now. Majority of footballers these days would rather play reserve team football for more money than to prove themselves at a lower level and work their way up. Would be surprised if George signs on at this stage, if he wanted to stay would've signed earlier.

ccfcway

£750k is peanuts for both Swansea and Leicester. Just chancing their arm at unearthing a gem and if not, flog him for the same money to a championship team in 12 months

SkyBlue_Bear83

Not sure it will be a bidding war as it's more a severance package as opposed to buying from the club.
I'd imagine Swansea or any other suitors would only need to match any offers tabled

G Thomas is out of contract so he can choose to sign for whoever he wants.

If Swansea come in with an offer and Thomas decides he wants to go there, then we can't reject the bid. If we didn't like the compo offered by Swansea we would force it to a tribunal.

steve82

G Thomas is out of contract so he can choose to sign for whoever he wants.

If Swansea come in with an offer and Thomas decides he wants to go there, then we can't reject the bid. If we didn't like the compo offered by Swansea we would force it to a tribunal.

Correct, they table a fee they think is suitable and it's a take or leave it job. If not it goes to the PFCC to decide the fee

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

If I remember rightly, this is the minimum we can get now. Once a team makes an offer if he signs for Swansea the tribunal will start compo at this much.

I'm sure I read that's why Burnley touted Danny Ings to Spurs

Users who are viewing this thread